• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless you're coming from a class with high STR growth it probably takes some serious training to actually get an Assassin to the point where they are decent with a bow. I turned Gaius into an Assassin and he is completely worthless with a bow (especially compared to Vaike as a Warrior).
True, but I pretty much only ever use bows on winged folks these days.

Soulhouf

Huh? What do you mean? Change a weapon after attacking? I don't remember that in any of the Tellius games, or the GBA ones. Now if you mean chose a target and then a weapon, well you can. Or you can go to options and set it to pick a weapon and then a target.

Yes in FE4&5 you could change the equipped weapon after attacking. It's a very strategic action because given the enemy in front of you you can adapt your weapon to defend accordingly.
Unfortunately we lost that option since FE6.
Also mounted units can continue their movement after attacking provided they didn't consume all the distance they had before attacking.

I do think you could in the GBA ones, you can kinda do it in this game but it's frustrating to do it that way (send another character next to the one character who attacked and then trade to reorder the items on the attacking character).

That's a good idea. I didn't think of that.

Proper usage of the restock option makes the inventory system alot stronger. But they really don't explain it at all.

I've never used restock - where is it and what does it do?

On Optimize - I actually use it quite a bit for a really quick re-org. Then I go through everyone and just double-check that they have what I think they should have. There are a few things the feature seems to favor that I don't agree with, but its still faster to use that (optimizing character by character) than to go through each, store what I don't need, trade out better items, etc. even if I have to make a few corrections here and there.

But the "optimize all" feature should work - it should be the same thing as scrolling through each individual characters and selecting optimize.

Basically, I want an "optimize all" that does the following:

* Removes items that can't be used by each character and stores them in the convoy
* Looks for better weapons in the convoy than what each character has, and trades them. If a character can use more than one weapon type, it fills his or her inventory with at least one of each type
* Equips one healing item if a slot is available and you have the item in the convoy

This gets a little complicated because of priority - who gets optimized first - but there has to be a way to solve that.

I wouldn't even think about such a feature if the inventory system was easier/faster to use. I didn't even particularly love FFTA's system but its miles above this.

Edit: I realize I'm being overly critical. It doesn't take THAT much time and I'm getting faster at working my way around it. Its just literally the ONE thing I would change about this game. If they really nailed the inventory this would be one of the few games ever I would describe as mechanically flawless.

Tom_Cody

I'm planning to download this after work and I'm pretty excited given the review scores this has been getting. I spent a minimal amount of time with one of the GBA Fire Emblems but otherwise this will be my first experience with the series. If you'll take the time, I have a few questions:

1) What are play sessions like? I just turned 30 and I no longer have the time to sit down and play a game for a few hours at a time. Usually I will sit down with a game for ~20 minutes a day with maybe 2-3 1 hour sessions over the course of a weekend. Is this game well suited to that type of play? Given that it is mission based, I would assume that play sessions are relatively modular? What is the longest a mission can take?

2) Is there any basic advise I should have going in? Specific character classes to pursue? Branching paths in the story to be aware of? Anything else?

3) Are there any advantages/disadvantages to downloading vs. buying a physical copy?

Thanks in advance!

I thought it's self explanatory, it takes the same items you have in the convoy and refill the inventory your characters are carrying.

So if I have an Iron Sword in a character's inventory, and it has 5 uses left, and I have an Iron Sword in my convoy with 30 uses, it will trade the two? Does it always just look for the item with more uses left?

Soulhouf

So if I have an Iron Sword in a character's inventory, and it has 5 uses left, and I have an Iron Sword in my convoy with 30 uses, it will trade the two? Does it always just look for the item with more uses left?

Your Iron Sword will have 35 uses.
I know, it's very weird. How it's even possible...

JLeack

Banned
I reclassed my avatar to a Hero once he hit 20 in Grandmaster and now he's basically just a poor man's Donnel. :(

In other tales of tragedy, I suffered my second casualty yesterday (that I was willing to go through with) when Maribelle went down in Chapter 20. Lon'qu is so upset at losing his wife that I'm afraid he won't be able to participate as frequently in future battles. Her sacrifice will not be forgotten.

Reading this blew my mind. I had no idea how impactful relationships are.

Skilletor

Man, this game is fucking hard. I'm getting bodied at the 2nd Risen battle. I keep making stupid moves and having my characters in a position to get gang up on.

I love it. :)

zroid

Banned
Damn the RNG in this game. I was playing a map and there was only one more unit to kill. Enemy turn. Walks up to my General and crits with a 4% chance. *sigh*

:(

I've been lucky with enemy crits so far -- only one time, and it was a case where the unit would have been killed whether or not there was a crit lol -_-

It just added insult to injury

Why would you ever want to upgrade your cleric? I don't want my dedicated healer running around with axes or blasting people. I just want her to have 4 types of healing rods and do her job. I'd rather just reclass her to troubador for the movement bonus.

Also, I have a bunch of really awesome bows and nobody to use them so I upgraded Lonnie to Assassin. Now he has 10 hp regen per turn on an 11 mt bow that has two advantages, which is amazing.

Wilsongt

I paired Maribelle with Virion because both are annoying aristocrats.

Also, Brady's map and Paralouge 17 fucking suuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Virion is starting to come into his own....

But now... I have Donny and Morgan. It's like two unstoppable beasts.

FeMU is nowhere near as glorious at her son, though. :( She has failed me.

Edit: I paired Lon'qu with Cherche and the supports were pretty good. Now I have can recruit Gerome... A wyvern knight... with Astra... WHAT?!

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I'm planning to download this after work and I'm pretty excited given the review scores this has been getting. I spent a minimal amount of time with one of the GBA Fire Emblems but otherwise this will be my first experience with the series. If you'll take the time, I have a few questions:

1) What are play sessions like? I just turned 30 and I no longer have the time to sit down and play a game for a few hours at a time. Usually I will sit down with a game for ~20 minutes a day with maybe 2-3 1 hour sessions over the course of a weekend. Is this game well suited to that type of play? Given that it is mission based, I would assume that play sessions are relatively modular? What is the longest a mission can take?

2) Is there any basic advise I should have going in? Specific character classes to pursue? Branching paths in the story to be aware of? Anything else?

3) Are there any advantages/disadvantages to downloading vs. buying a physical copy?

Thanks in advance!

1)It really depends on a few things. Earlier on the missions are quicker since there's less enemies, so the further in the game you get, the longer the levels generally are. Second, depends on how you play. If you play casual, that'd likely be quicker since you probably wouldn't reset as much. Same applies to classic(permadeath), but if you're somebody who resets every time they lose somebody, it'd obviously take a bit longer. I'm through ch 15 and most levels are under half an hour, but it's possible I spent longer via resetting. So really it depends on how you play (I hope this wasn't too confusing).

2)Classwise you can reclass a bunch so it's not much of an issue. You can pretty much play what you like. One thing to keep in mind is that some characters have children, so you might want to keep that in mind when you raise support levels. Having children unlocks extra levels where you can recruit them, but it's totally optional.

3)Not really, though you may have a hard time finding a physical copy. I suppose an advantage to digital aside from that is always having it on your 3ds without swapping carts. There's no price difference or anything though.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Why would you ever want to upgrade your cleric? I don't want my dedicated healer running around with axes or blasting people. I just want her to have 4 types of healing rods and do her job. I'd rather just reclass her to troubador for the movement bonus.

Also, I have a bunch of really awesome bows and nobody to use them so I upgraded Lonnie to Assassin. Now he has 10 hp regen per turn on an 11 mt bow that has two advantages, which is amazing.

In previous games clerics had some really awesome end stats when they were promoted in previous games. Dunno about this game but Lissa is pretty boss.

Also, Brady's map and Paralouge 17 fucking suuuuuuuuuuuuuck.
Yeah man, Brady's map was so freaking brutal. It's basically the game saying, "oh, you think you're cool because you have a unit or two that can wreck a map? Well good luck, because you aren't surviving this unless you have about seven of them." I had to give everyone an elixir or concoction on that map because I couldn't risk getting a healer close enough to heal them. When I finally managed to beat it it was by the skin of my teeth.

Brady's map was really tough for me at first since I had everyone paired up. Once I unpaired them and just had those pairs block doorways it made it much more manageable for me.

The game seems like it's getting easier as I go along. I'm on hard mode, but now that I have a few paired and evolved units I just sweep maps without having to heal anymore. Sometimes I even stick my mage in the middle of nowhere by himself and just let him take 4 or 5 enemies per turn.

In previous games clerics had some really awesome end stats when they were promoted in previous games. Dunno about this game but Lissa is pretty boss.

Yeah, but as long as she can heal what's the difference? Do clerics suddenly become demon axe wielders or something?

Better stats and actually being able to support her husband in battle while still having said 4 different rods for when needed? I mean, just because she got an axe it doesn't mean she has to focus on it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The game seems like it's getting easier as I go along. I'm on hard mode, but now that I have a few paired and evolved units I just sweep maps without having to heal anymore. Sometimes I even stick my mage in the middle of nowhere by himself and just let him take 4 or 5 enemies per turn.

Yeah, but as long as she can heal what's the difference? Do clerics suddenly become demon axe wielders or something?

Actually yes, yes they do.

Roto13

Thanks in advance!
1) Portable game is portable. It's perfectly suited to a few minutes or a few hours at a time. You can stop in the middle of a battle and resume really easily, too. Tactical RPGs are good for that. That's why there's so many of them on handhelds. Actual mission length varies, but it's so easy to suspend your game and pick it up later that it really doesn't matter how long they are.

2) Talk to people with Chrom to recruit them. :p Don't accidentally kill Gaius like I did.

3) Well, you know. There's a lot of SpotPass content and DLC, plus StreetPass functionality, so it's a pretty convenient game to have on your system at all times. On the other hand, there's no price difference and you can't lend/resell it. Don't worry about it too much. Just get whichever version you want.

Better stats and actually being able to support her husband in battle while still having said 4 different rods for when needed? I mean, just because she got an axe it doesn't mean she has to focus on it.

I dunno, unless it's an especially easy map, Lissa is generally the one unit I don't pair with anyone.

Anteo

I dunno, unless it's an especially easy map, Lissa is generally the one unit I don't pair with anyone.

Btw you know there are disadvantage for mount units right? Some terrain make them move slower than regular units and they are weak to beast killer weapons.

Plus in this game you will have more than enough healers, my main team have like 4 or 5: 2 upgraded healres and 2 upgraded mages and a falco knight, plus i'm getting a trickster so add one more.

Lucentto

Banned
Just beat my second playthough on Hard/Classic. I didn't have too much trouble honestly. It was pretty hard starting out but after Chapter 6 it kind of became a cakewalk. I had too many OP units.

Draxal

Any suggestions on who to pair maribelle and lissa with? I'd like their kids to turn out well hopefully

Most important thing if you want uber kids for those two is to class change to pegasus knight then dark flier to pass along the galeforce skill.

The other way to break those two is to marry them to Henry and Libra, to give them access to the Dark Mage class (nosferatu is considered broken).

But in all honesty, just pick the two you like the best with them.

Tom_Cody

1)It really depends on a few things. Earlier on the missions are quicker since there's less enemies, so the further in the game you get, the longer the levels generally are. Second, depends on how you play. If you play casual, that'd likely be quicker since you probably wouldn't reset as much. Same applies to classic(permadeath), but if you're somebody who resets every time they lose somebody, it'd obviously take a bit longer. I'm through ch 15 and most levels are under half an hour, but it's possible I spent longer via resetting. So really it depends on how you play (I hope this wasn't too confusing).

2)Classwise you can reclass a bunch so it's not much of an issue. You can pretty much play what you like. One thing to keep in mind is that some characters have children, so you might want to keep that in mind when you raise support levels. Having children unlocks extra levels where you can recruit them, but it's totally optional.

3)Not really, though you may have a hard time finding a physical copy. I suppose an advantage to digital aside from that is always having it on your 3ds without swapping carts. There's no price difference or anything though.
1) Portable game is portable. It's perfectly suited to a few minutes or a few hours at a time. You can stop in the middle of a battle and resume really easily, too. Tactical RPGs are good for that. That's why there's so many of them on handhelds. Actual mission length varies, but it's so easy to suspend your game and pick it up later that it really doesn't matter how long they are.

2) Talk to people with Chrom to recruit them. :p Don't accidentally kill Gaius like I did.

3) Well, you know. There's a lot of SpotPass content and DLC, plus StreetPass functionality, so it's a pretty convenient game to have on your system at all times. On the other hand, there's no price difference and you can't lend/resell it. Don't worry about it too much. Just get whichever version you want.
Thanks guys.

Niraj raises a good point in that I can be a terrible perfectionist when is comes to games like this, to the point that it ruins the experience. I have a hard time playing Advance Wars games without restarting levels numerous times until I can get the highest rankings. I will make a point of not doing that going in to this. In fact, this post has made me decide in advance to play on Casual Mode.
I'm playing my first time on hard and it's still pretty easy.
One more question: Any suggestions as to what difficult I should choose as someone new to the franchise? I don't want to get in over my head but I don't want to get caught in one of Nintendo's no-challenge difficulty levels either.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
One more question: Any suggestions as to what difficult I should choose as someone new to the franchise? I don't want to get in over my head but I don't want to get caught in one of Nintendo's no-challenge difficulty levels either.

If you don't get easily frustrated, Hard / Classic is probably the way to go. You'll get a good challenge, but can learn along the way. By the end of Hard, you'll probably have an easy time unless you limited yourself on battles outside of story missions (DLC, spotpass, random Risen spawns), but it will be much more satisfying than Normal. On Normal you'll just be steamrolling maps and you might not even develop some of the most basic FE strategies. I wouldn't play Lunatic on your first playthrough; Save it for the second go around.

And I say choose Classic because it will give you a real feel for the series, and it'll most likely change your approach to maps when there is permadeath present. This will also give you a significant bump in difficult, if you're planning on playing without letting anyone die.

Draxal

Thanks guys.

Niraj raises a good point in that I can be a terrible perfectionist when is comes to games like this, to the point that it ruins the experience. I have a hard time playing Advance Wars games without restarting levels numerous times until I can get the highest rankings. I will make a point of not doing that going in to this. In fact, this post has made me decide in advance to play on Casual Mode.

I'd go hard/casual, with limiting grinding unless you really run into trouble.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
So guys I am getting like two to three green streetpass-style characters popping up on my map every day, and I have streetpassed one person with Fire Emblem ever (and that person didn't even show up on my map). Is anyone else getting this?

My guess is that it's my wife's 3DS. Our systems tag a couple times a day, just sitting in their requisite docks, but she doesn't own the game. Does Fire Emblem randomly generate a streetpass team from ANY tag the system makes? Sorta how Mario 3D Land has rewards for game-specific-tags AND anything-tags?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
So guys I am getting like two to three green streetpass-style characters popping up on my map every day, and I have streetpassed one person with Fire Emblem ever (and that person didn't even show up on my map). Is anyone else getting this?

My guess is that it's my wife's 3DS. Our systems tag a couple times a day, just sitting in their requisite docks, but she doesn't own the game. Does Fire Emblem randomly generate a streetpass team from ANY tag the system makes? Sorta how Mario 3D Land has rewards for game-specific-tags AND anything-tags?

You'll receive a Spotpass character every day too. That's the 'extra' green guy.

jordn613

Unconfirmed Member
This thread is huge and while I'd like to read through it, I don't think I have the time. That said, as someone new to the series I'm having a little trouble sorting things out regarding the various iconography in the stats and effects. Is there a good starter's guide to the game? I'm a few missions in, and while I do grasp the core mechanics, I'm not always sure who to pair up with who (or why), who I should position to fight one enemy vs. another (based on who will have the greatest effect), or how some of the stats really shake out and influence the numbers in combat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom