• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohlawd

My Olivia classed as a Waifu (no sparkles *sadface*) has...

Galeforce
Lancefaire
Astra
Lethality
.... Pass >_>

Pass will get the boot when Limit Break comes.

vctor182

I've had a couple of turns in the Rogues DLC where some of my guys couldn't finish off an enemy in one turn or I needed a specific unit to avoid a Weaponbreaker skill, to heal, or to plug a wall. It's not completely useless, especially for a team like mine which is really sword/spear heavy and lacking axes/bows.
What I do in those cases is send a unit to weaken it then send a unit with Galeforce paired with a sage or pegasus so after i finish the enemy i withdraw, switch and rescue the other unit. Olivia draws too much attention as a dancer

Have you read HenryXNowi? The S rank conv is so weird, like "Hey I heard you are alone all the time, so Why don't we get married and have lot of manakete kids that you can play with for hundreds of years?" or something like that.

It's as romantic as Henry will ever get!

What's the point of having a dancer when your team has Galeforce?

So you can have those that don't have Galeforce move again.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
They automatically marry.

Thanks! I'm getting used to the pairing system in general. It just feels a little weird at first since only the point character gains XP?

Isn't permadeath in like every strategy-RPG? Final Fantasy Tactics has it. Valkyria Chronicles has it. XCOM has it. Not sure if Disgaea and Phantom Brave have it since I haven't played either of those in a while. The only difference is it's instantaneous here, whereas others give you a short window to revive.

But that instantaneous death makes a huge difference.

That's one less chance to save your character, which means that it's more thought put into every move. Actually, unlimited chances really, since you can also revive as much as you'd like. In a game like FFT, you could also just bumrush the enemy and beat the stage before the timer ran out and your downed party members would revive... so if you just decided to go all out, you'd make it out unscathed.

Chrom

Thanks! I'm getting used to the pairing system in general. It just feels a little weird at first since only the point character gains XP?

If the other character deals out damage to the enemy, they can also gain experience. Just not as much as if they were the main unit.

Bladenic

Bought this today, played a good bit thus far. First FE game. Are there missable things I should know about?

Also who is generally worth leveling? I heard Sumia and Donnel get good but they suck horribly right now.

Also, on Paralogue 2, I didn't get a unit to the village before an enemy got there. Did I miss something good?

Bought this today, played a good bit thus far. First FE game. Are there missable things I should know about?

Also who is generally worth leveling? I heard Sumia and Donnel get good but they suck horribly right now.

Also, on Paralogue 2, I didn't get a unit to the village before an enemy got there. Did I miss something good?

Just a Physics staff that you could find easily later on. Not game-killing if you don't save the village.

Shaanyboi

Banned
So I'm at about Chapter 10 and doing some side mission stuff. Is it bad that most of my characters are only paired with one character and pretty much are at nothing with everyone else? Also, there are definitely some characters I've been ignoring (Stahl... Ricken...) Should I bother bringing them up or can I just leave them? Miriel/Tharja have been doing fine for magic.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So I'm at about Chapter 10 and doing some side mission stuff. Is it bad that most of my characters are only paired with one character and pretty much are at nothing with everyone else? Also, there are definitely some characters I've been ignoring (Stahl... Ricken...) Should I bother bringing them up or can I just leave them? Miriel/Tharja have been doing fine for magic.

If you don't have DLC maps or don't intend to abuse them, leaving out characters is fine. In fact, sticking with a core group is a much better choice for the long run instead of trying to spread it even across all characters, especially if you don't intend to grind.

Just focus consistently on a core group, raise their support, ignore anyone else you don't want to bother with, and you should be fine.

Bladenic

So should I wait to use Master Seal or use it when I can? Chrom and Avatar are ready with a few others closing in on level 10. Or should I look up skill charts and see if there's anything worth waiting for? Any other benefits to waiting?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So should I wait to use Master Seal or use it when I can? Chrom and Avatar are ready with a few others closing in on level 10. Or should I look up skill charts and see if there's anything worth waiting for? Any other benefits to waiting?

If it's the 1st time, meaning that you have never use a Master Seal before, just level up your characters in their basic class up to 20 before master-classing them to maximize their stat gains. For Villager, people usually stop at 10 or 15, for Manakete and Taguel just stop until they get their 2nd skill (Villager, Manakete, and Taguel can jump to promoted class when using master class only at level 30, but this is a waste so it's recommended to just change them to a basic class way before that if you want to maximize skill gains.)

Because no matter if you master-classing them from level 10, 15, or 20, the game treat the promoted unit afterwards as level 21 for exp gains consideration.

After all that just change people's class after they get their skills if you decide to accrue them (promoted units at level 5/15 and basic class at level 1/10. DLC class at level 1/15) It's better not just do this as you please though: come up with a plan for which skills you want and what class that would be the end-class for your characters so you can maximize exp gains before they're start capping, which will make level and skill gathering much longer and tedious to perform.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
gotta hit every demographic...

Bah; I don't think 'that demographic' will actually moan when they get adult, Tiki-like Nowi anyways.

Anyways, on a related note, looking at your avatar, I swear I am gonna shoot a bazooka towards NOA if they do not release the bonds DLCs.

The best pairing is Virion with Nowi. The two creeps belong to each other.

I have no idea what they were thinking with Nowi. I mean, why don't make her like Tiki? It seriously baffles me.
The best/worst part about Nowi is that her support convos are (generally) some of the better ones in the game.

Combine that with awesome hair and a godly special class, and it just wouldn't have been fair to all the other waifus if she had :chet on top of it all. Hence Tiki having minimal supports and a killer rack.

Gestahl

^^^She spends almost the entire convo with Gaius trying to gauge whether he's DTF.

gotta hit every demographic...

It seems like a lot of the female characters were built on preexisting anime/dating sim archetypes for easy marketability. The tomboy, spergy book girl, klutz, yandere, tsundere (why do I know these words), the NTR'd by Chrom's disinterested and unwilling member, furry, pedobait, snooty high society girl, the maid, etc.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Meanwhile, I imagine this screenshot as Kincaido peeping out with a telescope from afar, hahaha:

tiamo_t.jpg

Cause then people would complain that they basically copied Tiki.

And the only questionable part of Nowi is her outfit, which yo almost never see anyway.

The best/worst part about Nowi is that her support convos are (generally) some of the better ones in the game.

Combine that with awesome hair and a godly special class, and it just wouldn't have been fair to all the other waifus if she had :chet on top of it all. Hence Tiki having minimal supports and a killer rack.

I like most of her supports actually, quite entertaining overall.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It seems like a lot of the female characters were built on preexisting anime/dating sim archetypes for easy marketability. The tomboy, spergy book girl, klutz, yandere, tsundere (why do I know these words), the NTR'd by Chrom's disinterested and unwilling member, furry, pedobait, snooty high society girl, the maid, etc.

Tomboy = Sully.
Spergy Book Girl = Miriel.
Klutz = Sumia.
Yandere = Tharja? But she's not actually really Yandere, methinks.
Tsundere = Severa.
NTRed = Who... Cordelia? Her scenario is not NTR...
Furry = Panne
Pedobait = Nowi.
Snooty girl = Miriel.
The maid = Who is this...... Lissa?

Hey, that means Lucina is safe! <3

Chrom

Tomboy = Sully.
Spergy Book Girl = Miriel.
Klutz = Sumia.
Yandere = Tharja? But she's not actually really Yandere, methinks.
Tsundere = Severa.
NTRed = Who... Cordelia? Her scenario is not NTR...
Furry = Panne
Pedobait = Nowi.
Snooty girl = Miriel.
The maid = Who is this...... Lissa?

Hey, that means Lucina is safe! <3

I'd say Maribelle is more exemplary of snooty than Miriel. Cherche is the maid like character, I suppose.

Bladenic

OMG wtf I had no idea you could miss recruiting characters. I already missed Kellam and Gaius (who seems to be very popular). FUCK.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
OMG wtf I had no idea you could miss recruiting characters. I already missed Kellam and Gaius (who seems to be very popular). FUCK.

.....How the in whole bloody world can you possibly miss Kellam?

I mean, he's right there, so big on the map, not attacking you, and the first time you move the cursor towards Chrom the word TALK in all of its shining colors appears above him.

backlot

I mean, he's right there, so big on the map, not attacking you, and the first time you move the cursor towards Chrom the word TALK in all of its shining colors appears above him.

After a few turns if you don't recruit him he even says something like "I wish Chrom would talk to me."

Gvaz

Banned
After a few turns if you don't recruit him he even says something like "I wish Chrom would talk to me."

No he just says "hrm, people are ignoring me" or something.

I didn't even realize you could use chrom to talk to people until chapter 6 when I accidentally killed Gaius and heard the FAIL CHARACTER DEATH song play and he complained about dying. Then I looked it up and went WHAT.

Bladenic

No idea, I wasn't much paying attention to him. I'm more pissed about Gaius, since I don't think there's a single other character who joins as a Thief (unless I missed while skimming). Shit. Guess I'll have to do another playthrough now after I finish this one (maybe).

backlot

I didn't even realize you could use chrom to talk to people until chapter 6 when I accidentally killed Gaius and heard the FAIL CHARACTER DEATH song play and he complained about dying. Then I looked it up and went WHAT.

I'm pretty sure it's something like "Why won't Chrom talk to me? Can he even see me?" It was definitely a hint.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
No idea, I wasn't much paying attention to him. I'm more pissed about Gaius, since I don't think there's a single other character who joins as a Thief (unless I missed while skimming). Shit. Guess I'll have to do another playthrough now after I finish this one (maybe).

Well, you have other characters that can actually serve as a much better thief than Gaius, like Kellam........ oh whoooooooooops.

Anna can do it too, but she can only support two people. Oh, and Gaius can pass on Pegasus Knights to a daughter (the only one besides Avatar and Donnel), which in turn can promote to Dark Flier, which in turn can allow another female character to learn Galeforce, arguably the best non-DLC skill in the game :p

Is this game your first Fire Emblem game, both of you? I mean, the Talk to recruit mechanic has been everywhere on past games so I am surprised to see both of you surprised about it.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
If it makes you feel better, I never used Kellam =P

Shame on you for missing Gaius though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom