• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Heroes |OT|The Future of Fire Emblem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theosmeo

show's over we already found the "worst taste" award

But the design philosophy is so cute! idk why people hate it so much, I didn't pay any money for it so it's a fun distraction like heroes

I don't think it's a strictly better game than fates but so many design choices in fates are so cynical, like making the full game $80 and the story derailing like it did. Everything about gaiden's design was meant to push the series forward, and what worked stayed

after 10,000 years she's finally level 40

Hey can you compare your stats with mine?
I want to know what my + / - is...

IMG_4869_zpsigyrccuj.png

PK Gaming

But the design philosophy is so cute! idk why people hate it so much, I didn't pay any money for it so it's a fun distraction like heroes

I don't think it's a strictly better game than fates but so many design choices in fates are so cynical, like making the full game $80 and the story derailing like it did. Everything about gaiden's design was meant to push the series forward, and what worked stayed

Fates (Conquest) also tried really hard to right the wrongs pushed forward by Awakening (and arguably FE9/10) and succeeded tremendously. Map design and overall balance reached series high, and it kept most of the best parts of Awakening (great UI, top tier music, Kozaki, etc)

I have a lot of 4* characters and not even enough feathers to get even one of them to 5*. Right now, I'm just trying to train up Fae and Effie.

I also happen to have a 5* Lyn, Roy, and Hinoka.

So, question: Is using a 4* Effie really better than using a 5* Hinoka?

I've currently decided that I'd focus my team around my 5* Lyn and 4* MRobin, and I've decided to use Fae for now. So, in that context, would using Effie work out better than Hinoka, or is it the rule that 5* characters are always better than 4* ones?

Theosmeo

Fates (Conquest) also tried really hard to right the wrongs pushed forward by Awakening (and arguably FE9/10) and succeeded tremendously. Map design and overall balance reached series high, and it kept most of the best parts of Awakening (great UI, top tier music, Kozaki, etc)

But it kept with Awakening's character design philosophy which is what i feel was lost the most. Every character in fates and awakening feels the same to me because they all have fairly similar growths and bases, making many of them feel samey to me. I like characters like Fiona or Barth or Treck because they're designed with a lot of personality and character. The Awakening and Fates characters all have reasonable bases and 40-50% growths. Just something I'm really sad about. I don't know what you meant about 9/10, I love them

SalvaPot

Honestly Fates main fault is that its bland. You get tons of new family members designed specifically to be your waifus and husbandos and even if that is the whole point of the story... its not a very interesting one.

It got a bit better in Revelations, but by that point I had a hard time caring about their characters. I only liked like 30% of them compared to me liking most of them in previous FE games. Also seen reused designs for characters really took me out of the game and I just couldn't take them seriously. I was not having fun so I dropped it.

Still want to pull Takumi tho. TOP TIER.

Cerium

I was not having fun so I dropped it.

That's really the bottom line as far as I'm concerned. It does a lot right in terms of presentation and mechanics, and I've consistently praised the latter in many threads. I also defend the fact that it was split into three parts.

But it's not a fun game. I can't stand playing it.

Zebetite

Banned
But it kept with Awakening's character design philosophy which is what i feel was lost the most. Every character in fates and awakening feels the same to me because they all have fairly similar growths and bases, making many of them feel samey to me. I like characters like Fiona or Barth or Treck because they're designed with a lot of personality and character. The Awakening and Fates characters all have reasonable bases and 40-50% growths. Just something I'm really sad about. I don't know what you meant about 9/10, I love them

fire emblem fates has a character who's renowned for the terrible misfortunes that befall him at every turn--he has a personal skill that reflects this, has a base luck of 1, and a luck growth of 5%. it has a dark mage with a lower mag growth than str who can reclass to be the only myrmidon in his route. a pair of staff users who are able to use promoted classes despite being level 1, and have maximum levels of 40 to compensate, making them the strangest examples of an earlygame prepremote to ever exist. it's got an archer who can completely ignore terrain movement penalties and a swordmaster with consistent 1-2 range. one ninja with a 45% strength growth and another ninja with a 70% strength growth.

what the fuck are you talking about?

uhhh

_woLf

There are quests to complete the new missions with the banner characters.

So there are quests you can only complete if you're lucky.

Fuck that design and fuck Nintendo for thinking that's okay. That is gross as hell.

Not even FFBE does that bullshit. It's been awhile since I've seen game design this bad from Nintendo.

Cerium

There are quests to complete the new missions with the banner characters.

So there are quests you can only complete if you're lucky.

Fuck that design and fuck Nintendo for thinking that's okay. That is gross as hell.

Not even FFBE does that bullshit. It's been awhile since I've seen game design this bad from Nintendo.

Are you really going to miss those rewards?

PK Gaming

Sorry, but you're completely off base. The older games had conservative, similar growths that were fairly lacking in personality. You bring up Treck, but his growths were:

85% 40% 30% 35% 50% 30% 5%

Compared that to Noah, who had:

75% 30% 45% 30% 40% 30% 10%

???

Awakening growths were overtuned, but Fates was very good at diversifying them.
Compare Hana (Samurai)

35% 65% 10% 60% 75% 40% 20% 40%

to Hinata (SamuraiI)

65% 45% 0% 40% 35% 60% 45% 25%

I brought up FE9/10 because they had gameplay issues that largely go ignored (BEXP, poor to atrocious character balance, PoR's map design could occasionally get gimmicky, forging is broken, LONG unskippable enemy turns (PoR)

Honestly Fates main fault is that its bland. You get tons of new family members designed specifically to be your waifus and husbandos and even if that is the whole point of the story... its not a very interesting one.

It got a bit better in Revelations, but by that point I had a hard time caring about their characters. I only liked like 30% of them compared to me liking most of them in previous FE games. Also seen reused designs for characters really took me out of the game and I just couldn't take them seriously. I was not having fun so I dropped it.

Still want to pull Takumi tho. TOP TIER.

While the pandering is admittedly offputting, I don't think the cast is inherently bad. Like just off the top of my head, there's Takumi crew, Reina, Gunter, Saizo, the Nohrian siblings... FE characters that can easily hang out with the best of them, and are absolutely on par with Awakening. The only low point was the kids, who were pretty mediocre.

Also Takumi isn't top tier. Never was and never will be.

Heroes is making want to play Echos now. I could huge maps and more then four characters now.
Think I might replay Conquest on Hard. Maybe actually try being optimal and just use base classes.

Umm did you just admit pirating the game?

that focus character quest is a weird thing tbh. looking that rewards, I see it as a pity reward if you ends up pulling non-5* focus characters and so here's a consolation to reduce your pain (and hopefully you have 20k feathers stocked!), but the current 4 doesn't have non-5* in the first place lol

Squarehard

I wish they would just have another Twitter event for another 10,000 feathers.

Make it more of a challenge, like 50,000 likes in a day this time, so they won't feel bitter they made a crappy challenge. :D

mstevens

I have quite a large stock of badges now, so I'm feeling less of a need to use up all my stamina each day on the tower. I guess I'm waiting on a good banner to use all my orbs so I can get some new units to level.

Golnei

While the pandering is admittedly offputting, I don't think the cast is inherently bad. Like just off the top of my head, there's Takumi crew, Reina, Gunter, Saizo, the Nohrian siblings... FE characters that can easily hang out with the best of them, and are absolutely on par with Awakening. The only low point was the kids, who were pretty mediocre.

Also Takumi isn't top tier. Never was and never will be.

Reina was robbed. Along with being a complete non-entity in Birthright, she was perfectly set up to be a recurring antagonist like Petrine in Conquest.

I would have loved to see them take the opportunity to give a few playable characters from opposite routes a reasonable amount of screentime in those roles, taking advantage of the combined perspectives of each to allow non-lead characters to have a greater amount of meaningful screentime and expanded characterisation; instead of throwing everything onto Hans and Iago.

Cerium

Reina was robbed. Along with being a complete non-entity in Birthright, she was perfectly set up to be a recurring antagonist like Petrine in Conquest.

I would have loved to see them take the opportunity to give a few playable characters from opposite routes a reasonable amount of screentime in those roles, taking advantage of the combined perspectives of each to allow non-lead characters to have a greater amount of meaningful screentime and expanded characterisation; instead of throwing everything onto Hans and Iago.

I remember reading in an interview that they brought on some manga artist as a story consultant and he told them, and I'm not even exaggerating, he told them to dumb it down so that kids can understand it.

I sincerely hope they do better on Switch. I cannot take another Fates.

edit: This man. Shin Kibayashi. I blame him for everything.

Vena

leveling sheena and i know she's a tank, but damn can she tank. is that what hector feels like minus the counterattack?

Both Sheena and Hector are "massive" units because they both have crazy stat totals at 180/184 respectively. Hector is more offensively oriented, whereas Sheena and her skills are more defensively oriented.

Sheena has no "weakness" other than weapon triangle, as she has an ability that negates Hammers/Armorslayers/Heavy Spears, and she has no "weak" defensive stat as she boasts massive defense, resistance, and hit points. She also doesn't get ORKOed by Tiki and Nowi, but I have no idea how she does against the less-prevalent Fae.

Armads and Killer Axe+ do different things, but again highlight the offensive tilt for Hector vs. the defense (Escutcheon, which Killer Axe turns into a 1-turn Ougi) tilt of Sheena.

Sushen

How do people get so many feathers to upgrade to 5 star? I don't get how I'm supposed to get 20,000. I can only see 2 challenges with 1000 each..

5 feather "rewards" is almost an insult.

Cerium

How do people get so many feathers to upgrade to 5 star? I don't get how I'm supposed to get 20,000. I can only see 2 challenges with 1000 each..

Arena weeklies. A modest effort should get you at least 3,000 a week.

Also they gave us 10,000 as a bonus last week.

If you're willing to sacrifice heroes, sending them home gives you feathers as well.

Shun

You can get 6,000 a month from the arena missions.

If you rank within the top 1000-5000 each week, you can earn at least 4,600 feathers a week, 18,400 feathers a month.

You will get a total of 24,400 feathers a month if you rank that high and can do a 5 star a month at that pace.

Even at top 10,000 you should still have enough to do it.

You can also reduce and delete characters you don't need for feathers. There are tons of ways to get them in game.

Alucrid

Banned
Sheena is like a pure tank.. Hector tanks and hit back hard. Sheena can absorb damage and help her teammates survive better

Both Sheena and Hector are "massive" units because they both have crazy stat totals at 180/184 respectively. Hector is more offensively oriented, whereas Sheena and her skills are more defensively oriented.

Sheena has no "weakness" other than weapon triangle, as she has an ability that negates Hammers/Armorslayers/Heavy Spears, and she has no "weak" defensive stat as she boasts massive defense, resistance, and hit points. She also doesn't get ORKOed by Tiki and Nowi, but I have no idea how she does against the less-prevalent Fae.

Armads and Killer Axe+ do different things, but again highlight the offensive tilt for Hector vs. the defense (Escutcheon, which Killer Axe turns into a 1-turn Ougi) tilt of Sheena.

ah okay, thanks for the info. can definitely see her replacing camilla in my team.

alcheim

They should just make feathers purchasable with orbs. Like 1 orb = 1000 feathers. That way, you have a choice of ranking up someone to 5*, or doing a 5-pull.

nubbe

Tanks only move one square, so I almost think they should be able to attack 1 and 2 squares if they initialize

but not be able to retaliate over 2 squares

PK Gaming

Yeah, I agree completely

The most exciting parts about Conquest was when you'd face off against the Hoshidans (and their whacked out skillsets), but it's mostly relegated to the lategame.

Shun

that's ridiculous, 1,000 feathers is the equivalent of reducing a 5 star character and the game is supposed to sell you that for 1 ORB?

That's a fast way to completely divide the audience and not be able to keep up content with player progression if you can go upgrade 5 star characters that easily.

You can earn them by ranking in arena, it's not difficult if you put the effort into doing the quests.

ggx2ac

I remember reading in an interview that they brought on some manga artist as a story consultant and he told them, and I'm not even exaggerating, he told them to dumb it down so that kids can understand it.

I sincerely hope they do better on Switch. I cannot take another Fates.

edit: This man. Shin Kibayashi. I blame him for everything.

That was probably the Iwata asks interview but I haven't properly checked.

It feels like Fates story telling got carried over into Heroes.

It's going to suck if FE Switch will be just as bad.

Vena

Tanks only move one square, so I almost think they should be able to attack 1 and 2 squares if they initialize

but not be able to retaliate over 2 squares

Tanks like Sheena and Hector make units with "move" utility that much more viable on teams that can exploit it. Put Sheena/Hector on a team with Roy or Barst or Selena or whatever has Reposition/Shove/etc because they can they get moved around rapidly and put into position to attack/defend.

They have low movement but they have universally enormous stat totals. I mean, they have like 20-30+ stats over some of the best characters in the game like Kagero.

divusrex

I have 2 Ephraims, one is +ATK/-RES and the other is -HP/+RES. Which copy should I keep?

My inclination is to get rid of the -HP/+RES since his RES stat is already very low, and having the boost in ATK would help Ephraim deal with certain tanks.

Dragner

You have two right!?

Nope. I only bothered on getting the 3* version.

Its not the end of the world since he isnt great and wasnt going to use him or anything but I wanted to keep him. I was trying to skip him while sending other 3s home but instead skipped a Clarine. Lesson learned, next time fav.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I have the following:

5 star
Young Tiki (+1)
Lyn
Eirika
Chrom

I want to use two reds, but now sure which two. The only other 5 star I have is Cecilia (green mage). Looking for suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom