• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
I now believed I was playing too much match making too early in the game before the parents got their promoted classes skills, so my 2nd gen are kinda gimped compared to you guys -_-'

Couldn't resist the lure of Waifu Emblem.
I discovered this when it was too late for me but I think the skills your children inherit are your last equipped skills (so, on the bottom of the list I'm assuming). You have until the moment you enter the paralogue with the child to alter what skills they inherit.

Anyone feel free to correct me if any of that is wrong.

My kids line of thought is basically:

"Can I get them Galeforce? If yes, do that."
"Can I get them Lifetaker? If yes, do that."
"Can I get them sweet hair? Fuck, why is this third?"

If you think too much about the kids, you'll slowly realize half your army will be replaced by them :x
Haha, this is great.

Mr. Fix

I discovered this when it was too late for me but I think the skills your children inherit are your last equipped skills (so, on the bottom of the list I'm assuming). You have until the moment you enter the paralogue with the child to alter what skills they inherit.

This is correct. Just don't enter the paralogues, otherwise it'll lock their inherited skills down.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I now believed I was playing too much match making too early in the game before the parents got their promoted classes skills, so my 2nd gen are kinda gimped compared to you guys -_-'

Couldn't resist the lure of Waifu Emblem.

The hardcore grinding for skills and stats is really unnecessary to finish the game. You can pair up whoever you want and still beat it. Mix-maxing is an obsession hobby for some, but it's not for everyone.

This is correct. Just don't enter the paralogues, otherwise it'll lock their inherited skills down.
If only I had known earlier I wouldn't have kids with stuff like Rally Movement. :p

The hardcore grinding for skills and stats is really unnecessary to finish the game. You can pair up whoever you want and still beat it. Mix-maxing is an obsession hobby for some, but it's not for everyone.
I'm still on my first playthrough and I haven't really given any consideration to min-maxing (paired whoever I wanted to, use whoever seems to be doing well for me, class change however I want) but I think it's fun to dig into the numbers a bit more for a second playthrough. You're right though, it probably won't make much of a difference regardless.

Draxal

Some of the later dlc is going to be very very hard supposedly, lunatic + (and that's the true reason I'm playing casual).

Anyway quick guide to Galeforce inheritance.

These fathers pass the pegasus knight/dark flier class along to female daughters.
Donnel, MU (Male), Gaius
These mothers have female childen without pk/df
Tharja, Sully, Nowi.

These mothers have pk/df class availabe but have male sons so need to grind galeforce out before the stage.
Maribelle, Lissa, Olivia.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
If only I had known earlier I wouldn't have kids with stuff like Rally Movement. :p

I'm still on my first playthrough and I haven't really given any consideration to min-maxing (paired whoever I wanted to, use whoever seems to be doing well for me, class change however I want) but I think it's fun to dig into the numbers a bit more for a second playthrough. You're right though, it probably won't make much of a difference regardless.

I usually save any sort of number crunching / grinding / deep mechanic knowledge for my second playthrough, since I actually enjoy playing games like this blind, not knowing growth rates, broken skill sets, etc.

My
Lucina
is totally rocking that Rally Movement ;_;
Aww, that's too bad... I will say I do like Rally Spectrum though, that is one Rally skill that's pretty useful.

I usually save any sort of number crunching / grinding / deep mechanic knowledge for my second playthrough, since I actually enjoy playing games like this blind, not knowing growth rates, broken skill sets, etc.
Yep, same here. In fact, I'm really thinking I need to finish the game soon before all of this stuff starts getting into my head pre-second playthrough. :p

Soulhouf

Since the kids are able to change to their parents classes, they can learn their skills even if they don't inherit them. Except of course the gender specific skills.

Reveirg

Just finished Ni No Kuni so I'll be getting to Fire Emblem soon...

I've only seen really positive impressions all around, but what about the soundtrack? Is it as good as the rest of the game?

mercviper

Just quoting myself in hope that someone can confirm this. If that's the case, I'd be super happy, to know I'm not losing out on exp.

Have 1 top2 D-man out for 3 more games, my 2nd best goal scorer out for the whole playoffs, as well as my starting goaltender out for the whole playoffs. -sigh-

Exp isn't finite in this game, so you aren't losing out per se. The game remembers the levels you've gained, however, and using the Master Seal auto-gains you the internal levels to hit 20 under that promotion, so it's going to be harder to gain exp as you'll be considered a higher level. The soft caps mentioned are when reclassing to level 1, the game never considers you internally to be higher than 20/30/50+current level depending on difficulty.

tldr; The only downside to promoting early is harder xp gains.

Velcro Fly

So my Donnel is starting to wreck. I've paired him up with my avatar a little bit and got that support up to B and paired him up with Vaike if only for boosts and maybe a place to hide him since my Vaike has almost 40 HP already. Need to find him a woman to marry though.

I married Chrom off to Sumia and they are formidable. Her strength isn't that great but she has amazing speed and skill and together with Chrom they are beastly. My avatar and Sully are the same way. I'm pairing up Miriel with Kellam since their support conversations have been cute so far. Not really worried about if their pairing is bad or anything.

Also should I level up Maribelle too? My Lissa is really far advanced so leveling up another healer seems like the wise thing to do. But damn she cannot take a hit. Thinking about playing the DLC level a couple times to maybe get her up to level 5 or so before I seriously consider using her. Her movement is just so good compared to Lissa even though my Lissa is really high leveled and has had a few beastly level ups.

Got my first medium bullion today as well. Not sure if those are static or random on enemy units or what but I got one. Now have close to 12k in my war chest now. I also got a couple items that permanently boost a stat by 2. I think I got one for RES and one for LUCK. Not sure who I'm going to use those on quite yet.

I'm starting to enjoy the game more and more though.

Mr. Fix

but what about the soundtrack? Is it as good as the rest of the game?

ihf7lpi7dx.gif

Mr. Fix

Also should I level up Maribelle too? My Lissa is really far advanced so leveling up another healer seems like the wise thing to do.

Only to change her into a Dark Flier so that her kid could inherit Galeforce. Though if you're just playing the campaign, I'd say it's fine not to use her.

DP, my bad.

scy

Got my first medium bullion today as well. Not sure if those are static or random on enemy units or what but I got one.

The Risen encounters (random ones and Reeking Box ones) will have Bouillons. You'll also generally find them on some units in story maps.

This reminds me though, I haven't actually seen a random Risen encounter in like ... two or three days. I have no money ;_;

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
The Risen encounters (random ones and Reeking Box ones) will have Bouillons. You'll also generally find them on some units in story maps.

This reminds me though, I haven't actually seen a random Risen encounter in like ... two or three days. I have no money ;_;

Leave your game on sleep mode when you have the world map active before you go to bed. You should have risen and secret maps spawn if you do so. Also, Spotpass.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

I have over 100k on normal classic just from selling M and L bullions, of which one or more seems to be present on each story map.

That combined with Donnel w/ a leif's blade = money all day.

Theoretically, you could also abuse the DLC villages and just keep repeating the level with Chrom's no use falchion or Donnel with Armsthrift to rake in infinite money as well.

There's also a DLC map that'll eventually hit which has 72k in enemy drops per clear.

scy

Leave your game on sleep mode when you have the world map active before you go to bed. You should have risen and secret maps spawn if you do so. Also, Spotpass.

I don't believe any of the Spot Pass teams drop Bouillons. That's how I've been grinding since, as noted, no Risen. I really should grind DLC Maps for a Leif's Blade / get Despoil.

And I do leave my game on when I go to sleep :x That's why I was confused since, as far as I'm aware, Risen spawns were determined by time.

That combined with Donnel w/ a leif's blade = money all day.

Theoretically, you could also abuse the DLC villages and just keep repeating the level with Chrom's no use falchion or Donnel with Armsthrift to rake in infinite money as well.

I've thought about doing it. Like, I'm broke and it's an annoyance but it's not really an issue since I know ways around it if needed. Was more just, "Man, I really haven't seen any random Risen in forever."

Holy crap, just finished chapter 13 and the map just opened up with tons of paralogues, including some on the (spoiler)
second continent.

This game is fantastic. You Fire Emblems fans have kept this series secretive.

I have no idea why but when I beat a particular paralogue yesterday (somewhere in the teens) it spawned literally five or more Risen challenges on the map. Now my world map is just covered with them.

kayos90

I don't believe any of the Spot Pass teams drop Bouillons. That's how I've been grinding since, as noted, no Risen. I really should grind DLC Maps for a Leif's Blade / get Despoil.

And I do leave my game on when I go to sleep :x That's why I was confused since, as far as I'm aware, Risen spawns were determined by time.

I've thought about doing it. Like, I'm broke and it's an annoyance but it's not really an issue since I know ways around it if needed. Was more just, "Man, I really haven't seen any random Risen in forever."

No. Not the spotpass teams. Just have spotpass on. Leave the game on sleep on the world map and watch it do its magic. Seriously. It works.

I have no idea why but when I beat a particular paralogue yesterday (somewhere in the teens) it spawned literally five or more Risen challenges on the map. Now my world map is just covered with them.

The best ones are the maps that have two risen icons on them and they're all higher level than you. LOL.

scy

This is the entire reason I kept progressing the story. Was like, "Maybe ... maybe I just need to clear a map? Yeah, let's try that."

Then I made like 30k from those maps and didn't care for awhile and went back to Support Grinding.

No. Not the spotpass teams. Just have spotpass on. Leave the game on sleep on the world map and watch it do its magic. Seriously. It works.

Like I said, I do :x Though I'm starting to think maybe I've been leaving it on the World Map with the menu open or something. I've literally had nothing happen event wise on the map for a few days now with Spotpass enabled and the game having never been turned off.

kayos90

This is the entire reason I kept progressing the story. Was like, "Maybe ... maybe I just need to clear a map? Yeah, let's try that."

Then I made like 30k from those maps and didn't care for awhile and went back to Support Grinding.

Like I said, I do :x Though I'm starting to think maybe I've been leaving it on the World Map with the menu open or something. I've literally had nothing happen event wise on the map with Spotpass enabled and the game having never been turned off.

I take breaks after an hour or so session. After I come back from doing schoolwork and leaving the 3DS on in the manner I described I'll get roughly 1-2 (spawns for every hour) with it being a secret shop or a Risen encounter. Don't leave it on with the menu. Just leave it on the world map with nothing. That's all you have to do.

EDIT: I think there's a hidden cap because as more time goes on the spawn rate declines exponentially.

Wilsongt

So, Spotpass characters can change into any class. Florina as a monster? Yesplz.

But, I finally got Brady last night. After the enemies kept smashing themselves against the walls that are Morgan, Donny, and Lon'qu, things got much easier.

GSR

Is there anything more satisfying than going up against an enemy Swordmaster with Kellam and having them activate Astra to do five hits of 0 damage?

scy

I take breaks after an hour or so session. After I come back from doing schoolwork and leaving the 3DS on in the manner I described I'll get roughly 1-2 (spawns for every hour) with it being a secret shop or a Risen encounter.

I do the same (except my break is "Playing LoL" ;_;). Nothing.

Like, it's not really an issue so I haven't looked into anything for it. I'm going to double check when I get home since now I'm curious about it. It's probably as I said, though: Putting it to sleep with the menu up rather than idling on the map. Because apparently hitting B one extra time is too time consuming.

kayos90

Is there anything more satisfying than going up against an enemy Swordmaster with Kellam and having them activate Astra to do five hits of 0 damage?

Giving your swordmaster a Log, activating Astra and having a crit activate on every hit. lol.

I do the same (except my break is "Playing LoL" ;_;). Nothing.

Like, it's not really an issue so I haven't looked into anything for it. I'm going to double check when I get home since now I'm curious about it. It's probably as I said, though: Putting it to sleep with the menu up rather than idling on the map. Because apparently hitting B one extra time is too time consuming.

Yeah. If it doesn't work then I have no idea.

scy

Well, if it doesn't work then I consider myself king of the Risen and they are beneath me.

But the most likely case is just user error.

As per always.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Having an assassin escape death by using lethality after dodging an attack that should have hit.

Uhh, Chrom just married Olivia on the same mission that I got her. They have no social rank lol

I just stuck her on him because Chrom was the leftover dude since all my other units were paired and married and she just showed up during the battle. I'm like, "she sucks, better stick her on Chrom so she doesn't die".

MARRIED

Fire Emblem is just so good at giving you those kinds of feelings. The way the game scales as you progress by just throwing more and more enemies at you really makes you feel like your characters are becoming stronger and stronger, to the point where you just feel like an unstoppable god. Of course, those feelings are generally followed by enemy reinforcements spawning behind you and landing a lucky crit on your weakest unit, but still...

So they got married after one mission, then Chrom proposes after they're already married, and now I got a barracks event where their relationship improved.

Olivia - "If this is madness then lock me up and throw away the key!"

Gartooth

I just finished
chapter 13
and I have a quick question, for my couples that are already married, if I change their skills/classes before I recruit their kids, will those abilities be passed onto the kids, or is it locked after finishing
chapter 13
?

We ARE talking about Chrom's marriage, right?

I just finished chapter 13 and I have a quick question, for my couples that are already married, if I change their skills/classes before I recruit their kids, will those abilities be passed onto the kids, or is it locked after finishing chapter 13?

You're in no hurry when it comes to the skills, so take your time planning out the children.

scy

Of course it was, but they just play the support after the marriage with no warning.

It's because Chapter 11 forces Chrom into a marriage. Olivia, for you, happened to have the highest support rating with him (which is only possible if he basically avoids all the other women until then).

If it makes you feel any better, Olivia gives the children the best stats for Chrom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom