• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeonZ

I like Ike, but Chrom stole his Aether...

Only the Fire Emblem gameplay mechanic though - Absorb energy (Sol)-> ignore defense (Luna). The actual animation is completely different from Ike's version, and SSBB didn't use any of Aether's actual proprieties, only (half of) the animation.

Do the temporary shops on the world map disappear after a certain amount of time, or only after you visit them? Don't have enough money for another second seal, so I figure I'd go back later.

I chickened out at the start and went for Hard. I really should've restarted around Chapter 5 or so and went for Lunatic ;_;

Oh well.

Edit: I actually haven't beaten the game either. Too much Support grinding as I try to figure out how I want to do my pairings
that will be irrelevant when I do them all for stats and classes anyway
I can't imagine how much of an endless rabbit hole this game would be if you really got into the support conversation grinding, haha. I really wanted to do one playthrough that was kind of blind so that I didn't spend too much time trying to min/max or worry about details like skill inheritance and even meaningful stat bonuses from pair-ups. Now that that's out of the way it's time to get serious, though. :p

The thing is, I don't know if I'm up for Lunatic just yet. It sounds insane. Hard was definitely challenging for me for the most part and it rarely felt like a cakewalk (although some of the later Chapters that I did right after a bunch of Paralogues were pretty easy).

ultron87

When grinding support do all enemy encounters get you the same number of "points" or do you need to fight stuff around the characters level or something?

AKA, can I just go to a early chapter map, spawn some Risen, and kill them all with a single high level pair to grind out support?

scy

I can't imagine how much of an endless rabbit hole this game would be if you really got into the support conversation grinding, haha.

I have most of them done.

...before the kids, anyway.

:|

I really wanted to do one playthrough that was kind of blind so that I didn't spend too much time trying to min/max or worry about details like skill inheritance and even meaningful stat bonuses from pair-ups. Now that that's out of the way it's time to get serious, though. :p

I was going to as well but then I got interested in the mechanics and then curiosity happened and the next thing I know I have pages of notes.

I may have a problem.

When grinding support do all enemy encounters get you the same number of "points" or do you need to fight stuff around the characters level or something?

AKA, can I just go to a early chapter map, spawn some Risen, and kill them all with a single high level pair to grind out support?

Any encounter is fine. Just give a unit a Handaxe/Javelin/Tome and spam end turn on Florina's Spot Pass team. They'll suicide to you in 3-4 turns and you'll most likely get +1 Support Level per map clear. With all animations off it takes no time at all really.

I was going to as well but then I got interested in the mechanics and then curiosity happened and the next thing I know I have pages of notes.

I may have a problem.
Didn't you say you were a Disgaea fan as well? I can't imagine what one of those bad boys does to you...

Draxal

I may have a problem.

Any encounter is fine. Just give a unit a Handaxe/Javelin/Tome and spam end turn on Florina's Spot Pass team. They'll suicide to you in 3-4 turns and you'll most likely get +1 Support Level per map clear. With all animations off it takes no time at all really.

Roy Dlc - get a char into the middle right above marth using a flyer, and it only takes one turn (everybody on the Roy DLC team is a melee char as well so it works awesome for melee chars..

scy

Didn't you say you were a Disgaea fan as well? I can't imagine what one of those bad boys can do to you...

If the mechanic for it is known, I've done the work on it for the Disgaea games. That would be every stat formula, item growth formula, damage formulas, etc. I did a few of the posts here on GAF for D4 and D3Vita too, though nothing major that I recall.

Edit: That D3V post! Which reminds me, I never went back to solve how HQ functioned entirely ;_;

I actually think some of the work I did back for D1 made it into the DoubleJump guide reprint.

Roy Dlc - get a char into the middle right above marth using a flyer, and it only takes one turn (everybody on the Roy DLC team is a melee char as well so it works awesome for melee chars..

Hadn't bought it yet! Good to know, maybe it'll speed things up. Most the Florina time spent is moving on the World Map to where she spawns and then wasted turns where they have to cross the map to reach you :/

First, all my jealous want towards that FE 3DSXL bundle Europe is getting.

Second, mm that money DLC map. Can't wait for the exp one so I can finally start getting all the kids.

Boken

Banned
April 19th? Jesus christ, that's so far away.

I need this.

I don't want a blue one with just a decal. Why couldnt it have been the all black one? Or the white one?

I have a question for those who have completed the final mission.

What's the difference between having Chrom finish Grima or having the MU finish Grima?

I mean which one is the canonical/right/true ending?

Does it make a difference or it is another choice illusion?

If the mechanic for it is known, I've done the work on it for the Disgaea games. That would be every stat formula, item growth formula, damage formulas, etc. I did a few of the posts here on GAF for D4 and D3Vita too, though nothing major that I recall.

Edit: That D3V post! Which reminds me, I never went back to solve how HQ functioned entirely ;_;

I actually think some of the work I did back for D1 made it into the DoubleJump guide reprint.
Maaaaaan. I can definitely appreciate stuff like that but it isn't the main reason I play SRPG's. In fact, I really don't like the Disgaea series at all because I feel like it gets bogged down in too many unnecessary systems and unbalanced mechanics. It just seems like it turns into, "look how big I can make this number!"

Fire Emblem is the perfect balance to me. The mechanics are deep enough to be unique and interesting but simple enough to be easily understood. I like that there are stat caps on characters and stuff like that as well. It's more restrictive but I think that's a sign of good design in this case.

john tv

Maaaan, I am SUPER jealous of you Europe FE fans! Getting an XL version of the LE 3DS is pretty amazing. Props to you, seriously.

So... whats the difference between the spotpass character you can recruit and the dlc ones?

Any overlap? Do they have the same stats?

Not too sure why people are flipping about the LE XL. Seems like a standard XL color scheme with a decal. Shouldn't be too hard to do myself (when the warranty expires naturally).

scy

Maaaaaan. I can definitely appreciate stuff like that but it isn't the main reason I play SRPG's. In fact, I really don't like the Disgaea series at all because I feel like it gets bogged down in too many unnecessary systems and unbalanced mechanics. It just seems like it turns into, "look how big I can make this number!"

I like mechanics and numbers :x

Really, Disgaea 1 was just fun at the time and I got into the whole solving-everything-ever aspect of it for some reason or another and it's just sort of stuck with me since. Generally speaking, if I'm posting about a game, I've looked into how the game works at some level.

Fire Emblem is the perfect balance to me. The mechanics are deep enough to be unique and interesting but simple enough to be easily understood. I like that there are stat caps on characters and stuff like that as well. It's more restrictive but I think that's a sign of good design in this case.

Fire Emblem has always been a rather straightforward series to me. Like, the mechanics are there, sure, but it's not anything overly complicated. So it's fun to be able to focus more on the execution of playing rather than the numbers of playing.

Something like that, anyway.

Roto13

New Bonus Box stuff up. Path of Radience Team, Dark King's Lament Paralogue (yay), and two new Bonus Challengers.

Can the All Stats +2 skill increase a unit's stats over their cap?

Draxal

So... whats the difference between the spotpass character you can recruit and the dlc ones?

Not too sure why people are flipping about the LE XL. Seems like a standard XL color scheme with a decal. Shouldn't be too hard to do myself (when the warranty expires naturally).

Three types of chars.

1. Postgame spotpass DLC characters - they're pretty much additional story characters like Say'ri, Anna, and Tiki.
2. Normal spotpass chracters - they're pretty much like the avatar (have same class choices) but they mave skills that the avatar can't get.
3 DLC chars - are pretty much like the normal spotpass characters except they have some unique abilities compared to their spotpass char (depending on the char).

Let's take Roy for example cause he's awesome.

DLC Roy: Level 11 Merc, comes with Dual Strike+ and Aegis.
SpotPass Roy: Level 20 Hero, comes with Armsthrift, Patience, Sol, Axebreaker and Aegis.

Of course a little unfair to choose one of the earlier DLC guys but in general they haves different starting levels, skills and the DLC characters have new art.

scy

Any reason to not promote a base-class unit as soon as they reach level 10?

Well, you lose 10 levels worth of stats that the game assumes you went through anyway. That is, Promoting at 10 gives you a Level 1 Promoted Unit which the game treats as a Level 21 character for EXP purposes.

For your FIRST Promotion, I'd say to just wait it out until 20 so you get those extra stat gains. If you're leveling in a base class after that, just promote at 10 since you'll probably have capped stats and wasting time grinding 11-20 on those.

New Bonus Box stuff up. Path of Radience Team, Dark King's Lament Paralogue (yay), and two new Bonus Challengers.

dont think so... wait the item or the grandmaster skill?

There is a convoluted answer about lvling up and crap, but pretty much no, just promote at lvl 10.

NeonZ

They often have different starting levels, a few rare ones like Micaiah, Eirika and Alm have completely different starting classes, and all DLC characters have at least one skill that an Avatar could never get (Morgan could though - kind of...), while the spotpass ones just have one skill from outside their main class tree (sometimes it can be one that an avatar can't get too, but most of them aren't).

Yes, it can. Skills go through stat caps.

dont think so... wait the item or the grandmaster skill?

It's a new skill from the Micaiah chapter.

Well, you lose 10 levels worth of stats that the game assumes you went through anyway. That is, Promoting at 10 gives you a Level 1 Promoted Unit which the game treats as a Level 21 character for EXP purposes.

For your FIRST Promotion, I'd say to just wait it out until 20 so you get those extra stat gains. If you're leveling in a base class after that, just promote at 10 since you'll probably have capped stats and wasting time grinding 11-20 on those.
This is the answer I'd go with as well. Better to get those relatively easy 11-20 level ups before promoting. I promoted most of mine fairly early and ended up regretting it. Of course, if you don't mind grinding it doesn't really matter.

GeekyDad

Yeah. As mentioned before, it seems (in my experience, at least) that you level quite a bit slower as a tier-2 class. If you're looking to max out stats, I recommend leveling all the way up to 20 in the tier-1 class before promoting, and maybe even consider re-classing and then promoting.

Roto13

Recruiting
Gangrel
from today's SpotPass map isn't easy. He's surrounded by allies so it's not necessarily wise to go in without a weapon equipped, but he also dies in one counter attack.
Yes, it can. Skills go through stat caps.

Nice. My avatar has maxed out all of his stats but luck. :p

An easy way to put it.

If you are planning on getting a character many skills from many classes, promote at lvl 10, and second seal at lvl 15.

Otherwise promote at lvl 20.

Rarutos

New Spotpass is out including
the Paralogue to recruit Gangrel
! This week's Spotpass group is Path of Radiance!

Edit: Oops, I was long beaten already! Oh well!

NeonZ

It also depends on the difficulty level you're playing through. On normal, there seems to be experience boosts to make up for the lower number of enemies early on, so promoting early isn't bad at all. On the other hand, on hard some units can easily benefit from a few extra levels before promotion, especially because class changes will just make him get experience slower and slower.

Lunatic is another matter. You pretty much might need the boosts of promotions as early as possible, but the lack of experience will hit even harder after some points... It can work for the avatar at least though, thanks to their experience boost skill.

Donnel doesn't need to go up to 20, promote him at 15. His max cap is 30 since he's a villager.

Frederick is already promoted. You can can use a second seal to switch to a different class if you want.

Oh that's right. What would be a good class to change Frederick to?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Only the Fire Emblem gameplay mechanic though - Absorb energy (Sol)-> ignore defense (Luna). The actual animation is completely different from Ike's version, and SSBB didn't use any of Aether's actual proprieties, only (half of) the animation.
I can totally imagine that spinning jump move that he used against Marth in chapter (5?) becoming his Aether though since there are no specialized skill animations.

chrono01

So yeah...I discovered Tharja keeps
a strand of my hair in her toolkit
[thanks to the Golden Gaffer DLC].

