• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia |OT|

LeonSPBR

Yeah, even her supports with other characters are still all about Alm. I don't remember any of Tharja's supports being that bad.

Faye and Silque support is just painful. At least Tharja had good ones like Henry, Gregor and Nowi, but Faye is only Alm talk regardless who you talk. She took to a new level of crazy.

Thing is Tharja had some sort of reason for being obsessive over Robin with the whole Dark/Curse Mage thing she had going on.

But Faye is just a normal village girl.

So her obsession comes off as something more... unhinged instead of something comedic. Not even in the stereo-typically creepy way it's displayed in some media but she looks and speaks in a perfectly normal way until you listen to what she's actually saying regarding Alm. With Tharja I thought it was comedic, but with Faye I just think about how unhealthy it is.

Xenoflare

Thing is Tharja had some sort of reason for being obsessive over Robin with the whole Dark/Curse Mage thing she had going on.

So her obsession comes off as something more... unhinged instead of something comedic. Not even in the stereo-typically creepy way it's displayed in some media but she looks and speaks in a perfectly normal way until you listen to what she's actually saying regarding Alm. With Tharja I thought it was comedic, but with Faye I just think about how unhealthy it is.

So Tharja is so crazy it gotten the point where it's a-ok

Well she does say things along the lines "I will kill for you Alm" meaning kill the enemy in your name. The way she even says it comes across as being unhinged.

Kraq

So I just wrapped up the game on Classic Hard with no deaths but with the occasional reset and liberal use of Mila's Turnwheel (especially towards the end).

Shadows of Valentia is definitely in the upper tier of Fire Emblems for me. The gameplay isn't as good as, say, Conquest or FE12, but it's good enough. I don't really know how they could have significantly changed it without taking away from what makes this a remake of Gaiden. But where this game really shines is literally everywhere else. Brilliant characters, both the goodies and baddies. Fantastic world building, writing that actually feels like it could have been spoken by real people, delightful graphics that have a nice charm and epic music. That's what I want from my Japanese games with an RPG element to them. This game felt like a JRPG with SRPG elements, when Fire Emblem is usually the other way around. And that's fine, because it works really well here. I really, really hope they pick up on the success they've achieved here and incorporate some of this in the upcoming Switch release and future titles. If they were to blend Conquest level gameplay with the everything else of SoV, we could be looking at something truly special that will go down as one of gaming history's greats.

With that all I said, I also want to briefly discuss some of the postgame content.
Chapter 6 could have been done better. It doesn't take anything away from my very positive opinion of the game, but still. The final battle against the superboss is brutal. Thank goodness for Mila's Turnwheel, which allowed me to experiment with multiple approaches. I did no grinding, so nobody except Alm even stood a chance against Grima. The only method I feel I could have used (and did use) was Rescuing him in and out for a turn, and then hitting Grima 4 times the following turn with Faye's Again ability. All the while banking on getting critical hits (and you're not hurting this thing otherwise). As I said, brutal, considering that you're facing constant reinforcements that are just begging to crit the rest of your team, as they frequently did to mine.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Faye is Tharja if she was a white mage instead of a black mage

Golnei

Faye and Silque support is just painful. At least Tharja had good ones like Henry, Gregor and Nowi, but Faye is only Alm talk regardless who you talk. She took to a new level of crazy.

I don't understand what they thought she'd add to the game. Having a character fulfil the role of a new female Villager made sense from a gameplay perspective, but the obnoxious, all-consuming gimmick they decided to give her is somewhat unique in the game, making it even more out-of-place.

Pappasman

Whats the deal with promotion? I read that waiting until 20 to promote doesn't matter and that you should promote ASAP always. Is this true?

LeonSPBR

I don't understand what they thought she'd add to the game. Having a character fulfil the role of a new female Villager made sense from a gameplay perspective, but the obnoxious, all-consuming gimmick they decided to give her is somewhat unique in the game, making it even more out-of-place.

Yup, she so different from every one that make her stalking even worse.

Yes I feel the same way. Tharja stalking turned into comedy with her " Robin's diary" where she catalogs how many times Robin does something. Faye goes to "nice too see you" from "I'm going to kill your enemies Alm" way too fast. Just watch her first support with Alm, she says that she likes seeing his face to kill his enemies for him. She's practically a yandere.

Faye is worse than Tharja?

What

Just read her supports. Faye is pretty much a stalker/yandere.

You should finish the Slique support.
Thought it ended well
I will. But for now I don't like it.

LeonSPBR

Whats the deal with promotion? I read that waiting until 20 to promote doesn't matter and that you should promote ASAP always. Is this true?

Yes. Promotions gives skills that's better getting ASAP and thus game is stingy with the leveling stats so waiting can be worse.

This game unlike previous Fire Emblems, promoting ASAP is more advantageous then waiting to hit level 20 because of the skills earned for promoting.

Xenoflare

Yup, she so different from every one that make her stalking even worse.

Yes I feel the same way. Tharja stalking turned into comedy with her " Robin's diary" where she catalogs how many times Robin does something. Faye goes to "nice too see you" from "I'm going to kill your enemies Alm" way too fast. Just watch her first support with Alm, she says that she likes seeing his face to kill his enemies for him. She's practically a yandere.

Just read her supports. Faye is pretty much a stalker/yandere.

I will. But for now I don't like it.

I finished her supports for Both Alm and Silque, while I agree Faye is a missed opportunity but saying she is worse than Tharja is really pushing it.

So Tharja is so crazy it gotten the point where it's a-ok

Not really following what you're trying to get at here. I also don't see anywhere in my post where I stated Tharja being crazy was "a-ok".

Well she does say things along the lines "I will kill for you Alm" meaning kill the enemy in your name. The way she even says it comes across as being unhinged.

That's what I'm talking about. She looks and talks like a normal villager until stuff concerning Alm comes up. I didn't know anything about Gaiden prior to starting it so Faye came as a surprise once the Alm stuff started becoming more frequent. I initially thought she just had a childhood crush on him but more interactions proved that it was a bit more than that.

Where as with Tharja it was obvious from the get-go that she was supposed to be the creepy witch/mage/whatever that puts hexes on people so any weird behaviour from her was expected.

That's why Faye surprised me and Tharja didn't.

Xenoflare

Not really following what you're trying to get at here. I also don't see anywhere in my post where I stated Tharja being crazy was "a-ok".

These are the points you brought up that lead my train of thought.

I should make my point a bit more clear, I am very surprised at the Faye hate despite of the fact that we had Camilla and Tharja. To me she is toned down a lot compared to the those two.

Credo

I just started chapter 3 and after looking at the recruitment page on Serenes, I see I missed Python in chapter 1. Is it worth starting the game over just to make sure I didn't miss him? I'd really rather not waste the hours I've already put into it unless he's some kind of game-changer.

Faye would fit right in a Yoko Taro game. She seems really demented with her obsession over Alm. Just wonder how the rejection will eventually go...she is kinda scary.

Weebos

Banned
I just started chapter 3 and after looking at the recruitment page on Serenes, I see I missed Python in chapter 1. Is it worth starting the game over just to make sure I didn't miss him? I'd really rather not waste the hours I've already put into it unless he's some kind of game-changer.

Did you try going back and getting him from the Deliverance base? He might still be there?

He is the only archer in Alm's route unless you promoted a villager to one. There are maps I don't know how I would have beaten without him, but I'm sure there are ways.

Faye would fit right in a Yoko Taro game. She seems really demented with her obsession over Alm. Just wonder how the rejection will eventually go...she is kinda scary.
The real positive to her is that as a Unit she is great at least as a Peg Knight which is the class I chose for her.

Sciz

I made Faye a pegasus knight and gave her some extra attack and defense.

She has been killing in Alm's name quite effectively.

I should make my point a bit more clear, I am very surprised at the Faye hate despite of the fact that we had Camilla and Tharja. To me she is toned down a lot compared to the those two.

Now I'm just more confused.

Where did I say I hate Faye?

The only thing I've talked about is why Faye comes off as a more disturbing character than Tharja.

Disturbing =/= Hate =/= Bad character.

That's actually a really good point. She would definitely not be out of place there.

Xenoflare

Now I'm just more confused.

Where did I say I hate Faye?

The only thing I've talked about is why Faye comes off as a more disturbing character than Tharja.

Disturbing =/= Hate =/= Bad character.

It isn't anything personal and I was just using your post as an example. I use hate to express the amount of backlash she received.

Now again, I am confused about how Faye is more disturbing than Tharja, but let's just agree to disagree on that regard.

Credo

Did you try going back and getting him from the Deliverance base? He might still be there?

He is the only archer in Alm's route unless you promoted a villager to one. There are maps I don't know how I would have beaten without him, but I'm sure there are ways.

Good call. I just assumed that because he was listed as chapter 1, I missed him because I'm already in chapter 3, but he was still sitting there waiting for me. Thanks!

Faye ultimately understands and things are concluded pleasantly in her A support. She is one of the primary power players in my game. Been playing the game and enjoying it, especially the art and volume/quality of voice-acting. Gameplay...not much to say right now. I like it well enough is my quasi-meh statement for now. Did have to start paying some attention in Act 4, normal/classic (although going for the Dracoshield earlier was involving).

R0ckman

Faye is JUST about Alm, Tharja and Camilla's social behavior in regards to the main characters are not their only defining factor.

Taruranto

Tharja and Camilla felt written for people who had a crazy hot gurl/yandere fetish (i.e. waifubait), Faye is just straight up creepy insane more than anything (Starting with her design).

Leon died during the ally phase.
Do I have to reset.

Just roll back the battle with the Whell unless you are playing on casual.

Fun fact: Faye's supports with Alm lower her evasion, starting at -5 for C and ending at -15 for A.

This is the only support in the game that lowers a stat.
It is a way of balancing out how it gives +20% hit and +15% crit at A support. Given she has ranged attack options (javelins, magic) in her class choices I think Faye comes out on top really.

Leon died during the ally phase.
Do I have to reset.
If it keeps happening retreat and there will be less enemies which helps the survivability issue (durr i'm an archer I'll just attack at point blank and make no effort to distance myself)

The real positive to her is that as a Unit she is great at least as a Peg Knight which is the class I chose for her.

Ha, same class I chose as well. She starts out as a bit of a glass cannon but her defence is better now. I like the cast for the most part, the dialogue and voice acting really adds a lot to them.

RRockman

Banned
At least Faye wouldn't actively abuse her kids.

I thought Faye was hilarious in the first two supports honestly. I would have preferred her to move on in the ending though. But she is not Tharja bad. The only reason I spared Tharja in my playthrough was her daughter. Hated how rude she was to everyone else and she would never apologize.

Xenoflare

Wait, how do you see effects of supports? Until now I thought they had no gameplay effects in this game.

From hit/avoid/crit if you are using the full interface. The support bonuses are sort of implied instead of explicitly stated, at least that's what I'm seeing so far.

vkrili

I'm not gonna blame Tharja for abusing Noire, for the same reason I won't (Awakening)
blame Robin for ending the world. Because that wasn't them, it was a their potential future selves.

As for Faye, she's neato. Warp + Rescue makes her and Silque the lowkey MVPs of the entire campaign.

Totakeke

From hit/avoid/crit if you are using the full interface. The support bonuses are sort of implied instead of explicitly stated, at least that's what I'm seeing so far.

So I have to compare battle stats for a unit without support unit nearby and when there's support unit nearby?

Golnei

He won't look my way.
He won't look my way.
He won't look my way.
He won't look my way.

He still won't look my way.

PK Gaming

Faye is Tharja if she was a white mage instead of a black mage

Dunno

Tharja's obsession on Robin is light novel anime fodder. It's 100% played for laughs. Faye's obsession with Alm is decidedly more serious and tragic. There's no happy end for her, no "I'll just get over him." It's just... depressing.

Fun fact: Faye's supports with Alm lower her evasion, starting at -5 for C and ending at -15 for A.

This is the only support in the game that lowers a stat.

Fucking wow.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Faye is that cute girl you meet and become friends with who later reveals herself, slowly but surely, to be absolutely insane

RRockman

Banned
Hey real quick does Alm still *end/postgame spoliers*
get autocrit if he's next to Celica?
like that was cool in gaiden but I can see them nerfing that HARD.

Formless

I just lost a myrmidon in the Tower of Duma in Act 4

Can I revive him?

They took Celica away from me, now stuck with just Alm on the map

syncyes

Delthea's growths seem amazing, so I decided to promote her at 20. Totally worth it. She is wrecking face with the Mage Ring.

Top Bottom