• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Heroes |OT|The Future of Fire Emblem

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I don't think it's completely irrelevant. Acknowledging that a character has a particular design goal and a role that the character fulfills doesn't mean you should ignore the character's weaknesses as part of his design. In Ephraim's case, he has the stats of a more mobile tank without the skills. Part of why Effie is so good is that she has Wary Guard. Since Ephraim doesn't have that, you have to consider how that affects his current and potential matchups.

Perhaps I didn't explain it properly. Ephraim's role is to be a tank buster so naturally he'll go up against tanks frequently. Tanks will most likely have low speed. As a result, Ephraim's supposed "weakness" is not really a weakness. That being said is his speed lower when compared to many other units? Yes, but he's not necessarily designed to take down those encounters. If he was then he'd be considered OP and really good. I guess this is what you're trying to get at? Weaknesses exist with Ephraim yes but the weakness is irrelevant when considering his role. Weakness and irrelevancy in this situation are mutually exclusive.

Having never played a fire emblem game this is pretty fun and addicting!

So as a noob, what characters should I look out for? And other tips &a tricks should be aware of?

I've got Julia up to level 30 now and she's really destroying people in the arena. Sure she doesn't have the speed to double hit, but she's doing tons of damage in that single hit.

Wanderer5

Hm now that I had gotten Ephraim and Eirika, I put down a second team, which currently is those two along with young Tiki and Camille (who is currently 4*) that I had thoughts of trying to work with.

Depending how I feel with Eirika in particular, I might switch in Takumi or a spellcaster, through think the only notable one I have currently is Lilina.

OceanBlue

Having never played a fire emblem game this is pretty fun and addicting!

So as a noob, what characters should I look out for? And other tips &a tricks should be aware of?
If you can kill a character in two hits, it's generally better to let them attack you first so you can kill them on your turn before they counterattack.
Perhaps I didn't explain it properly. Ephraim's role is to be a tank buster so naturally he'll go up against tanks frequently. Tanks will most likely have low speed. As a result, Ephraim's supposed "weakness" is not really a weakness. That being said is his speed lower when compared to many other units? Yes, but he's not necessarily designed to take down those encounters. If he was then he'd be considered OP and really good. I guess this is what you're trying to get at? Weaknesses exist with Ephraim yes but the weakness is irrelevant when considering his role. Weakness and irrelevancy in this situation are mutually exclusive.
Oh I see what you mean. Yeah that makes sense.

PK Gaming

Honestly, I really don't enjoy the reddit circlejerk about who's bad and who's not bad. In these types of games, there are very few characters that are just straight up fundamentally bad and broken. I'm referring to the stupid reddit post about Ephraim being bad and don't roll for him. I think this notion is fine but the supporting evidence shows a lack of design understanding in the game. On paper Ephraim is actually a very good unit as he fulfills a very specific purpose which is to be a tank buster. He is single handedly the best tank buster in the game. Everything else he is good to average.

The game unfortunately suffers from too many good/OP units that have flooded every single color type which makes niche picks look very bad. Also I'm seeing the comments about how Sharena is even better than Ephraim when the two are clearly different types of units. One is a tank buster and the other is a damage mitgator. Now this brings up the topic of meta. When the current meta is flooded with specific units and really no red tanks, this means that Ephraim just doesn't have the opportunity to shine.

I encourage people to seriously look at the underlying design and kit of the units to see what they do and if they're actually good at it. Not make half-assed comments and compare it to an OP unit or a unit that doesn't fit the meta and say it's absolute garbage.

I agree that we shouldn't get too caught up in dog-piling units, but you're off base in your assessment. Calling Ephraim a very good unit on paper is stretching it. You can't exactly call him a premier tank buster when he struggles to double the best tanks in the format (he's slower than Nowi). His skills aren't particularly impressive either (Threaten defense is nice, but seal Defense is overkill). Even when you compare him to average units, Ephraim struggles to stand out.

I'm all for using units that are unconventional, but Ephraim isn't a particularly well designed character. And no, there's nothing wrong with claiming that Shareena is a better pick than Ephraim when they compete for the exact same team slot and largely fulfill the same niche.

kayos90

I can't wait for red tanks to show up and people start crying over how they can't deal with them in arena without units dying.

Eliseo

I need some advice, should I stick with my current team for arena or should i change Lucina for Nowi/camilla?

