• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia |OT|

redcrayon

There are classes that each is more suited to, but you should be okay with whatever you went with.

What classes did you pick for each one?

I went with:
  • Tobin - Cavalier
  • Gray - Mercenary
  • Faye - Mage
  • Kliff - Mage
The only one I regret is Tobin, but I think he might just suck no matter what I do with him. Definitely thinking Mage for him next time since he has a fairly unique spell list in Alm's route.

I also (Celica Mid-Act 3 Spoiler)
made Atlas a Cavalier.
I went with
Tobin- mercenary
Gray- mercenary
Faye- cleric
Kliff-Mage

Mainly as the stat increases to speed to reach the minimum for a mercenary felt a bit more significant than the cavalry move bonus at the time. Having Faye as a cleric feels good, as with two clerics it lets the army have pretty much unlimited hp recovery.

To anyone wondering about this, it doesn't seem worth worrying about too much, to be honest- you can recruit another
Pegasus Knight, soldier, archer and cavalier
to round out your force before the end of the chapter.

Linkark07

Banned
Can anyone help me with the Mila's temple mission with Cecila?

Keep getting absolutely ruined by Gargoyle summons but can't get close enough to open the door because archers and mages keep smashing me!

I abused summons so the AI focused on the soldiers while one of the pegasus opened the door.

Weebos

Banned
I abused summons so the AI focused on the soldiers while one of the pegasus opened the door.

Yeah, I've been doing this on missions with Cantors and it helps a lot. Invoke is excellent and draws enemies like flies, allowing my units to reposition and recover.

Anteo

Can anyone help me with the Mila's temple mission with Cecila?

Keep getting absolutely ruined by Gargoyle summons but can't get close enough to open the door because archers and mages keep smashing me!

I did this yesterday. The cleric girl learns a spell that instakills gargolytes on a AoE, the boss summons like 8 and around 6 are instakiled before they move. I spammed that while sniping some enemy mages with an archer and opening the door with a flyer. Then when I got inside and cleared the boss I baited the mages on the middle of the map through a small opening using my high res mage as a bait.

Taruranto

The ending of Celica's
chapter 4
was dumber than anything that happened in Fates.

I have some Dread Fighters that can reclass to villager now but not sure if I should go with it, these Dread Fighters are really good.

RRockman

Banned
Are the amiibos worth getting?

Personally I think so, because you can save your lords data on the amiibos to summon later, and they unlock two extra dungeons. Although I mainly got them because FE amiibos tend to be hard to find and I'm pretty sure they are going to do something special in the upcoming FE Warriors.

That Dread fighter Crit is so good! Almost GBA tier!

redcrayon

I really like the way the battle animations start with the fighters moving towards each other, looks pretty cool, especially for the cavalry.

Ponn

Banned
Gods damn it, I'm going to end up getting that dlc pass. I don't know what it is about FE games that sucker me into this shit every damn time.

Are you able to class change again at some point? I like most all of my choices except Kliff, made him a merc because of all the bonuses he was going to get but he still sucks.

Do arts never hit twice? Seems like pretty limited utility on high speed characters.

Yeah they are limited to one hit unless they specifically say otherwise, like Double Lion and Hunter's Volley. Those arts are OP by the way.

Gods damn it, I'm going to end up getting that dlc pass. I don't know what it is about FE games that sucker me into this shit every damn time.

Are you able to class change again at some point? I like most all of my choices except Kliff, made him a merc because of all the bonuses he was going to get but he still sucks.

Mercenaries, Soldiers, Cavaliers and Archers have 3 Tiers. Mercenaries have the advantage of being able to loop forever.

You will also get an item soon that lets you CC anyone back to Villager, but you only get two.

Yeah they are limited to one hit unless they specifically say otherwise, like Double Lion and Hunter's Volley. Those arts are OP by the way.

Mercenaries, Soldiers, Cavaliers and Archers have 3 Tiers. Mercenaries have the advantage of being able to loop forever.

You will also get an item soon that lets you CC anyone back to Villager, but you only get two.
Seriously, Double Lion is so fucking good. It's way better than Scendscale which is supposedly Alm's "ultimate art"

Sölf

So, yeah, double skirmishes in here are really something, depending on the map.

jv0nTAx.jpg

Hylian7

I'm on Act 2 right now, specifically:
Just beat the Necrodragon and entered the dungeon.
Here are my impressions so far.

I've played many other games in the series, including Blazing Sword (FE7, or just "Fire Emblem" in English), Binding Blade (FE6, and in Japanese), Sacred Stones, Path of Radiance, Shadow Dragon (the DS remake), Awakening, and now this. This game is weird, but I like it. Some of the stuff it does, I really want to see again in the series, and surprised some of it hasn't made a return. However some stuff from this game has made a return in the series, such as the free roaming map.

First and foremost, lets get this out of the way, the map design is lol. The maps that are supposed to be large scale castle sieges often have a ton of dead space between you and enemies at the start, where it takes you like 2-3 turns to actually encounter an enemy. Then you have the maps that are too congested, the pirate ships in Act 2 being the biggest offender yet, most with literally one plank between the two ships so you just set up shop and face all the enemies on the map that way, because all of them including the boss will rush you that way. That said, I did particularly like a certain one in Act 2:
The Cantor, because the idea of having to defeat just one really powerful enemy (even though he summons others) is a neat idea. I'm glad to see they did it again with the Necrodragon.

I like the way magic works in this game, but it's one of those things that's cool to see once, but not sure I would want to see it again, or at least consistently. However some of the spells I am surprised never made a comeback. Invoke: Why hasn't that shit come back in a different game?! That is cool as all hell! Act 2:
I know I used that spell in my strategy against both the Necrodragon and the Cantor. Hell I think it was the only realistic way to start the fight against the Necrodragon.
The lack of rock-paper-scissors combat makes things different for sure, but I think ultimately I prefer weapon triangle, because otherwise it seems like I can throw mostly anything at anything and as long as I do it safely, can win.

Dungeons are pretty neat, and I like that you can choose whether to engage enemies or not, get first strike, etc. The game in general actually feels more like an RPG with a Fire Emblem Battle system (although the battles are extended quite a bit). It's a cool feel, but again, not sure I want to see it again as it's just neat as a one-off thing.

I do regret playing on Normal. I wasn't sure what difficulty to pick from the start. While modern Fire Emblem isn't incredibly hard, so you should generally play hard, this was a remake of an older game, so I didn't expect it to be like the Awakening or Fates. Hopefully this changes, and maybe it's just early game that's easy, but right now where I am in act 2, most lackeys are just dinging me and doing 1 damage. Bosses maybe do up to 5. Without spoiling, does the game ramp up significantly, or give me a SMT Nocturne-style "wake up call"?

The art style: IS, can we please just keep this for the rest of the series? This art style is honestly my favorite the entire series has had, and that's really saying something as some games in the game have had excellent artwork. I didn't care as much for the Awakening and Fates art styles, or the chibi no-feet models. I like that they actually have feet in this game, and the battle animations are sick! They are really impressive here. Voice acting is really good too, a lot better than I was expecting. I hope they can keep this quality of presentation up for the rest of the series, because this is honestly the highest point of that in my opinion.

Overall I like the game, and think it's pretty neat. I didn't play Fates (I should at least play Conquest someday, as it sounds like my cup of tea over Birthright), but I'd say so far I think I might like it more than Awakening. I don't think it's going to be my favorite FE, but it still is great. I probably will play the original Gaiden after I finish this though, just for morbid curiousity sake.

I'm on Act 2 right now, specifically:
Just beat the Necrodragon and entered the dungeon.
Here are my impressions so far.

I've played many other games in the series, including Blazing Sword (FE7, or just "Fire Emblem" in English), Binding Blade (FE6, and in Japanese), Sacred Stones, Path of Radiance, Shadow Dragon (the DS remake), Awakening, and now this. This game is weird, but I like it. Some of the stuff it does, I really want to see again in the series, and surprised some of it hasn't made a return. However some stuff from this game has made a return in the series, such as the free roaming map.

First and foremost, lets get this out of the way, the map design is lol. The maps that are supposed to be large scale castle sieges often have a ton of dead space between you and enemies at the start, where it takes you like 2-3 turns to actually encounter an enemy. Then you have the maps that are too congested, the pirate ships in Act 2 being the biggest offender yet, most with literally one plank between the two ships so you just set up shop and face all the enemies on the map that way, because all of them including the boss will rush you that way. That said, I did particularly like a certain one in Act 2:
The Cantor, because the idea of having to defeat just one really powerful enemy (even though he summons others) is a neat idea. I'm glad to see they did it again with the Necrodragon.

I like the way magic works in this game, but it's one of those things that's cool to see once, but not sure I would want to see it again, or at least consistently. However some of the spells I am surprised never made a comeback. Invoke: Why hasn't that shit come back in a different game?! That is cool as all hell! Act 2:
I know I used that spell in my strategy against both the Necrodragon and the Cantor. Hell I think it was the only realistic way to start the fight against the Necrodragon.
The lack of rock-paper-scissors combat makes things different for sure, but I think ultimately I prefer weapon triangle, because otherwise it seems like I can throw mostly anything at anything and as long as I do it safely, can win.

Dungeons are pretty neat, and I like that you can choose whether to engage enemies or not, get first strike, etc. The game in general actually feels more like an RPG with a Fire Emblem Battle system (although the battles are extended quite a bit). It's a cool feel, but again, not sure I want to see it again as it's just neat as a one-off thing.

I do regret playing on Normal. I wasn't sure what difficulty to pick from the start. While modern Fire Emblem isn't incredibly hard, so you should generally play hard, this was a remake of an older game, so I didn't expect it to be like the Awakening or Fates. Hopefully this changes, and maybe it's just early game that's easy, but right now where I am in act 2, most lackeys are just dinging me and doing 1 damage. Bosses maybe do up to 5. Without spoiling, does the game ramp up significantly, or give me a SMT Nocturne-style "wake up call"?

The art style: IS, can we please just keep this for the rest of the series? This art style is honestly my favorite the entire series has had, and that's really saying something as some games in the game have had excellent artwork. I didn't care as much for the Awakening and Fates art styles, or the chibi no-feet models. I like that they actually have feet in this game, and the battle animations are sick! They are really impressive here. Voice acting is really good too, a lot better than I was expecting. I hope they can keep this quality of presentation up for the rest of the series, because this is honestly the highest point of that in my opinion.

Overall I like the game, and think it's pretty neat. I didn't play Fates (I should at least play Conquest someday, as it sounds like my cup of tea over Birthright), but I'd say so far I think I might like it more than Awakening. I don't think it's going to be my favorite FE, but it still is great. I probably will play the original Gaiden after I finish this though, just for morbid curiousity sake.
Characters in Fates have feet. But yeah play Conquest, really fun and great gameplay

MegaMelon

So I'm having a good time, just finished act 2 but that confrontation at the end of the act has annoyed me.

Celicas whole problem is just stupid. The rigelian empire broke the treaty and crossed the border then started taking over. Of course she pulls the 'but you don't have to fight!' card which is stupidly naive whilst also not offering a solution beyond deciding to go find Mila who's seemingly not really aiding the current problem if she's still around at all. That and the stupid 'King Randolf (or whatever I can't remember lol) isn't THAT bad!' ignoring how he marched on over to Zofia and took over and-

Look I just really hope the game doesn't do the classic 'we'll save the day with the power of friendship and diplomacy card!' whilst forgetting about how the situation requires fighting. If this is in fact supposed to show Celica as flawed and the game does address this I'll be really happy but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Also that masked man is totally
Celicas brother who survived the fire. How do I know? The power of anime hair colours of course!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Also that masked man is totally
Celicas brother who survived the fire. How do I know? The power of anime hair colours of course!
The most obvious plot twist I have ever seen.

I'm really, really intrigued by this game (and in general, I like its overall "vibe" more than Fates), but it also feels a little like I'm just going through the motions. I'm not far, granted (I'm only in that first shrine), but I worry that none of this seems different enough to justify investing the time. That everyone claims the map design is boring makes me think I might not make it through.

RRockman

Banned

Lol I forgot I had that spell. What I did was
bait him by having Valibar step into his effective range, and when he bit I boxed him in with Valibar's crew and Saber. Since the dragon could only attack once, I'd just heal the one side of the "box" he attacked while wailing on him with EVERYONE. That blessed sword is great to have, single handedly made Celica one of my best fighters.

Hazu

Hi guys,

I'm kinda new to the Fire Emblem series (played through Fates and Awakening a few months ago and.. that's it), and I'm already having trouble in this game.

I'm at one of the desert mission in Celica's arc, and all my units die so easily, and on the other hand the ennemy spawn monsters faster than I can kill them.

I have no clue what I'm doing wrong, and I'm having on easy difficulty. :(

Hi guys,

I'm kinda new to the Fire Emblem series (played through Fates and Awakening a few months ago and.. that's it), and I'm already having trouble in this game.

I'm at one of the desert mission in Celica's arc, and all my units die so easily, and on the other hand the ennemy spawn monsters faster than I can kill them.

Is it Mila's temple mission or the desert bandits leader (forgot what its called)?

Actually I'm stuck at both lol!

I really need to get better but I don't know how. v_v
I did Mila's temple mission first since I got stuck on the desert bandit leader for an hour or so. The way I beat both of them in a sense, is I got my archer to sniper and abused the sniper's distance. In addition I equipped a healing ring to the healer since she can summon illusion soldiers. the desert bandit leader is def harder.

Also

Good luck.

TannerDemoz

Hi guys,

Yo, have you gone up first and are you training your characters in the dungeons? (replaying them after completion) I think the desert area to the right is the more difficult zone in the area!

Anteo

Wait you have access to both? Doenst that mean you dont have neither atlas nor the pegasus sisters in your party?

Also vs terrors, the cleric girl learns a spell that instakills terrors in a AoE, abuse that

Erheller

Have you promoted your units at the Mila shrines in dungeons? Also make sure to equip weapons on your characters. Other than that, if you're having difficulty you can grind in the dungeons.

I get not wanting to bring back pair up, but where's Rescue?!
I dont know if u got an answer to this question but its in the game and is learned only by certain characters dunno if spoilers but its
faye and atlas

Also man act 4 celica maps are some bsss

And does anyone know what to in alms act 4
i cant seem to pass the giant red x after the necro dragon mountains

Hylian7

Lol I forgot I had that spell. What I did was
bait him by having Valibar step into his effective range, and when he bit I boxed him in with Valibar's crew and Saber. Since the dragon could only attack once, I'd just heal the one side of the "box" he attacked while wailing on him with EVERYONE. That blessed sword is great to have, single handedly made Celica one of my best fighters.

My Celica had learned Seraphim magic by that point, so all I really needed the illusory soldiers for was just to bait the dragon into range. Then I could let Celica tear into him and everyone else.

Whizkid7

....My cleric just learned how to summon a ghost army to fight for her. That's...that's kinda badass.

Made real good fodder against that first cantor!

Ponn

Banned

Thanks. I actually take back what I said about Kliff. Right after I posted that I got a lightning sword and gave it to him and he has been wrecking maps now.

Nbz

Any advice on what class to make Atlas? Seems like he'll do well as mercenary, but I already have Saber and Kamui on Celica's team. Would go with Cavalier, but not sure if that'll work out.

Xenoflare

Any advice on what class to make Atlas? Seems like he'll do well as mercenary, but I already have Saber and Kamui on Celica's team. Would go with Cavalier, but not sure if that'll work out.

Cavalier or Archer, the former fixes no mounted units in Celica's route and the latter eases the dependency you have on Leon

Though I just benched him lol. I found myself lowmanning by maps with the 10 units I dungeon crawl with

If u want the
rescue
spell mage but i went merc)

nubbe

I dont know if u got an answer to this question but its in the game and is learned only by certain characters dunno if spoilers but its
faye and atlas

Also man act 4 celica maps are some bsss

And does anyone know what to in alms act 4
i cant seem to pass the giant red x after the necro dragon mountains

finnish Celica's quest

Rutger

Banned
So there's an interview with the director of this game. Says he wants to remake Binding Blade next. I say go for it!!! We need to finish the Elibe saga anyway.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/18/15658120/fire-emblem-echoes-nintendo-3ds-remake-interview

Maybe someone can start a new thread based on this info. Ok, it's not confirmed or anything, but still interesting.

!

Now, I will try to put my bias aside, and say that FE6 would not be a bad choice at all to remake next, Roy's popularity and the game's connection to FE7 are hard for any other game to match.

But this would still be a ways away, at least after FE Switch. I still kind of expect them to go with FE4 next, but I wouldn't be sad at all if they decide to skip it, haha.

PsionBolt

Man, the animations carried over from Gaiden make me so happy. From Celica's jump slash to
Alm's shield-toss-jump-stab against Duma
, they're all just as badass in 3D.

I was afraid for a second that I wouldn't get to see the latter when good ol' "Sorry-- not sorry" decided to smash the boss for 90+30 damage, but I thankfully still got the chance afterward.

The ending of Celica's
chapter 4
was dumber than anything that happened in Fates.

I have some Dread Fighters that can reclass to villager now but not sure if I should go with it, these Dread Fighters are really good.

ahh so you reached that part

meanwhile I'm still going through swampfest >_>

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
So is this time better to promote second classes (like Sniper) as soon as you can or should I wait until a certain level?

TannerDemoz

So is this time better to promote second classes (like Sniper) as soon as you can or should I wait until a certain level?

I'm still waiting for that level 20 unless there's a third class? I've just finished desert temple place with Cecilla and I'm averaging around 15/16

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
I'm still waiting for that level 20 unless there's a third class? I've just finished desert temple place with Cecilla and I'm averaging around 15/16

I meant promotions like Archer -> Sniper, sorry for the confusion.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Dread Fighter -> Villager seems like the most random thing. Why is this the only class that does this?

Semajer

Are you cut off from any parts of the world map later in the game? I didn't get some of the shrine stat boosts from act 1.

Top Bottom