• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

heytred

Neo Member
So, I'm 12 hours in (from starting yesterday) and, I have to say, I'm actually, genuinely, very impressed with the game. Once you get a feel for the combat, it really has a nice flow. I'm not even that far in or, at least, it doesn't feel like I am, but I kind of feel had I not watched Kingsglaive, I wouldn't have a clue what was going on.

I think the combat gets even better as the game progresses - and, once you get a lot better at it (which likely will take some time) it's super rewarding to start up a new game and see how much of a difference it makes.

I will say the game gets much, much better as you go. I'm really glad it started with a more open world feel to it, but god damn... having linear aspects to it sure did contribute to a great narrative.

heytred

Neo Member
It's a fantastic game. Only the progression of the plot falls short of it being flawless. It's clear corners were cut.

Maybe I'm being too forgiving, but feel like it's less about 'cut corners' and more about the fact that doing meaningful 'post game' DLC would be difficult.

For example, SE has outlined that some additional content in the future will expand on Ravus' storyline. I feel like the chapter where Gladiolus takes a brief detour is another area where some sort of DLC might be injected. Just thoughts.

Marceles

HOLD THE FUCK UP

I have to go through all four paths in Costlemark AGAIN just to do this Jabberwock hunt? Who the fuck thought that was a good idea?

Everything resets after you beat the Jabberwock the first time? You can't just go through I think the bottom left path (maybe bottom right?) on the map to get back to the Jabberwock room?

Maybe I'm being too forgiving, but feel like it's less about 'cut corners' and more about the fact that doing meaningful 'post game' DLC would be difficult.

For example, SE has outlined that some additional content in the future will expand on Ravus' storyline. I feel like the chapter where Gladiolus takes a brief detour is another area where some sort of DLC might be injected. Just thoughts.
Apparently, there are rumors of another astral-like being included in Gladio's DLC

Jake2by4

Why the hell didn't you save?

I assumed it did and I wasn't even paying attention. If i'm up to it i'll do it tomorrow but now i'm highly upset.

I actually completed Pitioss Ruins and then immediately crashed the Regalia and wiped. I was pretty upset for a few minutes but actually had more fun going through a second time than the first.

Manual saved immediately after finishing.

Yea gonna do it tomorrow since now I remember thelay out but shit every other dungeon auto saves.

heytred

Neo Member
Game didn't even save after completing
Pitioss Ruins Dungeon
. Fuck this game.

I actually completed Pitioss Ruins and then immediately crashed the Regalia and wiped. I was pretty upset for a few minutes but actually had more fun going through a second time than the first.

Manual saved immediately after finishing.

LordKasual

Banned
Well, I guess i've defeated all the hardest content. I beat the ultimate weapon mark and all the Sealed dungeons. I probably have about 100 thousand sidequests still left undone, but luckly those aren't required for the hardest stuff. (Thank you Square). There's still that fucking godmode ass machine that randomly drops down and one-shots my team, but i can always boot up a save and hunt him later. (Not like he'll be hard to beat at my current state, especially not after enduring Costlemark Sealed)

Took me 123 hours of playtime. And it doesn't even feel like it. And i'm kind of wishing there was more. Worth every penny. All of this game's mechanical potential shows itself in the endgame optional dungeons. I really wish the regular game had more of this kind of feeling.

...now time to start my Level 1 playthrough!

TheMan

Traditional localization methods since PS1 days are responsible for this shit. (swapping X and O). I played the Judgement Disc demo and the "ok" button was Circle. If an item was in range, you'd just hold circle and Noctis would automatically run towards it and pick all of them up. Felt great.

Now, you can still hold Circle to have noctis run to an item, but you still have to play the bunny game to get it.

Jesus it would be sublime to just hold O to gather shit.

50 hours in now. Defeated the A
damantoise
superboss today, took just over an hour. Basically slashed him a bunch til Armiger filled up, used a Muscle Booster, Armiger'd, repeated. It was way easier than I thought but I was at level 99 so (Though that was the quest level).

Did the second easiest Sealed Dungeon. Ugh, they all look the same don't they? Not sure if I want to do more tbh. I know they're just going to get longer and longer. :/

Also, Ice Bombs DESTROY me so bad. Came super close to my first game over today, my party of 99 bros were all dead and Noctis had less than 1000 HP, they just kept multiplying and blowing up. Anyone else experience this?

damantoise
superboss today, took just over an hour. Basically slashed him a bunch til Armiger filled up, used a Muscle Booster, Armiger'd, repeated. It was way easier than I thought but I was at level 99 so (Though that was the quest level).

Did the second easiest Sealed Dungeon. Ugh, they all look the same don't they? Not sure if I want to do more tbh. I know they're just going to get longer and longer. :/

Also, Ice Bombs DESTROY me so bad. Came super close to my first game over today, my party of 99 bros were all dead and Noctis had less than 1000 HP, they just kept multiplying and blowing up. Anyone else experience this?

You have to finish bombs quickly or that will happen, they suck.

damantoise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7ONp-GC7vM

seriously, get some fire magic and you're set :)

ackl

damantoise

Yea, I experienced the same thing. I was too lazy to craft magic so I used Flametongue. It was really useful.

hughesta

Banned
damantoise

Jesus, I'm level 76 after 53 hours.

LordKasual

Banned
damantoise

There are only 2 layout types, but the enemies you encounter are quite different.

There are a certain type of bomb that quickly grows, explodes, and spawns like 5 more bombs and then they do it again. If you kill the special bomb, all its children will die too.

The best method to dealing with Ice/Thunder bombs is to just blow them away with magic ASAP.

JayEH

Does being in combat count towards leveling survival for gladio? Since the turtle will take forever to kill figure I should try combing the two trophies together.

Guys I'm lvl 33 and I've been banking all my xp since chapter 3 because I heard there's a place that offers 3x xp boos in ch 9. I just finished ch 7 I've saved up a little over 200,000 xp but some of the enemies their throwing at me are around lvl 45. Will I male it to ch9 fine or is it gonna be really tough finish and should I just use the 2x xp beach hotel now?

Guys I'm lvl 33 and I've been banking all my xp since chapter 3 because I heard there's a place that offers 3x xp boos in ch 9. I just finished ch 7 I've saved up a little over 200,000 xp but some of the enemies their throwing at me are around lvl 45. Will I male it to ch9 fine or is it gonna be really tough finish and should I just use the 2x xp beach hotel now?

The story will force you to use it, stay at the 2x inn.

Minamu

Thank you
No problem :)

I have every achievement in the game, except the fishing expert one. I refuse to spend time fishing.
You could try to go for catching one of each fish, could give it some meaning and a tangible goal. I haven't really been trying to level up, just caught maybe 5 fishes max per spot and I'm almost lvl 8 without little to no effort (besides buying the gear).

The next two chapters are very story and cutscene oriented, I don't think there were much fighting at all actually. Ch9 had a cool boss fight but it seemed pretty easy to beat, with just some regular soldiers before it. Not sure where this x3 boost place is, but if it's available in Ch8, it should be fine I think.

Edit: Once you're in Ch8, you'll soon get the chance to back from where you came, if you find it too difficult.

Fireblend

Banned
Am I messing up somehow by not making camp often and staying at hotels instead since I'd rather have the experience boost than anything else? Or should I be making camp and focusing on Ignis' cooking for some reason? Same for fishing.

Also, level 27 in chapter 3 feels pretty overpowered. Hope it stays like this, I'm in a "play it for the story" mood atm :p I just know a big obstacle would probably kill my drive.

No problem :)

You could try to go for catching one of each fish, could give it some meaning and a tangible goal. I haven't really been trying to level up, just caught maybe 5 fishes max per spot and I'm almost lvl 8 without little to no effort (besides buying the gear).

The next two chapters are very story and cutscene oriented, I don't think there were much fighting at all actually. Ch9 had a cool boss fight but it seemed pretty easy to beat, with just some regular soldiers before it. Not sure where this x3 boost place is, but if it's available in Ch8, it should be fine I think.

Edit: Once you're in Ch8, you'll soon get the chance to back from where you came, if you find it too difficult.

Thanks I'll keep pushing through than. I love that experience hoarding ring lol. Went from lvl10 to 33 the first time I used it. Also my mission with Cid upgrading weapons might be bugged? I have the raw materials but I can't handle them over he just keeps talking to me.

otapnam

Am I messing up somehow by not making camp often and staying at hotels instead since I'd rather have the experience boost than anything else? Or should I be making camp and focusing on Ignis' cooking for some reason? Same for fishing.

Also, level 27 in chapter 3 feels pretty overpowered. Hope it stays like this, I'm in a "play it for the story" mood atm :p I just know a big obstacle would probably kill my drive.

Nah. I mean you can play it however you want. Ignis meals are nice though. Once u get decent boosts - it beats paying 1.5-5k at the diners

reKon

Banned
How do you save XP that much XP? Do you guys let them game run through the entire night? And then just continue when it's light again?

Edit: oh shit, nvm. So that's what the Niexperience band is for, right?

How do you save XP that much XP? Do you guys let them game run through the entire night? And then just continue when it's light again?

Edit: oh shit, nvm. So that's what the Niexperience band is for, right?

You can use it that way yeah, just equip it right before you'd stay at an inn. For me I'd just do night hunts or fishing till morning.

JaseMath

Having not watched Kingsglaive, the introductory cutscene for chapter 3 was borderline nonsense.

I haven't watched it either and, so far, the entire game is nonsense. Having to piecemeal things together from loading screens and Umbra's random "spiritual messengers" is bullshit. It's so bad, I'm almost about to stop playing. It's laughably bad.

vypek

I have every achievement in the game, except the fishing expert one. I refuse to spend time fishing.

Fishing was one of the better ones for me. The grind for it wasn't as bad. This survival skill is annoying me though. Have my controller with a rubber band on it with infinite sprinting.
HOLD THE FUCK UP

I have to go through all four paths in Costlemark AGAIN just to do this Jabberwock hunt? Who the fuck thought that was a good idea?

Is it actually necessary? I feel like I found a way on the 3rd path

Minamu

Thanks I'll keep pushing through than. I love that experience hoarding ring lol. Went from lvl10 to 33 the first time I used it. Also my mission with Cid upgrading weapons might be bugged? I have the raw materials but I can't handle them over he just keeps talking to me.
It's a known glitch apparently. I think it tends to go away on its own over time. You can however only do one weapon at a time, you sure you're not in the waiting part of the quest? I takes a few days per weapon to get them ready.

I haven't watched it either and, so far, the entire game is nonsense. Having to piecemeal things together from loading screens and Umbra's random "spiritual messengers" is bullshit. It's so bad, I'm almost about to stop playing. It's laughably bad.

If you're playing for the story, you may as well quit now cause it only gets worse. No amount if kingsglaive is going to fix that. Maybe after the story patches and dlc you might give more enjoyment... But right now, most people are playing it for the game aspect.

I'm closing in on 100 hours between my two playthings, so it's got that right for me at least.

For learning recipes, not so far as I know. Either trial and error or get a guide. Or don't bother since it's not tied to any achievements or anything.

Crayon

Well, it's not a national tragedy at least. But at the end, it does go off the rails. Its momentum is enough to carry it to the station though, and no one is too badly injured. That's FFXV as a train analogy.

I feel that a few of the good ff games fell apart towards the end. In fact, I think the only bad final fantasy is 13, which was aggressively bad right from the off. I'm just shocked that what I've seen in the first 10 hours works and is ambitious. I was expecting the worst,

I feel that a few of the good ff games fell apart towards the end. In fact, I think the only bad final fantasy is 13, which was aggressively bad right from the off. I'm just shocked that what I've seen in the first 10 hours works and is ambitious. I was expecting the worst,

Honestly so was I. As a hard core ff fan growing up, I was right along with everyone making fun of it's long development cycle and preparing for the worst, especially after the platinum demo seemed to confirm everything I feared (crap performance, crap combat, nonsensical story).

Luckily I gave the Japanese Judgement demo a try... It's really a mistake they didn't bring that stateside, would likely have changed a lot of early opinions like it did mine.

I got this for Christmas and have been playing it for the last 6-7 hours straight. This game is fantastic thus far, definitely have to disagree with the folks on GAF hating on it.

Top Bottom