HZCH8KW.png

kayos90

I agree that we shouldn't get too caught up in dog-piling units, but you're off base in your assessment. Calling Ephraim a very good unit on paper is stretching it. You can't exactly call him a premier tank buster when he struggles to double the best tanks in the format (he's slower than Nowi). His skills aren't particularly impressive either (Threaten defense is nice, but seal Defense is overkill). Even when you compare him to average units, Ephraim struggles to stand out.

I'm all for using units that are unconventional, but Ephraim isn't a particularly well designed character. And no, there's nothing wrong with claiming that Shareena is a better pick than Ephraim when they compete for the exact same team slot and largely fulfill the same niche.

Why is doubling the only method for dealing with tanks? His kit is designed to beat the shit out of a tank's defense and survive while giving your units the ability to absolutely dismantle them. It's absolutely viable and very good. People have this notion that DAMAGE DAMAGE DAMAGE is the only way of doing shit in this game lmao.

Also, Shareena competes for the Blue type slot but they fulfill different roles. I have no idea why you're comparing when their roles are different even if they both are blue. They do not even compete for the same niche.

Rodin

Just pulled Roy, Effie, Saizo and Marian, all 4 stars, and the 6th 3 stars Hana. My current team is Lucina 5, Tiki 4, Kagero 4 and Catria 4. Should i remove Catria for Effie?

EDIT: Azura is SS? Holy shit

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I would honestly keep rerolling until you get at least one 5*

Oh sorry, I actually already rerolled 2 other accounts saved those off and got 5* Marth (and 5* Lucina) there. I may eventually totally switch to those but that's a separate issue. My main/original account though I got a 4* Marth after recently rolling another 40 orbs and was curious whether he was useful or not to train up. I have a 5* Takumi who's +Atk, -Res, and using a 4* Olivia (+Atk), 4* Abel, & 4* Gunter (with a 4* Anna and 4* Sharena on the sidelines to swap if necessary). I was just curious how useful 4* Marth is in general. He doesn't seem to be -Atk or -Spd, so if promoted I think he'd be decent.

Also, any thoughts on MCorrin? I got a 4* version of him on one of my accounts and was curious how he was. I only hear about FCorrin.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I've started leveling up new characters with Sakura and Olivia babysitting them. It's working out pretty well. Sakura and Olivia give atk/def buffs, heals, and extra turns so it helps that one guy mow through the map and get all the exp. I keep another mid-high level guy in the fourth slot for insurance or to take out characters that are too strong for the new guy, but otherwise I have him sit on the sidelines.

I've found this method way more effective than trying to put the new guy with another full team of similarly leveled people.

Shun

What do you make of the datamined F!Reflet event? When do you think we should expect that to go live?

I don't know, I would need to know her skills.

Seeing as wind is one of her options, you would think that her weapon grants her to do 50% extra to flying enemies.

Nacien was a free unit and has a base stat total of 170, so being free doesn't necessarily she will be bad. She might end up with better stats than her male counterpart.

But she needs to differentiate herself from her male counterpart, so being relatively fast to prevent doubles would be nice.

When they put it up, they put it up. Maybe next week? I really should be before the end of this week, but knowing IntSys they're going to continue to push this stuff at a modest pace.

My current team is a 5 star Fae and Male Robin, with a 4 Star Cain and Nowi. I substitute Fae and Nowi for a couple of my back up 4 Stars, which are ranged units, when I am facing a team that has a dragon killer in them. Thus far I have not struggled with this team setup. I would like to get another 5 Star down the road hopefully.

kayos90

I think it's important to classify the letters because I think people look at it and think some units are seriously not worth.

If a unit is SS it means they are straight up good in any situation and any composition pretty much. These units are pretty much broken and can have an entire comp built around them or fit into any without any issues at all. OP as fuck.

If a unit is S unit it means they excel in what they do and they're borderline broken if not broken. They will fit in nearly every composition without fail.

If a unit is A then it means that they are very good in almost everything or fulfills a certain niche. These units have its uses and will excel in a given situation but not every situation like the previous class of units. They may require a composition built around them and may not fit in all compositions.

Cerium

I don't know, I would need to know her skills.

Seeing as wind is one of her options, you would think that her weapon grants her to do 50% extra to flying enemies.

Nacien was a free unit and has a base stat total of 170, so being free doesn't necessarily she will be bad. She might end up with better stats than her male counterpart.

But she needs to differentiate herself from her male counterpart, so being relatively fast to prevent doubles would be nice.

When they put it up, they put it up. Maybe next week? I really should be before the end of this week, but knowing IntSys they're going to continue to push this stuff at a modest pace.

I'm holding off on upgrading Anna because I really want FemRobin to be good.

Hopefully we don't have to wait long.

Sushen

I just had the worst pull over where I got 5 3* characters and they're not even good ones. Losing motivation to play at the moment.

WadeitOut

Oh sorry, I actually already rerolled 2 other accounts saved those off and got 5* Marth (and 5* Lucina) there. My main/original account though I got a 4* Marth recently and was curious whether he was useful or not to train up. I have a 5* Takumi who's +Atk, -Res, and using a 4* Olivia (+Atk), 4* Abel, & 4* Gunter (with a 4* Anna and 4* Sharena on the sidelines to swap if necessary).

Ah gotcha. I personally want a Marth or Lucina in every team I made.

Shun

I think it's important to classify the letters because I think people look at it and think some units are seriously not worth.

If a unit is SS it means they are straight up good in any situation and any composition pretty much. These units are pretty much broken and can have an entire comp built around them or fit into any without any issues at all. OP as fuck.

If a unit is S unit it means they excel in what they do and they're borderline broken if not broken. They will fit in nearly every composition without fail.

If a unit is A then it means that they are very good in almost everything or fulfills a certain niche. These units have its uses and will excel in a given situation but not every situation like the previous class of units. They may require a composition built around them and may not fit in all compositions.

This is why I think a letter system for ranking is outright stupid because it gives you a skewed idea of how good a character is.

In what world is A considered "bad" in favor of some arbitrary S and SS, the way some people read a ranking list.

It's why I prefer a numerical system because you can total their pros and cons and give them a rating out of 10.

Party composition and synergy is the most important thing anyway, other than raw base stat totals.

PMS341

I've yet to pull another 5* since Takumi, and I've done multiple 20-orb pulls. Got kinda excited for the new set today but didn't get a single new character or anything special, really. :(

Azuran

Banned
Why is doubling the only method for dealing with tanks? His kit is designed to beat the shit out of a tank's defense and survive while giving your units the ability to absolutely dismantle them. It's absolutely viable and very good. People have this notion that DAMAGE DAMAGE DAMAGE is the only way of doing shit in this game lmao.

Also, Shareena competes for the Blue type slot but they fulfill different roles. I have no idea why you're comparing when their roles are different even if they both are blue. They do not even compete for the same niche.

The problem is that there's absolutely no diversity in teams whatsoever right now so units with specific roles are seen as pretty bad by most people because they can't fulfill their roles. The only tank people are using right now at high level is Hector, and no one is going to bring out Ephraim against that. Therefore, most people will call him garbage because the meta doesn't work in favor of his specific role.

Units like Ephraim will become more valuable in the future when the same three units aren't the one running the show like they are right now. Units like him are the one that shine the most because they have unique tools that will make them future proof for months to come.

I also agree that people put way too much stock in DAMAGE DAMAGE which is why a lot of units will always be underrated by most. This is even worse in gacha because when people pull, they want something that should theoretically one-hit kill everything on their path.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I've yet to pull another 5* since Takumi, and I've done multiple 20-orb pulls. Got kinda excited for the new set today but didn't get a single new character or anything special, really. :(

Yeh that's exactly how it's been for me. 4* Marth is my first lord I've gotten since Takumi and I've now finished off normal totally and hard (except 9-5) >_>... but my team still does pretty well in arena thus far (I'm still not at 4 40s, but I've just done 6 Advanced matches pretty easily with mid to low 30s thanks to Takumi + Olivia).

This is even worse in gacha because when people pull, they want something that should theoretically one-hit kill everything on their path.

That or a waifu. Thus people don't look at male characters who aren't obviously really good in some way.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
The problem is that there's absolutely no diversity in teams whatsoever right now so units with specific roles are seen as pretty bad by most people because they can't fulfill their roles. The only tank people are using right now at high level is Hector, and no one is going to bring out Ephraim against that. Therefore, most people will call him garbage because the meta doesn't work in favor of his specific role.

Units like Ephraim will become more valuable in the future when the same three units aren't the one running the show like they are right now. Units like him are the one that shine the most because they have unique tools that will make them future proof for months to come.

I also agree that people put way too much stock in DAMAGE DAMAGE which is why a lot of units will always be underrated by most. This is even worse in gacha because when people pull, they want something that should theoretically one-hit kill everything on their path.

This is exactly what I'm looking for in new units - skills that no one else has because, as you say, as the meta shifts different skills become more valuable.

Ilvocare

after my abysmal first pull all I did was save up for ages in order to pull on this banner

dumped 20 crystals first time today and got... like 2 4* lance users and a bunch of dupes

next 20?

time to begin the road to victory, fuck the tiers

ephy is like the ONE person I care about in the current 5* setup, I don't give dick about his skill setup

I'll make him work, just you wait

EDIT: for clarity this is the only 5* I own atm

Pejo

Hit 20 orbs, so I pulled 5 on the new banner. Got a 4* FemCorrin and Marth, as notables.

This also completes my Red Sword users collection almost entirely. Marth, Lucina, Chrom, Roy, Lyn, and Male Corrin. I need another red sword user like I need a kick to the nuts. I guess I still don't have lobster-man, but I'm sure he'll pop up sometime.

I'm so close to 20k feathers. I'm having a really hard time figuring out which unit to upgrade to 5* first. Male Robin probably addresses my biggest weakness, but he just seems....bad at 4*. I sure hope his 5* weapon makes up some difference, because he's losing to same level archers which is what I need him for in the first place.

I could also bring up a healer which seems like a waste, or FemCorrin/Fae/Nino. Blue feels like my biggest weakness right now though by far

redcrayon

Just tried out one of the simulators for summoning- in ten minutes worth of summoning and spending a theoretical £800+, I didn't get any of the three or four characters I was interested in. These kind of odds make me not even interested in spending the smallest amount of money as it's just incredibly unlikely to get me something of use. I think the way forward with these games (for me) is to just accept that I need to make the best teams I can out of what RNGesus blesses me with, as actively hunting for something seems pointless.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Just tried out one of the simulators for summoning- in ten minutes worth of summoning and spending a theoretical £800+, I didn't get any of the three or four characters I was interested in. These kind of odds make me not even interested in spending the smallest amount of money as it's just incredibly unlikely to get me something of use. I think the way forward with these games (for me) is to just accept that I need to make the best teams I can out of what RNGesus blesses me with, as actively hunting for something seems pointless.

That is the ONLY way to play these games unless you are going to whale out. It's insanity to try for specific units, outside of your initial rolls. The odds just aren't in your favor. Neither is my bank account when it comes to getting my units of choice.

Are buffs stackable? I have a couple characters with Hone Attack that gives +4 attack to adjacent units at the beginning of a round. Can I stack by surrounding an attacker with the Hone Attack units to give them +8 attack?

Ilvocare

Are buffs stackable? I have a couple characters with Hone Attack that gives +4 attack to adjacent units at the beginning of a round. Can I stack by surrounding an attacker with the Hone Attack units to give them +8 attack?

no

as someone with sharena and cherche on their current team, the "hone" buffs do not stack at all for the same stat

unfortunately

or maybe fortunately?

imagine takumi with all the attack forever

OceanBlue

Unlock her life leech skill too.

She'll be amazeballs. ;D
Lol is that Aether?

They don't. Stat buffs like that in general don't stack. If you have one of those +4 DEF to all characters through their next turn when you heal specials, it won't stack with Hone DEF. They do stack with stuff like Spur or Defiant skills though.

no

as someone with sharena and cherche on their current team, the "hone" buffs do not stack at all for the same stat

unfortunately

or maybe fortunately?

imagine takumi with all the attack forever

I was imagining that, for both my Takumis!

Thanks, understandable but disapointing.

Edit:

They don't. Stat buffs like that in general don't stack. If you have one of those +4 DEF to all characters when you heal specials, it won't stack with Hone DEF. They do stack with stuff like Spur or Defiant skills though.

Thanks!

Muffmuff

Neo Member
Pulled with 20 orbs for the new units, got Lucina, Cordelia and Robin.- Thanks Nintendo!

Its finally time to say goodbye to Final Fantasy Brave Exvius. No TM grinding and better rates feels so mutch more comforttable.

Add me to the pile needing advice on who to dump 20k feathers on. Any input appreciated.

Can't decide between Camilla and F Corrin. Initially it was a no-brainer as I had no other green units. Pulled Julia this morning though so that gap is filled. I have 2 physical blues but no magic offense, and now 1 green mage. It's tough to choose between the two.

I've been levelling them both as a B team in the tower and they both do serious work. Corrin's buffs are great and Camilla shreds most things that aren't Takumi/Red.

I guess Camilla doesn't need stats as much because her debuffs and buffs are her strenght, but it also seems the worm may have turned on Camilla? I heard she may be too frail? I dunno, someone make up my mind for me.

Choices like this are easy to obsess over when feathers are so damn scarce. Unless there's another 10k coming soon it'll ve a long as time before another promotion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom