• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Heroes |OT|The Future of Fire Emblem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Lucina better to use than Lyn? I'm finding Lyn super useless now. Takumi and Leo do all the work and she can barely get to anything in time.

vareon

I already have 80% exp boost castle uprgade, is 10 orbs worth it to get to 100% boost?

Just finished Normal and about 2/9 of Hard Mode.

redcrayon

Yup Arena it is, good thing that fights are short :).
As these kind of games go, I think this is quite well designed. Each match rarely takes more than a handful of turns, I can do the three arena matches a day in under five minutes.

What I like is that, now I've got a dozen characters and am looking through the skills, there's some real synergy there. Some characters can swap places with others, move through others, block movement, or teleport to allies. At the moment people are getting stomped by elite teams and worrying about tiers of individual pulls, but a couple of months down the line, when everyone has a level 40 5* team in the arena, viewing enemy skills and using your own is going to be very interesting.

This could have been a quick cash-grab (and the multiple currencies and rarity of orbs can get a bit tedious), but it's actually quite well designed as a game outside of that too.

Lyn starts strong but really falls off in the teens. She becomes great again after getting Galeforce.

I'm about 50 off from Galeforce now. The thing is Takumi is a damn monster and there's nothing for her to kill. Lucina seems a bit more durable with her skills but I don't know if she can hit as hard as Lyn does.

Rixa

As these kind of games go, I think this is quite well designed. Each match rarely takes more than a handful of turns, I can do the three arena matches a day in under five minutes.

What I like is that, now I've got a dozen characters and am looking through the skills, there's some real synergy there.

Few days ago my Marth did across river using "Pivot" skill :D

Screenshot_20170203-134808.png
Screenshot_20170203-134824.png

I don't have uber units but the synergy is there.

Kouriozan

I have a balanced team of level 23-25 and Chapter 9-5 is no joke, gotta spend the rest of the day in the training tower I guess.

Rixa

Sereneforest.net posted this info about FE:H

Sereneforest said:
Today, the official Japanese Twitter account has revealed that a new batch of special maps–the “Launch Celebration Present Maps”–will be arriving tomorrow (6th February, 7 AM UTC).

Note: This is a translation and the actual name of the maps may differ in the English version.

What makes these maps special is that each map awards 3 Orbs upon completion. In addition there are two difficulty levels, allowing for a total of 6 Orbs per unique map.

These maps will be released one at a time for 5 weeks. Which if you do the Maths, allows for a possible of 30 Orbs if you complete all 5 maps on both difficulties.

Kouriozan

Wow, they really are generous with orbs, but I understand it's all about player retention.
Oh and I forgot to do today's special map.

Shinypogs

What I like is that, now I've got a dozen characters and am looking through the skills, there's some real synergy there. Some characters can swap places with others, move through others, block movement, or teleport to allies. At the moment people are getting stomped by elite teams and worrying about tiers of individual pulls, but a couple of months down the line, when everyone has a level 40 5* team in the arena, viewing enemy skills and using your own is going to be very interesting.

This could have been a quick cash-grab (and the multiple currencies and rarity of orbs can get a bit tedious), but it's actually quite well designed as a game outside of that too.

Ty for this post. It calms me down when I feel like I'm a million years behind everyone becuase I don't have all the big five star dudes and like I'm somehow playing wrong because I'm not yet ranked in arena. I just need to have fun, pull when I want and keep fiddling with my teams till I get the synergy I find most effective.

I really do love saizos aoe debuff into my team charging in and wrecking face or using merrics res boost for adjacent allies to minimize incoming magicd date while luring mages into attack range for my melee units.

I feel like this type of game has the potential to become wallet busting when/if you feel like you have to have character x for PvP even though the main story can be completed by just about any well built team.

TP17

The two new characters - Alfonse and Sharena - start at rank 2, can you get them at higher ranks through orbs or do you have to level them up? Is it worth levelling them up?

Caim

The two new characters - Alfonse and Sharena - start at rank 2, can you get them at higher ranks through orbs or do you have to level them up? Is it worth levelling them up?

Would have to level and rank them up.

You can check their skill list from the profile screen to see all their skills up to 5*

Sölf

Level them to 20 and unlock their potential (which is basically promoting). This brings them back down to level 1, but they are now 3*. This costs you feathers and colored thingies you get from the tower. This can be done for every character.

redcrayon

Ty for this post. It calms me down when I feel like I'm a million years behind everyone becuase I don't have all the big five star dudes and like I'm somehow playing wrong because I'm not yet ranked in arena. I just need to have fun, pull when I want and keep fiddling with my teams till I get the synergy I find most effective.

I really do love saizos aoe debuff into my team charging in and wrecking face or using merrics res boost for adjacent allies to minimize incoming magicd date while luring mages into attack range for my melee units.

I feel like this type of game has the potential to become wallet busting when/if you feel like you have to have character x for PvP even though the main story can be completed by just about any well built team.
With PVP, it's also a meta game of, if everyone is using one specific character build, building a team that wrecks that is also a way forward.

5* characters are, stat for stat, better, and have more/better skill options. But it's only a problem right now because most players only have one or two and so are worrying about having the most powerful. Over time, various counters and tactics will make your initial choices seem like one of many. I've got a team of flyers that wrecks face due to manouverability on river/mountain maps but dies to archers, and a team setup to cut down 5* teams built around red Sword users, but struggles against green Mages.

The weapon triangle is a great equaliser, 4* characters should have no trouble killing 5* ones of a similar level with smart play and weapon advantage.

Nintendo's plan is working. I've never really been interested in Fire Emblem, but played this as it was free, and now I want to play the "full" games.

My Id: 0059910054, feel free to add me.

As someone who rarely/never plays mobile games and has never played a FE game before...I *really* like this game. :)
Looks gorgeous, really fun (just started doing quests) and runs soooo smooth (OnePlus 2).

Subaki's 2* map is absolutely destroying me today, I cannot deal with the lance units at all because Anna is absolutely useless. She's got less HP, attack, defence and resistance than my healer Azama, the lance units can take about 2/3rds of her health off and she can only deal 7-8 damage in return (sometimes as little as 2 damage).

redcrayon

50 friends seems limiting- I'm close to the max already after playing the arena quite a bit. They don't seem to do much though, the odd gift of 5 feathers is almost worthless.

The synergy part is probably the next level of strategy for this game. Sure having uber units helps but being able to play around with the skills goes a long way.

Right now, my power team is 5* Robin, 4*+1 Eliwood, 4* Gunter, 4* Beruka.

Robin comes with Blarraven+ which is has bonus vs colorless. Robin also has Spur Def which gives adjacent allies +3 Def

Gunter comes with Harsh Command which turns penalties into bonuses. Many colorless units have debuffs so I can flip this. He also comes with Hone Cavalry which is +6 Atk/Spd for adjacent cavalry units at the start of the turn. Eliwood is a Cavalry unit.

Eliwood comes with Sacred Cowl which is 30% dmg reduction from enemy attacks up to 2 spaces away. Helps with mages and colorless. Also comes with Ward Cavalry giving allies 2 spaces away +4 Def/Res. Gunter is a Cavalry unit.

Beruka is a flyer, so is easily at the mercy of archers. So the others are really needed to offset Beruka's weakness. However Beruka has lunge which swaps the enemy position with hers. Cavalry units can't cross forests so Beruka has the ability to push units into attack range for Gunter/Eliwood by swapping positions.

Gunter is tankish, Eliwood has damage. Robin has range. Beruka is the playmaker. The other three come with adjacent ally bonuses making it a deathball.

It's still early, and so far this is the only team I got with really good synergy. But the team building can go VERY VERY deep if you got the characters.

Uthred

Well I played Puzzle & Dragons, Monster Strike, FF Record Keeper, FF Brave Exvius at launch and they weren't this generous.

One premium currency per completed map and a few as a launch bonus is basically the bare minimum, in fact I cant think of a single gacha game that gives less. The more generous ones give one premium currency or pull per day, co-op bonuses, etc.

redcrayon

Few days ago my Marth did across river using "Pivot" skill :D

Screenshot_20170203-134808.png
Screenshot_20170203-134824.png

I don't have uber units but the synergy is there.
Nicely done! I've managed some good work with swaps to make sure enemy units can only reach units they are weak against too, sending in a blue unit to kill a red, then swapping it out of range of counters from an enemy green.

Caim

I wish the one orb per map on first completion included the stuff outside of story.

I wonder if we'll get an orb per day outside of app release bonus, at least we know we get some for the weekends now.

duckroll

Finished Chapter 9. Story is shit-tier. It's obvious the dude they're looking for is the masked man. Who the fuck even cares. They're also setting up Veronica to be a poor misunderstood girl who is being bullied. Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Why couldn't this just have been some huge inter-dimensional war where all the gateways were linked up and the villains in all the games started hooking up to expand their territories beyond their worlds. Then you could travel from world to world recruiting the heroes while reclaiming territories and closing gates.

Cerium

Nintendo's plan is working. I've never really been interested in Fire Emblem, but played this as it was free, and now I want to play the "full" games.

My Id: 0059910054, feel free to add me.

As someone who rarely/never plays mobile games and has never played a FE game before...I *really* like this game. :)
Looks gorgeous, really fun (just started doing quests) and runs soooo smooth (OnePlus 2).
Always warms my heart to read posts like this.

One of us! One of us!

chrono01

Why couldn't this just have been some huge inter-dimensional war where all the gateways were linked up and the villains in all the games started hooking up to expand their territories beyond their worlds. Then you could travel from world to world recruiting the heroes while reclaiming territories and closing gates.
Damn it. Your story sounds so much better. :(

But hey, the game is still young. Maybe this is just the first "arc" we'll go through. I'm still hoping we get something a little more fleshed-out in the future. Something more akin to the stories I'm used to in my Fire Emblem games.

TrueBlue

Finished Chapter 9. Story is shit-tier. It's obvious the dude they're looking for is the masked man. Who the fuck even cares. They're also setting up Veronica to be a poor misunderstood girl who is being bullied. Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I concur with this. As it stands the story is just an excuse to get orbs. They don't really make any effort to take advantage of the crossover aspect.

It's kind of shocking to me that people actually haven't played gacha games before this.

Had to just look up what it meant today. Is it really just another form of gambling? Not sure how I feel about that, especially to a younger audience.

Just downloaded Heroes. This will be my first serious attempt at "mobile" gaming outside of a dedicated handheld.

My expectations are quite low, so maybe I'll be pleasently surprised.

Firemind

Oxx

I had hoarded 60 orbs but the first 2 sets of summons were so pathetic that I can't even bring myself to use the last 20.

chrono01

What?

So if you know your max stat values, it's only about going through the motions of the grind machine? That's boring as fuck.
There's apparently a set of different variations you'll arrive at, when you hit Level 40. Think of it as natures from Pokémon. So all identical characters won't be the exact same at Level 40, unless they hit the exact same nature. Of course, you can always change/correct your impaired stat later via fusing, but that's more for advanced players.

In any case, the difference in stats between the same character, at maximum level, will only be a few differing stat points. Honestly, it kind of had to be this way, since real money is involved. They couldn't very well leave it entirely up to RNG, as people are "whaling" specifically for characters. If they had to battle RNG once in getting the characters, and again in hoping they get the ideal stat growth, that would be an unnecessary headache.

Golnei

Also, this is a negligible complaint in light of all the other weaknesses of the narrative; but while I initially liked the idea of making Anna one of the central cast members, it kind of came at the expense of her entire personality.

They don't really make any effort to take advantage of the crossover aspect.

It is pretty staggering that not only does it fail as a story on its own merits, it doesn't even provide much in the way of fanservice. In a crossover game.

Something more akin to the stories I'm used to in my Fire Emblem games.

...I really am bad at reading sarcasm.

duckroll

Imagine if they add a Support system to the game later on, and have support conversations between characters from different games!!!!

Addi

Oh... I had one quest I didn't do (beat second stratum 5 times), after that I got new harder quests with bigger prizes, but several of them I have already done. Seems I have to do them again to get the prizes :(

Ossom

Yup Arena it is, good thing that fights are short :).

It looks more realistic for me at this point to keep trying to summon five stars. With cost of levelling up a 4* to a 5* you are really only going to be able to do that a couple of times before the grind becomes a bore.

I get it though, Nintendo has to make its money some how. I feel that the game has given me a great amount to of game play for free so far.

Update on the rank. At 2416 I am at rank 58000.

Rixa

So 7th Stratum gives Great Verdant Badges (3 per fight). Does this mean that I can evolve my unit without Feathers?

Screenshot_20170205-152024.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom