• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

zroid

Banned
My question to people playing is:

Why even bother turning on permadeath if the temptation, and likelihood, is to restart a chapter anyway if you lose a character?

Basically, why even bother with permadeath, does it add anything, especially if I can just restart a level, if that option was blocked, a la Dark Souls, where it saves as soon as you die, I can see the reasoning there.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Also this will be my first FE game, but I love portable strategy games.

It's definitely a misconception that restarting when a character dies in Classic mode is effectively the same as playing in Casual mode. The gameplay changes quite drastically when sacrificing units is a viable stratagem.

In theory you could play Casual and restart or avoid letting units die anyway, but the stakes are different, so just on a psychological level, it's very much a different ballgame.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I don't reset when I lose a character. Some people do reset, but only for their favorite characters. And others reset no matter what. Either way, it drastically raises the stakes and the drama of each battle. It's a much more tense, interesting game when permadeath forces you to all the tactics at your disposal.

Extra observation: my experience is that another reason you don't want to reset is when you'e had a great run on a map with several characters. When an unfortunate strategy takes out someone, you'd be sacrificing a lot of good progress to try and replay the map differently.

Generally, I only start a map over when I have made a true tactical mess of things and want to redo not just to save characters, but to learn the map better.

In a typical FE, I may only reset a map twice over the course of the game.

If you delete a save, does that delete the spotpass download? I don't want to lose Nino. I don't see anything in the system menu looking at add ons.

Extra observation: my experience is that another reason you don't want to reset is when you'e had a great run on a map with several characters. When an unfortunate strategy takes out someone, you'd be sacrificing a lot of good progress to try and replay the map differently.

Generally, I only start a map over when I have made a true tactical mess of things and want to redo not just to save characters, but to learn the map better.

In a typical FE, I may only reset a map twice over the course of the game.

Most recently, I did no resets in Shadow Dragon nor Radiant Dawn, but I did give in once during Path of Radiance. I remember making a really really stupid mistake with a Soren that I had been grooming to become quite a beast. He died because of an awful tactical error, and I had put so much work into him that I reset. I felt like a cheater, but I had to do it.

Chrom

If you delete a save, does that delete the spotpass download? I don't want to lose Nino. I don't see anything in the system menu looking at add ons.

Each save file has its own downloadable character "depository", if you will. Deleting the file would delete all of those characters in it.

However, after you beat the game, I believe you unlock
a game-wide compendium that lets you store your save files' characters into that, so that you can use them in others.

Each save file has its own downloadable character "depository", if you will. Deleting the file would delete all of those characters in it.

However, after you beat the game, I believe you unlock
a game-wide compendium that lets you store your save files' characters into that, so that you can use them in others.
Ah okay, I guess that makes sense. But what about characters you bought off the e-shop? Do those get deleted too? Can you redownload them for a new file?

How long does Nino or other characters stay on the map? Will she be there till you recruit her?

Ah okay, I guess that makes sense. But what about characters you bought off the e-shop? Do those get deleted too? Can you redownload them for a new file?

How long does Nino or other characters stay on the map? Will she be there till you recruit her?

DLC is seperate from the game, so deleting anything does not affect it.

Chrom

DLC characters are grouped together with the legacy SpotPass characters, as well as any Avatars you meet through StreetPass, so you would in fact lose those if you deleted the file. To clarify, you don't actually buy the DLC characters themselves, but rather the episodes in which said characters are the prizes upon beating. Even if you delete the file, the system still remembers that you purchased and downloaded the DLC, so there's no need to go through that hassle again if you want to replay the DLC on a new file.

I believe that, after summoned, the SpotPass characters remain on the map indefinitely until you get rid of them. Starting over in a new file still allows you to have the opportunity to net a character like Nino again as long as you summon his or her team from the Bonus Box. You start over from scratch, but everything's still accessible to you.

DLC characters are grouped together with the legacy SpotPass characters, as well as any Avatars you meet through StreetPass, so you would in fact lose those if you deleted the file. To clarify, you don't actually buy the DLC characters themselves, but rather the episodes in which said characters are the prizes upon beating. Even if you delete the file, the system still remembers that you purchased and downloaded the DLC, so there's no need to go through that hassle again if you want to replay the DLC on a new file.

I believe that, after summoned, the SpotPass characters remain on the map indefinitely until you get rid of them. Starting over in a new file still allows you to have the opportunity to net a character like Nino again as long as you summon his or her team from the Bonus Box. You start over from scratch, but everything's still accessible to you.
So the missions will be still be available in new files. So any spotpass downloaded people will just be in the bonus box for you resummon on a new file. That's totally fine. I was worried that since this game is going to have a lot of spot pass content, they would all be gone if you deleted a file that you activated spot pass on. Alright, thanks a lot.

Sora_N

chrom_fred_zps3a89ce28.jpg

Lol

Why is it actually called "Fire Emblem"?

Fire Emblems can be lots of things, like a magic shield with some colored spheres in it that opens chests and kill dragons, or an orb that has an ancient demon inside, or a medallion that has a goddess inside, or some royal... thing that grants you access to a cool sword. Usually they glow. Or are an emblem of some kind.

Chrom

every game has a unique macguffin in it called a "fire emblem"

Not all of them. There are games like Seisen no Keifu that briefly mention the Fire Emblem but it's not actually important to the story, and there are games like Thracia 776 and Gaiden that don't feature it at all (although the Fire Emblem itself exists within their respective universes).

Could just be me, but I think "Fire Emblem" could be seen as something that represents the games' commonality with each other, even if the Fire Emblem itself takes on a different role in each one.

vareon

Not all of them. There are games like Seisen no Keifu that briefly mention the Fire Emblem but it's not actually important to the story, and there are games like Thracia 776 and Gaiden that don't feature it at all (although the Fire Emblem itself exists within their respective universes).

Could just be me, but I think "Fire Emblem" could be seen as something that represents the games' commonality with each other, even if the Fire Emblem itself takes on a different role in each one.

And the fact that there's no need to change the name of the series each iteration. See: The Legend of Zelda.

Doorman

The series is called Fire Emblem because that's what the first game was called. Then they made a sequel and wanted people to know that it was a sequel with similar gameplay style.

...Do people really need to look it over much deeper than that? :p

Koodo

Banned
I made Sumia and Cordelia both Dark Fliers. Getting ready for that overpowered Galeforce spam. (°ロ°)☝

The series is called Fire Emblem because that's what the first game was called. Then they made a sequel and wanted people to know that it was a sequel with similar gameplay style.

Because it is always a thrill whenever they name drop the title during the games.

bonercop

I wonder if the US version fixes the(very easy) method of breaking the game? In the JP version, you can level a Mercenary up until they get the skill that allows them to restore weapon uses based on their skill stat, reclass them to a dark mage, get them a Nosferatu tome, and: voila. you are virtually unkillable.

I think that's pretty much exactly what the two post before yours are saying, though:{

I wonder if the US version fixes the(very easy) method of breaking the game? In the JP version, you can level a Myrmidon up until they get the skill that allows them to restore weapon uses based on their skill stat, reclass them to a dark mage, get them a Nosferatu tome, and: voila. you are virtually unkillable.

I actually don't see such a skill existing. The closest would be what Mercs start with, Armsthrift which based off your luck, allow you to sometime not reduce your uses when attacking with your weapon.

Besides that, there are many other factors that will effect how unkillable you are. Having low magic makes this moot, low speed means you could get doubled, low luck means your skill won't activate or you could get shot with an unlucky critical, low defense means you might be OHKO or take too much damage to recover.

Hieberrr

The only other games like this I've played are the games in the Advance Wars series; Will I like this and will I be able to play this? I find really deep systems to be hard and extremely time consuming.

Chrom

The only other games like this I've played are the games in the Advance Wars series; Will I like this and will I be able to play this? I find really deep systems to be hard and extremely time consuming.

I think so. If you already have a 3DS, you can download a free demo and try for yourself.

If you like Advance Wars, then yes, absolutely buy it. You're half way towards understanding how everything works, since much of the mechanics are handled similarly. You might as well jump in.

I first played Advance Wars before Fire Emblem. I originally stayed away from FE because I don't like RPGs, but now I like the gameplay in Fire Emblem even better than AW. The game can be time-consuming, but it's addictive as hell.

Chrom

Okay, this game is fantastic. It's packed with content.

Any idea how much the DLC's will cost?

We know that Champions of Yore 1 will be $2.50 after it's no longer free, and since the Japanese prices were all pretty similar to each other, I'd expect the price range to be like $2-4. I'd be surprised if anything cost more than $5.

Has anything been said about when the demo will be put on the European/Australian eShop? I already know the full-release isn't until April. :T

For those who have the game, are there enough new mechanics to make it worth going through the tutorial? Or would you recommend people who played the localized entries so far just jump right in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom