• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia |OT|

Clov

So, for those who have gotten farther in the game; I'm in the beginning right now. What classes would be good to promote my initial villagers to?

So, for those who have gotten farther in the game; I'm in the beginning right now. What classes would be good to promote my initial villagers to?

Faye - Pegasus Knight
Gray - Mercenary
Tobin - Archer
Kliff - Mage

is what I did.

Some people made Faye a Cleric and some made Tobin a Mage and Kliff an Archer instead.

Faye - Pegasus Knight
Gray - Mercenary
Tobin - Archer
Kliff - Mage

is what I did.

Some people made Faye a Cleric and some made Tobin a Mage and Kliff an Archer instead.

Mage Faye is also pretty awesome too. Magic damage is pretty useful in general, at least early on, and having multiple strong magic attackers can help break down enemy rushes.

Roman

There is a very useful video on this that I agree with. It thoroughly explains reasoning behind the choices made. Making Faye a Cleric and Gray a Mercenary are the easiest decisions.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Question: If you promote early, aside from the potential missed stats, do your 'cumulative levels' still affect your xp gain? I know it comes into play in later games, but am not sure if it's in play here.

Like, for example, if you go infinite with a dread fighter repeat, do the 10/10/10 (or w/e you do) levels start stacking up that slows down xp gain overall?

Or if you promote one of the soldiers to knight right away at 8 (and is now a level 1 knight), does he level up 'faster' compared to a soldier who waited to 15 and is now a level 1 knight?

Or is there no other downside to promoting early besides potential missed stats that aren't accounted for by the new bases? (aside from level 10+ in a class getting way less xp)

Wilsongt

Question: If you promote early, aside from the potential missed stats, do your 'cumulative levels' still affect your xp gain? I know it comes into play in later games, but am not sure if it's in play here.

Like, for example, if you go infinite with a dread fighter repeat, do the 10/10/10 (or w/e you do) levels start stacking up that slows down xp gain overall?

Or if you promote one of the soldiers to knight right away at 8 (and is now a level 1 knight), does he level up 'faster' compared to a soldier who waited to 15 and is now a level 1 knight?

Or is there no other downside to promoting early besides potential missed stats that aren't accounted for by the new bases? (aside from level 10+ in a class getting way less xp)

Based on what I have been seeing, I want to say EXP is based on "total level". Because trash mobs will only give about 10 EXP now when defeated depending. Also, it's better to promote ASAP than to wait. You might get a stat here or there, but growth rates are such trash in this game, that the boosts from promoting as welcome.

LeonSPBR

No downside as far as I noticed. And in SoV it's way better to promote ASAP.

Vamphuntr

Why are the stats growth so bad for everyone except Alm and Celica? Man Tobin and Faye suck they only get 1 stat up at level up all the time.

Linkark07

Banned
Dread Fighter Gray... Damn, dude is unstoppable. My villagers so far have turned into monsters. Add Mathilda and Delthea and my Alm team is devouring anything in their path.

Thought Celica team was superb. Changed my mind now. Alm team is better.

CSX

so how is everyone using the stat increase items and springs?

I'm just giving them all to Alm and Celica, creating absolute beasts of destruction that only have a weakness of low RES lol

EDIT : Holy shit, got to the chapter that the Fire Emblem Fates Witch DLC was based on :D

Golnei

Thinking back on act 2, that final conversation might have worked better if they portrayed it
less like an insistence from Celica that it would be easy to resolve things diplomatically, and something more like a demand for Zofia's retaliation to be halted until she was able to complete her task and commune with Mila. It'd make it seem more like Alm and Celica were prioritising their way of resolving the situation over the other's, and still keep the angle of Celica worrying that Alm's recklessness will get him (and his followers) killed.

Ninferno

Thinking back on act 2, that final conversation might have worked better if they portrayed it
less like an insistence from Celica that it would be easy to resolve things diplomatically, and something more like a demand for Zofia's retaliation to be halted until she was able to complete her task and commune with Mila. It'd make it seem more like Alm and Celica were prioritising their way of resolving the situation over the other's, and still keep the angle of Celica worrying that Alm's recklessness will get him (and his followers) killed.

That's indeed a better way of putting it. Or they can at the bare minimum, add some in-depth self-reflection monologue of sort before or after Act 2 to both of them (especially Celica) instead of the simple
"how did it end like that" mourning
, to provide some details in their respectively reasoning instead of letting us speculate on our own. For example, Celica is a deeply religious person, much more so than Alm. As she grew up in Novis, she probably heard nothing but Mila's teaching day in and day out. Mila's way could very well be the only way she knew. Also, she clearly has feeling for Alm so
her straightaway objection to Alm's "we will find the Zofian princess" and reluctance to reveal her identity could be due to the fact the she wants to be with Alm as commoners and she didn't know Alm's true lineage.
These are all legitimate reasons that could very well play into her reactions; Act 2's execution would not have felt as poor had these be reflected more clearly and explicitly.

Chase17

That Nuibaba fight was a pain.

I just needed to dodge the automatic being down to one hp spell lol.

Ended up with a lucky crit to bail me out a couple attempts in.

Didn't want to sacrifice anyone yet since that's what I usually cave and do in the final fight.

Xenoflare

One lore tidbit that bothers me a bit

Tatiana is Rigelian right? Doesn't it make her someone who at least branches off from a Duma sect? Yet she references Mila in her level up quotes, with that being said,
the Duma faithful are obviously evil, so I don't know what god the Rigelian clerics that are not evil or crazy worships

vkrili

One lore tidbit that bothers me a bit

the Duma faithful are obviously evil, so I don't know what god the Rigelian clerics that are not evil or crazy worships
Jedah and his crew are evil. Sage Halcyon is not, and he worships Duma. In fact, most Rigelians worship Duma. They just aren't completely coked up on his recent evil juice.

Xenoflare

Jedah and his crew are evil. Sage Halcyon is not, and he worships Duma. In fact, most Rigelians worship Duma. They just aren't completely coked up on his recent evil juice.

True,
Though I was under the assumption that the Duma sect is too far gone,
I'll chalk up Tatiana's quotes being a simple oversight

Dee Dee

Reporting in after just dipping my toes in Act 3.
I didn't realise this game would be comparatively short coming off of Fates. I suppose Prologues do that to a game, but this one has dungeons and side quests too.
Well, we'll see how my final hour count ranks.

Question: Is there a way to display a full map of a dungeon? Not just the small surrounding area window at the bottom screen?

Putting camera controls at the Dpad also makes the dungeon crawling tedious. L+R for horizontal controls should have been the way to go.

I ended up picking "Normal" as a difficulty which unfortunately meant that the game played itself for the first two acts.
Now I've hit my first difficult fight, which I messed up right at the start by not adjusting the positions.
It's the one against Epic Horn Guy, Lord Rustled Jimmies and a billion cavaliers.

syncyes

Final boss
just ragequit after Alm got medusa'd and chipped to death. I had been cautious up to that point (killing Jedah, warp/rescuing Delthea as she killed off all the conjurers) but I hadn't checked that one arcanist's spell and was stupidly like, "well I'm sure Alm can survive a hit from the arcanist + a few eyes, it'll be nbd!" now I have to do that longass map all over again ;;

redcrayon

Terrible writing at the start of Alm act three.

Lord sulked-off-in-a-huff is astounded at seeing the mark on Alm's hand, when in that cut scene (and every other one, and his character model), Alm is wearing black gloves and then plate over the top.
I appreciate these plot developments have to be simple and so have all the depth of a Saturday morning cartoon, but that's just ridiculous.

Ninferno

Final boss
just ragequit after Alm got medusa'd and chipped to death. I had been cautious up to that point (killing Jedah, warp/rescuing Delthea as she killed off all the conjurers) but I hadn't checked that one arcanist's spell and was stupidly like, "well I'm sure Alm can survive a hit from the arcanist + a few eyes, it'll be nbd!" now I have to do that longass map all over again ;;

Sorry for your lost hours.

This is exactly why I think people here are overstating how easy this game is a bit. While it certainly isn't hard by any standard, it does pick up in difficulty in the later maps. They still aren't really that hard but you do need to pay attention. Mila's turnwheel really comes in handy when we make mistakes but not when we are careless enough to lose one of the lords...

Roman

In Act 5 now and I can't stand Celica anymore.
She's extremely stupid, naive, and keeps hiding the truth for no reason.

Her side of the story is indeed getting to be Fates levels of dumb.

PsionBolt

You've really been liking her less and less as you go, huh? I can't say I agree with you that she's anywhere even in the same universe as Corrin. Sure, she's not the most reasonable person in the world, but she's not that dumb. She's just got a lot of weight on her mind, and is ill-prepared for it, so she makes several poor choices. Not everybody can be a straight-shooting shonen manga hero like Alm.

Roman

You've really been liking her less and less as you go, huh? I can't say I agree with you that she's anywhere even in the same universe as Corrin. Sure, she's not the most reasonable person in the world, but she's not that dumb. She's just got a lot of weight on her mind, and is ill-prepared for it, so she makes several poor choices. Not everybody can be a straight-shooting shonen manga hero like Alm.

Yes, she is that dumb. The consequences of her actions in Act 5 are obvious to anyone but herself.

RRockman

Banned
Reporting in after just dipping my toes in Act 3.
I didn't realise this game would be comparatively short coming off of Fates. I suppose Prologues do that to a game, but this one has dungeons and side quests too.
Well, we'll see how my final hour count ranks.

Question: Is there a way to display a full map of a dungeon? Not just the small surrounding area window at the bottom screen?

Putting camera controls at the Dpad also makes the dungeon crawling tedious. L+R for horizontal controls should have been the way to go.

I ended up picking "Normal" as a difficulty which unfortunately meant that the game played itself for the first two acts.
Now I've hit my first difficult fight, which I messed up right at the start by not adjusting the positions.
It's the one against Epic Horn Guy, Lord Rustled Jimmies and a billion cavaliers.

Did you have a n3ds? You can use the c-stick for camera. To tell you the truth I'm not sure about the map, I think its stuck like that.

Also I recommend making a defensive position so the enemies come to you so they are easy to manage. I know you can bait Berkut easy just by putting Alm in his effective range,
Ferdinand
the same way if you put
Clive
in his range too. just make sure Alm is in the woods before you do so, like he was untouchable in the woods for me.

Unfortunately I have no idea if you have enough strong units to make a defensive formation or if you got Alm's Double Lion, which both helped me plenty on this fight.

Taruranto

Yeah,
I have no problem with characters having flaws or making mistakes, but chapter 5 made me question how she's even allowed to lead.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Anyone else love how unabashedly old school the story is? I know cliche is often used as a point of criticism, but it's one of the things I find myself enjoying most about the game. It's straightforward high fantasy, right down to the art style and music. The great voicework makes me want to see all of the older titles like this, especially the Jugdral games.

Also, Alm's Theme remix by Dominic Ninmark

Draxal

Anyone else love how unabashedly old school the story is? I know cliche is often used as a point of criticism, but it's one of the things I find myself enjoying most about the game. It's straightforward high fantasy, right down to the art style and music. The great voicework makes me want to see all of the older titles like this, especially the Jugdral games.

Also, Alm's Theme remix by Dominic Ninmark

I didn't mind Alms, but Roman's rantings have me concerned about Celica's arc.

I didn't like the argument in ACT 2's ending, it could have been handled so much better.

In Act 5 now. I just want to reiterate that the voice acting in this game is excellent, particularly Alm and Berkut.

I really want Berkut's VA for Sigurd now.

CSX

That Nuibaba fight was a pain.

I just needed to dodge the automatic being down to one hp spell lol.

Ended up with a lucky crit to bail me out a couple attempts in.

Didn't want to sacrifice anyone yet since that's what I usually cave and do in the final fight.

I got extremely lucky and bumrushed Clair and she landed a crit lol but other enemies were too occupied trying to kill phantom units that I summoned instead of ganging up on her

dawgparty

Does difficulty amp up in this? I'm still in Chapter 1 Normal/Classic so still really early but I've been grinding a bit(habit) and Faye is taking everyone on with no issues. Only ranged guys cause me any worry at all.

TannerDemoz

Does difficulty amp up in this? I'm still in Chapter 1 Normal/Classic so still really early but I've been grinding a bit(habit) and Faye is taking everyone on with no issues. Only ranged guys cause me any worry at all.

I'm finding the game a hell of a lot easier than any other FF game I've played so far (I'm playing on the same difficulty)

No major problems yet, other than sometimes getting my pegasus knights done in by archers if I get pre-emptively attacked by someone on the world map and end up in an encounter.

Weebos

Banned

Some of the later maps are pretty complicated. I'm playing on Hard and they were a decent challenge. Nothing too bad yet though, and it leans more towards "tons of bullshit" than "thoughtful strategy". Game amps up when you start seeing Cantors.

Game amps up when you start seeing Cantors.

Holy crap do I hate Cantors. Wave after wave of non trivial enemies. This game is less about a variety of strategic challenges than it is about brute force. I'm dearly glad I went with no permadeath mode or I'd be tearing my hair out. That said, I'm still enjoying it more than two thirds of FE Fates if only because I don't hate the story and half the characters thus far.

So, is anyone else's Saber OP? I know he's not considered one of the best sword wielding units but sitting here in (chapter 3 or 4 I think) with Saber as a dread fighter with the Blessed Sword and he's the guy who clears the maps and is practically unkillable. I don't think I'd get through the damned Cantor waves without him. I just send him out on his own to chew a hole through them.

Some of the later maps are pretty complicated. I'm playing on Hard and they were a decent challenge. Nothing too bad yet though, and it leans more towards "tons of bullshit" than "thoughtful strategy". Game amps up when you start seeing Cantors.

Cantors do suck, they are very annoying. Witches depending on where they randomly teleport can be a pain if they teleport behind your army and gank your healer.

Totakeke

Holy crap do I hate Cantors. Wave after wave of non trivial enemies. This game is less about a variety of strategic challenges than it is about brute force. I'm dearly glad I went with no permadeath mode or I'd be tearing my hair out. That said, I'm still enjoying it more than two thirds of FE Fates if only because I don't hate the story and half the characters thus far.

So, is anyone else's Saber OP? I know he's not considered one of the best sword wielding units but sitting here in (chapter 3 or 4 I think) with Saber as a dread fighter with the Blessed Sword and he's the guy who clears the maps and is practically unkillable. I don't think I'd get through the damned Cantor waves without him. I just send him out on his own to chew a hole through them.

I'm in Act 3 and Cantors hasn't really bothered me so far. The monsters they spawn are good for training up low attack characters or to train up weapon arts. The difficulty has been satisfying enough in Act 3.

My Saber is a level 10 Myrmidon and has 17 natural defense. It's crazy.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I didn't mind Alms, but Roman's rantings have me concerned about Celica's arc.

I didn't like the argument in ACT 2's ending, it could have been handled so much better.

I really want Berkut's VA for Sigurd now.
Celica makes some dumb decisions, but it's not as bad as those rants would have you believe. Certainly nowhere near Fates levels of weird plot contrivances. Not as bad as Luna in FFXV. Not enough to drag down the overall plot for me.

The story is really great when you realize it's an NES game with some holes filled in and some added exposition. I went it with low standards and am blown away by how enjoyable it's been.

Top Bottom