• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roto13

Thanks guys.

Niraj raises a good point in that I can be a terrible perfectionist when is comes to games like this, to the point that it ruins the experience. I have a hard time playing Advance Wars games without restarting levels numerous times until I can get the highest rankings. I will make a point of not doing that going in to this. In fact, this post has made me decide in advance to play on Casual Mode.
One more question: Any suggestions as to what difficult I should choose as someone new to the franchise? I don't want to get in over my head but I don't want to get caught in one of Nintendo's no-challenge difficulty levels either.

If you're going to play Casual, Hard is probably better for you. Classic Normal is also no cakewalk if you don't grind.

GeekyDad

This thread is huge and while I'd like to read through it, I don't think I have the time. That said, as someone new to the series I'm having a little trouble sorting things out regarding the various iconography in the stats and effects. Is there a good starter's guide to the game? I'm a few missions in, and while I do grasp the core mechanics, I'm not always sure who to pair up with who (or why), who I should position to fight one enemy vs. another (based on who will have the greatest effect), or how some of the stats really shake out and influence the numbers in combat.

When on the battlefield, click on an empty space and it will bring up the menu. In there is a full list of guides. As for who to pair up, what do you like? There are lots of combos to choose from, but generally speaking, pairing up characters on the battlefield helps a ton by increasing stats, as well as allowing you to switch out wounded characters, characters weak in the weapon chain, etc.

jordn613

Unconfirmed Member
When on the battlefield, click on an empty space and it will bring up the menu. In there is a full list of guides. As for who to pair up, what do you like? There are lots of combos to choose from, but generally speaking, pairing up characters on the battlefield helps a ton by increasing stats, as well as allowing you to switch out wounded characters, characters weak in the weapon chain, etc.

I think the main thing is I haven't figured out how to tell what grants a character the ability to respond to an enemy attack (sometimes a character will automatically hit back; sometimes they wont). Is this indicated somewhere?

I think the main thing is I haven't figured out how to tell what grants a character the ability to respond to an enemy attack (sometimes a character will automatically hit back; sometimes they wont). Is this indicated somewhere?
A character will always hit back if the enemy is in range of their currently equipped weapon.

What's the benefit of pairing up a group of people in battle as opposed to just having them stand next to each other? I usually pair up Chrom and my guy but Chrom takes all the experience, he's at level 11 and I'm at level 4.

Fucked up my positioning and took away Chrom when I meant the Avatar on stage 9 to kill some flanking units. I needed to buy a turn so I could bring him back and talk to the person I wanted to convert, but one unit(lon Qu and Panne) couldn't move far back enough. Panne survives attacks from 5 goddamn units, killing two, then the one I wanted to convert tries to attack as well. Panne dodges a killing blow, then does two attacks that let the unit survive... and Lon Qu goes all Leeroy Jenkins and kills it ;_;

RESTART

I've been wanting
Tharja since the beginning of the game :-(

Sure, the only thing you need to be connected for is to buy them.

Thanks!

What's the benefit of pairing up a group of people in battle as opposed to just having them stand next to each other? I usually pair up Chrom and my guy but Chrom takes all the experience, he's at level 11 and I'm at level 4.

massive stat bonuses, basically. Sticking a general on a mage for instance can make an impenetrable magic wall, or putting chrom on a pegasus knight can send him to the other side of the field in one turn without actually risking the weak pegasus. Think of it as combining all the best attributes of two units in exchange for only being able to do one action per turn. I have a Dark Knight paired with a Great Knight and they pretty much never take damage as a unit, but separately they'd be taking 4-6 per turn and I'd eventually have to heal them. Plus, you're more likely to one-shot someone with a paired unit.

ultron87

Pairing them nets you only one attack but also keeps the unit in the backup slot entirely safe from attack. So you can have a Pegasus Knight out in bow infested territory hiding behind someone else or whatever.

zroid

Banned
pairing also gives you stat boosts. depending on the pair and the circumstances, it could be the difference between defeating an enemy in one turn or keeping yourself alive.

mercviper

pairing also gives you stat boosts. depending on the pair and the circumstances, it could be the difference between defeating an enemy in one turn or keeping yourself alive.

I pretty much have to pair all my units on Lunatic mode to make sure the majority of the map isn't able to land double hits. -_-

Are weapon ranks "remembered" after reclassing? If I have an A in swords, then switch to a magic class, then back to a sword class, will I still have an A-rank?

Repost from many pages ago:

I played the easiest "Bonus Box" battle a 2nd time, and it told me that by doing it I'd be able to improve the stats of the character you recruit. However after I finished the mission, they just asked me to choose between the character I already had, and another one with identical stats. How do I actually improve the character's stats?

I thought it said they'd be stronger if you did it at a higher difficulty.

Your Iron Sword will have 35 uses.
I know, it's very weird. How it's even possible...

Wait, the "Merge" feature from FE12 actually is in this game?! I tried Restock and I thought it just gave me a new weapon from the convoy!

Pairing them nets you only one attack but also keeps the unit in the backup slot entirely safe from attack. So you can have a Pegasus Knight out in bow infested territory hiding behind someone else or whatever.

And even then not necessarily. Gotta love those quadruple attacks every now and then.

chrono01

I always pair my Units up. Yes, generally only one person gets XP, but when they have high Support they often each take turns in battle which net both of them XP [unless the enemy dies in one hit, which is common-place now that my characters are so overpowered -_-].

It was the only way for me to realiably level up Donnel. I paired him with Kellam/Frederick, and used the paired-up stat increases to slowly progress to the point where he could attack the enemies himself. Now he's a monster.

I find it difficult not to start each battle simply pairing all of my Units together.

Draxal

Essential reading for understanding the Dual and Pair-Up mechanics:

Dual

Pair-Up

The way pair up interacts with gale force is pretty cool too.

If both have gale force, attack with one unit kill guy, then you're allowed to move again. Switch to the other char kill a guy, and then you're allowed to move again as well. It's pretty sweet to watch in action and allows double pegasus knights to pretty much move across the entire map in one turn.

I always pair my Units up. Yes, generally only one person gets XP, but when they have high Support they often each take turns in battle which net both of them XP [unless the enemy dies in one hit, which is common-place now that my characters are so overpowered -_-].

It was the only way for me to realiably level up Donnel. I paired him with Kellam/Frederick, and used the paired-up stat increases to slowly progress to the point where he could attack the enemies himself. Now he's a monster.

I find it difficult not to start each battle simply pairing all of my Units together.
Agreed, I use and abuse pair-up like nobody's business. It's gotten so bad that I'll usually just leave a unit out if I'm allowed an odd number...

Soulhouf

So when you hit restock it's just combining another weapon into whatever weapons your character already has? If so that would have been useful to know about 35 hours ago...

Yes and that's why now I always buy weapons directly to the convoy and restock from there. I think that's the best way to do it.

onilink88

Chrom x Sumia/Pie is best pairing. And damn, talk about power couple.

But seriously, this has to be my favorite cast of any SRPG. Everyone has such distinct and colorful personalities; the characters engrave themselves into my memory with little to no effort, something I can't say for most RPGs with casts this big that I've previously played (that, of course, includes pre-Awakening FEs).

Also, starting to think that playing on Lunatic on my first playthrough wasn't such a good idea. Kinda killing my enjoyment of the game...

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Thanks guys.

Niraj raises a good point in that I can be a terrible perfectionist when is comes to games like this, to the point that it ruins the experience. I have a hard time playing Advance Wars games without restarting levels numerous times until I can get the highest rankings. I will make a point of not doing that going in to this. In fact, this post has made me decide in advance to play on Casual Mode.
One more question: Any suggestions as to what difficult I should choose as someone new to the franchise? I don't want to get in over my head but I don't want to get caught in one of Nintendo's no-challenge difficulty levels either.

Probably casual/hard. That way it isn't too easy, but you also don't have to worry about wasting time resetting.

Alright, so my avatar is pretty much at lv20 now. Should I reclass or promote? Both his STR and MAG are exactly equal since I don't think I made either of those an asset or flaw.

Esura

Banned
I got too many party members.

Is it ideal to focus on a core set of characters? I'm having trouble thinking of who to pair with who atm.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Alright, so my avatar is pretty much at lv20 now. Should I reclass or promote? Both his STR and MAG are exactly equal since I don't think I made either of those an asset or flaw.

Whatever you want. But if you promote him and get to level 10 of Grandmaster, you can then reclass into any prepromotion, or promoted class.

I got too many party members.

Is it ideal to focus on a core set of characters?

Yes, generally your party will probably become a core unit.. with maybe a couple units swapping in and out to fit specific battles. There's no real point in using all the characters unless you want to grind a lot in sidequest, or want more of a challenge. Of course the one reason to use all the characters are for support convos.

njean777

Ordered of Amazon, hope it ships soon. This will be my first Fire Emblem game. I have played all the Disgaea games, so I hope it wont be to hard for me.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
It's probably been answered but is there pretty much a soft-cap for leveling? I was told you could technically max out everyone since there's "infinite" levels by simply reclassing or second-sealing back to level 1 of the same class. By the 3rd or 4th reclass though experience gain is basically down to 8 exp for any enemy killed for me, even boss units

chrono01

It's probably been answered but is there pretty much a soft-cap for leveling? I was told you could technically max out everyone since there's "infinite" levels by simply reclassing or second-sealing back to level 1 of the same class. By the 3rd or 4th reclass though experience gain is basically down to 8 exp for any enemy killed for me, even boss units

Yes, there's a cap.

8XP, I believe, is the lowest amount you'll ever receive, so it shouldn't drop more than it currently has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom