• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

LotusHD

Banned
Y'all should've wanted to grind for that Airdance skill at least lol

I wanted it ASAP. But yea, everything else is pretty much a pain to get.

Robiin

I'm trying to upgrade the Blade Sword or whatever it's called, and when I try to speak to Cid he just complains about his back. Why?

I have the weapon unequipped. I have tried resting at hotels, camping, doing other quests etc. He just does his random one-liners when I try talking to him. Anyone know what's up with that?

EDIT: Another question, how do I learn more techniques? Are they somewhere in the Ascension tree, or do they come from level ups or items?
EDIT2: Oh, they are in the Ascension tree, nvm.

Kazzy

I'm trying to upgrade the Blade Sword or whatever it's called, and when I try to speak to Cid he just complains about his back. Why?

I have the weapon unequipped. I have tried resting at hotels, camping, doing other quests etc. He just does his random one-liners when I try talking to him. Anyone know what's up with that?

The upgrade stuff, still doesn't make sense to me. It's so obtuse, conveyed so poorly, and takes so long, that I honestly didn't get most of my gear back in time to make use of it.

bumpkin

WTF at the
fight against Titan under the Disc of Caucus! I was hoping they'd clean it up some since the E3 demo, but it's still a fucking mess. I had no idea what was going on most of the time, the warp points felt like they set me up to get hit more than protect me, and it was never clear when to stand my ground (and wait for a block/parry moment) or run like hell. And don't get me started on when it told me my crew had Blizzara to cast to beat him and the sudden "inflict this much damage in this amount of time" prompt. It's like XIII all over again.

Also, sticking me with a destination over a mile away when I have no Regalia or Chocobo to drive/ride to shorten the trek? This game, sometimes...

But I'm still in that "just one more quest" mode on it when I'm fucking around, and spend two hours longer playing than I intend to.

Exentryk

All menace dungeons complete. Steyliff took around 2 hours and Costlemark around 1.5 hours.
Crit food and Zwill Crossblades are all you need. Take some limitbreak and healcast spells in Costlemark to make it easier.

h3ro

Which Royal Arms are best to equip for their stat bonuses?
Is there a consensus on best load out in terms of Weapons/Accessories/Clothing for the team?

(outside of farming 12 Magitek V2s :lol)

Exentryk

Which Royal Arms are best to equip for their stat bonuses?
Is there a consensus on best load out in terms of Weapons/Accessories/Clothing for the team?

(outside of farming 12 Magitek V2s :lol)

Sword of the Father and Axe of the Conquerer, both for more STR.

Noctis: (STR+ clothes)
Magitek Suit V2 / Dark Matter Bracelet
Ribbon

Gladio: (VIT+ and SPR+ clothes)
Ribbon
Megaphone
Magitek Suit V1 or V2 / Black Belt

Ignis: (VIT+ and SPR+ clothes)
Ribbon
Magitek Suit V1 or V2
Magitek Suit V1 or V2 / Grand Chamberlain

Prompto: (VIT+ and SPR+ clothes)
Ribbon
Magitek Suit V1 or V2
Magitek Suit V1 or V2 / Target Scope

Ravage

I have one treasure in Crestholm Channels I can't seem to find out how to get. It's at the area where there is two ladders you can't put down and it is on the right side ladder. Apparently whereever leads there I haven't done.

Finally got the item. Got to the ledge by jumping and pressing attack right near the ledge. Took a lot of tries. Finally found the place where I was supposed to go to get there.

Just in case anyone was wondering how to get that treasure, you can reach it from the area with Wyvern Lance and Hero Shield (take care not to drop down the narrow ledge).

I've no idea how Trojita managed to jump onto the ledge though. Sounds like a glitch lol ;p

h3ro

Sword of the Father and Axe of the Conquerer, both for more STR.

Noctis: (STR+ clothes)
Ribbon

Gladio: (VIT+ and SPR+ clothes)
Ribbon
Megaphone
Magitek Suit V1 or V2 / Black Belt

Ignis: (VIT+ and SPR+ clothes)
Ribbon
Magitek Suit V1 or V2
Magitek Suit V1 or V2 / Grand Chamberlain

Prompto: (VIT+ and SPR+ clothes)
Ribbon
Magitek Suit V1 or V2
Magitek Suit V1 or V2 / Target Scope

Thank you so much! Really appreciate this info.

Riposte

Nixexperience Band ("level stopper"), despite how clunky it is mechanically, actually served me okay and I've reached the game finale at level 20 for all characters while still doing quite a lot of side-quests and hunts. Level 30~ hunts were challenging enough, although the main quest itself not so much (the bosses of chapter 13 aside). Magic was pretty necessary for higher level stuff, although it seems really problematic to use if you don't also have the DLC ring Ring of Resistance (these two rings I had on Noctis pretty much 85% of my playthrough, even though it was completely unnecessary lol); I wish they would add a "retreat" command that isn't tied to spending two tech bars on Ignis. I found the ronin at the bottom of the mines a bit too difficult, even with item abuse (I'm sure summon abuse is another story). If I rest at the final outpost with 1.2x exp bonus, I jump to level 46, which isn't too bad.

Maybe late to this, but does anyone think the name "MTs" suppose to invoke the word "empty"? As in, they are "empty" of life. Sounds like a Normura thing to do.

Robiin

This Ascension tree goes so deep. Anyone have a rundown of the essentials? I want to get all the Air dance skills for sure, but other than that I don't know.

For people that have played through, what are the must-have skills?

This Ascension tree goes so deep. Anyone have a rundown of the essentials? I want to get all the Air dance skills for sure, but other than that I don't know.

Exploration section AP gain stuff first (not Snapshot or the Chocobo race one though), then Noct's combat skills, then Teamwork, then accessory slots. Adjust as needed for AP cost, of course, and you'll also want some techniques and some recovery stuff. You won't have enough AP, so equip the Fanfare accessories right from the start and they'll help.

I was just doing the Pitioss dungeon for the first time too, blind. Was really fun, until I accidentally managed to break it and now I have to redo everything. Can anyone tell me how far from the end I was?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kRducnVe-M
Oh damn. Close

Thanks! Speaking of which, what Techniques would you recommend focusing on utilizing for each brother?
Gladio: Dawnhammer - Sheer damage
Royal Guard - Good defense when needed

Ignis:
Regroup - Bring your team together and heal
Enchanement - Now have an elemental sword to use on an enemies weakness (due to the animation, this also pulls you towards Ignis which you can "exploit" to move out of a crowd of enemies"

Prompto:
Piercer - Can hit multiple enemies (like that'll ever happen) but lowers enemies defense
Starshell - Reduces enemy attributes and leaves them near stunned for 20 seconds

The game is really stingy with AP, and the cost of some abilities is ridiculous. The 333 abilities should have been like 111, and 999 should have been like 222. And even then, they should add accessories like EXP -> AP, get 2x AP, etc.
Yes the Holiday Pack+ fanfare items if you have it.

For combos, styling and combat tech.

Combat (Equipping the air step sword is also handy):
Blink (A must)
Blink Boost (A Must)
Impervious (A Must)
Warp decoy
Airstep (A must)
Airslip (A must)
Air Stride (A must)
Airdance
Light Phase
Magic Expert
Ultralight Phase
Chained Fury
Warp Factor

Technique:
Tech Strike
Tech Damage
Quick Tech

Stats:
Accessory slot 1
Accessory slot 2
Accessory slot 3

Riposte

Does anyone have a picture of a world map with all the game's locations highlighted? Google isn't quite giving me what I want. (Put it within a spoiler for the sake of others.)

depward

Anyone else have their TV display ruined because of FFXV?

Fteothh.jpg

Playing and enjoying FFXV. Have 68 hours and have gotten the platinum trophy.

Noticed recently I have this discolored line on the top of the screen. Thinking about how, since purchasing my TV, I've really only played FFXV on it, along with a small smattering of other PS4 games.

See how the top line matches up directly with the top of the loading screen window:

And how it looks on a black screen:

h3ro

Anyone else have their TV display ruined because of FFXV?

Playing and enjoying FFXV. Have 68 hours and have gotten the platinum trophy.

Noticed recently I have this discolored line on the top of the screen. Thinking about how, since purchasing my TV, I've really only played FFXV on it, along with a small smattering of other PS4 games.

See how the top line matches up directly with the top of the loading screen window:

And how it looks on a black screen:
What kind of television is it? It just may be some temporary image retention. Watching some television or playing another game for a bit should get rid of that.

How can I tell which food recipes Ignis has cooked for me?
(I'm trying to level up his cooking skills,but I don't want to waste ingredients on meals I've cooked before)

Is there an item or car enhancement that will make the car engine quieter/disable the sound? (I'm trying to enjoy the radio Music)

Can't the MP3 player be used when ridding a chocobo?

Sometimes I press L1 and R1 to trigger the arminger chain technique but it wont respond,
I usually try to use right before the arminger circular bar depletes.

Thanks .

EDIT: Oh yeah by being Lv1 thought the whole game will I miss any special skills or not have access to certain places
( no spoilers please)

I currently have 4 royal tomb weapons
chapter 3 or 4 LV 1 60hrs+ playtime.

Kerrinck

Started playing the game for a while but I feel kinda lost story wise. I know there's a crapload of related media like kingslaive. Is there anywhere I can watch a shorter version of everything to get me up to date?

Robiin

Exploration section AP gain stuff first (not Snapshot or the Chocobo race one though), then Noct's combat skills, then Teamwork, then accessory slots. Adjust as needed for AP cost, of course, and you'll also want some techniques and some recovery stuff. You won't have enough AP, so equip the Fanfare accessories right from the start and they'll help.

For combos, styling and combat tech.

Combat (Equipping the air step sword is also handy):
Blink (A must)
Blink Boost (A Must)
Impervious (A Must)
Warp decoy
Airstep (A must)
Airslip (A must)
Air Stride (A must)
Airdance
Light Phase
Magic Expert
Ultralight Phase
Chained Fury
Warp Factor

Technique:
Tech Strike
Tech Damage
Quick Tech

Stats:
Accessory slot 1
Accessory slot 2
Accessory slot 3
Much appreciated dudes. How do you guys deal with groups? It's hard for me to keep track of when attacks are coming to dodge at the right time because attacks are coming from every direction lol. Maybe I'm underestimating the combat system and positioning actually matters.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Just in case anyone was wondering how to get that treasure, you can reach it from the area with Wyvern Lance and Hero Shield (take care not to drop down the narrow ledge).

I've no idea how Trojita managed to jump onto the ledge though. Sounds like a glitch lol ;p

If you time it exactly right when you almost get to the ledge you can press the attack button which will cause Noctis to momentarily strike in air, extending your jump's range enough to get on the platform.

Ultimadrago

Gladio: Dawnhammer - Sheer damage
Royal Guard - Good defense when needed

Ignis:
Regroup - Bring your team together and heal
Enchanement - Now have an elemental sword to use on an enemies weakness (due to the animation, this also pulls you towards Ignis which you can "exploit" to move out of a crowd of enemies"

Prompto:
Piercer - Can hit multiple enemies (like that'll ever happen) but lowers enemies defense
Starshell - Reduces enemy attributes and leaves them near stunned for 20 seconds

Thanks! I'll keep my eye on these going forward.

Much appreciated dudes. How do you guys deal with groups? It's hard for me to keep track of when attacks are coming to dodge at the right time because attacks are coming from every direction lol. Maybe I'm underestimating the combat system and positioning actually matters.

I use a few different approaches for this. Due to the enemy placement in the game, I had to fight the urge to constantly lock-on to an enemy. I lock to engage a specific target and then release into soft-lock and use the increased screen estate to survey my surroundings.

I also do multiple aerial attacks, which warp to the nearest hostile target. This gets me out of some dogpiles while getting out of reach of everyone.

Finally, if those don't work or come to mind, I've used a partner technique just for a change of perspective which also keeps Noctis invincible during the animation. I don't find the combat fantastic, but I will have to say I'm inadvertently impressed by not getting away with just hard-locking on every enemy in the room as usual. It certainly is one of the elements I'm liking in the game.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Air Stepping should have been available at the beginning with subsequent Ascension grids to extend the amount of times you can do it and eventually getting to the unlimited.

The game's combat doesn't come into it's own until you unlock air step and blink. The combat fully opens up when you unlock unlimited airstepping.

I did this when I unlocked unlimited airstepping.

Robiin

Hey should I sell old weapons for gil? Also how about those treasure items? Just sell 'em?
For weapons I don't know yet. For general stuff and treasures, my rule for every RPG hasn't failed me yet: always keep 10 of everything, sell anything above.

Bladelaw

Hey should I sell old weapons for gil? Also how about those treasure items? Just sell 'em?

Don't sell rare coins, or oracle ascension coins, or debased currency, or anything. Hoard all the things.

Here's why:
When you create spells you can use any combination of the three elements, and an item, like a potion, or a treasure, ingredient, or whatever. The more of this catalyst you use the more potent the side effect.

For example rare coins and debased currency turn a spell into an "expericast" which is a nice way to boost XP you get from an enemy.

komplanen

Chapter 2/3 starting to piss me off with these soldiers dropping from the sky literally every 2-3 minutes. Will it ever stop? Who thought this would be cool -_-

Ricker

Chapter 2/3 starting to piss me off with these soldiers dropping from the sky literally every 2-3 minutes. Will it ever stop? Who thought this would be cool -_-

It gets worst in the sense that you will get some higher level then you at some point...It sucks when they appear during another fight but in general I just run away from them or if I am near a camp with spell refills,I just nuke them lol ;)

How can I tell which food recipes Ignis has cooked for me?
(I'm trying to level up his cooking skills,but I don't want to waste ingredients on meals I've cooked before)

Is there an item or car enhancement that will make the car engine quieter/disable the sound? (I'm trying to enjoy the radio Music)

Can't the MP3 player be used when ridding a chocobo?

Sometimes I press L1 and R1 to trigger the arminger chain technique but it wont respond,
I usually try to use right before the arminger circular bar depletes.

Thanks .

EDIT: Oh yeah by being Lv1 thought the whole game will I miss any special skills or not have access to certain places
( no spoilers please)

I currently have 4 royal tomb weapons
chapter 3 or 4 LV 1 60hrs+ playtime.
There isn't any way of knowing. You would just need to cycle through each item and it'll eventually build up.

When locking on to an enemy, press the Right Stick in, you can then stay locked onto the enemy without having to hold down RB/R1. You can also use the right stick to cycle between locked on enemies. Activating wait mode might also help if you feel a bit overwhelmed.

With groups you can utilise the invincibility frames of different attacks and stuff.
-Moving the camera to find a warp point
-Holding Block so you auto dodge out the way
-Dodging also provides plenty of frames of invincibility
-If you hold back, Noctis will backflip away from a magic spell which is a longer animation that standing there and throwing it out. You are also completely invincible from the first available frames of Noctis using a magic spell to when he lands so use this.
-You are also invincible during warp strike/throw just just spam that to get out mob fights
-Noctis is also completely invincible when using an item so just open up the menu and consume a random potion, elixir etc.
-Using your tech bar to call team assist changes Noctis's location allowing you to teleport out of mobs (which is why I suggest to take on the tech bar Ascension point so it builds quicker)

Also, the camera is pure arse. I've put many many hours into just practicing the combat but it really is just a terrible camera so you have to face the fact you're going to lose track of enemies.

I did this when I unlocked unlimited airstepping.
Nice!

Since the December update (and completing the main story) I've put in some time on the combat system again.
Arba Combos
MA-DUX Combos

I have some more tech coming soon. I think I've found a good one with the summon.

shenhaZ

Neo Member
Reached chapter 8, and I probably will drop a game here. I do not understand why the game has such a lack of cut-scenes between chapter 7 and 8. It just feels clumsy and unfinished. Probably understand now why it need to be patched.

LiK

FFXV Special Music Collection Blu-ray won't load at all with any of my Blu-ray player softwares on PC. Bummer. If anyone here who got the LE OST has a solution, lemme know.

coopolon

This game is just not for me, I don't think it's very good. Story telling is just godawful although all the characters I met through chapter 3 I liked other than Noctis...the main character. Edit: Except Cidney. Oh god, so bad. So very very bad. WTF?

I also don't think the combat is very good. It's passable when everything is going perfectly, but it often doesn't. Last battle I fought was the mech at the comet/disc thing. Strange having a level 23 boss for a level 16 quest, but never the less, I was able to figure out how to dodge the attacks as noctis, but the party members just sat there waiting to get a rocket to the face or a lightning bolt.

Traded it into gamestop for $40, $2 less than I paid. No idea why they gave me so much but pretty pleased at that ending!

CLBridges

Finished platinum trophy today. First game I've ever platinumed or wanted to for that matter. Still have some post game stuff to wrap up, this weekend maybe.

As I stated before, very solid entry into the franchise. Had the story and background tidbits been expanded on properly I would've had no problem putting this as my fave FF in the series. But, it does fall short in that regard.

Mentok

Banned
That naglfar fight was no joke! Toughest fight so far for me. Once I kill the adamantoise, I'm done with this game. I really enjoyed my time with it (my close to 100 hour playtime suggests so too), but I don't have the chops to finish every hunt nor do the locked dungeons. The game's warts have really started to stand out on me.

Since the December update (and completing the main story) I've put in some time on the combat system again.
Arba Combos
MA-DUX Combos

I have some more tech coming soon. I think I've found a good one with the summon.
These are awesome, thanks for sharing. It makes the combat seem really cool. I like it for what it is even though I haven't used it to its full potential.

Literally cannot stop listening to Somnus Ultima. So amazing!
This was honestly my favorite part of getting each Royal Arm. Just the music and the sequence was really cool. And I can picture a certain scene in my head every time I hear it too. :]

How many chapters is there in the game? I'm currently at chapter 8 (and I've been doing too many hunts and side quests)

That's the last open world chapter, its all plot after that... and man its guuuuuuddddd.

Just beat this this afternoon. Man, I hate open world games for the most part and I'm super conflicted on this game. It did so many horrible things gameplay wise, stamina bar in open world, big open areas with not that many different things to do, many side quests opening early leading to a a potential to lopside the pace of the story, terrible camera and other missteps in the combat.

But damn I can't lie that I enjoyed so much of this world. The story moments are epic, the optional dungeons were creative and different from each other, the pace at the last chapters had me on edge wondering what was next (I even liked Chapter 13 but I agree it was like longer than it needed to be) Blasted through basically chapter 5-15 the past 4 days alone and loved it. Can't feel compelled to do the side quests though. Maybe when the PC version drops with all the extra stuff added... and a trainer to cheat, I would be down to drop money and go through this story again.

I did the side quests, but completion came with exploring the world map for the sake of exploring the world map (which led to finding dungeons as well) and sometimes going to them as detours toward going somewhere else. I eventually dedicated myself to completing my last few quests just to remove them from my list, but before that it was mostly routing on the fly to decide when best to complete them, and ignoring them if they're too out of the way.

I have also ignored hunts entirely unless it was an enemy I hadn't fought yet or I was needing to trigger a hunt to advance a quest cycle or make it nighttime.

Wurst

I can't put the controller down. Second night playing till 2 am. It's really addicting and lots of fun... and it's frustrating and boring at the same time.

I did all sidequests up to Chapter 3, which were a chore most of the time. Then I hit
Lestallum
and they throw another 37 boring sidequests at me. No thanks.
Is there a guide with all the sidequests worth playing (if there are any?). I really liked the
Behemoth hunt

Also, is there a spoiler-free guide for the optional dungeons with their recommended levels and location? I stumbled upon a
hidden mine, but the boss was level 54
. I'd really like to stop with the sidequests and do some worthwhile sidetracking between story missions.

Ok, so yesterday I reached chapter 12. I had saved in chapter 9 and...

SPOILERS
What the fuck was that? The chancellor dude does his usual appearing act and stabs Luna. And then there's a ridiculously O spamming fight with Leviathan. And then she dies. And then there there are like mini chapters that take 10-15 mins each. Wtf is happening?

So yeah, chapter 9 to chapter 12 took me around 2 hours I guess? Are all chapters going to be this small now? Is the story going to start making sense soon? I'm VERY underwhelmed and disappointed right now. Ugh...

Kazzy

Ok, so yesterday I reached chapter 12. I had saved in chapter 9 and...

SPOILERS
What the fuck was that? The chancellor dude does his usual appearing act and stabs Luna. And then there's a ridiculously O spamming fight with Leviathan. And then she dies. And then there there are like mini chapters that take 10-15 mins each. Wtf is happening?

So yeah, chapter 9 to chapter 12 took me around 2 hours I guess? Are all chapters going to be this small now? Is the story going to start making sense soon? I'm VERY underwhelmed and disappointed right now. Ugh...

Chapter 13 will change your feelings about their length, for better or worse.

Worse.

Audioboxer

Up to chapter 10, game is exceeding my expectations. Waiting on the patch for chapter 13.

So far though the combat isn't good enough to be in the realms of Dragons Dogma, and the open world side missions are like rejected garbage compared to TW3. Like so so bad, collecting frogs and dog tags? Seriously Square? This is like beginning of an era Ubisoft open world generator shite. Of all the stuff you could draw on from the FF Universe we have "lacking in charisma" Dave and his shitty dog tag sidequest?

Still having fun though, and it's a decent first attempt at Square doing this kind of "open world". Shame about how bad some of the content is for a game this long in development. The story is "okay" so far, and I actually like the guys and a lot of the banter on the road.

Light years ahead of FF13 for me though, and unless the game really shits the bed at the end I'm certain I'll fall on an "8 out of 10". Worried about the chapter 13 hate though, hence cautiously waiting on a patch, but knowing Square it'll be November 2017 for the patch.

GeeTeeCee

What is the deal with these military bases? I'm currently on Chapter 6 and
two of the bases I cleared out as part of the story now have a little icon at their entrances, but so does a random base in Leide. When I go to this base there's no real sign that you can actually do anything.

Top Bottom