• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrono01

So I'll [finally] be starting this game today, and have decided on who my Male MU will marry [Tharja/Sariya]. Since she supposedly has a great magic stat, I was thinking of making my Asset/Flaw for my MU as +MAG/-LCK. I figured, when paired with Tharja, I might as well make myself as badass a caster/magic user as I can, and -LCK doesn't decrease my RES/DEF any and only has a -1 STR/MAG flaw. It was either that or +MAG/-RES, but I didn't want to decrease my SPD and RES. -_-

Other than that, I'm not sure who my pairings will be. I know I'll choose Chrom to marry Sumia, but as for the rest I have no clue. I'll probably pair up Donnel + Nowi and Gaius + Sully [for Lightning Speed], but I haven't fully decided.

This is my first Fire Emblem game, so I'm really not sure how the whole classes/marriage/children systems work. It should be fun to learn, though!

Koodo

Banned
Did everyone get the same special unit from the bonus Fire Emblem team?

I got Nino (who?), but he's overleveled compared to my units and I don't have enough funds to recruit him or buy his weapons. I ain't summoning him on the map for a while.

chrono01

How does choosing RES as a weakness effect your Avatar? This is magical resistance, right? How many points of stat decrease is this?

Here's a full list:

ASSET:
HP: Str +1, Mag +1, Lck +2, Def +2, Res +2
STR: Str +4, Skl +2, Def +2
MAG: Mag +4, Spd +2, Res +2
SKL: Str +2, Skl +4, Def +2
SPD: Skl +2, Spd +4, Lck +2
LCK: Str +2, Mag +2, Lck +4
DEF: Lck +2, Def +4, Res +2
RES: Mag +2, Spd +2, Res +4

FLAW:
HP: Str -1, Mag -1, Lck -1, Def -1, Res -1
STR: Str -3, Skl -1, Def -1
MAG: Mag -3, Spd -1, Res -1
SKL: Str -1, Skl -3, Def -1
SPD: Skl -1, Spd -3, Lck -1
LCK: Str -1, Mag -1, Lck -3
DEF: Lck -1, Def -3, Res -1
RES: Mag -1, Spd -1, Res -3

I'm still trying to decide which to pair up with +MAG [for my MU]. I'm trying to think of the children as well, and considering the base stats of the MU, I don't really want to impact his Strength unnecessarily [so he can be more versatile]. But then, going all out on a Magic build would be fun, so now I'm kind of thinking I should do +MAG/-STR.

Bleh! I'll give it some more thought.

Chrom

I got Nino (who?), but he's overleveled compared to my units and I don't have enough funds to recruit him or buy his weapons. I ain't summoning him on the map for a while.

Nino is a girl from Fire Emblem 7.

Socreges

Banned
Here's a full list:

ASSET:

FLAW:

I'm still trying to decide which to pair up with +MAG [for my MU]. I'm trying to think of the children as well, and considering the base stats of the MU, I don't really want to impact his Strength unnecessarily [so he can be more versatile]. But then, going all out on a Magic build would be fun, so now I'm kind of thinking I should do +MAG/-STR.

Heh, that's much more complex than I'd thought.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Here's a full list:

ASSET:

FLAW:

This is just for stat caps, not base stats.

For base stats, choosing any stat other than HP or Luck as your Asset increases it by 2, and choosing it as your Flaw decreases it by 1.

For HP, choosing it as your Asset increases it by 5, and choosing it as your Flaw decreases it by 3.

For Luck, choosing it as your Asset increases it by 4, and choosing it as your Flaw decreases it by 2.

chrono01

This is just for stat caps, not base stats.

For base stats, choosing any stat other than HP or Luck as your Asset increases it by 2, and choosing it as your Flaw decreases it by 1.

For HP, choosing it as your Asset increases it by 5, and choosing it as your Flaw decreases it by 3.

For Luck, choosing it as your Asset increases it by 4, and choosing it as your Flaw decreases it by 2.

Thanks for the clarification! Good to know.

Looks like I'll choose +LCK & -MAG. My Avatar will primarily be a melee attacker and only use tomes to attack enemies while going for my S-rank with Sully.

All this talk about the free DLC being a very limited time, 2/6 some people saying, is making me worried since I bought it off amazon. I really hope I don't miss out on it because of shipping delays.

vag 2.0

Semi off-topic, what is the best FE to get into the series with while waiting for the PAL release of Awakening? I have a ton of experience with SRPGs but somehow totally slept on this series. There's a DS remake of the original NES game, right? Seems the logical starting point...

Chrom

@OP:

I figure you're going to edit the OT with it anyway but I noticed in the DLC that Star Lord is called Lodestar now.

Semi off-topic, what is the best FE to get into the series with while waiting for the PAL release of Awakening? I have a ton of experience with SRPGs but somehow totally slept on this series. There's a DS remake of the original NES game, right? Seems the logical starting point...

The DS one is pretty weak in terms of story and how it looks.

Fire Emblem:Scared Stones for the GBA is a good entry point or Fire Emblem for the GBA as well.

Chrom

GBA_Fire_Emblem_Box.jpg

Javier

For those playing the DLC map, there are a few hidden conversations you may come across. For example, try attacking
Lilina
with
Miriel.

NeonZ

Nino is a girl. She's a magical prodigy from Fire Emblem (7)- the first localized game. Don't know how Awakening handles her growth rates, but her growth originally was just crazy, although she joined underleveled during late game, so, using her was rather risky for a while.

So I need to ask a question.

I know the "right" way to play is with permadeath, however every review I read, says that the reviewer at least once, restarted that chapter to save a character.

My question to people playing is:

Why even bother turning on permadeath if the temptation, and likelihood, is to restart a chapter anyway if you lose a character?

Basically, why even bother with permadeath, does it add anything, especially if I can just restart a level, if that option was blocked, a la Dark Souls, where it saves as soon as you die, I can see the reasoning there.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Also this will be my first FE game, but I love portable strategy games.

Chrom

I know the "right" way to play is with permadeath, however every review I read, says that the reviewer at least once, restarted that chapter to save a character.

Why even bother turning on permadeath if the temptation, and likelihood, is to restart a chapter anyway if you lose a character?

Basically, why even bother with permadeath, does it add anything, especially if I can just restart a level, if that option was blocked, a la Dark Souls, where it saves as soon as you die, I can see the reasoning there.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Also this will be my first FE game, but I love portable strategy games.

Given that all but one other game in the series even had a Casual Mode in the first place, playing on a Classic setting and restarting upon a death feels so instinctive to many players that it just feels right to them to continue playing that way. At least, that's what I think.

NeonZ

I know the "right" way to play is with permadeath, however every review I read, says that the reviewer at least once, restarted that chapter to save a character. My question to people playing is:

Why even bother turning on permadeath if the temptation, and likelihood, is to restart a chapter anyway if you lose a character? Basically, why even bother with permadeath, does it add anything, especially if I can just restart a level, if that option was blocked, a la Dark Souls, where it saves as soon as you die, I can see the reasoning there.

The issue is the type of strategy that's mostly blocked with perma death.

Without perma-death, you can win by sacrificing your army, using units as decoys or walls and not suffer any penalty due to losing them with that type of strategy. With perma-death, that kind of strategy is completely blocked. Even if you reset after losing units, battles of attrition and "sacrifices" suddenly aren't viable strategies. It just makes the game much more tense, since you'll be going for "perfect victories" every time.

Also, if you play without reseting, those types of strategy, although possible, would have heavy consequence due to the permanent unit loss.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins

Think of it as introducing an extra lose condition: any unit dying. This will force you to play differently, like already mentioned. Of course, you can also play it ironman, and let your units die.

Akuosa

The issue is the type of strategy that's mostly blocked with perma death.

Without perma-death, you can win by sacrificing your army, using units as decoys or walls and not suffer any penalty due to losing them with that type of strategy. With perma-death, that kind of strategy is completely blocked. Even if you reset after losing units, battles of attrition and "sacrifices" suddenly aren't viable strategies. It just makes the game much more tense, since you'll be going for "perfect victories" every time.
Basically, this. People aren't (mostly) enabling perma-death to see, let's say, how the story unfolds and who lives and dies in their games, but to force themselves to win without losing anybody. Restarting when somebody dies is not a temptation, it's what you are going to do every time that happens, because ironically you're playing whith permadeath so nobody dies... it can sound weird, I know.

Thanks for the answers, so basically, it just forces the player to play differently, knowing that I cant win, just by sacrificing units, unless of course I bring units into battle for a tough fight just to win it and have them be my sheep, I suppose.

I guess I get the point, it'd be nice though, like Ironman, if you get forced into permadeath, immediately after a death.

Guess I'll give it a shot on permadeath mode when I get it Monday. Actually I've never ever been this excited for a strategy game, usually I get them when they are really cheap or something, but this game, even the demo was a blast.

Thanks again all and if anyone has any other opinions, please share, I'm just curious to see what others think.

Anteo

Thanks for the answers, so basically, it just forces the player to play differently, knowing that I cant win, just by sacrificing units, unless of course I bring units into battle for a tough fight just to win it and have them be my sheep, I suppose.

I guess I get the point, it'd be nice though, like Ironman, if you get forced into permadeath, immediately after a death.

Guess I'll give it a shot on permadeath mode when I get it Monday. Actually I've never ever been this excited for a strategy game, usually I get them when they are really cheap or something, but this game, even the demo was a blast.

Thanks again all and if anyone has any other opinions, please share, I'm just curious to see what others think.

While I do try to go for a perfect victory, sometimes I'm willing to sacrifice a character knowing I'll have to play the rest of the game without him/her. Specially if is a character that I don't care about or I'm just like "fuck this shit, I'm not redoing this stage."

Ainaurdur

I have discovered I cannot decide on one waifu for a Male Avatar.

But I know exactly which guy I would pick for a Female Avatar. XD
Lon'qu

I know it's been mentioned millions of times already, but I can't find it on the thread right now for some reason, how big is the game if you download it?

Path of Radiance for Gamecube or Fire Emblem (that's the NA name) for GBA.

Don't play the DS remake. Every single other localized Fire Emblem is better.

I don't reset when I lose a character. Some people do reset, but only for their favorite characters. And others reset no matter what. Either way, it drastically raises the stakes and the drama of each battle. It's a much more tense, interesting game when permadeath forces you to all the tactics at your disposal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom