• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

LordKasual

Banned
it happened. the turtle hit me out the area when i had it down to half health.

How does this happen to people? The area is way too massive for any attack to knock you that far, unless it's a glitch.

Which i can understand, god damn the hurtboxes on that fight were terrible. If i didn't randomly find out you were intended to attack his feet first I probably would have ragequit that fight. I love the hell out of this game but that fight was horribly designed.

But luckily, it's incredibly easy. I could have beaten that fight in my 70s if i wanted, lv99 isn't even needed, it's mostly just an endurance trial. And god damn, the reward was worth it, especially for the final sealed dungeon.

I feel that a few of the good ff games fell apart towards the end. In fact, I think the only bad final fantasy is 13, which was aggressively bad right from the off. I'm just shocked that what I've seen in the first 10 hours works and is ambitious. I was expecting the worst,

This game is stupid ambitious, and considering the problems the development had it's a wonder the game isn't just flat-out broken.

LordKasual

Banned
Gaff isn't mostly hating on the first 6 or even 10 hours though.

Gaf hates everything about FFXV

The only thing people consistently love about FFXV are the aspects and characters of it that never existed

Everything else? Unfinished, clunky, rushed, directionless mess lol

shenhaZ

Neo Member
Shit, I've just watched first FFXV E3 2013 trailer and started to feel a continuous phantom pain :(
p.s. only 25lvl in the game btw

To be fair, it's all of these things and I still love it. You could say ffxiii was the opposite of all those "qualities" and I hated it... So yeah *shrugs* second playthrough is still as awesome as the first.

vypek

Got the platinum not too long ago. The survival skill took a while. Might also clean up some missions. Well probably not the Cid ones. Those are taking too long to be able to give him another mission

JayEH

turtle is dead. took me about 2 hours. i didn't take any chances after getting screwed over last time so I picked a spot that seemed safe and didn't move for the most part. all this for a trophy, fuck me.

JBwB

turtle is dead. took me about 2 hours. i didn't take any chances after getting screwed over last time so I picked a spot that seemed safe and didn't move for the most part. all this for a trophy, fuck me.

What level are you all defeating the Adamantoise at? If you have the right setup the fight should only take around 30 minutes, 40 at the most.

massoluk

Banned

Uh...Didn't take me that long at 60ish level, what level?
I got this for Christmas and have been playing it for the last 6-7 hours straight. This game is fantastic thus far, definitely have to disagree with the folks on GAF hating on it.
What chapter are you at, I don't think the storytelling go off the rail yet at 6 hours

Vorheez

Is the endgame content any good? Like, what is there to do?

I've also been a little disappointed with how slowly new weapons become available, and the lack of variety. I'm on chapter 8 and I'm level 30. Does the weapon variety increase as I go? I love the game otherwise!

heytred

Neo Member

I've also been a little disappointed with how slowly new weapons become available, and the lack of variety. I'm on chapter 8 and I'm level 30. Does the weapon variety increase as I go? I love the game otherwise!

I'm having fun with it. There's a decent set of weapon quests that are basically beefy hunts. The dungeon vaults are alright - they're nothing amazing in my opinion, but worth doing. Pitioss Ruins was hands down my favorite end game bit of content. It's a platform focused, Noct only dungeon.

cyress8

Banned

You have to find most of them and good chunk are towards the end. Some of the armiger weapons are great for changing up how you fight. Sword of the Tall is fucking awesome. Chainsaw greatsword with a badass warpstrike attack.

Having not watched Kingsglaive, the introductory cutscene for chapter 3 was borderline nonsense.

Yeah, I was watching it and thinking to myself that if you never watched Kingsglaive, there's absolutely no context for anything that's happening here. Kingsglaive sets everything up much better than I expected, it's not a great standalone film, but it provides so much context to the game and does a good job with establishing narrative. I think this is the danger of multi-media experiences and it's probably not the best way to present a story.

MilkBeard

I got this for Christmas and have been playing it for the last 6-7 hours straight. This game is fantastic thus far, definitely have to disagree with the folks on GAF hating on it.

I don't get the hate, but even after playing for about 4-5 hours, I can tell the story is a little bit messy, and some of the early complaints about that are pretty accurate.

However, at the same time, the gameplay, feel of the world, and the character banter is excellent for the most part, so I always feel excited to jump back into the game.

For a video game, and for a Final Fantasy game, this is great to feel this way. A lot of good, big games that release I try and I don't feel interested to come back after playing.

Gameplay-wise, it is the modern Final Fantasy that I wanted for a long time. Let's hope next time they can get a hold of the story before they start developing it so it doesn't have to be pieced together like this.

However, I must say, the person who wrote the character banter is ace. I want that person writing Final Fantasy character dialogue from now on. They definitely brought back the fun, quirky charm of the older games that I liked so much.

However, I must say, the person who wrote the character banter is ace. I want that person writing Final Fantasy character dialogue from now on. They definitely brought back the fun, quirky charm of the older games that I liked so much.

Holy... Thinking on it, their banter does remind me a lot of Woolsey's FF6 translation. Probably a coincidence, but with so much else taken from FF6 I wouldn't be completely shocked if the tone was taken from there (think the Returner's hideout)

RockmanBN

Finished the game and I liked the ending for what it was. Game is obviously rushed but I seemed to enjoy latter story than rhe beginning. I couldn't even understand what was going on until I was nearing endgame. The trip with the bros was great but, the story was had a lot of plot holes.

RSDTrrI.gif

I don't get the hate, but even after playing for about 4-5 hours, I can tell the story is a little bit messy, and some of the early complaints about that are pretty accurate.

However, at the same time, the gameplay, feel of the world, and the character banter is excellent for the most part, so I always feel excited to jump back into the game.

For a video game, and for a Final Fantasy game, this is great to feel this way. A lot of good, big games that release I try and I don't feel interested to come back after playing.

Gameplay-wise, it is the modern Final Fantasy that I wanted for a long time. Let's hope next time they can get a hold of the story before they start developing it so it doesn't have to be pieced together like this.

Having finished the main story (but not all of the post-game content), this is exactly my take as well. The weakness of the patchwork story is made up for by the charm of the characters, and the wonderful, modern feel and design make the non-story scripted experiences (like dungeons) a real treat. I'm very optimistic about the DLC expanding this world and gameplay, though I think the ship has sailed on getting a cohesive story.

A Final Fantasy that kept the charm and modern sheen but tightened up the narrative would be a Witcher 3-esque GOTY sweep.

EDIT: This is definitely my personal GOTY, but it's not going to be the decisive winner of many awards.

Gaf hates everything about FFXV

The only thing people consistently love about FFXV are the aspects and characters of it that never existed

I have never been a FF fan I a think there is A LOT of things wrong with the game but IDK, I still enjoy it even with some of the dungeons being almost torture to me (fuck precise platforming!). I got my Platinum trophy at about the 60 hour mark which usually means that's the end of me and the game for a while but I have keept going and finished every "?" Mission and all but one post dungeon quest that I'm preparing to tackle at this moment. I'm now almost at 100 hour so even with all my complaints I still play and having fun which I can't believe after doing the torture that are the post game dungeons :p.

I have never been a FF fan I a think there is A LOT of things wrong with the game but IDK, I still enjoy it even with some of the dungeons being almost torture to me (fuck precise platforming!). I got my Platinum trophy at about the 60 hour mark which usually means that's the end of me and the game for a while but I have keept going and finished every "?" Mission and all but one post dungeon quest that I'm preparing to tackle at this moment. I'm now almost at 100 hour so even with all my complaints I still play and having fun which I can't believe after doing the torture that are the post game dungeons :p.

Im up to this dungeon now, Noctis auto roll when he lands is pain in ass here.

I love the world, the four friends, and the battle system to a degree... but come on, the storytelling is a disaster, every other character that's not the main dudes is wasted like in no other game. Battle system is entertaining but it's a mess in many times. Magic is a pain in the ass and probably no one uses it. Side quest are lame Far Cry style (taking pictures, gathering rocks, collecting food, plants, car parts, feeding cats). I'm not the biggest fan of The Witcher but please, even Batman has scripts in their side quests.

I do like the game, as I said is entertaining but as a fan I'm really disappointed.

I love the world, the four friends, and the battle system to a degree... but come on, the storytelling is a disaster, every other character that's not the main dudes is wasted like in no other game. Battle system is entertaining but it's a mess in many times. Magic is a pain in the ass and probably no one uses it. Side quest are lame Far Cry style (taking pictures, gathering rocks, collecting food, plants, car parts, feeding cats). I'm not the biggest fan of The Witcher but please, even Batman has scripts in their side quests.

I do like the game, as I said is entertaining but as a fan I'm really disappointed.

Magic is great. I used it a lot at the beginning and middle, especially against a pack of soldiers. I use combat more now since I'm max level though.

Bluenoser

Is there a recommended way to increase my skill tree? Seems complicated...

Start with some of the skills on the Exploration tree- they will help you accumulate AP faster to buy more skills- the staying at camp, and riding in car ones are probably enough. Investing in some new techs for your characters is good as well- especially Ignis- Mark isn't very good at all.

Obviously getting extra accessory slots is important too, and should be an early investment.

Also, I saw someone mention frustration about doing Costlemark again to re-fight Jabberwock, but why would you want to re-fight it? Or is that just to access the sealed dungeon? If it's for the meat, that can be purchased at hunter HQ for 5200 gil each.

Is there a recommended way to increase my skill tree? Seems complicated...

Beyond echoing the standard advice about getting skills which accumulate AP faster, I'd recommend that you get good at killing enemies with warp strikes. This gives you 1 bonus AP per kill, and over the course of the game can really add up. To that end, it's probably worth taking the skills which increase warp strike damage.

Deku Tree

Start with some of the skills on the Exploration tree- they will help you accumulate AP faster to buy more skills- the staying at camp, and riding in car ones are probably enough. Investing in some new techs for your characters is good as well- especially Ignis- Mark isn't very good at all.

Obviously getting extra accessory slots is important too, and should be an early investment.

Also, I saw someone mention frustration about doing Costlemark again to re-fight Jabberwock, but why would you want to re-fight it? Or is that just to access the sealed dungeon? If it's for the meat, that can be purchased at hunter HQ for 5200 gil each.

Beyond echoing the standard advice about getting skills which accumulate AP faster, I'd recommend that you get good at killing enemies with warp strikes. This gives you 1 bonus AP per kill, and over the course of the game can really add up. To that end, it's probably worth taking the skills which increase warp strike damage.

Thanks!

Just started playing, any tips?

Keep wait mode on, scan enemies to see what they are weak against.

Equiping weapons gives stat boosts, so even if there is a weapon that you dont like, check its stats to see if its worth equipping anyways.

Dont worry about doing every side quest you see in chapter 1, you unlock chocobos in chapter 3 and you can get around way faster.

The car has a shop, get the mp3 player from it and buy all the soundtracks you come across, also buy key items because you will likely need them for a quest later.

DO NOT SELL RARE COINS OR ORACLE ASCENSION COINS! If you need money do hunts.

Experiment with magic combinations, some seemingly worthless materials may dramatically increase spell potency.

Unlock the AP earning abilities first like getting ap for driving and riding chocobos. Dont get the xp earning abilities though, they are almost worthless.

Check enemies to see if they have appendages to break, breaking them causes the fight to become easier and will drop extra loot.

Have fun!

Deku Tree

Keep wait mode on, scan enemies to see what they are weak against.

Equiping weapons gives stat boosts, so even if there is a weapon that you dont like, check its stats to see if its worth equipping anyways.

Dont worry about doing every side quest you see in chapter 1, you unlock chocobos in chapter 3 and you can get around way faster.

The car has a shop, get the mp3 player from it and buy all the soundtracks you come across, also buy key items because you will likely need them for a quest later.

DO NOT SELL RARE COINS! If you need money do hunts.

Experiment with magic combinations, some seemingly worthless materials may dramatically increase spell potency.

Unlock the AP earning abilities first like getting ap for driving and riding chocobos. Dont get the xp earning abilities though, they are almost worthless.

Check enemies to see if they have appendages to break, breaking them causes the fight to become easier and will drop extra loot.

Have fun!

How do you know if something is a "key item" that you should buy?

UrbanRats

Just did chapter 13.
Why couldn't all magic in the game be this cool looking? :O

Story so far is worse than I could anticipate though.

As amazing as this game's battle system is to me, Adamantoise demonstrates every shortcoming of the combat. It's the camera tracking and the targeting. For about 90% of the fights in the game, targeting really doesn't matter, but on some of the larger enemies (Zu, Adamantoise, a few others) Noctis will orient his attack in a way that either misses the enemy or attacks an unintended part.

I think this is seen best with Iron Giant, he has a hurtbox on his hand but that's probably the worst place to try and attack him because he moves it so much. Adamantoise felt unplayable until I realized it was smarter to attack his sides than his face (and then I noticed that you can actually put him in Vulnerable state). But it was a chore simply hitting what was in front of me because of how the targeting works.
e.
Agreed. It is really holding back the combat
I have every achievement in the game, except the fishing expert one. I refuse to spend time fishing.

Put on a few podcasts and you're set.

0racle

Once I beat the game, and get all trophies is it suffice to say to say I completed the game. Is there a lot of end game stuff here? reason to continue to play? would I be missing out if I shelved it to play other things at this point?

Ingeniero

Once I beat the game, and get all trophies is it suffice to say to say I completed the game. Is there a lot of end game stuff here? reason to continue to play? would I be missing out if I shelved it to play other things at this point?
Well yeah.
Shelve it until the overpriced DLC is out.

I spent another 40 hours on the game after i got the platinum.

Theres a bunch of sidequests and hunts unrelated to the platinum.

0racle

I spent another 40 hours on the game after i got the platinum.

Theres a bunch of sidequests and hunts unrelated to the platinum.

ohh ok, so just the (subpar) side quests and and hunts? thats it? Any bosses/monsters that I would not normally see? I guess the hunt is what would have the monsters....

ohh ok, so just the (subpar) side quests and and hunts? thats it? Any bosses/monsters that I would not normally see? I guess the hunt is what would have the monsters....

The costlemark sealed dungeon was my favorite part of the entire game.

And yes there are unique enemies you havent seem yet.

AlanOC91

Just got
Ramuh

Question for those further. Does the game ever get.... I guess harder?

Sure I've had lots of hard battles and been out into critical mode 101 times as this stage but it's extremely easy to recover from it. I haven't had one game over screen yet.

Top Bottom