It seems like I chose the optimal wife.

Mupod

Yeah. As mentioned before, it seems (in my experience, at least) that you level quite a bit slower as a tier-2 class. If you're looking to max out stats, I recommend leveling all the way up to 20 in the tier-1 class before promoting, and maybe even consider re-classing and then promoting.

Be wary of stat caps, though. On my current lunatic run my plan was to take my avatar and use my two second seals to level through Tactician and Mercenary before switching to Pegasus Knight. My stats started to cap out in Mercenary around level 14 so I switched to pegasus knight, and 3-4 of my levels were wasted (only HP could increase) by the time I hit 10 in that class and could switch to Dark Flier (which has much higher caps so I can continue on my road to 50 luck).

So in the long run statwise you'll cap out eventually. Early game it's still better to level as much as you can due to a shortage of Seals.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I can totally imagine that spinning jump move that he used against Marth in chapter (5?) becoming his Aether though since there are no specialized skill animations.

We aren't even at the super jump sword plant used previously on Risen Axe Dude.

So yeah...I discovered Tharja keeps
a strand of my hair in her toolkit
[thanks to the Golden Gaffer DLC].

It seems like I chose the optimal wife.

I got a short blurb in the barracks where she hexes you to look younger or more handsome. Hilarious.

TWILT

Banned
Oh shit, new Spotpass is out? Need to get on that.
I have a question for those who have completed the final mission.

What's the difference between having Chrom finish Grima or having the MU finish Grima?

I mean which one is the canonical/right/true ending?

Does it make a difference or it is another choice illusion?

End game spoilers:
If you choose to let Chrom finish Grima, he's put back to sleep, but your Avatar regrets that he's not able to finish off Grima for good. Still, it's a happy ending, and Chrom says something like Grima will never prevail.

If you finish Grima yourself, Grima is gone for good and you sacrifice yourself, but Chrom (and everyone else) feels that you're still alive somewhere. There's an ending cutscene after the credits where Chrom finds you (just like in the beginning of the game) and he says something like, "Welcome back."

Not sure which is the "canon" ending, though I'm assuming it's the one where the Avatar finishes Grima off.

Oh shit, new Spotpass is out? Need to get on that.

End game spoilers:
If you choose to let Chrom finish Grima, he's put back to sleep, but your Avatar regrets that he's not able to finish off Grima for good. Still, it's a happy ending, and Chrom says something like Grima will never prevail.

If you finish Grima yourself, Grima is gone for good and you sacrifice yourself, but Chrom (and everyone else) feels that you're still alive somewhere. There's an ending cutscene after the credits where Chrom finds you (just like in the beginning of the game) and he says something like, "Welcome back."

Not sure which is the "canon" ending, though I'm assuming it's the one where the Avatar finishes Grima off.

Yeah, I just went with sacrificing the MU since it seemed like the right thing to do. I also noticed when Chrom takes your hand again the mark of Grima is gone.

That's definitely the canonical/true ending.

A Fire Emblem bundle is listed on NOA's site and is available to "backorder" on GameStop. Scroll down and look in the box to the right of Iwata's head:

http://fireemblem.nintendo.com/

If this isn't what you mean, just ignore me.

NOA get a normal 3ds bundle, EU get an XL bundle.

Is it just me or are all the magic animations super lackluster? I miss those crazy long ones from wii game... Make them long and impressive (and skippable).

This game probably has the most pathetic looking 'meteor strike' ive seen in a video game for a long ass time.

Roto13

Ok, apparently talking to the recruitable character and finishing the spotpass paralogue without him dying isn't enough to recruit him. ffs.

Ok, apparently talking to the recruitable character and finishing the spotpass paralogue without him dying isn't enough to recruit him. ffs.

You need to talk to him three times with the same unit.
Gangrel and Chrom have a LOT of hash to sort out, after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom