• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

It seems like 50% of the time I'm unable to use items. I'll heal Noctis up to about half health, and then after a few seconds try to use another potion to get him up to full and it wont let me select Noctis, but it will let me select other members. Even after minutes things stay this way. Why is that?

I think if characters are in the middle of certain actions they can't use an item. I feel like I've had what you've described happen, and a half second later if I open the menu again I can do what I want.

hampig

I think if characters are in the middle of certain actions they can't use an item. I feel like I've had what you've described happen, and a half second later if I open the menu again I can do what I want.

Gotcha, so I must just be opening the menu at the wrong, thank you!

Durden77

I'm adoring this game. I've always wanted a FF that I felt like I could really call my own, I've never finished one for 1 reason or the other, and so far this seems to be it.

I am very early game. I have a couple of questions...

1. What makes my crew use their second hand weapon like magic? It seems like they use it very rarely.

2. Why can't I manually drive the cae sometimes?

3. Where the feck do I find metal scrap for this spear for Cid?

I'm a little confused on the story, but I think I've got it so far. You're on your way to marry a princess of another land
but then your dad dies when his kingdom gets invaded and you're like fuck all that and now I'm looking for magic weapons.
Am I right so far?

I'm always so bad with places and names in these type of games. Is the city you're from called Lucius? And the big piece of land I'm on now what's it called? And the island I'm supposed to go to?

Oh and last thing....
am I supposed to know who attack your city and killed the king? Was there history there I missed by this point?

Thanks for anyone that can help me with all this shit!

sackninja

I'm adoring this game. I've always wanted a FF that I felt like I could really call my own, I've never finished one for 1 reason or the other, and so far this seems to be it.

1. What makes my crew use their second hand weapon like magic? It seems like they use it very rarely.

I'm a little confused on the story, but I think I've got it so far. You're on your way to marry a princess of another land
but then your dad dies when his kingdom gets invaded and you're like fuck all that and now I'm looking for magic weapons.
Am I right so far?

I'm always so bad with places and names in these type of games. Is the city you're from called Lucius? And the big piece of land I'm on now what's it called? And the island I'm supposed to go to?

Oh and last thing....
am I supposed to know who attack your city and killed the king? Was there history there I missed by this point?

The answer to most of these things relating to thelp so try, is watch kingsglaive, it will help you figure everything out. The city is Insomnia and the whole Kingdom is Lucius which encompasses Leide (the starting desert), Dustin aerial and the other areas. You were headed to Altissia, a city on an Island.

Don't know about the first three numbered questions though, sorry.

bumpkin

The game didn't give me the option to drive on my own until partway through chapter 3. It still feels like it's on a rail like a train though. You can literally hold the gas pedal, not steer, and you'll stay in your lane.

I couldn't tell you where (I don't recall), but I've found some while just out and about in towns or the world.

Metalscraps and everything else cid needs can be fpund in the open world. Walk around quest areas and towns and you will find all sorts of things.

Are Zwill Crossblades the most OP weapon in FFXV?

They are definitely one of the best!

How important is Limit Break on the bros' techniques or on Limit Chains?

I wouldn't put them as that important. Don't worry about them too much and even then, Gladios is the best.

I only just realised something to. Some enemies take battle damage. It's obvious with the magitek imperial forces/robot-thing/spoilers when parts of them break of. But some enemies do gain battle scars. I only just saw this now.
(Before and after shot)

ke0MzdE.png

Ty4PX5f.png
They actually build up over how much you fight AND this is relative to the body part you are attacking. So if you attack the arse, only the back end scars. It's a cool bit of detail.

Mentok

Banned
I finished Chapter 13 last night and... I liked it. It was way better than what they passed off as Chapters before it. It's just a shame they waited this long to start telling the story.

Twookie

Am I right so far?

Oh and last thing....

1. Your party members will use their secondhand weapons pretty often. Magic is kinda different, since everyone in the party shares cooldown on the spells. This means, if Noctis casts a spell, the party members cannot use magic until the cooldown is finished.

2. This can be for various storyreasons, I think you're gated on this in the earlier chapters.

3. You can find metal scrap all around the game, but I think there's one around Hammerhead? Not sure.

The city you're from is called Insomnia, the region/kingdom that's in is called Lucis and you're headed to Altissia.

Regarding the story question, you will know (sorta)
who attacked the city and killed king in chapter 3 ending cutscene
. You should watch Kingsglaive to get a better understanding of what happens
when the city gets invaded

Gbraga

Doing Pitioss right now. This is great, what the fuck?

I can even imagine like one guy doing this as his pet project.

Deku Tree

Yeah some of the jumps are ridiculous in Pitioss. All the indicators of when and where to jump are learnable but some are very subtle.

Are all of the red blocks in Pitioss destroyable? I think I missed two of them but the video I was watching didn't get them either.

komplanen

I haven't watched Kingsglaive yet and I'm really itching to start the game. Do you guys think the first few hours are okay to play now and watch the movie tomorrow? Or am I going to be like a fish outta water after the first opening cinematic?

I just want to find a place to grind and farm for a couple of hours :-3

I haven't watched Kingsglaive yet and I'm really itching to start the game. Do you guys think the first few hours are okay to play now and watch the movie tomorrow? Or am I going to be like a fish outta water after the first opening cinematic?

The lead up from kingsglave is great, you'll enjoy it more.

Kingsglaive doesn't become relevant until the end of Chapter 1/start of Chapter 2 (in fact it might even be better to play a bit of Ch. 1 first), so you can go ahead and start playing without missing anything.

Christhor

I'd say the narrative is stronger without Kingsglaive. They patched a couple of clips from the movie into the game and they basically make the narrative a lot worse.

I've never played a game as much as FFXV and wanted to keep coming back to it every single chance I'm able to. Without question my favorite game. Even after experiencing the Adamantoise glitch, my excitement can't be contained. The roadmap that has been laid out for this game is my personal dream scenario and I hope that Tabata and company are able to get it done. No matter how long the wait, it will be worth it. Just like this game was worth the wait and more.

JayEH

What's the point of the grind? Even lvl 99 enemies like adamantoise are pretty easy without the suits...

I just want the best available gear for the last couple of sealed dungeons. It also annoys me that there is better gear out there in general.

Josh5890

Ok Gaf, please tell me that there is something I am stupidly doing wrong. I am in the middle of Chapter 3 doing the
Sword in the Waterfall
mission. So far I keep running out HP as Noctis, and I need to wait for friends to come close or waste countless potions. Gil is almost non-existant for me. I've had to sell my crap just to gain a few gil to put support items like elixers. I've done a few side quests like
Dino's
missions, but none of those have given me gil.

For the record this isn't my first Final Fantasy but I feel like I'm doing something to handicap myself so early in the game.

Arrrammis

Ok Gaf, please tell me that there is something I am stupidly doing wrong. I am in the middle of Chapter 3 doing the
Sword in the Waterfall
mission. So far I keep running out HP as Noctis, and I need to wait for friends to come close or waste countless potions. Gil is almost non-existant for me. I've had to sell my crap just to gain a few gil to put support items like elixers. I've done a few side quests like
Dino's

For the record this isn't my first Final Fantasy but I feel like I'm doing something to handicap myself so early in the game.

Do some hunts, which the cafe owners give you. The earliest ones give you roughly 900 gil per and it goes up quickly. Also, there is a sidequest from a guy standing by the cliff in Lestallum where all you need to do is visit a few locations and have Prompto snap a picture, and he gives you 5,000 gil (more quests follow from the same guy which give you even larger sums for completion).

Be sure to dodge as much as you can, against enemies of your own levels it's really ineffective to trade hit for hit. Also, Ignis has a tech ability which brings everyone together and fully restores their health like taking a high level potion, and even brings back downed allies (not dead, but downed), so having that ready to use is extremely useful.

Sword in the Waterfall
Dino's

Current level? Gil you get from hunts and side quests.

Josh5890

Do some hunts, which the cafe owners give you. The earliest ones give you roughly 900 gil per and it goes up quickly. Also, there is a sidequest from a guy standing by the cliff in Lestallum where all you need to do is visit a few locations and have Prompto snap a picture, and he gives you 5,000 gil (more quests follow from the same guy which give you even larger sums for completion).

Be sure to dodge as much as you can, against enemies of your own levels it's really ineffective to trade hit for hit. Also, Ignis has a tech ability which brings everyone together and fully restores their health like taking a high level potion, and even brings back downed allies (not dead, but downed), so having that ready to use is extremely useful.

Ok. I didn't do any hunts but I'll start there. Same thing with the picture mission. Thanks. I've always been a "mash x button to beat the crap out of the opponent first" guy. I guys it isn't as easy as hack and slash here. I've used the warp strike but that only goes so far.

Current level? Gil you get from hunts and side quests.

Noctis is 15. Rest are 14

Ok. I didn't do any hunts but I'll start there. Same thing with the picture mission. Thanks. I've always been a "mash x button to beat the crap out of the opponent first" guy. I guys it isn't as easy as hack and slash here. I've used the warp strike but that only goes so far.

Noctis is 15. Rest are 14
Level up. First rule of RPGs

Ultimadrago

Yes. Maaaaaaybe depending on what your Ascension choices are, I guess, but generally yes.

badcrumble, as someone recently grinding for AP, I just want to say you were completely right about the game's lacking dispersion. Like, this is shaved points off game bad. Gaining AP from leveling up and natural progression through the world (with AP up nodes) doesn't give nearly enough to explore the Ascension Grid in a meaningful manner by game's end. Booo!

Kazzy

badcrumble, as someone recently grinding for AP, I just want to say you were completely right about the game's lacking dispersion. Like, this is shaved points off game bad. Gaining AP from leveling up and natural progression through the world (with AP up nodes) doesn't give nearly enough to explore the Ascension Grid in a meaningful manner by game's end. Booo!

No, it really doesn't. Honestly, I did a healthy amount of sidequests throughout the game, finished the game at around level 50, and still had only really gained a smattering of various abilities through the Ascension Grid.

Unless you really know what you're going to focus on beforehand (and who does?), then a lot of the depth of the gameplay, particularly in regards to the combat system, will be completely lost to most people. In my case, I only unlocked all the air-step tree post-game, and that actually has a genuine impact on how the flow of combat goes. The fact that I could have easily skipped over it, and were it not for people here continually mentioning it, I probably would have.

Yeah, the three Fanfare accessories really should've just been early/cheap Ascension nodes from day 1 (unlocking those early would've given me *thousands* more AP just through natural gameplay).

It's weird to play an FF game that is bad at doling out ability points at a proper pace like this. I suppose FFXII gave out too many, since everyone completes the License Grid really early in that game? But FF5, 6, 7, 9, and X-2 did a great job with it (i'll leave X and XIII out of this because the ability points double as experience, but they both did it well).

for the record: it's cool that they're trying to fix and improve some of this stuff, like most of us I miss when FF games came out more or less correct the first time, yes I remember that international editions exist, etc.

I'd love to see them fix AP growth *and* add more Ascension nodes with shit like break HP limit or innate break damage limit for magic spells because why the heck not.

Exentryk

The game is really stingy with AP, and the cost of some abilities is ridiculous. The 333 abilities should have been like 111, and 999 should have been like 222. And even then, they should add accessories like EXP -> AP, get 2x AP, etc.

sackninja

I have no real problem with ap, I always seem to accumulate plenty (on chapter 9). What do you guys mean when you say it doesn't give enough. Do you mean you can't get literally everything or do you mean you can't get the minimum amount required? I have all the status ones beside the 333 health one, and a few from every other section of the grid.

Ferr986

I have no real problem with ap, I always seem to accumulate plenty (on chapter 9). What do you guys mean when you say it doesn't give enough. Do you mean you can't get literally everything or do you mean you can't get the minimum amount required? I have all the status ones beside the 333 health one, and a few from every other section of the grid.

You can get a bunch of low AP skills but getting 333 and 999 skills is almost imposible without grinding. I have almost 120 hours and have yet to unlock a 999 skill because I refuse to grind.

It's not about clearing all the grid, but I expect to atleast be able to get some of the big ones just before finishing the game. But stuff cost too much that even some people are missing big gamechanger skills like infinite airstep before finishing the game because it's a 333 AP (+ the skills that comes before it).

Top Bottom