• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

zroid

Banned
I ended up using Stahl and Kellam a lot, mainly because of Donnel. The three of them together pretty much kicked tons of ass.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

It's Kellam. Being easily missable is kinda his thing.

Now I am not even sure whether Bladenic is serious or not, hahaha.

Oh I have gaius, because when he died I went NO! and reloaded the map. I married him to the avatar :)

What a waste of seeds, for both of them :p

Especially for the Female Avatar :p :p

I ended up using Stahl and Kellam a lot, mainly because of Donnel. The three of them together pretty much kicked tons of ass.

You can't hate a chest-plundering-capable character with 51 defense :D

And I really like Kellam, he's hilarious. Though I always have a soft spot for underdog characters. He is, support wise, I think the best pair for Cordelia.

CorvoSol

The best pairing is Virion with Nowi. The two creeps belong to each other.

I put Edgeworth with Sully. The pretty boy battle girl thing kinda reminded me of Mao and Weber from FMP.

Also I don't like Gaius at all. I probably will never pair him with anyone.

zroid

Banned
Honestly I like every character. Even the ones whom I thought I would hate, like Maribelle and Vaike, ended up having some awesome dialogue which won me over. Thanks, 8-4.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Are you asking why they didn't make Nowi wear a dress or give her big boobs?

Hahahaha.

Well, you know what I mean.

It's unfortunate that her existence is often cited by this game's detractors though; one of the prime reasons why some mock this game even without playing it (or after playing it in some cases)

Honestly I like every character. Even the ones whom I thought I would hate, like Maribelle and Vaike, ended up having some awesome dialogue which won me over. Thanks, 8-4.

8-4 did an awesome job.

Although some of their misses are unfortunate in my opinion, such as the incident of Sumia and Chrom's pies and Henry's characterization.

ffdgh

...Missing Gaius I can understand...I almost did but I reset chapter 6 for some reason and the fact I saw him in a suport online. But kellam...I know his joke is powerful but chrom is in freaking walking/talking distance of him at the start of the map XD.

Busaiku

If a character has a unique portrait, you try to talk to them with Chrom.
Gaius and Kellam are some of the best characters too.

With Nowi, I think two options for her would have been good --

1. Switch the no-supports thing from Tiki to Nowi. Tiki actually should be paired with those guys, at least she's physically mostly their age (discounting Ricken), then they could make her be like the past child manaketes (i.e. Fae)

2. Raise Nowi's physical age to be like Lissa/Maribelle/Ricken/Donnel(?)

Gvaz

Banned
...Missing Gaius I can understand...I almost did but I reset chapter 6 for some reason and the fact I saw him in a suport online. But kellam...I know his joke is powerful but chrom is in freaking walking/talking distance of him at the start of the map XD.

Didn't notice it at all. *shrugs*

ffdgh

Tharja is very surprising in her supports. Secretly nice dark mage lol.

Oh yeah A support Noire & Laurent. It's hilarious.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Kellam's backstory on how he gained his infamous ability is actually rather touching ;___;

As is the origin of Lon'qu's aversion towards females. Surprisingly, aside from Cherche, he also reveals it in his support with Tharja, of all people.

Didn't notice it at all. *shrugs*

It's just really baffling, hahaha.

Perfectly fitting with his shtick though. Amazingly so, in fact, holy shit.

zroid

Banned
Kellam's backstory on how he gained his infamous ability is actually rather touching ;___;

As is the origin of Lon'qu's aversion towards females. Surprisingly, aside from Cherche, he also reveals it in his support with Tharja, of all people.

This really exemplifies why I find the characters so satisfying. As much as many of them feel like generic tropes when you first meet them -- although, that doesn't mean they're not interesting and fun throughout -- the more you actually use the characters and talk to them, you start to peel back the layers of their personalities and backgrounds. And that's exactly how it should be; it's extremely rewarding.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
For certain definitions of 'nice.'
re: so thoroughly abusing her child with hexes and experiments that she's cripplingly frail and has split, dysfunctional personalities.
Still love her, though.

Well, she did what she did to
Noire because she wants to protect her and wants to make her stronger.

