• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia |OT|

RRockman

Banned
Did I goof starting this in Classic mode? I've played the past few in Classic and have beaten SS and FE7 but my time is way more limited.precious now so I don't want to spend a ton of time retreading ground. I've heard that this game is super brutal on Classic due to the way the enemies spawn.

Save after EVERY major event/dungeon. There were times I lost characters due to ambushes on the world map because I forgot about Alm's team while playing as Celica and he got hit with an enemy group. You don't decide where your troop members end up, and more often then not, your weakest characters are the closest to the enemies. The world marches on when you are playing either character so you have to be wary when to wait and when is the best time to move.

ChrisD

There might have been, but the game is still very new so it's not that harmful for people to be a bit more cautious.

The problem is that things aren't labeled. Is something from Act 1 in spoilers, or from the final hour?

This is a problem with all of NeoGAF. Even Persona 5, a game that operates on a calendar system, had people labeling poorly.

Zafir

Coming off of Persona 5 to this has been causing me double takes constantly so far. My favorites and what made me actually laugh out loud was hearing Sojiro as the Rigelian Emperor and then the SIU Director as Nomah.

Then you have Ryuji as Gray, Akechi as Tobin and Shido as Saber and the rabbit hole never ends.

Yeah, that stuff was driving me up the wall really. The localisation is fantastic but coming from Persona 5 (especially considering I did two whole playthroughs of it for the plat) and some other stuff which I've played/watched these past two months(Nier Automata/Sailor Moon Crystal) it's been quite jarring hearing the same voices yet again, lol.

Roman

The writing on Celica's route keeps getting worse.

Near end of Act 4 spoilers:
At least she apologized to Alm for her behavior at the castle, but everything involving Conrad is badly written and turns her into a damsel in distress. Even approaching Duma's Tower she still refuses to tell Saber and the party about her deal with Jedah, even though she's talking to him about it in battle. The fact that she's even considering striking a deal with such a comically evil looking character is laughable.

Hey all, still real early in Act 1 but I'm currently grinding in the Shrine area. What do you all recommend promoting the Villagers to? I promoted Gray to Mercenary but not really sure where I should go after that. Thinking Archer for Tobin, Mage for Kliff and Cleric for Faye.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I don't think
Conrad
is necessarily poorly written.
He is very underutilized, but IIRC he wasn't in the original game, so he's more like a bonus addition? Even if he isn't, it's clear they wanted to do the masked knight trope for coolness' sake, but the execution falls flat after the reveal. He's not offensive, just bland.

Is there any solid advice on how to use the stat fountains? Should they be used immediately or saved? Should you concentrate stat ups on a small group of people or spread around? Any stats not worth it to upgrade over the other (like health vs speed at the first one?)

anyone on this?

Golnei

I don't think
Conrad
is necessarily poorly written.
He is very underutilized, but IIRC he wasn't in the original game, so he's more like a bonus addition? Even if he isn't, it's clear they wanted to do the masked knight trope for coolness' sake, but the execution falls flat after the reveal. He's not offensive, just bland.

His actual dialogue doesn't have to be badly written for the character itself and the usage thereof to be to the game's detriment.

Draxal

I must say there's a lot of terrible usage of the spoiler tags here. I can't tell what's being spoiled in most of them.

Just to clarify here.

When you're using spoilers. Please say what act you're in (and since the acts get longer you might want to say what time in the battle you're in)

So for example,

Early Act 3 Celica Spoilers
SIGURD IS THE BESTEST LORD
and
asdfasldkfja;lsdjfa;ljf;lasjfdasd;lkfja;sldjf;lasjfds;lf

PK Gaming

Kliff as an archer feels like a waste, my mage Kliff is literally one of my strongest units, I can give him a regen ring and drop him the middle of the enemy group and he's basically indestructible. He literally almost soloed chapter 5's final map for me.

Also this whole option to reclass Dread Fighters into Villagers feels super broken. <_<

OWULQfk.jpg

Kliff sucking as a mage is an obnoxious claim propagated by people who mindlessly follow the opinion of this one user. Granted, the user in question is one of the nicest and most knowledgeable people I know when it comes to FE, and he's technically right from an efficiency perspective (Kliff struggles to double early on hard, while the others snowball), but it's such a non-factor in practice. Chapter 1 is mindlessly easy, even on Hard. There are no advanced strategies, most of your units have low movement so fights are slow as fuck, and enemy units are stupid weak, so who really gives a shit if Kliff can't double initially? He picks off weakened enemies (which should plentiful) and slowly grows from there. Tobin is a lot better in the short term, but again, who cares about playing this game efficiently when it's so shallow? Like, I'm in chapter 3 and fighting 2 AS mages and slow as soldiers. This isn't Radiant Dawn, leveling Kliff and making him useful is trivial.

Wilsongt

Kliff and Gray just murder everything left and right.

Also, got best sister Catria last night, as well as Palla.

Fools be dead now.

Hylian7

Leon, act 2, support conversations:
Am I misunderstanding this or is he gay? I have had the two support conversations, one where he said he has no interest in attracting women, and another where the other guy says "Are you hitting on me?" and Leon said "You're not my type", and it didn't seem to be in a sarcastic or joking tone of voice. Is he actually gay or is this just a Persona 5 Yusuke ambiguous context/localization thing?

Am I misunderstanding this or is he gay? I have had the two support conversations, one where he said he has no interest in attracting women, and another where the other guy says "Are you hitting on me?" and Leon said "You're not my type", and it didn't seem to be in a sarcastic or joking tone of voice. Is he actually gay or is this just a Persona 5 Yusuke ambiguous context/localization thing?

It's not ambiguous at all in some of the conversations. It's exactly what you think it is.

R0ckman

Yes, he is. He wasn't in the orginal if I remember, but he hardly had a personality, so they retconned him.

Golnei

They could absolutely have held back on the amount that appear on the world map - especially since you're doing dungeons alongside them and the main maps aren't particularly amazing.

A better mix of enemy groups that move towards you and groups that occupy a single space on the map, with the former's frequency either decreased or made more random, could have helped them be less annoying.

Erheller

Is there any solid advice on how to use the stat fountains? Should they be used immediately or saved? Should you concentrate stat ups on a small group of people or spread around? Any stats not worth it to upgrade over the other (like health vs speed at the first one?)

Stat fountains:

Use them immediately, and focus them on the units that you think will have long-term potential.

For speed, you want to boost units to a speed threshold. I think cavs in hard mode chapter 1 have 6-7 speed and soldiers have 5, so any units you want to use will probably need 6 speed minimum, or up to 8 speed. Remember to factor in weapon weight or spell weight. So an Alm with a steel sword (1 wt) would need 9 speed (9-1=8) to double those 7 speed cavaliers (not that he should need the fountain boost).

Sticking Attack on Silque and/or Faye is surprisingly good, since it gets you extra range on Rescue and Warp. Genny doesn't really benefit from ATK, unfortunately, since she doesn't have either of those two spells (I mean Expel is sorta nice I guess but eh I'd rather stick the attack on someone who needs it)

Golnei

Yes, he is. He wasn't in the orginal if I remember, but he hardly had a personality, so they retconned him.

Like Nuibaba being a woman, it was more just something that wasn't stated in the original, as opposed to Echoes contradicting something established in Gaiden outright.

Yeah, he straight up says that he's in love with Valmar in at least one conversation

He also explicitly mentions falling in love with a man in a base conversation.

R0ckman

Thanks guys.

That's pretty cool to see them do that.

I think this game actually has the best overall unit writing, and the set up for the game where you explore and recruit in more ways than just the battefield helps give life to the world and characters. I love how Atlas is just this mountain villager who is just is a family guy who joins up and is all casual about the sistuation based on the convos.

Golnei

I like how he doesn't fit the anime gay stereotypes.

He's...pretty camp.

But it's never played out as a joke at his expense, and the game as a whole views him quite respectfully (no sexual assault / pedophilia jokes etc.) so being stereotypical isn't really a bad thing in this case.

I think this game actually has the best overall unit writing, and the set up for the game where you explore and recruit in more ways than just the battefield helps give life to the world and characters. I love how Atlas is just this mountain villager who is just is a family guy who joins up and is all casual about the sistuation based on the convos.

That's why it'd have been nice if they extended the support conversations a little more - not to the extent of giving everyone full C-B-A supports with everyone else, but a few more C-only conversations with characters would have been appreciated, to get some more interactions between the cast. Poor Silque only gets to have a one-sided conversation with Faye...

Taruranto

He's definitely flamboyant (And I think his Japanese speech is more feminine, but don't quote me on that), but he isn't portrayed negatively or has the creepy traits generally associated with these kind of characters, which was refreshing.

For someone with two supports I do find him kinda boring, though. (Ending spoiler)
I wish they had him move on and get with someone else in the ending, since pretty much everyone (even Faye!) finds new love.
Niles' ending with Corrin felt much more ballsy.

That's why it'd have been nice if they extended the support conversations a little more - not to the extent of giving everyone full C-B-A supports with everyone else, but a few more C-only conversations with characters would have been appreciated, to get some more interactions between the cast. Poor Silque only gets to have a one-sided conversation with Faye...

The supports are really bad in the game imo, it's not even a matter of "quality over quantity". Genny literally doesn't have a support if you don't recruit
Sonya
(Who's missable). Lukas only has a support with Clive (unless you buy the DLC...) Saber doesn't have a support with Celica, Kliff only gets one with Tobin, etc

It's mitigated a bit by the fact you can talk to characters in towns, so technically Alm and Celica have supports with everyone, but side characters' interactions are really lacking.

The real question is if Python is:

VXgwZxu.png

yCHMAyR.png

Wilsongt

When you're working 34 characters, it's a lot easier to write them with better personalities when you have all of the bases and villages on the map to stop. Compared to say 50 - 70 in most Fire Emblems which just have battles back to back.

R0ckman

He's...pretty camp.

But it's never played out as a joke at his expense, and the game as a whole views him quite respectfully (no sexual assault / pedophilia jokes etc.) so being stereotypical isn't really a bad thing in this case.

I thought Faye was too tongue n cheeky for the out of luck child hood friend with a crush. Was just brutal too, obsessed with Alm and doesn't beat around the bush, still gets rejected, and its very awkwardly done.

Why the hell does she ask him to stay in the village, its out of character, wouldn't she rather stay with him no matter where he goes? Although it probably was a test, in the back of her mind she probably knew it wouldn't work out, so made a wacky confession that would directly make him decide if he wanted to stay with her forever.

He's...pretty camp.

I feel like nowadays writers avoid "feminine" gay characters because they don't wanna stereotype gay people, and while I can't blame them it's also ridiculous to pretend that every gay man falls into the hypermasculine box. Gender non-conforming men and women exist and they can be gay, and I think Leon is a fairly decent example of one.

I am about half way through Act 3 and I got to say the production values when it comes to the characters and their support conversations is really top notch. All the characters for the most part talk and act like well real people compared to the stereotype characters we got in Fates and Awakening. Not to say there are still stereotype characters (I am looking at you Faye). It is unfortunate that the maps are just copied and pasted from Gaiden because those large field maps are just dull. I am still having a blast playing this and Echoes is definitely my favorite out of the three 3DS games thus far.

dawgparty

I feel like nowadays writers avoid "feminine" gay characters because they don't wanna stereotype gay people, and while I can't blame them it's also ridiculous to pretend that every gay man falls into the hypermasculine box. Gender non-conforming men and women exist and they can be gay, and I think Leon is a fairly decent example of one.

I agree with this. It seems like most of the people who applaud gay characters who aren't "stereotypical" aren't gay themselves and it kind of makes it seem like someone being effeminate is negative. I think the big issue is when they make a character obnoxious, grating, and predatory. The femininity isn't the problem there. Luckily Leon is written well imo.

Linkark07

Banned
He's definitely flamboyant (And I think his Japanese speech is more feminine, but don't quote me on that), but he isn't portrayed negative or has the creepy traits generally associated with these kind of characters, which was refreshing.
Indeed, in the Japanese version Leon uses atashi, a feminine pronoun.

I agree with this. It seems like most of the people who applaud gay characters who aren't "stereotypical" aren't gay themselves and it kind of makes it seem like someone being effeminate is negative. I think the big issue is when they make a character obnoxious, grating, and predatory. The femininity isn't the problem there. Luckily Leon is written well imo.
true, what I was referring to was the 2 gay guys in persona 5. Perhaps I should have worded it better.

I don't care about the whole feminity stuff. It doesn't bother me. But what you mention is prob what i should have stated originally.

syncyes

Celica Act 4

Duma Tower was fun. I went through it in one sitting. It was the first time I'd felt tension or anxiety in this game since I couldn't save till I'd made my way up to the top.

Xenoflare

I thought Faye was too tongue n cheeky for the out of luck child hood friend with a crush. Was just brutal too, obsessed with Alm and doesn't beat around the bush, still gets rejected, and its very awkwardly done.

Why the hell does she ask him to stay in the village, its out of character, wouldn't she rather stay with him no matter where he goes? Although it probably was a test, in the back of her mind she probably knew it wouldn't work out, so made a wacky confession that would directly make him decide if he wanted to stay with her forever.

Wow I mean

That's some grim outlook for Faye, I just thought deep down she wanted to live together with Alm with a normal life at Ram village. She says something among the lines of "if you see Alm please tell him that he always has a home here at Ram" if you recruit her with Celica, yes you can do that

There is a part of Faye that wants to live a normal life if you look hard enough from some of the tidbits in the game, too bad IS went for that Alm obsession instead of the former. Plus, Alm's rejection gets him high in the "stereotypical JRPG protag" list since he has then decency to say no even when his opponent in this case is clearly deranged.

I like Leon and it's nice to not have him being a target of cheap jokes [ahem Persona 5] his ending line is sad but positive nonetheless.

Python has another great line from his memory prism without Forsyth if taken out of context
Slap my butt and call me a rented mule

Wow I mean

That's some grim outlook for Faye, I just thought deep down she wanted to live together with Alm with a normal life at Ram village. She says something among the lines of "if you see Alm please tell him that he always has a home here at Ram" if you recruit her with Celica, yes you can do that

There is a part of Faye that wants to live a normal life if you look hard enough from some of the tidbits in the game, too bad IS went for that Alm obsession instead of the former. Plus, Alm's rejection gets him high in the "stereotypical JRPG protag" list since he has then decency to say no even when his opponent in this case is clearly deranged.

I like Leon and it's nice to not have him being a target of cheap jokes [ahem Persona 5] his ending line is sad but positive nonetheless.

Python has another great line from his memory prism without Forsyth if taken out of context
Slap my butt and call me a rented mule

I have gotten the C and B support conversations between Alm and Faye and damn I feel bad for both sides. Faye is over obsessed with Alm while Alm does not have the heart to outright say to Faye that he is not in love with her or is doing the typical aloof Protagonist to a girl's feelings trope. Python and Forsyth conversations are fantastic same with Tobin and Gray. I am assuming in the A conversation Alm tells Faye the truth at least I hope.

LeonSPBR

Damn Gray and Clair support... Clair is pure savage on Gray, and Faye truly creep me with the Alm obsession. Far worse than Tharja.

Roman

I have gotten the C and B support conversations between Alm and Faye and damn I feel bad for both sides. Faye is over obsessed with Alm while Alm does not have the heart to outright say to Faye that he is not in love with her or is doing the typical aloof Protagonist to a girl's feelings trope. Python and Forsyth conversations are fantastic same with Tobin and Gray. I am assuming in the A conversation Alm tells Faye the truth at least I hope.

Answer to the bolded:
He does tell her no. Not exactly to this question but she gets the message.

I have now finished Celica's route in Act 4 and her part of the story has reached an abysmal level. It's really disappointing.

Erheller

Fun fact: Faye's supports with Alm lower her evasion, starting at -5 for C and ending at -15 for A.

This is the only support in the game that lowers a stat.

backlot

Damn Gray and Clair support... Clair is pure savage on Gray, and Faye truly creep me with the Alm obsession. Far worse than Tharja.

Yeah, even her supports with other characters are still all about Alm. I don't remember any of Tharja's supports being that bad.

Top Bottom