• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

So is
Stayliff the longest post game dungeon?
Because I'm really not enjoying myself right now. I could tolerate the other ones but idk if I could stomach
100 floors
of this.

RangerBAD

So is
Stayliff the longest post game dungeon?
Because I'm really not enjoying myself right now. I could tolerate the other ones but idk if I could stomach
100 floors
of this.

It took me about 5-6 hours. Don't know about Crostholm one or whatever, but I do know you can't use items. The design is the same as Stayliff.

Somnia

How can I get rid of the black borders on my PS4 Pro with this game? In game display doesn't fix shit and no other game or piece of media is causing black borders.

It took me about 5-6 hours. Don't know about Crostholm one or whatever, but I do know you can't use items. The design is the same as Stayliff.

Would you say it's worth it? Because I'm really contemplating just skipping over the rest. As they're pretty bad imo. I was prepared to 100% this game, but this dungeon just ruined that.

How can I get rid of the black borders on my PS4 Pro with this game? In game display doesn't fix shit and no other game or piece of media is causing black borders.

the new update set the screen to what ever setting your ps4's display area is set to. adjust it in DISPLAY on settings

i'm really disappointed in the trophy designer btw, there is so much more to do in this game and they didn't bother implimenting them into the trophies.

how about some more interesting ones! Really hope the DLC charcater stories will have more trophies.

Well, yeah, the best sword is down there and it'll complete that part of the quest.

Wish it at least gave you some indication of how far down you are. I wasn't keeping track myself because I didn't know going in it'd be this long. Don't know whether to bow out or keep going.

Why would only FFXV have the black bars though?

Guess I'm confused. Will changing my PS4 display mess up other games and make me adjust for them?

most games don't bother checking the ps4 setting and have their own failsafe setting. Driveclub uses ps4's setting, and so does GTAV (although instead of black bars, it moves the HUD)

you should be fine to change the area and it wont affect those games because they arent going by that anyway.

Somnia

FF15 had an overscan issue on some TVs. I imagine the quickest fix was using the system settings.

most games don't bother checking the ps4 setting and have their own failsafe setting. Driveclub uses ps4's setting, and so does GTAV (although instead of black bars, it moves the HUD)

you should be fine to change the area and it wont affect those games because they arent going by that anyway.

Sounds good, thanks for the help all. Was really pissing me off lol

cj_iwakura

Noct Gar, the ACE OF SEAFOOD.

C0j18U8UkAASPVh.jpg

JaseMath

I want to keep playing, but it's so windy here, the power keeps going out every 45 minutes and I don't know how bad that is for my electronics–namely my 4K set and my PS4Pro.

:( :( :(

EDIT: Actually, how bad is that? I have my setup plugged in a surge protector, but two hours into my gaming session (and after the third or fourth surge/split-second outage that reset everything), I turned everything off. Should I unplug everything? Seriously asking.

Jesus
I just pass the 2nd dungeon and it was boring and long as hell
No way I'm going to do the rest
I'm just gonna reach level 10 of survival skill for the Platinum trophy and that is, I'm done with this game.
Casual

I get it, game is not for everyone.

LordKasual

Banned
Would you say it's worth it? Because I'm really contemplating just skipping over the rest. As they're pretty bad imo. I was prepared to 100% this game, but this dungeon just ruined that.

Just completed Costlemark Sealed. If you arent enjoying that one, then probably not.

The fights in the really long one are intended to make you waste your items up. The fights in Costlemark are more about clever gear use and mastery of the combat, since you can't use any items (even after battle) so the camps between fights are your only means of recovering max HP. Now that i finished Costlemark, I guess that the really long one was kind of warming you up for the same thing?

It was a blast for me, though. I really wish the whole game felt like this.

That moment in a Final Fantasy game where you're staring at your party equipment menu contemplating how to survive is what I endgame for.

heytred

Neo Member
Question regarding the Stats page on the Ascension tree.

Does anyone know if the stat growth unlocks only apply to levels gained *after* it was unlocked?

For context: I was wondering if it were possible to max out character stats by using the Nixperience Band from level 1, AP farming after hitting chapter 3, unlocking all the stat growth boosts, then actually leveling. Obviously this would be moot if the growth is just based off "levels gained" overall.

newsguy

Quick question. I've never ever played a FF game. I'm older now and basically more open minded when it comes to games. Will I enjoy this, or are there series specific things like inventory stuff or strategies that will piss me off if I'm not a long time player?

Edit: I'm asking cause I bought this at $40 last night on impulse and wondering if I should open it.

Adaren

Does anyone know if the stat growth unlocks only apply to levels gained *after* it was unlocked?

For context: I was wondering if it were possible to max out character stats by using the Nixperience Band from level 1, AP farming after hitting chapter 3, unlocking all the stat growth boosts, then actually leveling. Obviously this would be moot if the growth is just based off "levels gained" overall.

It's retroactive. There's no min-maxing; you can pick those nodes up at any level and get the same effect in the end.

LordKasual

Banned

It's your current level multiplied by whatever the node bonus is.

Those nodes on the stat tree are worthless in a Lv-1 run. Which is fine, because it frees up AP for other skills.

I just completed the hardest endgame dungeon and I don't have the 2nd or 3rd HP boost one, though. I didn't buy the Spirit upgrade until fairly recently.

Quick question. I've never ever played a FF game. I'm older now and basically more open minded when it comes to games. Will I enjoy this, or are there series specific things like inventory stuff or strategies that will piss me off if I'm not a long time player?

Edit: I'm asking cause I bought this at $40 last night on impulse and wondering if I should open it.

In terms of game design and mechanics, XV is completely different from every other final fantasy.

LordKasual

Banned

FF is a fairly straightforward game, with the exception of FF8 there really aren't many overly complicated systems, just a couple of well-designed small ones. It's pretty easy to get into.

You should be able to play most of this game like an action game and get by just fine.

heytred

Neo Member
It's retroactive. There's no min-maxing; you can pick those nodes up at any level and get the same effect in the end.

That's what I thought - I kind of wish that wasn't the case because I love the idea of trying to break FF games. Basically what I did with all the old titles.

Oh well. :(

SephLuis

Got my platinum. Stopped on the 6th camp of that dungeon.

That's it for me. Loved the game, but I am already satisfied. Now I can focus on finishing Trails CS2.

BriGuy

I am really, very deeply impressed with this game.

I was predicting a train wreck and I was so wrong.

Well, it's not a national tragedy at least. But at the end, it does go off the rails. Its momentum is enough to carry it to the station though, and no one is too badly injured. That's FFXV as a train analogy.

LordKasual

Banned
How does your camera angle capture the action so well? Every time I'm in a fight I just button mash because I can't see what's going on.

Well most of that is just using the right stick while you fight

The rest probably has to do with the fact the gifs are cropped, so he can move the image and give the illusion that the camera is better at tracking action than it really is.

Well, it's not a national tragedy at least. But at the end, it does go off the rails. Its momentum is enough to carry it to the station though, and no one is too badly injured. That's FFXV as a train analogy.

Honestly, this game didn't start to lose momentum at all until the middle of Chapter 13 for me.

Towards the end, all i could really think was "why didn't the earlier half of the game have sections like this".

TheMan

Whoever decided that the jump button and the accept/gather button should be the same button needs to get punched in the dick.

JaseMath

How does your camera angle capture the action so well? Every time I'm in a fight I just button mash because I can't see what's going on.

Me too. My biggest qualm with the game is the camera during battles. It's all over the damn place.

hughesta

Banned
HOLD THE FUCK UP

I have to go through all four paths in Costlemark AGAIN just to do this Jabberwock hunt? Who the fuck thought that was a good idea?

So, I'm 12 hours in (from starting yesterday) and, I have to say, I'm actually, genuinely, very impressed with the game. Once you get a feel for the combat, it really has a nice flow. I'm not even that far in or, at least, it doesn't feel like I am, but I kind of feel had I not watched Kingsglaive, I wouldn't have a clue what was going on.

LordKasual

Banned
Whoever decided that the jump button and the accept/gather button should be the same button needs to get punched in the dick.

Traditional localization methods since PS1 days are responsible for this shit. (swapping X and O). I played the Judgement Disc demo and the "ok" button was Circle. If an item was in range, you'd just hold circle and Noctis would automatically run towards it and pick all of them up. Felt great.

Now, you can still hold Circle to have noctis run to an item, but you still have to play the bunny game to get it.

Top Bottom