• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Heroes |OT|The Future of Fire Emblem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hubb

Thanks! Don't think I want to level a cavalry unit to the 30's just for one of the quests.

You probably will want to do it eventually. I'm sure they'll have similar quests in the future. Since my current team is pretty much all set I am just trying to get 1 of every "type" to level 40.

emag

Not sure how this happened:

The other player probably just unlocked 5* Catria (resetting her to lvl 1) and didn't bother to sync a replacement arena team.

EDIT: Or they're using Bamboo's trick as described above to get easier match-ups on offense?

Vena

I feel like that might be one of the better combos stat combos. Turns out my Kagero has -HP/+Atk as well.

My luck in getting 5★ units suck, but it looks my individual units are pretty great, haha.

I feel like -(def/res) depending on which you have in excess, is better than -HP since HP is universal "defense" against all damage types. And then either +Att or +Speed.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
The other player probably just unlocked 5* Catria (resetting her to lvl 1) and didn't bother to sync a replacement arena team.

The entire team was level 1... not sure how that matchup would even happen.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
is Lyn good...just rolled this hen I started this game this morning....
I heard you can reroll....should I reroll or Keep Lyn and Link mynintendo account
I don't have Lyn myself, but I read that she's a good but high risk/high reward character. She's so-so at full health, but becomes a glass cannon at half health or lower because of stat boosts that kick in when she's low.

If you can reroll and that's the only 5* you got, I would probably reroll unless you really like Lyn.

Dragner

Comparing to Fate/Grand Order.

2 Quarts per week + 1 quartz doing 7 missions weekly and a Ticket (one Pull)

Single pull is 3 quartz 10 pull is 30 quartz.

I don't remember Granblue now.

If they give 5 orbs a Week I think will be on par with others Gatchas.

We have to remember that a pull here is a 5 pull not a 10 pull. And this system is even worst because the color orbs can screw you and leave you without options for a focus unit (imagine rolling 3 greens 2 grays in leg heroes for example). That makes the gacha more expensive on average. So I think we should get at least 4-5 pulls month. With this rates and the color orbs impediment I think less is problems for f2p players.

OceanBlue

I feel like -(def/res) depending on which you have in excess, is better than -HP since HP is universal "defense" against all damage types. And then either +Att or +Speed.
Depends on how many hits you can take. If you're frail like Kagerou, more HP is probably better. Otherwise DEF or RES is more effective over multiple attacks.

Vena

Depends on how many hits you can take. If you're frail like Kagerou, more HP is probably better. Otherwise DEF or RES is more effective over multiple attacks.

Ya, if you're getting doubled, then the +X in Def/Res is actually double the HP so it will also depend on if your character can even be doubled on a regular basis and/or presence of Brave Weapons in the meta.

Gotchaye

We have to remember that a pull here is a 5 pull not a 10 pull. And this system is even worst because the color orbs can screw you and leave you without options for a focus unit (imagine rolling 3 greens 2 grays in leg heroes for example). That makes the gacha more expensive on average. So I think we should get at least 4-5 pulls month. With this rates and the color orbs impediment I think less is problems for f2p players.

I doubt that this is the right way to think about the stones' colors. This is actually an advantage for players hunting for focus units. If you go into legendary heroes and see 3 greens and 2 grays, you pick one stone and then back out. If you weren't shown the colors beforehand you would have tried every stone and wasted 15 extra orbs. Instead you can specifically seek out stones with a high probability of being a focus unit, such that if what you're after is only the focus units you can get much better than a 6% rate of 5*s by only picking the best stones.

Edit: That said, coming from CCGs like Hearthstone the ~3 orbs/day we're getting now already feel really stingy.

Kitoro

I hope they keep 2 orbs for logging. If not the orb gaining for f2p players would be tiny. Unless they add more than 4 story chapters a month.

Keep in mind that every chapter is 15 orbs between all 3 difficulties.

2 chapters a month plus even the most paltry of bonus orbs should amount to at least two free 5 pulls a month.

Gotchaye

3 orbs a day is stingy? Yikes.

