• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Is there a guide with all the sidequests worth playing (if there are any?)
IMO: None of them. Most of them suck. Just do whatever sidequests happen to be convenient enough to get out of the way or have rewards that you want and focus more on completing dungeons or the main story.

Also, is there a spoiler-free guide for the optional dungeons with their recommended levels and location?
Hang on, I'll boot up the game and list them off:

Minor spoilers for names of dungeons, and where they are located
Daurell Caverns: Level 28, where the map is marked "Schier Heights" west of Galdin Quay and south of Cauthess Disc
The Rock of Ravatogh: Level 30, at the westmost part of the world map, up the climb going west from where the road loops onto itself
Malmalam Thicket: Level 35, marked "Malmalam Thicket" on the southwestern part of the map, where a dirt path loops on itself near Maidenwater
Myrlwood: Level 36, on the southwestern side of the Vesperpool; this area is blocked off during Ch. 3 but can be accessed as soon as it is available
Crestholm Channels: Level 45, in a sewer at the blockade on the road going southeast from Hammerhead where Chapter 1 ended
Balouve Mines: Level 50, in the cliffside next to a dirt road following the Callaegh Steps just southwest of Hammerhead
Costlemark Tower: Level 55, at the Fallgrove where a gray circle is very visible on the map, just outside of the tunnel leaving Galdin Quay; can only enter at night

I completed these being level 42 at most (using the Nyxperience Band to stay at that level).

Also, these might not be all of the dungeons, since I'm still on Ch. 8.

Wurst

IMO: None of them. Most of them suck. Just do whatever sidequests happen to be convenient enough to get out of the way or have rewards that you want and focus more on completing dungeons or the main story.

Hang on, I'll boot up the game and list them off:

Minor spoilers for names of dungeons, and where they are located
Daurell Caverns: Level 28, where the map is marked "Schier Heights" west of Galdin Quay and south of Cauthess Disc
The Rock of Ravatogh: Level 30, at the westmost part of the world map, up the climb going west from where the road loops onto itself
Malmalam Thicket: Level 35, marked "Malmalam Thicket" on the southwestern part of the map, where a dirt path loops on itself near Maidenwater
Myrlwood: Level 36, on the southwestern side of the Vesperpool; this area is blocked off during Ch. 3 but can be accessed as soon as it is available
Crestholm Channels: Level 45, in a sewer at the blockade on the road going southeast from Hammerhead where Chapter 1 ended
Balouve Mines: Level 50, in the cliffside next to a dirt road following the Callaegh Steps just southwest of Hammerhead
Costlemark Tower: Level 55, at the Fallgrove where a gray circle is very visible on the map, just outside of the tunnel leaving Galdin Quay; can only enter at night

I completed these being level 42 at most (using the Nyxperience Band to stay at that level).

Also, these might not be all of the dungeons, since I'm still on Ch. 8.

You are a hero! Thank you very much! :)

I enjoyed the game. Finished a second time quickly yesterday since I forgot to offload my screencaps from the first finish to USB before deleting.

Will continue building on the post-finish content, eventually starting a new game.

Overall placement among Final Fantasy titles is probably somewhere in the middle, although I skew towards battle system over all-else so games like FFV and even Lightning Returns rate higher with me than with others perhaps. Battle system is fun but a little loose here.

I REALLY liked the roadtrip/travel with friends through magical quasi-America and quasi-Europe more than I expected to though.

So, do we have an idea when the Chapter 13 patch is coming? I'm in Chapter 8 right now, doing sidequests before I head to the next Chapter. I'm dragging my feet a little, because I want to play Chapter 13 post-patch, but if that's not going to be for another month or two then I'll get on with it.

JoeNut

Up to chapter 10, game is exceeding my expectations. Waiting on the patch for chapter 13.

So far though the combat isn't good enough to be in the realms of Dragons Dogma, and the open world side missions are like rejected garbage compared to TW3. Like so so bad, collecting frogs and dog tags? Seriously Square? This is like beginning of an era Ubisoft open world generator shite. Of all the stuff you could draw on from the FF Universe we have "lacking in charisma" Dave and his shitty dog tag sidequest?
i kind of find these comments frustrating because i don't understand why people don't just..not do those quests.

i stopped doing Dino's missions very quickly and i never bothered going for frogs, because it's not fun as you rightly point out.

but it's not required to do it either, so why bother?

N0VAM0D

I finished Chapter 13 last night and... I liked it. It was way better than what they passed off as Chapters before it. It's just a shame they waited this long to start telling the story.

Mm, I totally agree with that. Enjoyed it a bit more than the
whole train part
overall. Especially when
everyone reunited
, it just got better from there! Sure, the first part was kinda tedious, but it's nowhere near as bad as I've been hearing.

I'm up to Chapter 14 now and
WOW IGNIS LOOKS SO COOL WITH A POMPADOUR, and I love his whole attitude. And the fact he still cooks and hunts. Put a huuuge smile on my face. It was just so nice to hear that everyone is doin their own thing and getting by despite everything.
I'm having so much fun. I don't want this game to end. Even more keen now to see what they do for the DLC.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Up to chapter 10, game is exceeding my expectations. Waiting on the patch for chapter 13.

So far though the combat isn't good enough to be in the realms of Dragons Dogma, and the open world side missions are like rejected garbage compared to TW3. Like so so bad, collecting frogs and dog tags? Seriously Square? This is like beginning of an era Ubisoft open world generator shite. Of all the stuff you could draw on from the FF Universe we have "lacking in charisma" Dave and his shitty dog tag sidequest?

Still having fun though, and it's a decent first attempt at Square doing this kind of "open world". Shame about how bad some of the content is for a game this long in development. The story is "okay" so far, and I actually like the guys and a lot of the banter on the road.

Light years ahead of FF13 for me though, and unless the game really shits the bed at the end I'm certain I'll fall on an "8 out of 10". Worried about the chapter 13 hate though, hence cautiously waiting on a patch, but knowing Square it'll be November 2017 for the patch.

Chapter 13 isn't that bad. Even if you don't like it you can clear it in about 2 hours. It's probably a bit too long by about 30 minutes, but other then that I did not mind it. The patch will probably just make some minor tweaks and could be a few months away.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Finished the game yesterday.
I absolutely loved it and im probably gonna keep playin' the end game.

While there's a bunch of issues (Storytelling, pacing, etc) the thing they absolutely nailed were the characters.
By the end of the game i had an emotional bond with the boys... the ending was ... dang.

So yeah, mad props to the FFXV team!
I liked it so much that it made me want to go back to game dev!

hemo memo

Gold Member

While there's a bunch of issues (Storytelling, pacing, etc) the thing they absolutely nailed were the characters.
By the end of the game i had an emotional bond with the boys... the ending was ... dang.

I kid you not I'm at chaoter 9 and I seriously have zero idea what's the story is about. But the gameplay and completing side quests, leveling up, fishing, tombs/dungeons and the great battle system. the game is just fun.

What's goin on?

I'm trying to interact/pick up objects and I can't nothing happens or crouch (x button) image shows up.

Please don't tell me this has broken my game, just reloaded my save.

Ed - seems ok now

Ambitious

Not sure I understand how learning new recipes works. In restaurants, do I have to pick dishes I haven't had before in order to get Ignis to learn something new? Or can I pick any one of them and there's a chance that he might learn a new one (not necessarily the one I bought)?

Anarion07

So, do we have an idea when the Chapter 13 patch is coming? I'm in Chapter 8 right now, doing sidequests before I head to the next Chapter. I'm dragging my feet a little, because I want to play Chapter 13 post-patch, but if that's not going to be for another month or two then I'll get on with it.

I was in the same boat. Played it. Don't know what all the fuzz was about.

Zoe

No. Someones being playing star ocean too much.

Nah, just flashbacks of FFXIII-2 and having to backtrack to an obscure corner of the future city in order to get that trophy.

I thought I saw someone mention it to be able to get access to the locked dungeons.

Ferr986

Still having fun though, and it's a decent first attempt at Square doing this kind of "open world". Shame about how bad some of the content is for a game this long in development. The story is "okay" so far, and I actually like the guys and a lot of the banter on the road.

Light years ahead of FF13 for me though, and unless the game really shits the bed at the end I'm certain I'll fall on an "8 out of 10". Worried about the chapter 13 hate though, hence cautiously waiting on a patch, but knowing Square it'll be November 2017 for the patch.

Just play ch.13 man. Its not that bad, you are gonna wait half a year for a patch that will make the chapter the very same, just 30 mins shorter.

Gui_PT

I've been trying to farm that Magitek Armor V2 for about 4 in-game days now but I haven't seen that level 99 robot that's supposed to drop it. The highest I've gotten is a level 46 robot.

Doing this in Alstor Slough.

Am I doing something wrong?

Mcdohl

I just killed the
Adamantoise
(took me 1 hour 15mins approx) and capped cooking when I camped after the fight.

I'm just missing 2 trophies now...

Gladio's level 8 survival and...

Noctis' fishing is at level 6 u.u

Mm, I totally agree with that. Enjoyed it a bit more than the
whole train part
overall. Especially when
everyone reunited
, it just got better from there! Sure, the first part was kinda tedious, but it's nowhere near as bad as I've been hearing.

I'm up to Chapter 14 now and
WOW IGNIS LOOKS SO COOL WITH A POMPADOUR, and I love his whole attitude. And the fact he still cooks and hunts. Put a huuuge smile on my face. It was just so nice to hear that everyone is doin their own thing and getting by despite everything.
I'm having so much fun. I don't want this game to end. Even more keen now to see what they do for the DLC.

That is awesome to hear guys!

You are a hero! Thank you very much! :)
You should probably note that the level recommendations on those (which are taken straight from the game) are wrong. For example, in the level 50 one,
all the enemies are level 7, except for the boss, who's level 52,
and in the level 28 one
two level 41 Necromancers will greet you at the entrance, and they will handily fuck up a level 28 party.

sackninja

I don't get what people find so confusing about the story. I'm on chapter 13 and the only thing that is still not explained is
ardyns motivations, if I was to guess I would say ardyns is one of the six in human form like gentiana was the glaceans human form. But he's like the God of daemons (Ifrit?) He is using the empire to kill the other gods plunge the world into darkness and increase the power of the demons.
I feel like I could fairly well explain everything that's happened so far and why besides that.

Popsickles

Don't know if intentional but the characters act like they are talking whilst driving but there is no voices. Is this a bug and how do you fix it

Audioboxer

i kind of find these comments frustrating because i don't understand why people don't just..not do those quests.

i stopped doing Dino's missions very quickly and i never bothered going for frogs, because it's not fun as you rightly point out.

but it's not required to do it either, so why bother?

The main story is pretty meh and considering this is FF with TONS of lore to draw from and ideas that could be done for quests, the best Square could come up with was a fucking dog tag mmo-like collectathon? Or collecting frogs/hunks of ore you give zero fucks about?

Maybe the correct answer is to not play them, but then I will still judge them as what Square deemed as fit content to put in an open world FF game. They are the laziest most lacking in thought and effort quests I've seen in quite a while. As I said made 10x worse from the fact Square have so much lore, FF enemies and other such content to draw from to try and offer memorable fan service. I know there is a load of fan service in general, but jeez, who thought collecting dog tags and frogs was simply a fantastic idea that must be in FF15? Not to mention done multiple times....

The hunts could have been "good filler" like they are in The Witcher 3, most with little back stories, but in FF they are all about quantity over quality. Go here, kill x, return, done. As barebones MMO grind quest as you can get. Plus accepting one at a time... jeeeezus, Square, pls. Such terrible execution.

So far for me while the highs are quite high, the lows are so damn low.

Chapter 13 isn't that bad. Even if you don't like it you can clear it in about 2 hours. It's probably a bit too long by about 30 minutes, but other then that I did not mind it. The patch will probably just make some minor tweaks and could be a few months away.

Just play ch.13 man. Its not that bad, you are gonna wait half a year for a patch that will make the chapter the very same, just 30 mins shorter.

You guys are probably right!

sackninja

I don't get what people find so confusing about the story. I'm on chapter 13 and the only thing that is still not explained is
ardyns motivations, if I was to guess I would say ardyns is one of the six in human form like gentiana was the glaceans human form. But he's like the God of daemons (Ifrit?) He is using the empire to kill the other gods plunge the world into darkness and increase the power of the demons.
I feel like I could fairly well explain everything that's happened so far and why besides that.

So I played through all of chapter 13 and actually thought it was great overall. It just nailed so many great moments. Major chapter 13 spoilers ahead
I liked the car death scene. Picking up the sword from Ravus and seeing the end of his redemption was epic, all the better for the time spent struggling with only the ring. Reuniting with the gang, especially Prompto. Finally the crystal was just done so well, with the music building and having had to leave your friends behind.

Finally on to my prediction.
Pretty much nailed it. Although I didn't see him being the heir to throne before noctis, that really turned out better than I thought it would. It justified all his actions in a way I thought they would just hand wave away, saying he'said just crazy.

One question finally
What did Ardyns name mean, his middle one, the one he said guess where it came. Something starting with I.

So I played through all of chapter 13 and actually thought it was great overall. It just nailed so many great moments. Major chapter 13 spoilers ahead
I liked the car death scene. Picking up the sword from Ravus and seeing the end of his redemption was epic, all the better for the time spent struggling with only the ring. Reuniting with the gang, especially Prompto. Finally the crystal was just done so well, with the music building and having had to leave your friends behind.

Pretty much nailed it. Although I didn't see him being the heir to throne before noctis, that really turned out better than I thought it would. It justified all his actions in a way I thought they would just hand wave away, saying he'said just crazy.

One question finally
What did Ardyns name mean, his middle one, the one he said guess where it came. Something starting with I.

Lucis Caelum is the family name.

Durden77

Thanks to everyone that answered my questions a few pages back! Been busy with work so I couldn't respond but I really appreciate it.

People are saying I need to watch Kingslave? What is that?

N0VAM0D

One question finally

I'm glad to hear someone else enjoyed it too!

That is awesome to hear guys!

Yup, very glad with the game as a whole. I thought it was gonna lose me if the chapters continued like they did from after the
Leviathan battle
in chapter 9 up until about a quarter of the way through chapter 13 — but instead it turned out to be great!

I am in Chapter 14 and level 50s. Any suggestions on fun/entertaining side quests to hit before wrapping this thing up?

How do all the YouTube video guys have aranea highwind in their party? How do you get that in endgame?

She helps you fight daemons at night randomly, or is it something different?

Just beat Chapter 13. Holy crap, that was so awesome. My only complaint about it is the pacing (it probably went on for too long), but everything from the story to how they changed up the gameplay was so on point. The only other minor thing is that you can spam the same strategy to take down the guards, but I enjoyed them nonetheless. I definitely got jump scared a few times too haha.

It also definitely had the most effective storytelling in the entire game so far. I was quite shocked to see the whole daemon narrative unfold. Wasn't expecting that from the game at all.

Top Bottom