• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Zolo

In Awakening, most of the romance would occur in the S-rank. I got everyone to A supports with each other besides my desired S ranks, and so they were all friends with each other in those supports. It just shouldn't be an S if it's platonic, it defeats the purpose IMO. Especially since a lot seem to be changed from the Japanese verison

Yeah. I actually agree with this. A-rank's already basically the best friends forever rank. S-rank is basically the confession scene. Makes it a bit weirder as well since it'd still only be male/female friendships.

Luigi87

If you have the SE edition, I believe the answer is the bonuses are already unlocked. So no, you don't lose anything playing chapter by chapter.

That's just my understanding though.

Thanks, that's what I'm hoping. I just think it would be an interesting way to play Birthright and Conquest.

Shun

The game has a new support mechanic where you become best friends and it's A+. The thing with those is that the A+ doesn't have a dialogue or scene. At least you're still getting it and you can still S and A+ support...

Hugstable

Banned
Hey on Classic during the beginning levels before the choice, if a character dies in battle during this time do they come back or are they done for good? Just had Felicia get whacked in Chapter 3 but the text made it sound like she wasn't gone for good. I don't mind restarting the chapter, but I ended up getting a few good stats for my main character and if the classic deaths don't start at this point then I don't have to restart lol.

Shun

Hey on Classic during the beginning levels before the choice, if a character dies in battle during this time do they come back or are they done for good? Just had Felicia get whacked in Chapter 3 but the text made it sound like she wasn't gone for good. I don't mind restarting the chapter, but I ended up getting a few good stats for my main character and if the classic deaths don't start at this point then I don't have to restart lol.

For the first 6 chapters, just move on and get to the actual decision at chapter 6. If they die in the tutorial, leave them be.

Then make new save which starts directly from Chapter 6 and you get all your stuff back.

Really get through the tutorial so you never have to again.

Yeah, this is honestly a change for the better. I can see the argument for making S-ranks strictly romantic because of the 1-per-unit limit, but Awakening and Fates were badly lacking in opposite-gender friendships.

Agreed. It's completely refreshing to see a support like Hisame/F!Kana again. Plus, and this is me speculating again S-supports for everyone extending to platonic friendships or romantic relationships would just give everyone more writing in general, and that's not a bad thing at all.

Hugstable

Banned
For the first 6 chapters, just move on and get to the actual decision at chapter 6. If they die in the tutorial, leave them be.

Then make new save which starts directly from Chapter 6 and you get all your stuff back.

Really get through the tutorial so you never have to again.

So I'm guessing my level ups during this tutorial section don't really matter then? I ended up getting alot of levels on Chapter 3 just now, and after having bad RNG for my first 2 levels I ended up getting a few +HP +STR +DEF +SPD level ups. I got good RNG, I never get good RNG!

So I'm guessing my level ups during this tutorial section don't really matter then? I ended up getting alot of levels on Chapter 3 just now, and after having bad RNG for my first 2 levels I ended up getting a few +HP +STR +DEF +SPD level ups. I got good RNG, I never get good RNG!

No they definitely do matter, Corrin keeps his/her stats.

GSR

If I start male instead of female, is there any difference? In birthright that is.

Who you can marry, and which of Felicia/Jakob will join early and which will join late. (Felicia joins early if male, Jakob if female.)

Draxal

If I start male instead of female, is there any difference? In birthright that is.

You get Felicia instead of Jakob earlier. Felicia has more caster orientated stats compared to Jakob's more bulky offensive stats. Jakob can reclass to Great Knight early for a good tankish character.

Rainy

Banned
Who you can marry, and which of Felicia/Jakob will join early and which will join late. (Felicia joins early if male, Jakob if female.)

You get Felicia instead of Jakob earlier. Felicia has more caster orientated stats compared to Jakob's more bulky offensive stats. Jakob can reclass to Great Knight early for a good tankish character.

Thanks for the quick responses!

I'm trying to buy Conquest now that I've downloaded Birthright and the eshop is giving me trouble. I'm sort of surprised there are so many people buying this as soon as it goes up!

pariah164

I am gonna duck out of the OT until my SE arrives; I'll be too tempted to click spoilers, and add that to the first six chapters being fair game... Yeah. See you guys Wednesday, if not earlier.

GSR

To the people that have finished the game, would you say that the story is great or just serviceable ?

Serviceable with some twists and developments that plunge straight into either "so bad it's good" or "so bad it's bad" depending on how you feel about them.

jackal27

Banned
Oh man you guys are getting me so hyped to pick up me SE at Gamestop tomorrow.

Today I found out that I reserved the day before the cutoff! #clutch

oh yeah, amazon shipped my se

course they went with ups so i probably won't get it tomorrow so cause they'll probably try and deliver it at bloody 8 pm

Three/four chapters in. So far I like Robin more than Corrin in personality. But maybe it's because I made my Robin an older man so he seemed so tired of shit and cynical a lot of the time.

But still too soon to judge I guess.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
(Rhajat spoiler, I guess?)Wait, seriously, they
uni-sexed Rhajat's dialogue?

What. The. Fuck.

Is it the same for Niles?

Prax

Maybe this is all for the better.. ....

Has anyone reviewed and confirmed how "true" Treehouse's localization to the original is? I am kind of hoping Treehouse managed to perform a miracle and make it so bad it's good. Just really mess with everything!

The S-rank platonic stuff/rejections is a step in the right direction. I love that.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

On one hand, I can kind of understand, given the 'but we're both women/men' aspect of the conversation, and how that could be misconstrued.

On the other, having things actually be different yet meaningful was something that further increased the 'yes we are taking this seriously', or at least an attempt to do so.

Regressing back to the standard 'overlap' between sexes feels....lazy.

Noirulus

Man, its been many years since i played an SRPG so I'm rusty but hard mode is fucking hard. Feels hella unfair when your side characters can die in two hits from a weak enemy. Guess I have to switch to normal.

Okay seems like there's a load of information that's out, I think I probably get why Shara and Niles was panned a bit more.

There were apparently always unisex.

False alarm. I guess my memory was a bit off.

Pau

Man, its been many years since i played an SRPG so I'm rusty but hard mode is fucking hard. Feels hella unfair when your side characters can die in two hits from a weak enemy. Guess I have to switch to normal.
You'll need to babysit the weaker characters. They might turn into gods later so it's worth it.

You'll need to babysit the weaker characters. They might turn into gods later so it's worth it.
This is not actually true at all in Fire Emblem. With a few exceptions, units that are good are useful from recruitment. Unless a character has a unique trait that others don't (for instance, having strong 1-2 range combat and durability at the same time) then the investment to make the strong can just be applied to a unit who is already strong to make them better.

Top Bottom