• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsmith

remember me
There's no way Nintendo will let Udon localize the art book is there? Tempted to grab the Japanese one. 320 pages, about $60 shipped.

Hieberrr

I think so. If you already have a 3DS, you can download a free demo and try for yourself.
I tried the demo and liked it, but I'm a little worried that it'll get too time consuming.

If you like Advance Wars, then yes, absolutely buy it. You're half way towards understanding how everything works, since much of the mechanics are handled similarly. You might as well jump in.

I first played Advance Wars before Fire Emblem. I originally stayed away from FE because I don't like RPGs, but now I like the gameplay in Fire Emblem even better than AW. The game can be time-consuming, but it's addictive as hell.
I'm only really free once a week due to university, work, and all of that :S

There's no way Nintendo will let Udon localize the art book is there? Tempted to grab the Japanese one. 320 pages, about $60 shipped.

No idea. There's no precedent that Udon has localized Nintendo artbooks in the past, but they usually go through waves of different companies stuff lately so who knows of in the future.

We know that Champions of Yore 1 will be $2.50 after it's no longer free, and since the Japanese prices were all pretty similar to each other, I'd expect the price range to be like $2-4. I'd be surprised if anything cost more than $5.

So the next DLC won't be available until March? That's sad.

Socreges

Banned
Bwahahaha! I just discovered the Hubba tester myself. So good.

mvLeukf.jpg
So for anyone that uses the support system properly and builds up relationships so they get as many bonuses as possible, their squad is going to be full of male and female bisexuals (according to the 'Hubba tester'), no? Since the multiple people that you build up A (?) supports with will give you those responses.

This isn't me being homophobic. I think that's objectively silly

johnsmith

remember me
No idea. There's no precedent that Udon has localized Nintendo artbooks in the past, but they usually go through waves of different companies stuff lately so who knows of in the future.

I guess Dark Horse would probably make more sense since they did Hyrule Historia. Hmmm, maybe I'll pass and hope it gets localized.

So for anyone that uses the support system properly and builds up relationships so they get as many bonuses as possible, their squad is going to be full of male and female bisexuals (according to the 'Hubba tester'), no? Since the multiple people that you build up A (?) supports with will give you those responses.

The Hubba tester doesn't actually mean anything. It's just there for kicks. And I've heard people theorize that every single Fire Emblem character is bisexual even before this game came out, so it's not that far-fetched.

Lusankya

Here's a full list:

ASSET:
HP: Str +1, Mag +1, Lck +2, Def +2, Res +2
STR: Str +4, Skl +2, Def +2
MAG: Mag +4, Spd +2, Res +2
SKL: Str +2, Skl +4, Def +2
SPD: Skl +2, Spd +4, Lck +2
LCK: Str +2, Mag +2, Lck +4
DEF: Lck +2, Def +4, Res +2
RES: Mag +2, Spd +2, Res +4

FLAW:
HP: Str -1, Mag -1, Lck -1, Def -1, Res -1
STR: Str -3, Skl -1, Def -1
MAG: Mag -3, Spd -1, Res -1
SKL: Str -1, Skl -3, Def -1
SPD: Skl -1, Spd -3, Lck -1
LCK: Str -1, Mag -1, Lck -3
DEF: Lck -1, Def -3, Res -1
RES: Mag -1, Spd -1, Res -3

I'm still trying to decide which to pair up with +MAG [for my MU]. I'm trying to think of the children as well, and considering the base stats of the MU, I don't really want to impact his Strength unnecessarily [so he can be more versatile]. But then, going all out on a Magic build would be fun, so now I'm kind of thinking I should do +MAG/-STR.

Bleh! I'll give it some more thought.

It also influences growth rates and starting stats (your values are for the caps)

http://serenesforest.net/fe13/char_growth.html
http://serenesforest.net/fe13/char_base.html#myunit

The Hubba tester spits out literal nonsense, apparently; like even characters who don't actually have any affection points can end up with dual-triplehearts, or S-rank characters can end up looking cold. It's really an elongated joke on the first thing Gunpei Yokoi made for Nintendo.

The Hubba tester spits out literal nonsense, apparently; like even characters who don't actually have any affection points can end up with dual-triplehearts, or S-rank characters can end up looking cold. It's really an elongated joke on the first thing Gunpei Yokoi made for Nintendo.
Ohhhh, somehow I never connected those two in my head.

Which reminds me, FE: Genealogy of the Holy War, which was directed by Gunpei Yokoi, also had a fortune-teller system, but that one actually was tied to the game and more serious.

Prax

Ohhhh, somehow I never connected those two in my head.

Which reminds me, FE: Genealogy of the Holy War, which was directed by Gunpei Yokoi, also had a fortune-teller system, but that one actually was tied to the game and more serious.

Yeah, I think the Genealogy of the Holy War one hinted at "predestined" couples (which more or less was the easier-to-get story canon pairs).
I haven't looked it up, but how does Awakening's support/points system work? Does everyone start at 0? Do they all go up at the same rate? Or is there also a predestines bias?

Chrom

Yeah, I think the Genealogy of the Holy War one hinted at "predestined" couples (which more or less was the easier-to-get story canon pairs).
I haven't looked it up, but how does Awakening's support/points system work? Does everyone start at 0? Do they all go up at the same rate? Or is there also a predestines bias?

I think everything is completely neutral unlike how supports worked in other games. Never heard otherwise, at least.

I think everything is completely neutral unlike how supports worked in other games. Never heard otherwise, at least.

Yeah, pretty sure everything is natural. The only thing counter to that is
Sumia/Chrom, which is automatic if Chrom has no ranks with any other female when it's time for the auto marriage/time-skip, but they still start at neutral

Chrom

For those who have the game, are there enough new mechanics to make it worth going through the tutorial? Or would you recommend people who played the localized entries so far just jump right in?

Just refer to the tutorial if you're unfamiliar with a new mechanic. You can go through it however you like, or not at all.

Roto13

How often do the generic battles on the world map respawn?

I just killed a thief in a story mission I'm pretty sure I could have recruited. I guess he's gone for good. :p

Chapter 6 help please (story spoiler head);
I played through the Assassination attack and there was a thief who seemed recruitable. He attacked and died due to counter attack. I reset, but how do you recruit him?

Chrom

How often do the generic battles on the world map respawn?

I just killed a thief in a story mission I'm pretty sure I could have recruited. I guess he's gone for good. :p

Pretty frequently, I think. They never stop showing up, I know that for sure.

Chapter 6 help please (story spoiler head);
I played through the Assassination attack and there was a thief who seemed recruitable. He attacked and died due to counter attack. I reset, but how do you recruit him?

Talk to him with Chrom.

Since I'm still going through Radiant Dawn as well as Awakening, I'm only at Chapter 5 right now. Grabbed the free DLC and got met first streetpass team. Also had my first random skirmish. I will need to pick up the spotpass team today.

Joule

Chrom is to far to get to him before he attacks. Maybe I won't move Chrom.

What I did was just have Chrom pair up with Frederick, move Frederick close enough then switch back to Chrom. Only the the axe brigand was in range to attack me and on the next turn you're closes enough to talk with Gaius.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Best buy website over here says that it's available for pick up. Gonna try and grab a copy during lunch.

Since I'm still going through Radiant Dawn as well as Awakening, I'm only at Chapter 5 right now. Grabbed the free DLC and got met first streetpass team. Also had my first random skirmish. I will need to pick up the spotpass team today.

Spot pass team?

In wireless section I got two "Bonus Challengers". What ate these and how do I access them?

Spot pass team?

In wireless section I got two "Bonus Challengers". What ate these and how do I access them?

When I mentioned spotpass I was talking about the wireless section and the "Bonus Challengers". Once you have download the data in the wireless, I think they appear on the world map. I haven't gotten them yet so I can't be sure.

Artemisia

Banned
Best buy website over here says that it's available for pick up. Gonna try and grab a copy during lunch.

Did you get that info from your phone?

I noticed the mobile site always says its available for pickup, but when you go to the desktop site, it changes back to preorder.

Chrom

You access them through the local multiplayer mode. I don't know if they retained the name for the American release but it's known as Dual Tag. They serve as additional challenges for you and another player to take on.

timnich

I didn't realize I was this horrible at Fire Emblem. I've played every other American release and never ran into this issue before, but I find Normal mode waaaay too easy (seems like baby mode to me) while Hard is too much for me to handle. 5 chapters in and I am constantly getting wiped out.

Maybe I need to learn some better strategies? I am trying not to rush too much but I feel if I move one character forward they get swarmed by enemies in the next turn. It's also impossible to level up newer characters.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I didn't realize I was this horrible at Fire Emblem. I've played every other American release and never ran into this issue before, but I find Normal mode waaaay too easy (seems like baby mode to me) while Hard is too much for me to handle. 5 chapters in and I am constantly getting wiped out.

Maybe I need to learn some better strategies? I am trying not to rush too much but I feel if I move one character forward they get swarmed by enemies in the next turn. It's also impossible to level up newer characters.

Use some of the bulkier characters, or those with an advantage in the weapon triangle in range to draw one, or two enemies out. Don't forget to have a character next to them for support (or paired with them even) Then the rest of your team can swarm them. Always check enemies attack zones and plan around it. It's so critical to know how many enemies will be attacking each of your units, and if you can spread out the damage.. and keep enemies away from your squishy characters.. you'll do much better. For instance, on one of the early maps, I used my Peg. Knights to keep drawing out Wyverns, and clearing them out, as my team made its way on foot, up the path. My bulky cavaliers and would push up in front, to block enemies from reaching my archers and mage, who would then hit them from distance the next turn.

For new characters, especially like Donnel, either have them pick off really weakened enemies like archers that poise no threat, or pair him up with someone, where he will occasionally attack and his poor defenses won't be exposed. Try fighting some low level random Risen battles on the world map, which will probably be easier than trying to grind him up in a normal chapter.

Speaking of that, you can fight a few low level random Risen battles if you think you could use a few more levels. Just a level, or two can make all the difference between a hellish battle, and a breezy one.

Specific for Chapter 5 on Hard, I gave this advice earlier
I had Fredrick bottle neck the cliff, killing one unit during the first turn, while the Peg Knight and new Mage killed off a second unit. Or another ranged unit can come up behind Fredrick and finish one of them off if the others didn't. Thus only one unit to hit the Mage on the enemy turn and he'd be okay. You can use Rescue on your Cleric to pull one of the weaklings out of battle. Once you have the kids rescued and behind Fredrick, you should be okay. Regroup at the lower level and prepare for the riders / forts to spawn enemies. Archers and Wind magic will help a bunch. Try having a group on the right and a group on the left. You can lure single enemies to each group as they come down, giving you an easy time finishing them off. Don't push up to the second level until you've cleared out all the riders, including the boss, who will eventually move.

cjkeats

I streetpassed 3 people playing it yesterday, and got 2 teams. Still not sure how to fight them, I'm guessing in the wireless menu?

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Did you get that info from your phone?

I noticed the mobile site always says its available for pickup, but when you go to the desktop site, it changes back to preorder.

Yeah, I did. Thanks for the info, didn't know about that. Will still check it out since I need to go there anyways.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
This game makes me so nervous, and I haven't even picked it up.

I'm frightened of playing Classic, yet I also want to improve instead of going with Casual. I recently played a bit of Sacred Stones, and my whole team got wiped out in Chapter 4. Hopefully the more intuitive set-up I saw in the demo makes it easier for me to strategize. :/

Chrom

I streetpassed 3 people playing it yesterday, and got 2 teams. Still not sure how to fight them, I'm guessing in the wireless menu?

Do you see them on the world map? If so, you just go up to them and choose the fight command when you're in the tent.

You access them through the local multiplayer mode. I don't know if they retained the name for the American release but it's known as Dual Tag. They serve as additional challenges for you and another player to take on.

Local multi? But I have no friends with a 3DS. Boo.

Who's everyones favorite character? So far I like Frederick, Lon Qu avd Chrom. I may have a man crush on Chrom.

Hale-XF11

Just put some money into my eShop account in anticipation for this. It'll be my first FE game and my first digital retail game. Feeling brave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom