• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia |OT|

Draxal

Some Hidari art of Alm and Celica that is used for Fire Emblem Cipher were sent to some of the Japanese Card Stores and posted on twitter as a result. (thanks to Kirie from SF who created the gallery)

YW98bNP.jpg

e2Gd01l.jpg

kxKRsS8.jpg

jlGv4GC.jpg

Weebos

Banned
Looks like the Deliverance DLC is out in Japan, does anybody know if the support conversations are added to the main campaign or just to the DLC missions?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Act 4, final Alm battle

I was SO relieved you only had to kill the boss. I think it was the first map in this game where you didn't have to rout the enemy entirely, and I definitely would NOT have been able to. Gold Knights, Barons and Bow Knights everywhere. Rudolf doesn't play games.

pariah164

Is it possible to get Blessed Lances in the Astral Temple DLC dungeon? I was watching someone play in Chapter 1 and they had a couple of them.

Nbz

Man, Clair is just TEARING through enemies for me. Gave her a Ridersbane and she now has the anti-terror skill, so she can basically insta-kill a huge portion of enemy types you come across in the game

Some thoughts after finishing act 3

- Map is simple which is refreshing after Fates but no much room for replayability.

- I dunno it's just bad luck or what developer do with RNG but I've been missing like 10 times 90+% hit so far.

- There's nothing more satisfying than seeing Mages with 1 hp left.

- I use Mila's turnwheel when a low level unit can't finish up boss because a higher lever unit trigger unnecessary crit but when a unit dies I completely forgot it exists and do soft reset every goddamn time.

- Witch's teleportation is bullshit though I'm not sure how it really work. I never see them use it more than once and I assume they target the one with lowest res.

Act 4, final Alm battle

I was SO relieved you only had to kill the boss. I think it was the first map in this game where you didn't have to rout the enemy entirely, and I definitely would NOT have been able to. Gold Knights, Barons and Bow Knights everywhere. Rudolf doesn't play games.

The music in that map is insane.

Looks like the Deliverance DLC is out in Japan, does anybody know if the support conversations are added to the main campaign or just to the DLC missions?

They are in-game I believe.

Is it possible to get Blessed Lances in the Astral Temple DLC dungeon? I was watching someone play in Chapter 1 and they had a couple of them.

It's possible. I got one for Celica's gang early.

Object drops

Click the dungeon link for enemy drops. Nothing really special though.

RRockman

Banned
Mathilda and Clive are great. Love how their supports are basically gushing about each other while Mathilda is off murdering people horribly. Their VO is fantastic.

I've finished the game on Hard just now (not post-game content), AMA.

Here you go.

Hey real quick does Alm still *end/postgame spoliers*
get autocrit if he's next to Celica?
like that was cool in gaiden but I can see them nerfing that HARD.

redcrayon

Some thoughts after finishing act 3

- Map is simple which is refreshing after Fates but no much room for replayability.

- I dunno it's just bad luck or what developer do with RNG but I've been missing like 10 times 90+% hit so far.

- There's nothing more satisfying than seeing Mages with 1 hp left.

- I use Mila's turnwheel when a low level unit can't finish up boss because a higher lever unit trigger unnecessary crit but when a unit dies I completely forgot it exists and do soft reset every goddamn time.

- Witch's teleportation is bullshit though I'm not sure how it really work. I never see them use it more than once and I assume they target the one with lowest res.
Just a thought-when missing attacks are you targeting enemies on defensive terrain tiles? They have pretty hefty penalties to hit.

Roman

Mathilda and Clive are great. Love how their supports are basically gushing about each other while Mathilda is off murdering people horribly. Their VO is fantastic.

Here you go.

Sorry, I didn't actively try this, but I did get a
crit in the end with Celica being close. Not sure if she was directly next to him.

I fully agree about Mathilda and Clive. My personal favorite couple in the game. Alm and Celica can't remotely compare.

Roman

Here you go.
I've tried this in the post-game with a generic enemy now and it didn't trigger a critical.

Clive is like

"TFW GF is 50x stronger than you and you don't care" the character

Not only does he not care, he actively supports her and calls her a valkyrie, which makes her love him even more in return. I love how their combat capabilities are acknowledged in-canon.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I might have liked the Mathilda/Clive pairing more if Clive's stats weren't so terrible compared to Mathilda. :p
Clive is the Makalov of this game. Completely unremarkable Cavalier unit.

On the other hand, Mathilda is the Seth/Titania. Might as well be a tank you're sending in. Her defense is kind of weak by comparison to other "mega units" like Hector/Seth/etc., but she's really good. Deen is my powerhouse on Celica's side.

RRockman

Banned
I've tried this in the post-game with a generic enemy now and it didn't trigger a critical.

Not only does he not care, he actively supports her and calls her a valkyrie, which makes her love him even more in return. I love how their combat capabilities are acknowledged in-canon.

Gah, so they did get nerfed then. That's fine if they get regular support buffs I guess.

Now that I think about it Alm and Celica are the most fun lords I've got to play as. I don't feel as worried using them as I did the other gba titles. They both come in consistently in my top two for the round results. I think in Alm's case being able to pick arts probably what pushes him over. I really hate the idea of arts or skills being random.

Lorcain

The # of dud growth rate level ups has started to become comical for my team. I'm trying to keep a good sense of humor about it. We're just unlucky. The voiced character reactions to only getting 1 pt at level up are pretty funny though.

When people say grinding, are they talking about going back into dungeons? I'm only a few hours into the game and those are the only places I've found with respawning enemies.

The # of dud growth rate level ups has started to become comical for my team. I'm trying to keep a good sense of humor about it. We're just unlucky. The voiced character reactions to only getting 1 pt at level up are pretty funny though.

When people say grinding, are they talking about going back into dungeons? I'm only a few hours into the game and those are the only places I've found with respawning enemies.
Enemies will begin spawning on the map later on.

Totakeke

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but with how the system works, a character with average growth rates across most stats is often far better than someone who has very unbalanced growth rates (some high, others low), even if they total up to be the same number, right?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but with how the system works, a character with average growth rates across most stats is often far better than someone who has very unbalanced growth rates (some high, others low), even if they total up to be the same number, right?

Depends on what the spread is, someone who hyper-specializes in atk/spd/def is ideal.

PsionBolt

The only grinding I bothered to do this time around was to get Est up to speed, and I did it by giving her a ring, plopping her near a Cantor, and hitting End Turn fifty times or so. Nowhere near as efficient as it could have been, I'm sure, but the convenience tops dungeon-running, IMO.

Totakeke

Depends on what the spread is, someone who hyper-specializes in atk/spd/def is ideal.

Yeah there's specific circumstances, but even a high atk/spd/def growth melee unit can be hampered by very low skill.

I guess what I'm getting at is that even if you had like 95% growth on a single stat, the maximum you get from it is still 1 per level, so unless the spread is just specifically right for the class of that character, generally characters with unbalanced growth rates aren't that good.

Yeah there's specific circumstances, but even a high atk/spd/def growth melee unit can be hampered by very low skill.

I guess what I'm getting at is that even if you had like 95% growth on a single stat, the maximum you get from it is still 1 per level, so unless the spread is just specifically right for the class of that character, generally characters with unbalanced growth rates aren't that good.
think of it more in terms of your expected growth over a spread of levels

if you have a 30% strength growth, you'll get .3 strength every level up. If you had a 50% strength growth, you'll get .5 strength every level up. The latter is obviously superior to the former and you want those growths ideally concentrated in the most important stats, attack/speed/defense.

syncyes

Beat the game on Hard/Classic~ I was more cautious with the final boss the second time around so it wasn't too bad, though it was still a very long fight.
I ended up only really using like, four characters to kill things: Saber and Kamui as tanky Dread Fighters, Alm with the ridiculous stats, Delthea with the ridiculous stats. Faye and Silque spammed Warp/Rescue, Silque and Genny spammed Invoke, and Mae/Boey/Kliff/Tatiana ran around healing everyone. I brought other fighters but they ended up either doing nothing or just running away from fights lmao.

Really enjoyed how polished the presentation of the game was (the animations are the best they've ever been) and the stellar localization. I don't think I'll replay it any time soon because Gaiden map design is Gaiden map design but while playing I enjoyed it more than I enjoyed Fates. Delthea was my MVP. A magical nuke that just got Warp/Rescued across the world to kill anything I pointed her at.
When her ending scroll said she stopped using magic I was like "noooo but you're so good at it! :("

Story wise, it was simple and very Fire Emblem esque, but the moment to moment plot points were executed decently and the VA was great so it was enjoyable to play through. The worldbuilding was much better than Awakening/Fates imo. However, I was pretty unhappy with
how Celica's entire side of the story went. She just kept making crappy decision after crappy decision, was there no way they could have worked in getting her where she needed to go without it becoming character assassination-esque?In Act 5, when Alm was like "you keep me wise Celica!" I was just like, how. How when she has been repeatedly making TERRIBLE DECISIONS. It's a shame because I really liked her design and how her character was getting built up to be in early Act 2. But in the end her side of the story just felt...very inconsequential :(

Roman

Story wise, it was simple and very Fire Emblem esque, but the moment to moment plot points were executed decently and the VA was great so it was enjoyable to play through. The worldbuilding was much better than Awakening/Fates imo. However, I was pretty unhappy with
how Celica's entire side of the story went. She just kept making crappy decision after crappy decision, was there no way they could have worked in getting her where she needed to go without it becoming character assassination-esque?In Act 5, when Alm was like "you keep me wise Celica!" I was just like, how. How when she has been repeatedly making TERRIBLE DECISIONS. It's a shame because I really liked her design and how her character was getting built up to be in early Act 2. But in the end her side of the story just felt...very inconsequential :(

I absolutely agree with everything in this spoiler. It was thoroughly disappointing.

Clive and Mathilda are among my favorites as well, specifically as a couple. I've been using Clive and building him up so as to be competent enough to stay a battlefield duo. And Faye is powered up like another Matilda as Golden Knight.

Act 4 ramping up the difficulty a bit with an interesting map here and there (
Nuibaba
esp). In general, I seem to like Alm's side better.

Each point of skill only adds one point of hit on physical units, so it's not much.

Actually here's the calculations for stuff in this game, maybe it should be added to OP:

Physical Hit = Weapon Hit + Skill
Physical Avoid = Attack Speed
Displayed Physical Hit = Physical Hit - (Enemy Physical Avoid + Enemy Terrain Bonus) + Combat Art/Support Effects
Magical Hit = Spell Hit + Floor[(Skill+Luck)/2]
Magical Avoid = Floor[(Speed+Luck)/2]
Displayed Magical Hit = Min[(Magical Hit - Enemy Magical Avoid), Spell Hit] + Support Effects
Crit = Weapon Crit + Floor[(Skill+Luck)/2]
Dodge = Floor(Luck/2)
Displayed Crit = (Crit - Enemy Dodge) + Combat Art/Support Effects

SolVanderlyn

Act 3 Celica:
Deen
or
Sonya
?
Deen is an absolute powerhouse, comparable to Gray/Mathilda on Alm's side for me. I also love his battle quotes. You can't go wrong with either, though.

Top Bottom