Yes? I mean, this is a full pull once a week. Where you've then got about a 25% chance of getting anything really worthwhile. They're adding new heroes after the game has been out for two weeks. Free players don't have a prayer of owning a significant fraction of the 5*s.

Or just look at what you have to pay to expect to get even one copy of most of the 5*s. It's totally absurd next to what you'd have to pay to be able to put together a bunch of really competitive Hearthstone decks, and it's even possible to keep up as a free (if dedicated) player.

I get that that's how gacha games work, but this certainly isn't for me long-term if its pricing (in both money and time) is this out of whack relative to other kinds of f2p games.

Danj

I reported the "no Training Tower rewards on Mondays" thing as a bug, and here's the response I got:

Nintendo Smart Device Customer Support said:
Hello Danj,
Thank you for your inquiry.
Depending on the day of the week you can receive different rewards from clearing Strata in the Training Tower.
However, from Monday 09:00 until Tuesday 08:59 there are no rewards available in the Training Tower.
Please note that by tapping a Stratum once, you can check the rewards you can receive from clearing that Stratum.
We hope you enjoy playing Fire Emblem Heroes.
Please contact us again if you would have any other questions or issues.

Keep in mind that every chapter is 15 orbs between all 3 difficulties.

2 chapters a month plus even the most paltry of bonus orbs should amount to at least two free 5 pulls a month.

This. Discounting any special orb promotions that Nintendo may or may not do, the influx of "new" content and special stages should net at least two free pulls with the three difficulties. Not the best in terms of net time spent, but this is a gacha game.

All gacha games are designed to bleed your wallet and time dry for the long haul :).

Disclaimer: since I do have a full team of lv40 5*, I guess I'm in this for the long haul thanks to RNG luck haha.

Dragner

NINTENDO!!! ffs add a button to end the current arena run. I have to give free wins to people so I dont have to waste swords once Someone dies, is that or waste 2/3 days or use swords on a run that you know is not going to give you anything.

muu

Yes? I mean, this is a full pull once a week. Where you've then got about a 25% chance of getting anything really worthwhile. They're adding new heroes after the game has been out for two weeks. Free players don't have a prayer of owning a significant fraction of the 5*s.

Or just look at what you have to pay to expect to get even one copy of most of the 5*s. It's totally absurd next to what you'd have to pay to be able to put together a bunch of really competitive Hearthstone decks, and it's even possible to keep up as a free (if dedicated) player.

I get that that's how gacha games work, but this certainly isn't for me long-term if its pricing (in both money and time) is this out of whack relative to other kinds of f2p games.

Give it 3-6 months and you'll be able to do a 5-pull which also includes a 5* of your choice. It's become fairly common in gacha games and I'd be surprised if they don't occasionally do this to promote light IAP play.

Totakeke

He's just a poorly designed character i'm afraid

Nowhere near enough power to justify his low speed, and blue mages >>> red mages atm

He's not. He's very good especially with paired with Olivia. Hit a 1 range unit from 2 spaces away, restrict movement to 1 space and deal 7 damage to all enemy units within 2 spaces, use Olivia, run out of range or kill another unit, again doing another 7 damage to all units within 2 space, and now you just softened and whittled down their team while taking no risk in return.

But then I'm in the camp where I believe almost all characters are viable.

Dragner

Give it 3-6 months and you'll be able to do a 5-pull which also includes a 5* of your choice. It's become fairly common in gacha games and I'd be surprised if they don't occasionally do this to promote light IAP play.

Idk...we are talking Nintendo here. The same guys that charge you 5 dollar to play SMB or that let you rent a SNES game with your switch online subscription.

Mknzy

OK, I'm having a bit of confusion here. I have a 5* Robin that I have been leveling. In my last draw, I drew a 4* Robin, same gender, same title, but the game won't let me merge the 4* into the 5* to gain more SP. Am I missing something here?

wwm0nkey

OK, I'm having a bit of confusion here. I have a 5* Robin that I have been leveling. In my last draw, I drew a 4* Robin, same gender, same title, but the game won't let me merge the 4* into the 5* to gain more SP. Am I missing something here?
Did it auto heart it?

Anastasis

Needs to be the same star level.

Idk...we are talking Nintendo here. The same guys that charge you 5 dollar to play SMB or that let you rent a SNES game with your switch online subscription.

And the same company that refuses to drop any of their first-party games in price; even if it's 3-4 years old! Not to mention 0 price drops for the Wii U!

Firemind

NINTENDO!!! ffs add a button to end the current arena run. I have to give free wins to people so I dont have to waste swords once Someone dies, is that or waste 2/3 days or use swords on a run that you know is not going to give you anything.
So you don't want to give other people defense points? I'm not sure what's the point you're trying to make.

Sölf

Have you played other Gacha games before? If we go just by daily login bonus, 1 or 2 orbs per day would mean we could pull every 10 or 20 days. Compare that for example to Kingdom Hearts Unchained Chi, were you get 500 jewels over 5 days and need 3000 to do a 10 pull (which would be the equivalent). Now of course, KHUx has other means to get Jewels, like 150-250 for every 5 story quests, or 200 per day for 7 days for a daily challenge.

FE currently doesn't really have that, or well, nothing "regular". The weekly added bonus map to celebrate the release gives us 6 more orbs per week, which would be the closest thing we have so far. Just give it time. The game is still new.

And as others said, I wouldn't really compare CCGs with this. They just work differently.

Man, ranking up a 4* character is hard as hell. I pulled a 4* Camilla and I have 20,000 feathers but no green Great Shields :-(

I guess I just have to wait a few days until the training zone turns green again...

I have 5* Minerva and a 4* Catria so I was hoping to start building a sweet flier team based around Minerva's Ward Fliers ability. There's no red flier right? I guess I could just throw in my 5* Young Tiki or Lyn, I don't really wanna have a team with only two types, I dunno.

Vena

Promoted Fredie.

rjVOJ1B.jpg

My team is now hyper anti-Hector, lol.

I haven't had as much of a problem with the gacha system as you guys, but my gf and I have been pretty lucky for free players.

My 5* pulls:
  • Lyn
  • Young Tiki
  • Minerva

Hers:
  • Lyn
  • Old Tiki
  • Hector

Plus I've got a few good 4*s in Frederick, Catria and Camilla. I don't think they need to do a whole lot of changing, though, the game is so watered down and there's no local battling so I don't see putting a ton of time into what amounts to a slot machine.

Teiran

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";230303926]I have 5* Minerva and a 4* Catria so I was hoping to start building a sweet flier team based around Minerva's Ward Fliers ability. There's no red flier right? I guess I could just throw in my 5* Young Tiki or Lyn, I don't really wanna have a team with only two types, I dunno.[/QUOTE]

Palla and Caeda are red fliers; not sure if there are any others.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Continuous 3 orbs a day would pretty much be unprecedented in a gacha game. OPTC is one of the most generous (at least imo) and it's about 1 gem a day. These games aren't designed for everyone to be able to do free pulls each week, and certainly not designed for everyone to have all, or even a significant percentage of, top units, at least not without paying.

Hearthstone is a completely different business model and a completely different kind of game, so it's not really a valid comparison imo.

The real issue/test will be whether a completely F2P player can compete with the P2P players and can complete all content. Given how viable pretty much every character is (now that really is unprecedented in a gacha game), I think that's going to be the case.

I'm debating on taking Gunter and Olivia from 3 to 4 stars. I got both from the daily character maps. I took them from 2 to 3 already since feather cost is cheap for that, and Olivia needed sing. Gunter I'm leveling because he fills both unfilled niches on my team of green and cavalry and I can also use him for the Cavalry mission (kill 35+ with cavalry). Olivia I'm leveling for Sing, obviously.

So my thoughts on why to promote Gunter is if I'm taking someone to L40, or even L30+, might as well be 4 or 5 stars. Similar thoughts with Olivia. Is there anything I'm not considering?

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Just tried 9-5 Hard and got slaughtered with the following team below. Abel basically couldn't even kill the reds :( and while Gunter could take some hits, he definitely couldn't dish enough damage. Takumi got one-shotted by Veronica, which I'm not too surprised by.... Any thoughts on improving this team? I'm thinking of grinding up the rest of my team (since the enemies are lvl 35) and replacing Gunter & Abel with Shanna & Anna (but grinding them all up). I'm easily getting through Advanced battles in Arena though with my current team.

Current team:
4* Olivia:

Lvl 27
HP: 26
Atk: 33
Def: 19
Spd: 24
Res: 15

4* Abel:
(thanks to Brave Lance, he's -3 Attack, and -5 Speed...)
Lvl 28
HP: 33
Atk: 26
Def: 18
Spd: 17
Res: 17

5* Takumi:
Lvl 34
HP: 36
Atk: 46
Def: 20
Spd: 31
Res: 11

4* Gunter
Lvl 29
HP: 32
Atk: 36
Def: 28
Spd: 19
Res: 15

--------------------------------
Possible Alternates

4* Anna
Lvl 26
Atk: 31
Def: 16
Spd: 28
Res: 18

4* Shareena:
Lvl 25
Atk: 32
Def: 17
Spd: 24
Res: 11

4* Palla:
Lvl 23
HP: 31
Atk: 29
Def: 20
Spd: 19
Res: 19

I've also got characters like, 4* Barst (22), Shanna (21), Jakob (20), Fir, Florina, and Cecilia

Just tried 9-5 Hard and got slaughtered with the following team below. Abel basically couldn't even kill the reds :( and while Gunter could take some hits, he definitely couldn't dish enough damage. Takumi got one-shotted by Veronica, which I'm not too surprised by.... Any thoughts on improving this team? I'm thinking of grinding up the rest of my team (since the enemies are lvl 35) and replacing Gunter & Abel with Shanna & Anna (but grinding them all up). I'm easily getting through Advanced battles in Arena though with my current team.

Got any light's blessing left? I had to use one to get through 9-5 hard despite 4x Lvl 40 5* lol.

Dragner

So you don't want to give other people defense points? I'm not sure what's the point you're trying to make.

No, I want to have a button before entering a match that says 'leave current arena run' (or simmilar) right now I have to concede a match even if Im winning becuse if I end it Im forced to continue playing even if if I know Im not going to improve my arena rating.

Sushen

If I level up a character, am I spending both universal shards and corresponding shards? Or one or the other? The menu is unclear and I don't want to waste my shards.

Also, would the upgraded character stats be worse than normally leveled up ones?

Phew, finally got to Lunatic mission 9.

Honestly the secret MVP of my team has been my 4* Oboro. She clears out armored units, has a ton of def, raises other teammates def while lowering my opponents'. Really helps a lot when you're fighting enemies above your level or have uneven levels among your team. Also helps my 5* Lyn survive when I'm keeping her below 50% health to trigger her atk bonuses.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Got any light's blessing left? I had to use one to get through 9-5 hard despite 4x Lvl 40 5* lol.

Well given my team is a lvl 34 and a bunch of mid to high 20s, I thought I'd level them up first before even thinking about Light's Blessing (I didn't kill a single unit lol). Especially given what you just said haha. I have a bunch of them though since I haven't used one yet.

Firemind

No, I want to have a button before entering a match that says 'leave current arena run' (or simmilar) right now I have to concede a match even if Im winning becuse if I end it Im forced to continue playing even if if I know Im not going to improve my arena rating.
You do know you can surrender before entering a match and it won't break your streak, right?

Eridani

Your main problem are the levels really. A lvl 27 character's just not going to be able to do much against lvl 35 enemies. I'd also recommend keeping Abel since he's pretty damn good in arena at the moment, due to sword units being so popular.

Danj

Your main problem are the levels really. A lvl 27 character's just not going to be able to do much against lvl 35 enemies.

Pretty sure this is my issue as well, what's the best way to level characters below lv30 to above 30? I've been trying to do the training tower but either my >30lv characters kill everything or my <30lv characters die (or both).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom