• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia |OT|

Fully voiced dialogue is such a major step forward for FE's presentation.

I really, really don't mind that Echoes got rid of these ugly 3D cutscenes and everything is just Atlus-esque talking portraits. What a great tradeoff.

Game is super fun so far, about 3.5 hours in.

Fully voiced dialogue is such a major step forward for FE's presentation.

I really, really don't mind that Echoes got rid of these ugly 3D cutscenes and everything is just Atlus-esque talking portraits. What a great tradeoff.

Game is super fun so far, about 3.5 hours in.

There are 3D cutscenes though?

This game's localization is just wonderful.

I think they're talking about ones using the in-game models, which I haven't seen in Echoes yet.
There's one of you training with Mycen right at the beginning.

But yeah pretty infrequent, i like Echoes way better.

Chase17

Wow, I spent way too much time trying rush Tatalas to save the sister, when all I had to do was make sure she had <6 hp since she stops attacking.

TheMoon

someone really needs to PM Draxal about getting this promotion business added to the title :)

I don't think they're reading the thread lol

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
someone really needs to PM Draxal about getting this promotion business added to the title :)

Only mods can change thread titles.

vkrili

Including basic promotions like Archer -> Sniper? If so, it sounds like the most un-Fire Emblem thing ever :p
Did I stutter? APASAP.

Actually, promoting decently early has been the most optimal approach in most Fire Emblems. Absolutely having to wait for 20 is a "Wendy is a 9/10" level of Gamefaqsness. Having those stat boosts that promotions give you now is a lot better than what those extra few points might give you in the endgame, assuming you even get to 20/20.

Erheller

Did I stutter? APASAP.

Actually, promoting decently early has been the most optimal approach in most Fire Emblems. Absolutely having to wait for 20 is a "Wendy is a 9/10" level of Gamefaqsness. Having those stat boosts that promotions give you now is a lot better than what those extra few points might give you in the endgame, assuming you even get to 20/20.

Next you're going to be telling me that Marcus and Seth aren't trash units!

Reset

Next you're going to be telling me that Marcus and Seth aren't trash units!

Seth is great. Marcus sucks though, but he also had the bad luck of being in the same game with the best Paladin (Sain) in the series.
[Oh and waiting til 20 is the correct way. :] Well maybe not in this game, but in the other games psh.

Erheller

Marcus does suck though. In FE 6, he's one of the of worst units you get. In 7 he's better, but why use him when you get Sain, Kent, and Lowen.

For sure, Marcus isn't very good in 6, but he has his uses in 7. He's not trash by any means in 7, even if he does fall off later on.

Edit:

lol no FE6 Marcus, while he does fall off, is invaluable in the earlygame, meanwhile FE7 Marcus literally lasts the entire game cause weeee FE7 enemies

Even on HHM? I swear he wasn't working for me last time I played through FE7 HHM, but maybe I just got unlucky.

Double edit: I think I just spread my experience too thin in that run anyways because a few of my units weren't able to reach doubling thresholds by the middle-later chapters

Marcus does suck though. In FE 6, he's one of the of worst units you get. In 7 he's better, but why use him when you get Sain, Kent, and Lowen.

lol no FE6 Marcus, while he does fall off, is invaluable in the earlygame, meanwhile FE7 Marcus literally lasts the entire game cause weeee FE7 enemies

Draxal

I am.

1. The current OT is a placeholder until Shun gets back as stated in the OT.
2. Once we get it updated, there will be a more permanent OT title, I'm not dicking around until that happens.

Did I stutter? APASAP.

You are Prodigy's new favorite poster.

Draxal

not very far but Cleric!Faye seems very strong?

Cleric Faye is this games dancer, although to be fair she gets anew incredibly late.

Going to edit op with class recommendations for the villagers and their "canon" classes if anybody cares.

Alm Route
Gray: Rec Class = Merc. Canon Class = Merc.
Tobin: Rec Class = Mage. Canon Class = Archer
Kliff: Rec Class = Archer. Canon Class = Mage
Faye: Rec Class = Cleric. Canon Class = PK

Celica Route
Atlas: Rec Class = Archer. Canon Class = ???

Ponn

Banned
Cleric Faye is this games dancer, although to be fair she gets anew incredibly late.

Going to edit op with class recommendations for the villagers and their "canon" classes if anybody cares.

Alm Route

Celica Route

HAHA, oh wow I guess i'm going maverick completely on my team then.

Kliff - Merc
Tobin - Merc
Gray - Cavalier
Faye - Mage

Rutger

Banned

You have not played FE6 HM if you do not think Marcus is one of your most worthwhile early game units, haha.

Maybe even on normal mode, but I dunno, it's been way too long since I last played that.

Tommy DJ

For sure, Marcus isn't very good in 6, but he has his uses in 7. He's not trash by any means in 7, even if he does fall off later on.

Edit:

Even on HHM? I swear he wasn't working for me last time I played through FE7 HHM, but maybe I just got unlucky.

Double edit: I think I just spread my experience too thin in that run anyways because a few of my units weren't able to reach doubling thresholds by the middle-later chapters

In both games Marcus is one of the best units. FE6 Marcus' carries you through the entire first half the game due to his weapon ranks and ability to take hits.

FE7 Marcus is always useful due to his weapon ranks and high strength. His speed struggles around the midgame, where he can't double nomads and cavs, but that's solvable with speedwings.

As for this game, I'm liking it so far but holy moley are some of the fortress desert maps complete trash. Just a slog to run through. Its not like you can warp and lay a hit on the boss, unless he's a summoner, because they're all rout objectives.

Reset

You have not played FE6 HM if you do not think Marcus is one of your most worthwhile early game units, haha.

Maybe even on normal mode, but I dunno, it's been way too long since I last played that.
Nah, I played it on hard mide. By the time you reach the large map with the colleseum, which is in five chapters(?) or so I end up benching him for the rest of the game. It's been a really long time since I last played that game, but I do remember not using him after you get the knight Crest which is the chapter right after the large town map and you have like four other cavaliers to use.

Maybe I'm forgetting something, but I do think you get your Knight's Crest pretty early on. Like I said it's been a while.

In FE 7, I bench him as soon as Sain rejoins your party.

LeonSPBR

Just started Celica first act and Mae is fucking OP and according to Celica her strong point is her energy and that she Zap fools, and I am okay with that.

LeonSPBR

Alm Route

Celica Route
Huh the only Canon class that I didn't pick was Tobin's.

Also I killed the necrodragon with Celica and as she leveled she gains Seraphin... Goddammit that would make an easier fight.

BorntoPlay

I have 2 Amazon Preorder for Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of the Valentia Limited Edition for $65 (paypal f&f) NEW PRICE AT COST THIS PREORDER WILL BE CANCELED IN 3 DAYS...

QVjhWjt.jpg

PM if you are interested...

Xenoflare

What makes Tobin a better mage and Kliff a better archer instead of going with their obvious class choices?

I went with the "canon" classes and Tobin is outclassed by Python in every way and his growth are quite poor.

Kliff as a mage is meh for me, but I don't have any other options.

People who like mage Tobin usually bring up the early Excalibur, which is a spell that is basically brave sword but for magic (low weight and high crit). in addition of Physic that is really appreciated since if you did not make Faye into a Cleric only Tatiana knows ranged healing.

Gray is born for Merc and I don't know how I am going to go through the game without making Faye a Cleric, but I don't mind making Kilff an archer and Tobin a mage on my next playthrough.

I went with the "canon" classes and Tobin is outclassed by Python in every way and his growth are quite poor.

Kliff as a mage is meh for me, but I don't have any other options.

People who like mage Tobin usually bring up the early Excalibur, which is a spell that is basically brave sword but for magic (low weight and high crit). in addition of Physic that is really appreciated since if you did not make Faye into a Cleric only Tatiana knows ranged healing.

Gray is born for Merc and I don't know how I am going to go through the game without making Faye a Cleric, but I don't mind making Kilff an archer and Tobin a mage on my next playthrough.

Thanks for the explanation

On another note, does anyone have any suggestions on best usage of the stat fountains? Any reason to not use them immediately? Should I spread them out or concentrate them on a few people?

Top Bottom