• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Finally have free time to play the game today... I'm only in first 10 minutes (tutorial stage I guess?) but the voice acting is sooooo bad that it's killing my ears. I'm hoping there is mute option

I don't understand the desire to adhere to not only the names but the spelling of names, in English, decided on by the Japanese developers for the Japanese product.

So my brother works at GameStop and let me know that they aren't even getting enough Special Editions to cover all of their pre-orders.. So if you're worried about getting yours you may want to shoot them a phone call tomorrow or get up early to make sure get one even if it was pre-ordered. Just a warning.

EDIT: nvm Seems to be a well known issue already.

Kinsei

Banned
I would never touch it with a 50,000 foot pole.

That's fine. Just like casual and phoenix mode it doesn't have to be for everybody.

Considering the popularity of Ironman in X-COM I think there would be a lot of people that would try it out.

That's fine. Just like casual and phoenix mode it doesn't have to be for everybody.

Considering the popularity of Ironman in X-COM I think there would be a lot of people that would try it out.

I play with phoenix

Because just like Tenacious D, who are just like the phoenix and my troops will RI-EEEEE-ISE AGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIN

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Okay,so if I play as a girl, which girl can I enter a gay romance with while still leaving enough pairs to get all the kids.

Missing characters in these games kill me. And now I have to worry about stuff like that and making sure to capture bosses. :(

I don't understand the desire to adhere to not only the names but the spelling of names, in English, decided on by the Japanese developers for the Japanese product.

yeah, seems awfully silly that characters in a nation based on japan with japanese names shouldn't keep their names sounding like their home nation

Okay,so if I play as a girl, which girl can I enter a gay romance with while still leaving enough pairs to get all the kids.

Missing characters in these games kill me. And now I have to worry about stuff like that and making sure to capture bosses. :(

none, because the gay options don't give you kids

Kinsei

Banned

None because Corrin has a kid.

GSR

The bad news is that if you go for the gay or lesbian romances, you lose Corrin's kid, no ifs ands or buts. The good news is that since the lesbian character is a second-generation character anyway, you don't have to worry about losing a kid from a possible marriage from her.

Watch Da Birdie

none, because the gay options don't give you kids

Oh, I get it, so the missable character would be the Avatar's kid if you don't have enough mates to go around or marry a same-sex partner...but since it's based on husbands this time around, female Avatar and another female wouldn't mess up any other kid, right?

Maybe they should've just left out Avatar Kid this time around to not discourage gay marriage. Seems it sort of pushes perfectionist going the heteronormative route.

There's a mode in XCOM like that, right?

Ironman.

Difference is X COM has fail states attached outside of immediate battles, specifically with the Avatar Project reaching completion being the true "Game Over." FE would need some changes to really work with Ironman, otherwise you're basically just doing a never lose ever playthrough. I mean if your protag dies that's basically it, which sounds like something I'd get annoyed with kinda fast personally (and that's coming from someone who plays stuff like Path of Exile on permadeath mode ONLY).

ffdgh

Oh, I get it, so the missable character would be the Avatar's kid if you don't have enough mates to go around or marry a same-sex partner...but since it's based on husbands this time around, female Avatar and another female wouldn't mess up any other kid, right?

Maybe they should've just left out Avatar Kid this time around to not discourage gay marriage. Seems it sort of pushes perfectionist going the heteronormative route.

eh you'd lose 2 kids for the male option in conquest instead of one.
female corrin still has a kid tied to her like Azura.

Kinsei

Banned

Corrin has a kid no matter the gender you are.

So i dont know whether to get birthright or conquest. Ive only played FE:A and beat it on hard on casual.

i would say go with birthright since its more inline with awakening and gives u a lot of freedom more than conquest

if you want something more challenging and more in line with some of the older games conquest might be fun

Watch Da Birdie

Is Conquest as hard as the classic games though, or "closer" to them?

Like I can barely get through the early chapters of Sacred Stones.

donny2112

Awesome OP! Just 2 hours to go!

Like I can barely get through the early chapters of Sacred Stones.

I don't understand why Sacred Stones is considered a classically hard FE. You could grind in battles to up your levels as much as you want. Was nothing like the first GBA one (talking U.S. only here) where your only chance at grinding was the risk-it-all Arenas.

ryseing

Who can a male Corrin marry that won't cause one of the other males not to have a partner (hence no child). Second generation obviously but are there any others?

GSR

Who can a male Corrin marry that won't cause one of the other males not to have a partner (hence no child). Second generation obviously but are there any others?

On Conquest,
Flora
. Not sure about Birthright or Rev. And let's be honest, you're not getting all the kids on Conquest.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

Yeah it's pretty lame. :(

Awesome OP! Just 2 hours to go!

I don't understand why Sacred Stones is considered a classically hard FE. You could grind in battles to up your levels as much as you want. Was nothing like the first GBA one (talking U.S. only here) where your only chance at grinding was the risk-it-all Arenas.

nobody considers Sacred Stones a hard game lol

ffdgh

Renia(birthright)
Flora(conquest)
Scarlet(Birthright)
Anna(DLC/Both)

Down side is that he's the only one they can support aside from the second one.

Watch Da Birdie

Nah, Sacred Stones is hard to me---I never got to the part where it opens up and you can grind because the early chapters seem to kick my ass. Like that one with the spiders...

I remember finding Fire Emblem GCN easier, though I didn't realize Titania was a crutch character and had her kill everyone.

ryseing

Renia(birthright)
Flora(conquest)
Scarlet(Birthright)
Anna(DLC/Both)

Down side is that he's the only one they can support aside from the second one.

Gotcha. Thank you. Will be bookmarking this post. I want to try to do an all kids run for my first time playing Birthright so this will be very helpful. I basically have the female second gen+ the above mentioned to choose from then.
I already bought the DLC and will probably go Anna since I didn't in Awakening due to fear of losing a kid.

taoofjord

So I pre-ordered Conquest a while back but decided I want to start with Birthright. Can I just immediately download the DLC for Birthright on my Conquest cartridge and play that first?

Nachos

So, I've been hearing a lot of reports from people on other boards who got their hands on this early that Treehouse's localization job of this was absolutely *horrible* compared to 8-4's efforts with Awakening.
People have been making a bigger deal of the final bullet point than there should be, reading more into it than there actually is. All actors are kept in the dark for character-based VO prior to actually getting into the studio. For auditions, the actor's given a side (character name, description, 2–4 sample lines, and maybe a character image). If selected, the actor gets something like 20 minutes of prep time upon arriving at the studio, and then dives straight into the session.

The only people with a greater context and understanding of the story are the writers, if they're on staff for things like rewrites and the actual voice director, meaning that the overall strength of the production is usually contingent upon them. Since the actors usually record in isolation, the direction is essential for making sure things turn out well and that, even if the lines are well-acted, they actually fit together with everything else emotion-wise.

That goes for all games, pretty much, even the big-budget ones. This itself isn't some failing on Treehouse's part. Provided all things gel together, you shouldn't be able to tell that the actors might not even know who half the other characters exist. That's why cold reading as a skill is emphasized in VO much more than in other professional acting fields, because the everything's so fast-paced.

There's a lot to criticize the overall VO about; the process itself isn't, because it's completely status-quo. Take issue with it if you want, but chances are that even games you thought had good VO were recorded under similar circumstances. The problems here either fall to an actor not performing well, the director not supplying adequate direction, or Treehouse approving the lines as a client. The only thing suspect about the process is not specifying that Azura's character required singing in her sides.

Though it doesn't help that there's someone in that link's comments trying to extrapolate pay-to-play VO sites to the field as a whole, which is just compounding the misinformation.

ffdgh

Gotcha. Thank you. Will be bookmarking this post. I want to try to do an all kids run for my first time playing Birthright so this will be very helpful. I basically have the female second gen+ the above mentioned to choose from then.
I already bought the DLC and will probably go Anna since I didn't in Awakening due to fear of losing a kid.

One quick thing...
Anna's dlc isn't out until april

Didnt know what to put for Boon and Bane since it doesnt just flat out tell you Speed, Luck or Skill like Awakening. I put Robust for Boon and Dull for Bane and dont know if I screwed myself over lol

Kinsei

Banned
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I keep forgetting about the online stuff because I never used it. But yeah, you can grind supports that way, you'll just have to leave your level 8 Arthur as a support unit for the kid's recruitment chapter so he doesn't get one-shotted.

Is Arthur bad? I was gonna use him.

Draxal

Is Arthur bad? I was gonna use him.

Yes and no. He's got a personal skill that makes him really risky to use in battle (he's unlucky so he gets crit all the time).

He's one of the best support bots in the game along with the other berserker, where they're just stat sticks for the other character.

Vamphuntr

Okay in the beginning, gets very outclassed a lot mid game. By mid game I mean chapter 8/9 Conquest. He is support bait.

Do you have a character ranking list? I'm wondering who is worthwhile to use or not in Conquest because of the exp limitation.

Top Bottom