• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Heroes |OT|The Future of Fire Emblem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shahadan

Alfonse has dumb blonde streaks and high heels, lol.
He loses.

They're both bland though, but I actually like them more than the shitty bored looking kid mage that could be a Luminous Arc reject.

pariah164

I like the design of the girl, but the official portrait art of her looks... off. Like she has no butt. It's due to the shapeless armor, I know, but it still skeeves me a bit.

btkadams

Am I crazy for absolutely loving the gameplay of Fire Emblem but always find the characters/story/dialogue incredibly boring? I think that's why the idea of a mobile Fire Emblem game is highly appealing to me. I feel like it would be less story and more gameplay. This is definitely different from core Fire Emblem though, so i hope it still works out for me.

I think if they were going to go for a multi-coloured hair design, they should've done it the Yu-Gi-Oh way. Just straight up different locks of hair instead of the way Alfonse's was designed.

Sharena has multi-coloured hair, too, but it looks really bland. Blond-to-pink hair is done so much better elsewhere, just look at Gwenpool (Marvel comics).

gaiages

Banned
Am I crazy for absolutely loving the gameplay of Fire Emblem but always find the characters/story/dialogue incredibly boring? I think that's why the idea of a mobile Fire Emblem game is highly appealing to me. I feel like it would be less story and more gameplay. This is definitely different from core Fire Emblem though, so i hope it still works out for me.

Uh, honestly? I think you're like most Fire Emblem fans in that aspect. The majority of the series' entries aren't known for the plots.

Golnei

Blue-to-white might have been less of a clash. But the actual way they're depicting the gradient of the hair could be an issue too - without Alphonse next to her, I couldn't tell whether Sharena was supposed to have dyed tips or it was just a lighting/shading thing.

Quonny

Why is this still not out yet?

feb-1.png

Moonlight

Banned
How subtle the transition with Sharena's hair is why I much prefer it over whatever they did with Alfonse. It doesn't add much, but it doesn't really distract. I just dig their armour design, and since they basically look identical in that regard from waist-up they both sort of benefit from that judgment. The scaled mail and the big mantle look stylish but reasonably practical, and hair aside it uses its' primary colours (gold and white) well. Sharena gets my nod because her hairstyle looks great, and with the cape and skirt she vaguely reminds me of RD Neph, lol.

Draxal

How subtle the transition with Sharena's hair is why I much prefer it over whatever they did with Alfonse. It doesn't add much, but it doesn't really distract. I just dig their armour design, and since they basically look identical in that regard from waist-up they both sort of benefit from that judgment. The scaled mail and the big mantle look stylish but reasonably practical, and hair aside it uses its' primary colours (gold and white) well. Sharena gets my nod because her hairstyle looks great, and with the cape and skirt she vaguely reminds me of RD Neph, lol.

I prefer sharena cuz I prefer Ephraim, team spear lords.

_woLf

It's really interesting that this game didn't have a soft launch (that I'm aware of) in any territory. My experience with mobile launches, especially one of this caliber, is that almost always you want to soft launch in a smaller territory for a week at least before launching worldwide.

I'm expecting lots of bugs and 'sploits. Though it'll be nice to not be behind Japan for a gacha.

vaporeon

I'm really not feeling Kozaki's character designs lately. <( I feel like he's running out of steam, too busy, and/or not given too much artistic freedom. The difference between the art he did for FE Heroes/Pokemon Go and No More Heroes is staggering.

^ A bad quality one, at that.

To be honest, almost anything is better than what MyNintendo is peddling, so I'm just hoping for like, overpriced in-game currency or literally anything to dump my stash of coins into that might have any worth :p

right, lost every coin i've gathered during miitomo's release because I couldn't buy something interesting with that (well except for Wario Ware)

What makes me dislike Sharena is that she looks like isn't wearing any pants.

that's a direct reference to old marth, how can you dislike that ?

Moonlight

Banned
I prefer sharena cuz I prefer Ephraim, team spear lords.
I'm just team not-sword Lords, lol.

I'm really not feeling Kozaki's character designs lately. <( I feel like he's running out of steam, too busy, and/or not given too much artistic freedom. The difference between the art he did for FE Heroes/Pokemon Go and No More Heroes is staggering.
I think maybe your problem here is that all those other projects aren't No More Heroes. Those games have a very different aesthetic direction (and is closest in line with Kozaki's own preferences as far as his original work goes).

And I'd actually say the five designs he's put out for Heroes is some of the better work he's produced for the series. And the key visual (at the bottom of the OT) is gorgeous and in particular shows off his keen eye for composition.

nikos

US App Store updates in about 10 minutes. If it's not up then, it'll probably be tomorrow morning or afternoon.

Squire

Banned
Neither of them look that great t b h

I actually like them both better than every MU except maybe F!Corrin. Alfonse just has this ugly hair colour decision where his blue hair fades into blonde at the ends and those colours do not mix at all.

Shar is gonna have some amazing fan pieces.

FCorrin is hard to compete with.

Edit: It's not even midnight on the east coast, so of course it's not up yet.

chrono01

Welp, see you all tomorrow. :(

Man, tomorrow is going to be a full-on busy day for me too. I probably won't get around to starting/re-rolling until Friday. It might be for the best though, as I expect the game to have server issues when it initially launches.

vaporeon

I think maybe your problem here is that all those other projects aren't No More Heroes. Those games have a very different aesthetic direction (and is closest in line with Kozaki's own preferences as far as his original work goes).

And I'd actually say the five designs he's put out for Heroes is some of the better work he's produced for the series. And the key visual in particular (at the bottom of the OT) is gorgeous and in particular shows off his keen eye for composition.
The official character art for Awakening was great though. They had personality, shown through different poses and angle. Not as great as NMH, but still had that Kozaki signature. That's what I admired most about his work. Seeing his character art for Pokemon Go, FE Heroes, and BBK/BRNK...they feel so flat in comparison.

Squire

Banned
The official character art for Awakening was great though. They had personality, shown through different poses and angle. Not as great as NMH, but still had that Kozaki signature. That's what I admired most about his work. Seeing his character art for Pokemon Go, FE Heroes, and BBK/BRNK...they feel so flat in comparison.

It's not all on Kozaki. It's a collaboration of ideas at best, him taking orders at worst, and it'll vary by project. If it seems like his art is getting worse by the project, maybe it is. (it's subjective. I certainly wouldn't say it is, myself.) But it's not as simple as "Kozaki's getting worse". Different projects have different needs and directions.

PK Gaming

I like her front braid, Fallen in love it with since Pokémon, Zelda and Fire Emblem did circular braids in such short time frame.

The braid is definitely nice, but the way her hair is tied + how it kind of juts out and floats (takumi style) is a definitely eh. I don't mind the lack of pants, but her obnoxiously high boots look pretty silly.

vareon

I don't think Pokemon Go is more than "Hey can you draw three people? We need it by tomorrow noon thx!".

vaporeon

Hidari's art can get too uguu. Lovely coloring & lineart tho.

It's not all on Kozaki. It's a collaboration of ideas at best, him taking orders at worst, and it'll vary by project. If it seems like his art is getting worse by the project, maybe it is. (it's subjective. I certainly wouldn't say it is, myself.) But it's not as simple as "Kozaki's getting worse". Different projects have different needs and directions.
I never said Kozaki was getting worse, and I hope I didn't imply that at all. ("I feel like he's running out of steam, too busy, and/or not given too much artistic freedom") I also feel like FE Fates burned him out because he had to design double the characters in one go.

I regret mentioning it in the first place, lol. I was reminiscing about his past works and feeling down that he can't put out some great pieces because he has to churn out things quickly for his clients nowadays. It's tough to be an artist in-demand!

Moonlight

Banned
I mean, I'm not sure how fair it is to say that his art lacks personality because the characters aren't striking unique poses in the art as they're depicted by the site resources and such, especially when there's art that depicts a lot more dynamic action by the characters. I'll draw your attention to Anna's critical hit art, and there's a lot of detail in her expression and her pose clearly sells the heft and weight being created behind the strike. It's a great looking pose from a technical perspective, and I think the 'timing' of it (at the anticipatory peak before the swing) is very well depicted. I don't see how any of this is inherently less 'personable' than something like Cordelia's character art in Awakening. Plus the typical Kozaki details like the attention to hair motion.

As a side note, it's always super cool seeing Kozaki's stuff at high-res to notice all the slightly uneven pencil work.

And again, I think his key art for the game really demonstrates that Kozaki is still an incredible talent in visual composition. All the points in it converging onto the center, the placement of the characters to form a neat semi-circle 'profile', the attention paid to character positioning so as to keep distinct silhouettes and the clear throughline that runs through the middle of the mass of characters starting with Ike and ending in Alphonse's blade, it's all really thought through. Not quite as good as his Awakening boxart, but very visually appealing all the same.

And because I can't stop mentioning it, another showcase for how fluid Kozaki manages to draw hair movement.

Otherwise you're striking at something intangible I can't really tackle. But comparing his stuff for Heroes to his portfolio I don't really see what you mean by a lack of personality to it. Kozaki's very consistent in that regard.

Kozaki's art is whatever. Hidari should have done the art for this game too.
ok, that's cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom