• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia |OT|

Draxal

I wonder if they'll do FE6 on it's own or merge the 2 Elibe games together.

Well, they split off FE3.

I would do FE7 before FE6 due to it being a prequel.

But i would do 4/5 first, I just want 4's soundtrack /selfish.

TBH. I wouldn't look to much into this, as I believe Nintendo decides which game is remade next.

Strings

Huh, I don't know how to feel about a FE6 remake. It still looks and plays beautifully - so it'd be kind of a waste to me?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
If the Jugdral games get remade, I wonder if 4/5 will be put together, like the original FE3 had a remake of the first game thrown in with it. Like

Book 1 - Sigurd
Book 2 - Leaf
Book 3 - Celice

That would sure be a long game, though...

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
One great thing we can get from this comment is they presumably haven't let SoV's lackluster Japanese sales deter them from the Echoes title. I know it sold the expected amount, it was just hard seeing the numbers compared to Awakening/Fates. It really deserved more.

Hopefully the West picked up the slack.
FE6 didn't do too bad in Japan, so there might be interest this time around. I still stand by now that they've done the blacksheep, the Echoes series will be nothing but hits.

Ninferno

That story from Verge is interesting but I wouldn't read too much into it. First of all, like Draxal has said, it's not up to some young director to decide whether to do remakes, let alone which one to remake of. Secondly, the reason quoted is merely "it has not been released outside of Japan" and which nothing on FE6's own merits; it's not like FE 4 and 5 are any different in this regard. It's probably just a random answer to a random question.

Anyway, I do think FE6 is a good candidate because well, Smash. The awareness and interest is there, plus the connection to FE7 which is the first to the west and still pretty popular to this date. However for me personally, FE 4 and 5 definitely takes way higher priority.

BTW, two additional takeaways from this story:
1. This director guy graduated from university in 2009, that means he's pretty young for a "director", not bad at all.
2. They mentioned the name change and not calling it "Gaiden" outside of Japan so that people won't be confused. That's nice and all, but fact is, SoV is also not called "Gaiden" in Japan. It's called something like "Echoes: Another Hero King" in Japan so that point is pretty moot. However, the difference in naming between Japan and the west (not just the mere fact that they are not called "Gaiden") does mean they have put in some thoughts. "Another Hero King" is clearly a reference to Marth being "the one Hero King". However, Marth only becomes the "Hero King" of Archanea in Mystery (FE3) book 2, or New Mystery (FE12), both of which never came to the west. What the west gets is only Shadow Dragon, which ended with Marth as the Prince/King of Altea. As a result, calling Alm the other hero king in the west would have been inappropriate or confusing.

TheMoon

Huh, I don't know how to feel about a FE6 remake. It still looks and plays beautifully - so it'd be kind of a waste to me?

No remake would be a waste since the originals are not available officially in anything other than Japanese and the current, broader FE fanbase might want to play through these scenarios without having to resort to emulation shenanigans. Gotta get out of the diehard play of fan translations mindset a bit.

Gradivus

A FE6 remake would be much more interesting if they remake 7 first and then let you carry your save/choices in FE6.
Well, I guess they could also add in a marriage system to please the newer fans for a Fe6/7 remark, seems a few of the Fe6 characters have predetermined parents from FE7.

Ninferno

If the Jugdral games get remade, I wonder if 4/5 will be put together, like the original FE3 had a remake of the first game thrown in with it. Like

Book 1 - Sigurd
Book 2 - Leaf
Book 3 - Celice

IMO, FE 4 and 5 are too different in style and mechanics to be merged into one game. FE 6 and 7 on the other hand, are basically the same game with different characters (who happened to be related).

Anyway, I won't deny any form of FE4/5 remake of course, be it in one game or two, or three. Just give them to me.

PsionBolt

Book 1 - Sigurd
Book 2 - Leaf
Book 3 - Celice

FE5 is so different from (and superior to) FE4, I really don't think it'd work. 6 and 7 could be combined far more easily, and I still don't think they'd do that either, after how they did 11 and 12.

R0ckman

Isn't it said in SoV that
Celica's mother was kidnapped -and raped- by the king
?

JUST got to this part and, no it's not flat out implied that she was raped, I guess it depends on culture, but she was kidnapped and forced into one of many wives.

Beartruck

Is there some way i can get Alm to fall in love with Faye instead? She wants his D so bad and the guy won't even give her the time of day. Poor faye. :(

Weebos

Banned
Nearing the end of Act 4, this game is great. There was one mission in Alm's route that was a total slog. I kind of enjoyed it, but hopefully there aren't any other battles of attrition like that.

On the subject of FE6: I would rather have them release a localized version on Virtual Console than a remake, but I won't complain. More Fire Emblem is always good. Plus incorporating FE7 would be kind of cool, though probably outside the scope of the game.

Draxal

FWIW, he's one of the two directors on the Nintendo side. The director on the IS side is Toshiyuki Kusakihara.

Thanks, for pointing this out as I honestly remember Kusakihara being the director for this game in a previous interview (he was responsible for bringing Hidari into the game and the art director for Awakenings and Fates).

Btw, not sure if you worked on this game yourself but this was a great localization.

TannerDemoz

Can anyone help me with the Mila's temple mission with Cecila?

Keep getting absolutely ruined by Gargoyle summons but can't get close enough to open the door because archers and mages keep smashing me!

Kosen

Neo Member
JUST got to this part and, no it's not flat out implied that she was raped, I guess it depends on culture, but she was kidnapped and forced into one of many wives.

Yeah, the only thing that is flat out said is
that she was kidnapped, but in the same conversation they say -iirc- that she must have hated the king and/or the monarchy, which I took that as a pretty obvious implication of rape (although you may be right in that the implications of this sequence depend on culture).
I guess that other games could take this approach, although I don't know how much weight rape has in Genealogy's plot.

They have done a great job with this remake and I really like many of the systems put in place in this game compared to other FE games (like being able to promote right away as it corrects your stats for that promotion) I do wish it made more sense on when characters can promote. Male/Female characters and classes can promote at completely different times which just seems odd to me.

The characters are also a major step up from Awakening and Fates with at least some character development spread throughout the game, it still could be better mind you but I certainly felt much more interested in this cast then the last few FE games. I think it helps that although there are quite a few characters having them divided between two armies helps a lot in making each group seem like its a much smaller roster as a whole and thus more elements can be directed towards character development. I would have liked to see some of the not auto join characters speak up during story moments every now and then though.

Honestly the only real problem the game ends up having is that the map verity is severely lacking as are the actual battles themselves. Random battles and story battles generally don't differ that much and they really need to find more win conditions then just Rout the enemy. The mobile FE game has this same problem and while they've added defensive battles I do miss some of the GBA FE game inclusions like fog of war (despite it being frustrating at times) to help make the gameplay not so repetitive.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I did, and thank you. :)
You did a great job.

I really like the Rigelian Empire's setting. It's all pine trees and wastes and large imposing fortresses. It manages to be cold (without resorting to an outright winter theme) and desolate (without resorting to the endless desert theme). It feels oppressive, but in a nuanced way. Probably the most unique setting in the series outside of Hoshido/Nohr in Fates. ...and maybe the Laguz nations in the Tellius games.

R0ckman

Yeah, the only thing that is flat out said is
that she was kidnapped, but in the same conversation they say -iirc- that she must have hated the king and/or the monarchy, which I took that as a pretty obvious implication of rape (although you may be right in that the implications of this sequence depend on culture).
I guess that other games could take this approach, although I don't know how much weight rape has in Genealogy's plot.

I played through it a couple of years ago, I believe 2 years ago. They could deal with the "rape" like this, but the incest is the bigger issue. That game actually disturbed me quite a bit and I was in my late 20s playing.

I'm actually not sure how the west would like the game though, its not very epic in terms of story, no huge fantasy aspect, most fights take place fighting over castle territory and the maps take longer to finish with many events popping up on the map.

Ninferno

I don't know how much weight rape has in Genealogy's plot.

Not much at all; I have to honestly say people are exaggerating a lot when it comes to Genealogy of the Holy War. There is indeed an event happened in the game, which involves
brainwashing, but it isn't done by the male character in this supposedly "rape"
, whether it constitutes
rape
is debatable, because it is really complicated and involve multiple parties with different agendas; there's no way to discuss this without going full spoiler. After all, I think you are right, they can surely do the SoV treatment to FE4 if they want to make it much lighter.

As for incest, both parties have no knowledge of it. It is not intentional at the very least.

I think people really have to stop bringing this up every time FE 4 is mentioned; like FE4 has nothing but incest and
rape
. It is utterly unfair. The things they are referring to might be impactful events but by no mean the focus of the game.

Golnei

The incest is given too much weight when discussing the game - but that being said, given the effort to keep Gaiden's mechanical quirks here, I am curious as to whether they'd consider keeping Seliph/Julia in as a valid relationship option.

SolVanderlyn

I think people really have to stop bring this up every time FE 4 is mentioned; like FE4 has nothing but incest and
rape
. It is utterly unfair. They might be impactful events but by no mean the focus of the game.
Just like how dating in Persona is actually a minuscule element of the games but is toted online as the game's entire premise.

You're absolutely right though. It's
incest and brainwashing
not in there for shock value, or done tastelessly. The uncomfortable subjects are played as a tragedy and treated appropriately by the characters in the game. I could definitely see it being toned down in a remake because, well, Nintendo, but the delicate subjects are definitely treated much better than in most modern media. It's no Game of Thrones/ASoiF, that's for sure.

Draxal

Let's get back on topic.

I kinda don't like how random the base supports are in the way they appear.

They are possibly missable if you don't spam entering towns once your army gets larger.

Ninferno

Yep, the randomness of who will be appearing for conversion is certainly annoying. However, I also can't think of a elegant solution to this problem, maybe rotate the appearance and prevent repetitions of anyone before everyone is presented for that round? I'm not sure if this is already the case.

Just like how dating in Persona is actually a minuscule element of the games but is toted online as the game's entire premise.

You're absolutely right though. It's
incest and brainwashing
not in there for shock value, or done tastelessly. The uncomfortable subjects are played as a tragedy and treated appropriately by the characters in the game. I could definitely see it being toned down in a remake because, well, Nintendo, but the delicate subjects are definitely treated much better than in most modern media. It's no Game of Thrones/ASoiF, that's for sure.

Yeah, it's not something that's done for shits and giggles and for people to make weird shippings. It's very central to the plot.

Other weirdness I blame it on fans using FE4 to justify the possibility of forbidden love in other games (FE8) and among others.

Yep, the randomness of who will be appearing for conversion is certainly annoying. However, I also can't think of a elegant solution to this problem, maybe rotate the appearance and prevent repetitions of anyone before everyone is presented for that round? I'm not sure if this is already the case.

The solution is relatively straightforward. Make the inbetween chapter conversations a menu option (on the bottom screen?), ala the base conversations in the GC/Wii games and have them all accessible there, rather than making you go to and from a town. Just have the option on the other screen have a (...) logo appear when there is a new conversation, or something similar.

Golnei

Alternatively, maybe they could make the current approach more user-friendly by displaying a small
latest
above towns with new conversations?

Though it could easily make the world map too cluttered...

SolVanderlyn

Forsyth and Python's relationship is really fun to watch. It's like a buddy cop duo where one is hardworking and dedicated and the other is a lazy bum. They can't stand each other, but you can still tell they care about each other like childhood friends would. The voice acting on both really sells their dynamic.

I heard there is a memory fragment about them. I must find it.

I started playing FE when 7 released on GBA and have been a huge fan ever since. I loved Awakening and Fates but I'm enjoying how different SoV feels compared to those two, it has so many unique elements that give it a lot of character. I've enjoyed the return to a more simplistic style of FE gameplay and I'm looking forward to seeing how the game progresses. My only concern is that the map design will be a little too simplistic and become stale with time but we'll see.

Already much better than Shadow Dragon, at least. :)

It just hit me. Do we need ANOTHER remake of Mystery of the Emblem for the game to come out in English? Goddammit! I can't believe we missed that game.

redcrayon

A couple of hours in now, just starting Celica's route. Thought it was funny in the first town, after picking up some food that was lying around, that you can click on both a cat and the fish it's eating (in the tavern). I was wondering if either the cat would be annoyed if we nicked it's bit of fish (clearly the famine is a big deal in Zofia) or if Celica would grab the cat and stick that in the bag too!

I like the art style too, really nice. Also, being able to shift the viewing angle to a classic 2D plane was useful in the castle battle. There's quite a lot that isn't explained (the mission objective only being displayed during the enemy turn for one, but I'm assuming that virtually all of them are 'rout enemy'), but it's not so complex that fiddling with the menus and buttons during battles can't solve it. The auto-battle 'charge!' command combined with turning off attack animations was good for dealing with enemy armies that offer no threat, but habit has me suspiciously clicking on each one looking for that hidden ability that's going to kill someone :D

jzbluz

The incest is given too much weight when discussing the game - but that being said, given the effort to keep Gaiden's mechanical quirks here, I am curious as to whether they'd consider keeping Seliph/Julia in as a valid relationship option.

I did that pairing just for laughs, but keeping that type of error just sounds idiotic. Unless we are getting platonic pairings. I would love for FE to do platonic S supports or at least platonic endings again.

Golnei

I did that pairing just for laughs, but keeping that type of error just sounds idiotic. Unless we are getting platonic pairings. I would love for FE to do platonic S supports or at least platonic endings again.

They could always write it like Owain/Lucina's 'companion' stuff in Awakening - acknowledging the existence of it in the original game and keeping at least one method to do it, but allowing it to appear as not completely romantic.

It just hit me. Do we need ANOTHER remake of Mystery of the Emblem for the game to come out in English? Goddammit! I can't believe we missed that game.

Since it doesn't seem like original localisations for VC games are ever going to be much of a thing, probably - and I doubt they'd do a Deep Strange Journey-esque port of a DS game with some updated art in order to localise it, given the series' abundance of releases and imminent move to a HD platform. If they keep up the pace of remakes to original games, maybe it'll loop back sooner than you'd expect.

LeonSPBR

Just started yesterday and SoV beginning reminds a lot of Awakening. Friends killing each other and then go back to a different time and in a village. But I find Awakening anime parts more colorful than SoV.

Also this game is good. Just got to class change my guys from the village. I made each a different class, was that okay or was there a class that each excelled at?

Weebos

Banned
Just started yesterday and SoV beginning reminds a lot of Awakening. Friends killing each other and then go back to a different time and in a village. But I find Awakening anime parts more colorful than SoV.

Also this game is good. Just got to class change my guys from the village. I made each a different class, was that okay or was there a class that each excelled at?

There are classes that each is more suited to, but you should be okay with whatever you went with.

What classes did you pick for each one?

I went with:
  • Tobin - Cavalier
  • Gray - Mercenary
  • Faye - Mage
  • Kliff - Mage
The only one I regret is Tobin, but I think he might just suck no matter what I do with him. Definitely thinking Mage for him next time since he has a fairly unique spell list in Alm's route.

I also (Celica Mid-Act 3 Spoiler)
made Atlas a Cavalier.

LeonSPBR

There are classes that each is more suited to, but you should be okay with whatever you went with.

I went with:
  • Tobin - Cavalier
  • Gray - Mercenary
  • Faye - Mage
  • Kliff - Mage
The only one I regret is Tobin, but I think he might just suck no matter what I do with him. Definitely thinking Mage for him next time since he has a fairly unique spell list in Alm's route.

made Atlas a Cavalier.

Mine was Almost identical to yours except for Faye. I made her a pegasus knight.

I went with:
  • Tobin - Cavalier
  • Gray - Mercenary
  • Faye - Mage
  • Kliff - Mage

made Atlas a Cavalier.

The only difference between yours and mine, is I did Kliff as an archer.

Top Bottom