This really exemplifies why I find the characters so satisfying. As much as many of them feel like generic tropes when you first meet them -- although, that doesn't mean they're not interesting and fun throughout -- the more you actually use the characters and talk to them, you start to peel back the layers of their personalities and backgrounds. And that's exactly how it should be; it's extremely rewarding.

Yeah, one of my main reasons of keep plucking on after more than 200 hours poured to this game. Collecting supports.

Just aiming to collecting the purely unique ones already get me this long--and I am not even close to finishing... can't imagine how long it's gonna take if I decide to pursue all parents-brother-sister variants too... *phew*

Busaiku

Severa never developed into anything better.
I mean, her entire development is supposed to be a generic stereotype, which it was.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Severa never developed into anything better.
I mean, her entire development is supposed to be a generic stereotype, which it was.

Are you part of The Gunloc Team that seem to hate her so much? hahaha.

Well, she along with Lucina plus Owain + Inigo are voted as the most popular child characters in Japan, so maybe IS playing straight Tsundere with her actually works, hahaha.

She's an alright character though, all in all, for me. Her C support with lots of her choices tend to paint her as a jerk, yes, but overall her A and S supports work, most of the time, to showcase her 'charming' side.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Severa is the best child not named Lucina <3

For children characters: Lucina > Morgan > Nah = Noire = Cynthia > Owain > Inigo > Kjelle > Gerome > Yarne

Still haven't decided where I should put Severa.

Parent characters with specific daughters (not including children that can become Morgan's mother/father):

Lucina (hey it's Lucina so screw the above rule :p) > Lissa> Olivia > Cherche > Cordelia > Tharja > Panne > Nowi > Sumia > Sully.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Excuse you, you mispelled Morgan pretty badly.

Severa is my favorite.
Sorry Morgan.

For children characters: Lucina > Morgan > Nah = Noire = Cynthia > Owain > Inigo > Kjelle > Gerome > Yarne

Still haven't decided where I should put Severa.

Parent characters with specific daughters (not including children that can become Morgan's mother/father):

Lucina (hey it's Lucina so screw the above rule :p) > Lissa> Olivia > Cherche > Cordelia > Tharja > Panne > Nowi > Sumia > Sully.

For me it's

Lucina > Severa > Morgan > Owain > Nah > Inigo > Brady > Gerome > Noire > Cynthia > Kjelle > Laurant >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Yarne

2nd gens eh?

Yarne > Nah > Morgan(F) > Brady > Gerome > Owain > Laurent = Kjelle = Noire > Lucina = Cynthia > Morgan(M) > Being stabbed in the face > Severa

Are you part of The Gunloc Team that seem to hate her so much? hahaha.
I wouldn't use the word hate. More like Earth shattering disappointment.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Severa is my favorite.
Sorry Morgan.

For me it's

Lucina > Severa > Morgan > Owain > Nah > Inigo > Brady > Gerome > Noire > Cynthia > Kjelle > Laurant >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Yarne

Holy shit, I am so indifferent towards Laurent I forgot to put him and his mother in my list, hahaha.

I wouldn't use the word hate. More like Earth shattering disappointment.

So earth-shattering that you prefer a stab in the face than her, hahaha.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
I obviously don't agree with most of Gunloc's opinions, but I'm sure that he feels the same way about mine =P

Holy shit, I am so indifferent towards Laurent I forgot to put him and his mother in my list, hahaha.

They really just don't stand out at all. Not really likeable and nothing to really hate. They're kinda boring imo.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So, when the EU version gets released will this thread get bumped back to the main page or will there be a new OT?

Because I kind of want to make some sort of contest related to this game with 20 bucks e-shop voucher as a reward (though I am not sure whether this is something that people will value, hahaha) and I want it to be exposed to as many people as possible.

Still on the thinking phase about it though, not really sure whether in the end I decide to do it or not.

It's my feeling about all the children.
I used to like Lucina though, until I purchased the OST and artbook. She's a different person now :(

Hmmm? Different how?

Javier

Fuck Lunatic+. Not going to torture myself through that shit. Instead I'm doing a quick Hard run so I can marry (Upcoming SpotPass)
Aversa this Thursday

For me it's

2nd gens eh?

Yarne > Nah > Morgan(F) > Brady > Gerome > Owain > Laurent = Kjelle = Noire > Lucina = Cynthia > Morgan(M) > Being stabbed in the face > Severa

Well at least one person shows respect for my fluffy current son.

Tom_Cody

So I finally finished reading through that great interview with the FE staff by 8-4. This is the Iwata Asks we all wanted.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=533568

One thing stood out that I haven't seen really discussed. Kusakihara says:

Kusakihara said:
One thing you'll find is that in giving your troops new classes, you'll often find a surprising character/class combination that actually winds up working really well. Try looking for things like that -- classes that make characters look really cool and stuff. (laughs)

What say you thread? Any thoughts on which charcter/class combinations have the best 3D models. I remember being surprised at how cool Dollen looks as a Hero but I haven'r really had the same thought regarding other characters.

Javier

Fun fact: The Birthdays of the children (sans Morgan) are the original Japanese release dates of the previous games in the series.

Severa: January 21, 1994 (Mystery of the Emblem)
Brady: February 22, 2007 (Radiant Dawn)
Yarne: March 14, 1992 (Gaiden)
Nah: March 29, 2002 (Binding Blade)
Lucina: April 20, 1990 (Dark Dragon & Sword of Light) and 2005 (Path of Radiance)
Laurent: April 25, 2003 (Blazing Sword a.k.a. Fire Emblem in the west)
Cynthia: May 14, 1996 (Genealogy of the Holy War)
Owain: July 15, 2010 (New Mystery of the Emblem)
Inigo: August 7, 2008 (Shadow Dragon)
Gerome: September 1, 1999 (Thracia 776)
Kjelle: September 29, 1997 (BS Fire Emblem: Akaneia Senki)
Noire: October 7, 2004 (Sacred Stones)

TWILT

Banned
Lucina > Morgan (F) > Inigo = Gerome > Owain > Cynthia > Brady > Morgan (M) > Severa > Nah > Noire = Yarne = Laurent >>> Kjelle

I actually like all the kids barring Kjelle (who to be fair, is mostly because I don't use her at all).
What say you thread? Any thoughts on which charcter/class combinations have the best 3D models. I remember being surprised at how cool Dollen looks as a Hero but I haven'r really had the same thought regarding other characters.

The Dread Masters are my favorites I think. Swordmasters, and Lucina in her Lord classes look nice too.

Soulhouf

Fun fact: The Birthdays of the children (sans Morgan) are the original Japanese release dates of the previous games in the series.

Severa: January 21, 1994 (Mystery of the Emblem)
Brady: February 22, 2007 (Radiant Dawn)
Yarne: March 14, 1992 (Gaiden)
Nah: March 29, 2002 (Binding Blade)
Lucina: April 20, 1990 (Dark Dragon & Sword of Light) and 2005 (Path of Radiance)
Laurent: April 25, 2003 (Blazing Sword a.k.a. Fire Emblem in the west)
Cynthia: May 14, 1996 (Genealogy of the Holy War)
Owain: July 15, 2010 (New Mystery of the Emblem)
Inigo: August 7, 2008 (Shadow Dragon)
Gerome: September 1, 1999 (Thracia 776)
Kjelle: September 29, 1997 (BS Fire Emblem: Akaneia Senki)
Noire: October 7, 2004 (Sacred Stones)

Nice :O
That gives me some ideas how to pair the kids :D

Fireblend

Banned
So I got the game a few days ago and although I've been enjoying it enormously, I still have some questions:

• I feel like I'm going too quickly through the game. I'm on chapter 9 after 5 hours. Is this ok, should I slow down? It's a great game and I want it to last.
  • I know the challenges and the paralogues that appear from time to time, but is there any more non-story material I can play? What do I do if I want to play but not advance through the story if there's no challenge activated at the time? I see all of you pouring hours upon hours into the game. Is it because you play through it multiple times? Is there post-game content? I just feel like I'm going to fast and I haven't even touched the marriage system, changing classes, etc...
  • The bonus box thing is a mistery to me. I got some free items, and it seems like I can summon "teams" to the map? And missions? No idea what's going on there.
  • Why is the manual a fold-out pamphlet?

Moonlight

Banned
So I got the game a few days ago and although I've been enjoying it enormously, I still have some questions:

• I feel like I'm going too quickly through the game. I'm on chapter 9 after 5 hours. Is this ok, should I slow down? It's a great game and I want it to last.
  • I know the challenges and the paralogues that appear from time to time, but is there any more non-story material I can play? What do I do if I want to play but not advance through the story if there's no challenge activated at the time? I see all of you pouring hours upon hours into the game. Is it because you play through it multiple times? Is there post-game content? I just feel like I'm going to fast and I haven't even touched the marriage system, changing classes, etc...
  • The bonus box thing is a mistery to me. I got some free items, and it seems like I can summon "teams" to the map? And missions? No idea what's going on there.
To answer a few of your questions:

• You're going at a fairly reasonable clip, but Awakening has a ton of Paralogues that the game will never really tell you about. Make sure that you've married off (and by this I mean S-Ranking a support) all the women - and yourself - before or once you hit Chapter 12. You'll more or less understand why.
  • There's a lot more non-story material that you can play and it relates mostly back to marrying the women. That all said, you can buy Reeking Boxes from the shops that will summon Risen onto the world map that you can then fight to get in some extra levels, build weapon proficiencies, or skills. If you're on Hard and they become cost prohibitive, you can summon a team via the Bonus Box and fight them.
  • Speaking of, the Bonus Box is part of the game's Wireless functionality. Basically Nintendo sends out free DLC every now and again, and it comes via the Bonus Box. They send out free legendary weapons on the occasion, and also use it to release "teams" sourced from previous Fire Emblem games that you can summon to the World Map much like how you can summon Risen. You can then choose to fight with them (and recruit their party leader), pay them a requisite amount of gold to recruit them straight out, or buy items from them. The missions are Paralogues that will only become relevant until the endgame, so don't worry about that for now.
  • Because it's cheaper.

Javier

1.- That's pretty par for the course, I think. Play at a pace you feel comfortable with. There's no right or wrong way to do so.

2.- You can summon SpotPass teams from the Bonus Box infinitely. These don't add anything to the story, as they're mainly to grind EXP and Supports. You can also buy the DLC, which have extra dialogue and you can play every map as many times as you want. If you want to unlock every map and character, you're probably going to spend a good time building Supports in order to get all the girls married, so don't worry too much.

3.- As stated earlier, you can summon SpotPass teams on the field to grind EXP and Supports. There are also a few extra maps and items released on a weekly basis (every Thursday). The Bonus Challengers are maps made for Local Multiplayer (mode is called "Double Duel"), but I haven't tried it out yet.

4.- Nintendo has been doing this since Ocarina of Time 3D. The full manual is digital now.

Personally I think a taguel Morgan is too damn adorable.

• You're going at a fairly reasonable clip, but Awakening has a ton of Paralogues that the game will never really tell you about. Make sure that you've married off (and by this I mean S-Ranking a support) all the women - and yourself - before or once you hit Chapter 12. You'll more or less understand why.

To elaborate, you don't NEED to have everyone married by then, but it won't have an effect before that point.

Fireblend

Banned

1.- That's pretty par for the course, I think. Play at a pace you feel comfortable with. There's no right or wrong way to do so.

Well that makes me feel better in regards to the length. Although from your responses it seems like I should focus on developing support ranks because none of my characters have gotten to rank S so far. Same with the class-change system, I guess (I did read it's better to hit the level cap before using a master seal though)? Also I'll start buying Reeking Boxes and summoning the bonus teams.

Thanks!

Kids ranking you say?

Owain > Morgan (M) > Gerome > Nah > Noire > Yarne > Cynthia > Inigo > Laurent > Lucina > Brady > Severa >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kjelle

Javier

Also, kids ratings.

Severa > Noire = Cynthia = Nah > Morgan > Lucina = Inigo = Owain > Brady > Gerome > Kjelle > Yarne > Laurent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom