• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Chapter 26 in Conquest Lunatic.

Infinite hexing rod? Like, what? I always thought whatever game designer decided on the hexing rod being a thing should be fired, but decisions like "infinite hexing rod" are why capital punishment is still necessary in society.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

Infinite hexing rod? Like, what? I always thought whatever game designer decided on the hexing rod being a thing should be fired, but decisions like "infinite hexing rod" are why capital punishment is still necessary in society.
That's a bit much, don't you think?

Regarding the issue at hand: Actually, since the boss is a lottery anyway (he would have killed each and every single one of my units with a single crit in my Hard run) I agree that the mission design here could certainly be improved on. However, what's the range of the hexing rod? In hard, you could at least stay out of the reach of all staffs while killing the swarm of enemies from the lower part of the level, the question just is, if you can get there over the right path without exposing your most important units to the hexing rod. Then, if you have dealt with all enemies other than the boss outside of the hexing rod range, he can only use the rod or attack, so the two rounds you may need to finish him off should be fine. However, this is assuming that you can take the right path without exposing your tanks to the rod, otherwise quite a few enemy waves before that seem to be exceedingly nasty already.

Alright, GAF, make up my mind for me: decide the fates of Jakob, Mozu, Silas, and Felicia. I was planning on going Jakob x Felicia and Silas x Mozu since I already did Silas x Felicia in Birthright, but Felicia is just too perfect as Sophie's mom. Everyone else is paired up. I don't care about reclassing or skills or growth rates. What should I do?

PK Gaming

The boss cycles through each of their rods. Hexing rods are used on every 4th turn.

Aurablade

Alright, GAF, make up my mind for me: decide the fates of Jakob, Mozu, Silas, and Felicia. I was planning on going Jakob x Felicia and Silas x Mozu since I already did Silas x Felicia in Birthright, but Felicia is just too perfect as Sophie's mom. Everyone else is paired up. I don't care about reclassing or skills or growth rates. What should I do?

Jakob x Mozu is adorable, so I throw in my vote for that.

Finally finished Birthright yesterday and just started Conquest.
Man that last chapter in Birthright was
anticlimactic... Overall I feel really disappointed in the story. Conquest is supposedly worse? Sigh...

Gameplay is top notch I have to say and impressive they stepped up on the presentation front even more after Awakening.
Yeah, I'm on Chapter 25 of Birthright and I agree, the story is pretty lackluster. Coming off of Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, the last two Fire Emblem games (Awakening & Fates [thus far]) have been extremely unimpressive in the story department. But, like you say, the gameplay keeps me entertained - which ultimately what matters to me.

Anyways, just four more chapters and I'm going to take a break and then dive into Conquest.

Draxal

There's nothing loyal in
letting the opposing force win
and there is nothing to be proud about in that either. Or at least nothing I am aware of?

It's a pretty common archetype, unwilling to abandon a cause even though you're wrong.

Shinypogs

This is what I get for posting before playing. I was so demotivated after seeing the hexing rod that I just put the game down for a bit. Glad to hear there's hope.

I believe lunatic also features a maid in the first room with a hexing Rod as well but she can be one shot and the unit that killed her rescued or you can just silence her if need be.

Im about to take in the same chapter and difficulty myself in a day or so. I'm just taking a break and playing some birthright before going back. Remember that the ai prefers to target units with low res since that increases the hit chance of the staves. The other maids in that chapter are way less annoying when you know how to manipulate who they target so your good attacking units don't get frozen or enfeebeld.

Yoshi

It's a pretty common archetype, unwilling to abandon a cause even though you're wrong.

Even though you know you are wrong? That's the point here. Also, by
letting yourself being killed
you do give it up.

Even though you know you are wrong? That's the point here. Also, by
letting yourself being killed
you do give it up.

Yup, this isn't even the first FE game to use it. I think there were some bosses in the GBA games like this. "I may be wrong, but I've dedicated my life for this cause and to betray it would render my life meaningless, so the only way to get me to move is to kill me."

They're not rolling over and letting themselves be killed, they just acknowledge that if you want this bad enough, you'll kill them, and they've accepted their fate that this will probably happen.

L95

Yup, this isn't even the first FE game to use it. I think there were some bosses in the GBA games like this. "I may be wrong, but I've dedicated my life for this cause and to betray it would render my life meaningless, so the only way to get me to move is to kill me."

They're not rolling over and letting themselves be killed, they just acknowledge that if you want this bad enough, you'll kill them, and they've accepted their fate that this will probably happen.

Selena comes to mind, though Camus from FE1 is similar. IDK, I thought the Camus/(birthright spoiler)
Xander
parallel was intentional

Lynx_7

Being an archetype doesn't really excuse having weak motivations. Just like not every masked gundam pilot makes for an interesting Char, the same applies to FE's Camuses.
The whole Nohr and Hoshido conflict being so blatantly black and white, and Garon being a cartoon villain don't do much favors for Xander. I really like him as a character and all, but as an antagonist in Birthright... Eh.

Draxal

Being an archetype doesn't really excuse having weak motivations. Just like not every masked gundam pilot makes for an interesting Char, the same applies to FE's Camuses.
The whole Nohr and Hoshido conflict being so blatantly black and white, and Garon being a cartoon villain don't do much favors for Xander. I really like him as a character and all, but as an antagonist in Birthright... Eh.

I was talking more about his looks more than anything, he really looks a lot like Camus (well so does Eldigan), where the other characters in this archetype are in different classes-look a lot different (Mustadio/Lloyd/Selene).

I just played a challenge mission I cannot beat.

It's a level 20 challenge at Riverside Valley with a bunch of Kinshi Knights and Strategists. What makes it so difficult is that they have an Enfeeble Rod and two Hexing Rods! The Enfeeble Rod I can handle but they get six hexes from the Hexing Rods and I'm only allowed 10 units - do that math!

I'm determined to beat it though. It's the most challenging battle in the game yet (although I still have Xander in the next chapter to fight, but I don't imagine he or even Garon can be this tough).

woopWOOP

Are the pre-deployed DLC maps always the same or does the higher difficulty carry through over to that side too?

Wanted to beat the final Birthright mission as a Grandmaster, but Hidden Truths 1 isn't as easy as I expected...

Also why the hell is the Grandmaster class for males only? That's horseshit

So I am completely in the dark about the new Fire Emblem, apart from the knowledge that I adored Awakening and would love another game in that vein. I could get Conquest for comparatively cheap, should I?

Like, is Birthright better?

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Finally got to the infamous ch10 on Lunatic Conquest. While it is difficult, I don't think it's as crazy as people think. I got to turn 9, one retainer down on my first try and only lost because Arthur missed a 90% hit.

I think the key is that I had to reclass Mozu as an archer to use the second ballista. I sent Effie and Jakob west to hold the axemen, but perhaps I should just funnel them down the middle to proactively crush the spawns. Not sure yet.

So I am completely in the dark about the new Fire Emblem, apart from the knowledge that I adored Awakening and would love another game in that vein. I could get Conquest for comparatively cheap, should I?

Like, is Birthright better?
Birthright is closest to the Awakening style of big open maps and lots of random battles to grind.

Conquest follows the older style of maps containing varied objectives (defend the base, capture the point, etc.) and no grinding.

Both have great gameplay, so up to you. You may end up just buying the other one as DLC anyway.

Shinypogs

Did a test run of 26 conquest lunatic to determine which tonics I'll need to buy and what meal I want to cook going into it. First room is fine and nothing special, Outlaw Niles with a dual yumi fucking laughs at the sorcerers even when enfeebled and frozen. The conga line of generals and berserkers in the bottom room get kited back then get to play with Camilla and dragonstone + MU so that's no problem. I probably could have completed the map ( ignoring the clusterfuck that is the faceless and stoneborn side) during that test run had I not had a derp moment regarding some unit placement.

Some key tonics and the right meal should set me up for victory next time around. I actually really like this map, it's set up in a way that requires you have a balanced team to deal with the different rooms efficiently.

NeonZ

Are the pre-deployed DLC maps always the same or does the higher difficulty carry through over to that side too?

They change based on your current difficulty, yes.

Also why the hell is the Grandmaster class for males only? That's horseshit
Because they're just the Amiibo's classes, with IS putting the smallest amount of effort to make them playable for other characters. Great Lord is female-only this time, after all.

Grandmaster specifically stands out since they wouldn't even need a different body model for females, but just programming a different version of the class, since it's actually the tactician design which was the same for both genders.

Yoshi

Alright, kids: I just finished Birthright. Conquest or Revelations?

It can only go uphill from here! But if you want to play the better game, definitely take Conquest. I'm at mission 16 of Revelations now and so far it is Birthright < Revelations < Conquest with a huge gap in between each.

Hisame is a BEAST.

Compared to Birthright, it depends on how much you can stand the protagonist doing bad things due to a plot device - like Micaiah's chapters in the 3rd part of Radiant Dawn. Conquest has a more consistent story arc than Birthright though. The chapters are still "episodic", with little attention on the overall conflict, but it does a better job tying the narrative together like how in the early chapters you're going in random errands to prove your loyalty to Nohr, rather than going in random errands due to characters randomly disappearing. Although aside from the plot device mentioned previously, there's a rather glaring story point in Conquest that somehow gets overlooked by all characters and it often uses plot devices to avoid directly dirtying the hands of the avatar.

Interesting. To be honest, I think just playing the story from a different perspective will make it somewhat bearable. I'm on the last Chapter of Birthright, and some of the events in the previous two chapters had me rolling my eyes quite heavily. But! I think I'll play through a couple of other games (Star Ocean 5 and TMS#FE) before I move onto Conquest. Playing this game on Classic Mode was draining.

Shinypogs

26 defeated! I almost felt bad for
Iago
, barely any chance to hit me and even if they had crit me it wouldn't have hurt since they were doing a base 2 dmg. This chapter cost me one rescue charge, 1 entrap charge and 5 silence charges, most expensive chapter in terms of staves and tonics in the whole game.

KiraFA37

Chapter 12 on Birthright aka the Opera level, cutscenes with Azura singing remind me of how good the music is in this game. Got to get the OST once I finish with all the paths. ~~You are the oceans gray waves... da da da daaa da da daaa...

ohlawd

fuck, I knew that shit was gonna happen. why or why did I not use a ranged attack to deal with that Killer Axe user. fucker was the last one I had to deal with to get Shiro

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Chapter 12 on Birthright aka the Opera level, cutscenes with Azura singing remind me of how good the music is in this game. Got to get the OST once I finish with all the paths. ~~You are the oceans gray waves... destined to seek life beyond the shore , just out of reach..
Fixed. I know it by heart.

Shinypogs

Conquest lunatic defeated! That was a wild ride. I will go back and not cheese endgame someday but for now very pleased with how things turned out.

Once I finish my current lunatic birthright playthrough I'm going back to do a hard conquest run and I'm finally going to use Arthur. He's usually going to be providing buffs for Percy but unlike most of my pairup bots I want to keep him on level with the main team and swap him and Percy from time to time. Since I do a lot of my castle stuff I start each run with a bunch of extra stat boosters, aside from gluing godess icons to him like an arts and crafts project which boosters would people recommend for him? Also warn me if he has a tendency to cap a stat early ( example: kaze can cap strength long before he's ready to promote due to a low personal cap ) so I don't waste certain stat items on him.

Any help those of you who are familiar with playing with Arthur can provide would be appreciated.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Conquest lunatic defeated! That was a wild ride. I will go back and not cheese endgame someday but for now very pleased with how things turned out.

Once I finish my current lunatic birthright playthrough I'm going back to do a hard conquest run and I'm finally going to use Arthur. He's usually going to be providing buffs for Percy but unlike most of my pairup bots I want to keep him on level with the main team and swap him and Percy from time to time. Since I do a lot of my castle stuff I start each run with a bunch of extra stat boosters, aside from gluing godess icons to him like an arts and crafts project which boosters would people recommend for him? Also warn me if he has a tendency to cap a stat early ( example: kaze can cap strength long before he's ready to promote ) so I don't waste certain stat items on him.

Any help those of you who are familiar with playing with Arthur can provide would be appreciated.
Arthur's low stats and bad luck makes him pretty weak.

Golnei

Chapter 12 on Birthright aka the Opera level, cutscenes with Azura singing remind me of how good the music is in this game. Got to get the OST once I finish with all the paths. ~~You are the oceans gray waves... da da da daaa da da daaa...

The soundtrack as a whole is one of the best in the series. As for the main theme, while I think they could have streamlined the lyrics a little (Shigure's version in particular feels like it tries to put three words on one note too often) I generally like what they did with it.

While the motif is present through a lot of the score, it doesn't really get too repetitive, as it's usually present in a scattered or modified single phrase instead of a verbatim repetition, or a place for a substantially different variation to grow out of - contrast it with Awakening, which too often used full phrases of the main theme in a lot of tracks.

NeonZ

No news about the festival dlc yet ?

Nothing. I wouldn't be surprised if they're skipped at this point. They have a bigger script than the Awakening ones, but would likely sell less (at least based on Nintendo's lack of statement about the DLC sales here while they were talking up Awakening's).

The translation of the base game also was lazy in several points (like ignoring the avatar script variations and copying a single variant of the text for both the male and female avatar when it was originally different for each gender sometimes, like the married ending and Tharja support).

Yoshi

Nothing. I wouldn't be surprised if they're skipped at this point. They have a bigger script than the Awakening ones, but would likely sell less (at least based on Nintendo's lack of statement about the DLC sales here while they were talking up Awakening's).
Considering I'm at 150 hours with Fates (and still have 7 missions to go in Revelations) and played Awakening for "only" 66 hours, I suspect some people just have more than enough to do with the base game and its alternative paths and therefore did not buy the DLC.

Oxx

I'm probably about a third of the way through Birthright, I can't even contemplate playing additional dlc at this point.

Yoshi

I'm probably about a third of the way through Birthright, I can't even contemplate playing additional dlc at this point.

That would need some context, did you complete any other paths before?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

I finished it last night and won't buy the other paths. I'm very casually into these types of games, and liked Awakening more. I don't really enjoy the game play in srpgs and the story and characters didn't really grab me.

Oxx

That would need some context, did you complete any other paths before?

Not yet, but I have the other two paths downloaded.

Just reiterating the point that there is so much in the base game that dlc isn't even on my radar.

PK Gaming

Once I finish my current lunatic birthright playthrough I'm going back to do a hard conquest run and I'm finally going to use Arthur. He's usually going to be providing buffs for Percy but unlike most of my pairup bots I want to keep him on level with the main team and swap him and Percy from time to time. Since I do a lot of my castle stuff I start each run with a bunch of extra stat boosters, aside from gluing godess icons to him like an arts and crafts project which boosters would people recommend for him? Also warn me if he has a tendency to cap a stat early ( example: kaze can cap strength long before he's ready to promote due to a low personal cap ) so I don't waste certain stat items on him.

Effie pair-up gets him going in the early game. He's really good at stacking on damage with the Hand Axe + Attack stance so make sure you do that whenever you can.

Remove Gamble when you get it.

Ogodei

Revelations Endgame was the only Endgame that didn't drive me up a wall. That's what those endgames should be like (though 4 healthbars for the Silent Dragon was too much), not like a whole bonus chapter.

Revs 27 was also fun. So many tough enemies right out front, but you get to set up your tough guys too, draw a line and let them break upon you.

Shinypogs

Effie pair-up gets him going in the early game. He's really good at stacking on damage with the Hand Axe + Attack stance so make sure you do that whenever you can.

Remove Gamble when you get it.

Will do, I've semi used him before but usually he just became effie's pairup bot shortly after chapter 10 so I never really experimented with him and while i've seen others use him to great effect i'm not sure what all he needs/ doesn't need outside of goddess icons. I did know about the gamble thing but ty for that bit as well.

Starting out I'll have:
~
Energy Dropx2
Secret Bookx2
Talismanx2
Speedwing
Spirit Dustx2
Goddess Iconx2
Dracoshield
Seraph Robe
2x dragon herb
~
Same as I had for my lunatic run and while I used very few of the stat boosters to complete that I know Arthur could use a bit of love I just don't want to over do it.

McNum

Wanna spoiler tag that? I already finish Revelation but I imagine most people that haven't yet would not appreciate reading that.
Like me. I haven't started Revelations yet. Got stuck playing some Doom, so couldn't play that and Conquest at the same time.

Heading into Chapter 21 there. I kind of want Conquest to be done with already. But I suspect hoping that the last maps here are straightforward is kind of... naive. It's Conquest, after all. I expect some utterly bizarre map requirements and silly gimmicks before this is over.

NeonZ

Will do, I've semi used him before but usually he just became effie's pairup bot shortly after chapter 10 so I never really experimented with him and while i've seen others use him to great effect i'm not sure what all he needs/ doesn't need outside of goddess icons. I did know about the gamble thing but ty for that bit as well.

Starting out I'll have:
~
Energy Dropx2
Secret Bookx2
Talismanx2
Speedwing
Spirit Dustx2
Goddess Iconx2
Dracoshield
Seraph Robe
2x dragon herb
~
Same as I had for my lunatic run and while I used very few of the stat boosters to complete that I know Arthur could use a bit of love I just don't want to over do it.

Arthur's only real problems are luck and resistance. His speed growth in his base class ends up exactly in the middle (50%), and he doesn't have strong bases for it, so it might need a boost depending on your RNG. Everything else is higher though and should be no problem.

Yoshi

Like me. I haven't started Revelations yet. Got stuck playing some Doom, so couldn't play that and Conquest at the same time.

Heading into Chapter 21 there. I kind of want Conquest to be done with already. But I suspect hoping that the last maps here are straightforward is kind of... naive. It's Conquest, after all. I expect some utterly bizarre map requirements and silly gimmicks before this is over.

Not all too gimmicky, but it continues to be quite challenging, though the last few maps you should max out some of your top units (wrt level) and the game gets a bit easier through that. My Corrin was too weak for an easy win in chapter 25 though, so let's hope yours isn't, because that map can be devastating otherwise ;).

Shinypogs

Not all too gimmicky, but it continues to be quite challenging, though the last few maps you should max out some of your top units (wrt level) and the game gets a bit easier through that. My Corrin was too weak for an easy win in chapter 25 though, so let's hope yours isn't, because that map can be devastating otherwise ;).

Just a note that if you run into that problem again next conquest run and can't/ don't want to go up both sides to deal with mini bosses. You can actually kill the chapter 25 boss
from the other side of the wall if you lure him to it once the arbitrary turn count is up. I got lazy after completing one side and just sniped at him with Niles and a dual yumi though anyone with decent luck , defense and a ranged attack will do. Can confirm it was not fun as crushing him with a master ninja Corrin the run before that though.

edit;

Arthur's only real problems are luck and resistance. His speed growth in his base class ends up exactly in the middle (50%), and he doesn't have strong bases for it, so it might need a boost depending on your RNG. Everything else is higher though and should be no problem.
Alright sounds good ^-^ I look forward to seeing how my first proper Arthur turns out.

McNum

Let me make a wild guess here.
He's big. He has red hair. He wields a sword that is covered in lightning. And you're locked in a room with him.
If so, I have it planned out. In a few levels, my Avatar switches over to Swordmaster, to grab those four skills ending with Swordfaire at 15. I'm not sure if Astra is better than Dragon Fang in the long run, but I'm going to keep Vantage. I've seen him at half HP often enough to know that it could be good later. It's automatic at less than 50% HP, right?

Because Swordfaire + Yato seems like something to do for anyone silly enough to have, say...
Dragonskin
for a skill later.

My Kana got the Dragonstone+ and has Draconic Hex. She can take a hit and then the enemy sucks afterwards. Then she heals it off on the Player Phase since she's holding a Dragonstone. She's definitely on the final team now. It burns off her offense pretty fast if she uses the DS+ all the time, but it's a good option for a tactical strike on a low Res enemy, or just as a blocker.

Top Bottom