• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'm really confused on the aspect of Second Seals. Do you lose experience/stats/weapon proficiency when you reclass them? Or does all that carry over and only the amount of experience you get changes? I don't want to reclass with a Second Seal and make my unit weaker.

Weapon Proficiency is always remembered / carried over.

scy

I'm really confused on the aspect of Second Seals. Do you lose experience/stats/weapon proficiency when you reclass them? Or does all that carry over and only the amount of experience you get changes? I don't want to reclass with a Second Seal and make my unit weaker.

You lose nothing with ONE exception: If you go from a class with higher stat caps to one with lower ones (e.g., you have 45 STR and Second Seal to a class that caps at 30 STR). You'll lose 15 STR in that class but the game still remembers them for when you get to a class with a high enough STR cap for them.

Edit: Actually, I want to double-check this. A part of me wants to say the only stat drop you'd see is from base class differences (e.g., going from a class with a Base STR of 12 to one with a Base STR of 9 would cause -3 STR) and you'd not temporarily lose any over-capped stats.

GeekyDad

Judging solely from my experience of using Second Seals with leveled up characters (since there's so much info and none of it all that helpful or comprehensive), it seems like you gain some stats and lose some stats depending on the focus of the class you're changing to. But overall, it seems like you continue to gain stats from your new class. So, the few you might lose in transition should be made up for and then some when changing classes. As to all this "internal level" stuff, I couldn't tell you. I don't even know where folks are getting these numbers, even Serenes Forest. But I'm confident they have some idea what they're talking about, even if I do not.

I love FE games, but I'll probably never obsess over stats and all that shit. I look at it like Donny does: if I can take a dude on in one turn, I'm good; otherwise, time to stat boost. I prefer to keep things more simple, in spite of really enjoying all the stat talk.

Okay, thanks guys. I think I understand now. I've never been a huge statmonger (never gave a crap about IV/EVs in Pokemon either) but I just wanted to make sure I knew exactly how Second Seals work before I started using them. Especially since I have a pretty kick-ass party right now. (My Morgan is regularly getting 0% chances for enemies to hit him, and Kjelle is already one-shotting most enemies and she isn't even a promoted class yet.)

You lose nothing with ONE exception: If you go from a class with higher stat caps to one with lower ones (e.g., you have 45 STR and Second Seal to a class that caps at 30 STR). You'll lose 15 STR in that class but the game still remembers them for when you get to a class with a high enough STR cap for them.

Edit: Actually, I want to double-check this. A part of me wants to say the only stat drop you'd see is from base class differences (e.g., going from a class with a Base STR of 12 to one with a Base STR of 9 would cause -3 STR) and you'd not temporarily lose any over-capped stats.

It does look like the difference of base stats based off what Serenes Forest has. Though I imagine that you will also see a reduction if you hit the cap of a stat as well.

On my next run I definitely think I'll level my units to 20 before promoting. It's true that you don't miss out on anything skill wise by promoting the majority of classes at 10 (and you can potentially reach other skills more quickly) but the hit to the rate at which you gain EXP really made it difficult for a lot of my weaker characters to keep up. If you don't mind tons of grinding this isn't really an issue but it's something I generally try to minimize.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Everyone seems to be using Donnell as a Merc. He's an absolute god as a fighter. 45 HP(at level 8) 22+ Str and everything else. It's ridiculous. His bronze axe averages 29 x 2 against Generals. It's ridiculous.

I love FE games, but I'll probably never obsess over stats and all that shit. I look at it like Donny does: if I can take a dude on in one turn, I'm good; otherwise, time to stat boost. I prefer to keep things more simple, in spite of really enjoying all the stat talk...

:)

i knew a guy on another board who, if he couldn't wrap his head around the stat mechanics of an srpg close to completely, he'd just pass on it. thus, he ended up not playing a helluva lotta what i'd consider very good games...

i enjoy the whole stat thing conceptually, but, other than the simple basics, i've played & enjoyed loads of srpgs (maybe my favorite genre) without ever really understanding most of the finer points. but, yeah, it's fun to listen to people who do 'get it' discussing it :) ...

McNum

There is one advantage of the game releasing later here in Europe. All this stat talk and min/maxing? Yeah, it's been done for us already when the game is out.

The whole "not having the game yet" is the downside.

Chuckpebble

Where are the characters' feet?
It's an artistic choice! Supposedly.

I noticed this long after I made my character and named him 'Boots'. Got a hearty laugh out of that.

01_Vaike.JPG

02_Miriel.JPG

03_HubbaHubba.JPG

04_Srank.JPG

By the way, I'm really disappointed in swapnote right now.

Draxal

Everyone seems to be using Donnell as a Merc. He's an absolute god as a fighter. 45 HP(at level 8) 22+ Str and everything else. It's ridiculous. His bronze axe averages 29 x 2 against Generals. It's ridiculous.

It's just because the merc skill armsthrift combines so well with his luck growth.

But yeah, there's honestly no real bad to go in this game, and you can go with whoever you like, unless you really want to min/max skills at end game.

scy

:)

i knew a guy on another board who, if he couldn't wrap his head around the stat mechanics of an srpg close to completely, he'd just pass on it. thus, he ended up not playing a helluva lotta what i'd consider very good games...

i enjoy the whole stat thing conceptually, but, other than the simple basics, i've played & enjoyed loads of srpgs (maybe my favorite genre) without ever really understanding most of the finer points. but, yeah, it's fun to listen to people who do 'get it' discussing it :) ...

I've done enough work on Disgaea to last me a lifetime, I'd imagine ;_;

I enjoy it though.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

It's because Armsthrift is such an amazing Skill with Donny's Luck, while the Fighters Skills are very underwhelming. Either way, he ends up being an amazing Hero.

PBalfredo

Anyone know how authentic the spotpass/DLC characters are in relation to their stats/growths in their original games? Like, is spotpass Nino going to have the same insane growths she had in FE7?

Acerac

Banned
Is the most logical way to level Nawi/Panne reclassing them away from and then back to their original class? Their stats minus their respective stones aren't too impressive, but they are absolute monsters with the boosts these items provide.

Roto13

Is the most logical way to level Nawi/Panne reclassing them away from and then back to their original class? Their stats minus their respective stones aren't too impressive, but they are absolute monsters with the boosts these items provide.

If you want, you can just switch them from Manakete/Taguel to Manakete/Taguel and reset their levels to 1.

scy

Well ... they have amazing growth rates so you'd not really gain anything by going from their base class to another base class. If you grind them to 30, you can Second Seal directly into a promoted class.

So apparently this game is already rare? Just placed my order via Amazon. They accepted it even though it's listed as outta stock. let's see what happens. :p

Lunar15

I love draco knights, so I'm probably going to connect my avatar with Cherche.

Also, from her bio:
she is surprisingly strong as she gained her vicious dragon mount by defeating her and surviving her fire breath, only getting a bald spot from the encounter.

Those are qualities I tend to look for in a woman.

not sure if I dig her character, but her official art is quite nice.

L_olivia.jpg

Which is why I marry chrom with sumia. Cuz pies, and I don't particularly like the character of either. Save the best waifus for better dudes.

I think maribelle has been sitting in my bench since I got her :(

1 healer is all my party needs.

Now if they only had an umbrella as a sword in this game...

OceanBlue

You will come across a villager named Donnel. Don't finish that mission without leveling him up once to recruit him. He is a god in farmer's clothing.

Oh wow, I didn't realize he needed to be leveled to be recruited. I was wondering why I didn't get him and figured he just appeared in another paralogue. Lol, shit.

chrono01

Artwork like Olivia [and Tharja, for that matter] is the reason why I imported the artbook from Japan.

I absolutely love the art for Awakening.

TWILT

Banned
Hey Cherche is mine.

That said, I might pair myself up with Sumia on my next playthrough. Chrom can have Olivia this time.

Ferrio

Banned
So I tried the demo, does your main character have to be a mage type?

Or did I get that by picking Luck as my best skill.

ohlawd

Oh wow, I didn't realize he needed to be leveled to be recruited. I was wondering why I didn't get him and figured he just appeared in another paralogue. Lol, shit.

When you start the mission, there's a pop up that roughly says "Level up Donnel in this skirmish or he ain't joining your team"

How did you miss that? :p

No.

Your Avatar can use both Swords and Tomes as part of his Tactician class.

mercviper

As far as I can tell, you can pick whatever type you want it to be later when you choose classes. You do start equipped with a tome for magic, but you can also swap it for a sword if you want to play it more as a fighter. Damage is based on stats and growths in those stats have higher chances based on your class.

Javier

He uses Tomes and Swords. He's kinda like an FE4 Mage Fighter.

Later in the game you can class change to whatever you want, though.

OceanBlue

When you start the mission, there's a pop up that roughly says "Level up Donnel in this skirmish or he ain't joining your team"

How did you miss that? :p

I missed it because I was doing something else and mashing A at the time. I tried to leave the paralogue and re-enter to see what it said but it didn't pop up. I figured it wasn't anything important. :(

Lol, goddammit. I'm really pissed now. I don't want to restart this file, but I can't stand the thought of missing a character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom