• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forkball

Be a boss and for a U-shape around her. Gotta build up that wall. You'll have two units for spare, and they'll always be ignored by those fools trying to get in.

I did it, but man I was glad I brought Maribelle. I kept messing up the formation, those guys kept getting in. You have to kind of space yourself two squares away from her without leaving a gap.

Also I just realized there are rewards you can redeem for renown in the wireless section. FREE BULLIONS.

Draxal

Can you S rank siblings? Can say, female Morgan and Yarne with Avatar as the father get married?

Nope, but you can in one story make Inigo/Lucina bro/sis and in the next game get them hitched.

By far my favorite support so far was Owain/Severa, Severa couldn't be any more tsundere if they tried.

Soulhouf

Okay I'm starting to get the children and I don't like it at all.

Is there a point where I need to use them or can I stick with the parents?

Looks like
Lucina
and
Owain
can S-rank. Bit close in the gene pool, ain't it?
I totally did that last night and didn't even realize what was weird about it until just now... whoops!

They don't actually get married, though.

What should I second seal my avatar to? He was a 20 Tactician and a 20 Grandmaster right now.
I went from a 20 Grandmaster to a Hero but honestly I'm kind of regretting it (mostly because I was an idiot and chose SPD as my flaw). If I could do it again I'd probably just go back to Grandmaster honestly, that seems like a pretty useful and versatile class.

GeekyDad

Okay I'm starting to get the children and I don't like it at all.

Is there a point where I need to use them or can I stick with the parents?

Well, everyone but
Lucina
is acquired through paralogues, I believe. So, beside her, I imagine not.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe I just forged a ladle. But Donnel will destroy things will it, and it will last forever with Armsthrift, so it's all good.

15 crit and 1 extra might. Cost 800 gold.

Sheesh, my Gaius/Sumia couple may not be physically the strongest, but damn are they unkillable. Like 90% of the time they either dodge everything, or they block for each other when it would've hit.

Mr. Fix

I can't believe I just forged a ladle. But Donnel will destroy things will it, and it will last forever with Armsthrift, so it's all good.

15 crit and 1 extra might. Cost 800 gold.

Dammit, I'm too cheap to buy anything other than Iron weapons. I usually amass everything until the last 2-3 chapters before I start using them.

Finally hit lv15 with Donnel (enemies had been avoiding him lately) and reclassed him to Mercenary to begin his path to become a god of destruction.

Shame he loses lances and starts with an E in swords though.

Midou

Just forge a brave sword. Won't be cheap, but like you said, armsthrift.

I just found the sword with the most might, which in my inventory was Alm's Sword, got it to like 20 MT and 16% crit, when paired up with his wife, was like 30% or so. Not as good as 4 hits, but enough to kill anything. I renamed it to 'Farm Hand'. 10 uses for everyone else, infinite for donnel.

Checking in here. I just got past chapter 11. Am I correct in guessing that's about the halfway point of the game?

On 11 Donnell was at around half HP because I made a mistake on the previous turn. He took a hit and dropped to 4, then proceeded to dodge 3 attacks in a row. I've never been so scared in my life.

Also, 11 definitely felt like a difficulty ramp again, and looking at the map for 12 I nearly shit my pants. I really need to take some time and make sure everyone is well equipped. I also need to stop being indecisive and use seals on people(I've only MS'd Chrom to Great Lord at this point).

It's so hard deciding who to use. I've been rotating between a few different units in my 'last' slots, so to speak.

Chrom and Sumia are my destroyers. At S rank they crush anything that gets near them. After that Lon'Qu is a great unit, as are Cordellia and Ricken. I thought Kellam would be better than he is, but I feel the need to have a tank like him on the field.

Am I missing out on much by not marrying more characters at this point? I have a lot of characters at C rank with one another and a bunch at B, but I've yet to hit A rank with anyone other than Chrom/Sumia.

EDIT: The Dancer class is pretty cool as an idea, but I wish there were just a straight up Bard. Have there been in any other FE games?

Midou

There's no way the Leif's Blade's description is accurate. I'm not getting bullions equal % to Donnel's 40+ luck stat

You have lost favor with the RNG.

I made Yarne a Berserker, I was getting like 4 bullions per fight, and his luck was like under 20 lol..

Midou

Am I missing out on much by not marrying more characters at this point? I have a lot of characters at C rank with one another and a bunch at B, but I've yet to hit A rank with anyone other than Chrom/Sumia.

Benefits of marriage outside support bonuses come after Chapter 13, but you don't need to do it by any specific time. Though the chance for support attacks and defence you get from having a high support value between 2 characters helps a lot. It's like over 80% for support attacks sometimes if 2 characters are S-ranked/married.

Mr. Fix

Checking in here. I just got past chapter 11. Am I correct in guessing that's about the halfway point of the game?

On 11 Donnell was at around half HP because I made a mistake on the previous turn. He took a hit and dropped to 4, then proceeded to dodge 3 attacks in a row. I've never been so scared in my life.

Also, 11 definitely felt like a difficulty ramp again, and looking at the map for 12 I nearly shit my pants. I really need to take some time and make sure everyone is well equipped. I also need to stop being indecisive and use seals on people(I've only MS'd Chrom to Great Lord at this point).

It's so hard deciding who to use. I've been rotating between a few different units in my 'last' slots, so to speak.

Chrom and Sumia are my destroyers. At S rank they crush anything that gets near them. After that Lon'Qu is a great unit, as are Cordellia and Ricken. I thought Kellam would be better than he is, but I feel the need to have a tank like him on the field.

But the children units are awesome. Also, I'd say 13 is the halfway point.

I try to alternate half my team every chapter. Someone should really try making Kellam into an Assassin. I'm sure he'd wreck with his defence, despite the small nerf from changing classes.

Could someone tell me what song this is that starts at 14:25 and ends at 16:00. http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/connectivity/33252
I not even close to starting this game (major major backlog issues, I probably should just stop buying games for a year) hopefully I'll get to it before the year is over. Anyway I'd look for it myself but in my experience, searching Youtube often leads to spoilers even if you're careful, it's like surprise critical hit out of nowhere. Though I'll probably will have forgotten the spoilers by the time I get to play this.

Radiant Dawn has some of my favorite Fire Emblem music and I remember thinking to myself the other day, people seem to be pretty on and high on this game's music but will it really be comparable and then I heard this track while listening to the podcast and thought to myself, that's exactly the kind of Fire Emblemy music that I'm looking for. Anyone who responds please also share how you feel about this game's music.

Benefits of marriage outside support bonuses come after Chapter 13, but you don't need to do it by any specific time. Though the chance for support attacks and defence you get from having a high support value between 2 characters helps a lot. It's like over 80% for support attacks sometimes if 2 characters are S-ranked/married.

Ah, k. Thanks.

But the children units are awesome. Also, I'd say 13 is the halfway point.

I try to alternate half my team every chapter. Someone should really try making Kellam into an Assassin. I'm sure he'd wreck with his defence, despite the small nerf from changing classes.

I want the children units! I'm just indecisive about who to pair up. I try to test out different combinations to see what I think, and also to see what conversations between different characters look like.

Mr. Fix

Could someone tell me what song this is that starts at 14:25 and ends at 16:00. http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/connectivity/33252
I not even close to starting this game (major major backlog issues, I probably should just stop buying games for a year) hopefully I'll get to it before the year is over. Anyway I'd look for it myself but in my experience, searching Youtube often leads to spoilers even if you're careful, it's like surprise critical hit out of nowhere. Though I'll probably will have forgotten the spoilers by the time I get to play this.

Radiant Dawn has some of my favorite Fire Emblem music and I remember thinking to myself the other day, people seem to be pretty on and high on this game's music but will it really be comparable and then I heard this track while listening to the podcast and thought to myself, that's exactly the kind of Fire Emblemy music that I'm looking for. Anyone who responds please also share how you feel about this game's music.

I believe it's this one.

Or this one.

I don't remember all of Radiant Dawn's, but I'd say it's more busy and "majestic-y" than the ost in this game. Both are still top-fuckin'-notch though.

I want the children units! I'm just indecisive about who to pair up. I try to test out different combinations to see what I think, and also to see what conversations between different characters look like.

There's several ways you can do it:

- Passing down gender-locked skills to a child of the opposite sex
- lolChemistry
- Hair color for your kids
- Class changing options the parents have that you want your kid to have as well

GeekyDad

Just forge a brave sword. Won't be cheap, but like you said, armsthrift.

I just found the sword with the most might, which in my inventory was Alm's Sword, got it to like 20 MT and 16% crit, when paired up with his wife, was like 30% or so. Not as good as 4 hits, but enough to kill anything. I renamed it to 'Farm Hand'. 10 uses for everyone else, infinite for donnel.

So, how does that work exactly? I was looking the skill up on Serenes Forest and it says "Luck*2%." Not clear on how that's calculated. Obviously, it's not a fixed two percent. Does that mean your Skill stat multiplied by 2?

scy

I had every single one of mine planned out based off of stats because I'm a horrible person.

And then I started Support Grinding.

Half of my pairings have changed ;_; Some of the conversations are so good.
aka, sorry Kjelle but no Galeforce for you

So, how does that work exactly? I was looking the skill up on Serenes Forest and it says "Luck*2%." Not clear on how that's calculated. Obviously, it's not a fixed two percent. Does that mean your Skill stat multiplied by 2?

(Luck * 2)%, if that helps the readability of it. 50 Luck would mean a 100% Success Rate.

Midou

Well Armsthrift is 2*luck% chance to not use up a weapon. Donnel has a cap for Luck of 48, if you pair him up with just about any character with decent luck, he will gain +2 or +3 luck and with 50 luck he has a 2*luck = 100% chance to not use up a weapon.

Edit: Beaten, but with added detail. :p

So this is probably pretty overkill of me but I'm starting to plan a second playthrough with character selections based primarily on growth rates and I was wondering what you guys' opinion was on something. Basically I'm looking at all of the first gen characters who can be Swordmasters and attempting to rank them. I've come up with a formula that values each growth rate differently (basically just a weighted average) but obviously the values are pretty arbitrary since they are just based on my personal experience and feelings. So, how do you guys feel about these weights for the Swordmaster class:

SPD - 100
STR - 90
SKL - 80
LCK - 60
DEF - 55
HP - 40
RES - 15
MAG - 5

Based on a weighted average using those values Gaius is the number one swordmaster, followed by Olivia (wow) and Lon'qu. Anything in there jump out as completely off to anyone?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I love Owain. I've been playing with the Japanese voice track, but I switched it to English for a while and his English voice is absolutely hilarious. BEHOLD!

His support convo with Morgan (M) is one of the funniest things in the game.

I believe it's this one.

Or this one.

I don't remember all of Radiant Dawn's, but I'd say it's more busy and "majestic-y" than the ost in this game. Both are still top-fuckin'-notch though.

Fate Fire. Thank you very much, I appreciate it. It's kind of funny I know exactly what you mean when you say busy and majestic-y. One of the comments says that it sounds like something that would be in Soul Calibur and I didn't come to that conclusion on my own just from listening to it but after the suggestion I can't believe how well it would fit there as well.

Thanks again, I agree that Fire Emblem music is truly great.

scy

Based on a weighted average using those values Gaius is the number one swordmaster, followed by Olivia (wow) and Lon'qu. Anything in there jump out as completely off to anyone?

Just to note, Luck is always Luck/2 in it's related combat formulas. I assume it's already factored like that but ... hey, just in case. Besides that, I'd edge up SKL a little since it's factored into crits so heavily and I love me some crits :x Plus, skill activations (Astra is Skill/2, Lethality is Skill/4).

Edit: Oh yeah, there's some Luck related Skills too (Armsthrift, Despoil, Miracle) ... though probably not all that relevant to these three. I'd also note that Olivia can get Galeforce and the other two cannot.

And, yeah, Olivia is kind of really good when promoted. I just wish she had better caps (+1 SKL/SPD, -1 DEF/RES) ;_;

Soulhouf

I re-classed Kellam to a thief. I do no longer recognize that person anymore lol
If people used to not notice him as a knight, now he became completely invisible. Perfect!

Just to note, Luck is always Luck/2 in it's related formulas. I assume it's already factored like that but ... hey, just in case. Besides that, I'd edge up SKL a little since it's factored into crits so heavily and I love me some crits :x Plus, skill activations (Astra is Skill/2).

And, yeah, Olivia is kind of really good when promoted. I just wish she had better caps (+1 SKL/SPD, -1 DEF/RES) ;_;
Yeah, I noticed that with Luck but I still thought it should be factored in fairly highly since it plays into Hit Rate and Avoid. I think you're right about Skill though, crits are very nice... Do you think Skill should be higher than Strength?

I didn't factor in the skills to my thought processes but maybe I should... Might as well keep complicating it more and more, right?

Mr. Fix

I love Owain.

4m7JD8o.jpg

Fate Fire. Thank you very much, I appreciate it. It's kind of funny I know exactly what you mean when you say busy and majestic-y. One of the comments says that it sounds like something that would be in Soul Calibur and I didn't come to that conclusion on my own just from listening to it but after the suggestion I can't believe how well it would fit there as well.

Thanks again, I agree that Fire Emblem music is truly great.

Np, breh. I actually don't recall hearing Fate Fire, probably because I play without the animations. It's awesome.

I re-classed Kellam to a thief. I do no longer recognize that person anymore lol
If people used to not notice him as a knight, now he became completely invisible. Perfect!

Haha, pretty much what I thought too.

Draxal

I love Owain. I've been playing with the Japanese voice track, but I switched it to English for a while and his English voice is absolutely hilarious. BEHOLD!

His support convo with Morgan (M) is one of the funniest things in the game.

Owain has the best support conversations (he's also the second most popular male char in Japan after Chrom).

Highlights are his Inigo and Severa conversations.

scy

Yeah, I noticed that with Luck but I still thought it should be factored in fairly highly since it plays into Hit Rate and Avoid. I think you're right about Skill though, crits are very nice... Do you think Skill should be higher than Strength?

I didn't factor in the skills to my thought processes but maybe I should... Might as well keep complicating it more and more, right?

Skill = Strength, maybe just nudge it to 100 like SPD if you plan to use Astra (Skill/2) or Lethality (Skill/4). Gaius has access to the most Luck related Skills (Armsthrift from Mercenary, Despoil from Warrior) so that might be worth note as well. Especially since, off-hand, he has the worst Luck of the three. He also has access to Sol from Hero so there's that too; uses his really good Skill!

...then again, at that much grinding other classes for skills, now we're at max stats territory and not growths!

On that note, it wasn't until these posts that I realized how many good skills Gaius had access to ;_;

Skill = Strength, maybe just nudge it to 100 like SPD if you plan to use Astra (Skill/2) or Lethality (Skill/4). Gaius has access to the most Luck related Skills (Armsthrift from Mercenary, Sol from Hero, Despoil from Warrior) so that might be worth note as well. Especially since, off-hand, he has the worst Luck of the three.

...then again, at that much grinding other classes for skills, now we're at max stats territory and not growths!

On that note, it wasn't until these posts that I realized how many good skills Gaius had access to ;_;
Haha, that is a very good point! Honestly I don't think I'll worry too much about grinding for skills, and ideally I'd like to reclass a unit as few times as possible.

Hmm... I think I'll try Hero next. I don't know what it is about these sword classes but I just love them. Of course, I still need to factor in the kids as well which could get very interesting.

scy

Haha, that is a very good point! Honestly I don't think I'll worry too much about grinding for skills, and ideally I'd like to reclass a unit as few times as possible.

I'd worry about at most one other. For instance, I'd most likely do Thief -> Assassin -> Swordmaster for Gaius and Dancer -> Dark Flier -> Swordmaster for Olivia.

Of course, I still need to factor in the kids as well which could get very interesting.

My kids line of thought is basically:

"Can I get them Galeforce? If yes, do that."
"Can I get them Lifetaker? If yes, do that."
"Can I get them sweet hair? Fuck, why is this third?"

If you think too much about the kids, you'll slowly realize half your army will be replaced by them :x

GeekyDad

(Luck * 2)%, if that helps the readability of it. 50 Luck would mean a 100% Success Rate.

Well Armsthrift is 2*luck% chance to not use up a weapon. Donnel has a cap for Luck of 48, if you pair him up with just about any character with decent luck, he will gain +2 or +3 luck and with 50 luck he has a 2*luck = 100% chance to not use up a weapon.

Edit: Beaten, but with added detail. :p

Ah, yeah. Okay. Damn good skill, then, especially if there's a weapon(s) you want to invest in forging completely. And my Donnel seems to get a lot of Luck increases each level.

Draxal

I'd worry about at most one other. For instance, I'd most likely do Thief -> Assassin -> Swordmaster for Gaius and Dancer -> Dark Flier -> Swordmaster for Olivia.

My kids line of thought is basically:

"Can I get them Galeforce? If yes, do that."
"Can I get them Lifetaker? If yes, do that."
"Can I get them sweet hair? Fuck, why is this third?"

If you think too much about the kids, you'll slowly realize half your army will be replaced by them :x

I just go galeforce and try to give the child as much class options as possible, if I was truly minmaxing I'd probably try to pass out sorcerer class to as many kids as possible.

massoluk

Banned
I now believed I was playing too much match making too early in the game before the parents got their promoted classes skills, so my 2nd gen are kinda gimped compared to you guys -_-'

Couldn't resist the lure of Waifu Emblem.

Draxal

I now believed I was playing too much match making too early in the game before the parents got their promoted classes skills, so my 2nd gen are kinda gimped compared to you guys -_-'

Couldn't resist the lure of Waifu Emblem.

Well, did you actually do the stages to get the kids yet? You still have a chance to change the parents skills until then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom