• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Heroes |OT|The Future of Fire Emblem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Mine:

Five-Star Reds: Tiki, Lyn
Five-Star Greens: Raven, Sheena, Anna
Five-Star Blues: Cordelia
Five-Star Colorless: Takumi

How are Tiki and Cordelia at 5-star, especially in Arena against the common teams that run rampant?

Cerium

How are Tiki and Cordelia at 5-star, especially in Arena against the common teams that run rampant?

Tiki is absolutely fantastic, she makes Hector a free win, she can tank most things, she hits hard and can heal your adjacent units. Love her.

Cordelia fills an important niche for me, and that is annihilating the fuck out of anything red. There's a lot of red in the meta right now so she she's been eating well. Flying is also often a useful trait.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Main Account: (this account hates me...)

2nd account
Five-Star Reds: Marth, Lucina,
Five-Star Colorless: Sakura

3rd Account
Five-Star Reds: Marth, Lucina, Lyn
Five-Star Blues: Ephraim
(this account also has a 4* Robin, 4* Effie, 3* Nino, & 4* MCorrin)

How do you two have so many 5*s btw? Are you both f2p?

Cerium

Main Account: (this account hates me...)

2nd account
Five-Star Reds: Marth, Lucina,
Five-Star Colorless: Sakura

3rd Account
Five-Star Reds: Marth, Lucina, Lyn
Five-Star Blues: Ephraim
(this account also has a 4* Robin, 4* Effie, 3* Nino, & 4* MCorrin)

How do you two have so many 5*s btw? Are you both f2p?

I am f2p. I have 107 orbs saved up that I haven't used. I've just been a little lucky. My roommate is also f2p and he has better pulls than I do.

I plan to do some green only pulls for Nino but I'm otherwise saving up for Choose Your Legends.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
In high ratings I see Lucina/Tiki on every team.

They're always merged too.

So they fuse into Luciki? or Tina? haha jk.

I am f2p. I have 107 orbs saved up that I haven't used. I've just been a little lucky. My roommate is also f2p and he has better pulls than I do.

I plan to do some green only pulls for Nino but I'm otherwise saving up for Choose Your Legends.
That's pretty awesome. Yeh I have 93 orbs saved on my account for... Choose Your Legends I guess? Effie/Nino might not be too bad though.

lt519

4 pulls all three stars to match my three stars from the last banner... Ooh well just hope the arena doesn't have just these heroes as bonus again, if it does I might be done if that's how it's going to be moving forward. I don't want to have to buy orbs for a chance at a character that'll handicap me just so I can get bonus points like dumb Odin ):

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
4 pulls all three stars to match my three stars from the last banner... Ooh well just hope the arena doesn't have just these heroes as bonus again, if it does I might be done if that's how it's going to be moving forward. I don't want to have to buy orbs for a chance at a character that'll handicap me just so I can get bonus points like dumb Odin ):

Well last time they had Narcian, which was obtainable for free in the Grand Hero Battle. Thus, we're assuming FRobin will be a bonus unit next time.

lt519

Well last time they had Narcian, which was obtainable for free in the Grand Hero Battle. Thus, we're assuming FRobin will be a bonus unit next time.

True, point still stands though, not fun dragging around dead weight. I guess they need to get people to spend each banner somehow.

Durden77

I just recently advanced Cecilia to 5* and I think she's awesome in the current meta. She demolishes Takumi, Linde, Kagero, Robin and has good mobility.

I needed both a 5* tome user and 5* green though, so it was an obvious choice for me. Certainly haven't regretted it, though.

Yeah after thinking about it I also need a Tome user and another green, so I think I'm going to go with Cecilia as well. Thanks!

Also how are people getting feathers? I want to promote some folks to 5* but I only have like 6,000.

Quixzlizx

Yeah after thinking about it I also need a Tome user and another green, so I think I'm going to go with Cecilia as well. Thanks!

Also how are people getting feathers? I want to promote some folks to 5* but I only have like 6,000.

Finish the Arena quests and score well in Arena every week.

Is there any faster way to obtain feathers?

I am doing arena and sending heroes home but I am only barely over halfway to advancing 1 of 4 on my 4 star team.

Already did all available quests as well

Cerium

Is there any faster way to obtain feathers?

I am doing arena and sending heroes home but I am only barely over halfway to advancing 1 of 4 on my 4 star team.

Already did all available quests as well

They gave away 10,000 free feathers but I'm not sure if it's possible to miss that or not

I upgraded Anna to 5* and I get about 3,600 feathers a week from casual Arena.

Anyone emerging as a great character from this banner. Seems the red Calvary sword is good? I got him and rerolled since everything else was garbage and he was -def

Got one.

QTLwqzF.png

Two rounds of summoning basically trash. Zero desire to actually level characters because it's too annoying when you have level disparities. And I've been waiting weeks to level Robin from 4* to 5*.

... I'd stop playing, but I actually like the gameplay. I don't want to shitpost, because obviously the game continues to have some draw, but I'd love some QoL increases.

Mupod

Anyone emerging as a great character from this banner. Seems the red Calvary sword is good? I got him and rerolled since everything else was garbage and he was -def

he seems like he'd be the king of screwing people over on defense, but I don't see any characters I'd use. The red mage seems ok, really high attack.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Two rounds of summoning basically trash. Zero desire to actually level characters because it's too annoying when you have level disparities. And I've been waiting weeks to level Robin from 4* to 5*.

... I'd stop playing, but I actually like the gameplay. I don't want to shitpost, because obviously the game continues to have some draw, but I'd love some QoL increases.

Yeh it also took me no time at all (< 100 stamina I think?) to finish the new content. I would pull then, but it sounds like a lot of these characters aren't all the great. Some are decent, others are bad, but there's no clearly good color lol. I could really use another 5* though... got to continue saving feathers then to get my 2nd.

MildSoss

Camilla just isn't cutting it on my Takumi, MRobin and Olivia team. Have to really baby her but unfortunately she's my only real defense against other MRobin teams.

I did pull a 4 star -Def/+Res Nino though, thinking of upgrading her to a 5 star after tonight or should I just wait for her banner?

Quixzlizx

Camilla just isn't cutting it on my Takumi, MRobin and Olivia team. Have to really baby her but unfortunately she's my only real defense against other MRobin teams.

I did pull a 4 star -Def/+Res Nino though, thinking of upgrading her to a 5 star after tonight or should I just wait for her banner?

I can tell you that even a 4* Nino will eviscerate MRobin.

Acerac

Banned
I just continue leveling nonsense characters that will probably never see play. I don't have too much difficulty with level disparities, if somebody falls behind I'll go out of my way to feed them kills, or if they fall way behind I can cut them for somebody a bit higher level. Once you get to have a decent variety of characters and levels, filling in holes becomes a much easier process.

Granted, if I didn't enjoy the basic gameplay this'd seem terribly dull to me with how slow leveling is, but I like tinkering with comps.

Yeh it also took me no time at all (< 100 stamina I think?) to finish the new content. I would pull then, but it sounds like a lot of these characters aren't all the great. Some are decent, others are bad, but there's no clearly good color lol. I could really use another 5* though... got to continue saving feathers then to get my 2nd.

Make that 60 orbs of trash; I don't even know why I pulled. I have 5* characters: Lyn, Marth, Roy, Lucina, Minerva, Takumi, and Camilla. I just wanted something other than daily arena, I guess.

I suppose I can finish off the story in Lunatic and get more orbs.

Just feels like a too-slow content drip.

5* Camilla took a backseat for me when I pulled Julia. The abundance of Takumi and Red in the metagame is hurting her. She will still be very valuable on Story Maps, but now is not her best time to shine.

Still not a bad unit, though, and I am still happy to have her.

Moonlight

Banned
And with the brief excitement of the next set of launch celebration maps and the new Paralogues done there's now... nothing really left to do now except wait till the next content update, lol. Hopefully, March gets off to a running start. Or at the very least they start better communicating their long term plans.

Totakeke

Ignoring stat totals, which only Eldigan would qualify as good out of the group, I think Klein is the best one out of the group.

Klein has a really synergistic set of skills. Death Blow works great with his Brave Bow, and then Quick Riposte allows him to charge his special even faster for more KOs without even taking a hit. He does need more attack buffs to really shine though. At neutral, he does 88 damage on offense, that would take out all fliers easily and killing another 22 characters at neutral. With one attack buff, he adds another 18 characters to the list. So that leaves the list popular characters that he can't kill without taking a hit to include Marth, Chrom, Sharena, Young Tiki, Hector, Effie, Nowi, Ephraim... and that's probably it. After killing two units, which shouldn't be too much of a problem for him, then he can use his special to do more 19 or 20 more damage to a third unit without taking a hit.

Reinhardt is good in that same sense but less due to his lower attack, making him do 82 damage at neutral. That doesn't seem like much if he's colorless but since he's blue he takes out all red units in two hits with one attack buff. I don't think Vantage does much for him considering he dies to pretty much everyone except healers and a few others at 22 speed. I think Olwen is interesting because she has Reposition as a Calvary, but need to see her final stats to make a better judgment.

And with the brief excitement of the next set of launch celebration maps and the new Paralogues done there's now... nothing really left to do now except wait till the next content update, lol. Hopefully, March gets off to a running start. Or at the very least they start better communicating their long term plans.

My biggest complaint is the lack of story. And I realize that FE isn't generally known for stories (I'm guessing?), but compare this to a Final Fantasy: Brave Exvius, and there's at least a consistent narrative that's interesting -- mostly because of a self-aware localization.

The dialogue in this game is outright limited and cringey, and that's really the worst for me.

Cerium

My biggest complaint is the lack of story. And I realize that FE isn't generally known for stories (I'm guessing?), but compare this to a Final Fantasy: Brave Exvius, and there's at least a consistent narrative that's interesting -- mostly because of a self-aware localization.

The dialogue in this game is outright limited and cringey, and that's really the worst for me.
Fire Emblem tells stories primarily through support conversations that flesh out the characters, their relationships, and the world they live in. As far as I know it's a unique approach to storytelling in games and at its best it's really quite rich and satisfying. The best supports are woven around a simple but compelling central narrative that provide a springboard for everything else; some entries are better at this than others. Fates was terrible for example, while Awakening was actually really good. When it works you get attached to your units, and due to the traditional permadeath this attachment compels you to form your strategy around keeping everyone alive. It's a brilliant blending of narrative and gameplay in a strategy rpg format.

Heroes has none of that though. The resources needed to implement support conversations for every single character would probably be impractical; that's why we get the level 40 conversations instead.

Fire Emblem tells stories primarily through support conversations that flesh out the characters, their relationships, and the world they live in. As far as I know it's a unique approach to storytelling in games and at its best it's really quite rich and satisfying. The best supports are woven around a simple but compelling central narrative that provide a springboard for everything else; some entries are better at this than others. Fates was terrible for example.

Heroes has none of that though. The resources needed to implement support conversations for every single character would probably be impractical; that's why we get the level 40 conversations instead.

Yeah, I've played Awakening and all 3 versions of Fates. I do want to play some of the earlier games as well. I also understand that you have to weave the gacha narrative ("Let's ally with heroes to defend against the enemy!") into things, and I can't complain about the summoning gates meta-plot.

But when we get one paralogue every other week, "I want to bone my sister. Please break our contract," it's very underwhelming.

Anyway, I just chugged stamina bottles and I'm cruising through Lunatic, and I do have a pretty decent team, even despite the gacha misfortune; I also trust Nintendo and IntSys, for that matter. I just want to see what the long-term plans are!

Garou

So now that the first month is about to end, what's everyone's statistics on their pulls?

I have 89 heroes right now, haven't sent or merged or upgraded anyone. 12 heroes x 2 were the daily bonus heroes, another 2 x 2 as the special heroes makes 28 free heroes. You start with 6 heroes, so the total amount of free heroes is 34, which means I did pull 55 heroes = 11 full 20 orb pulls (I only do full pulls).
My result:

8 five-star out of 11 full pulls = 72% for five-star per full pull.

I did another round of pulling and got 5* Eldigan and 5* Hawkeye. (Don't even know if they're any good, except the last thing I needed was another red sword when I've got Lucina, Marth, Roy, AND Lyn.) Eld's got interesting skills, though... and Hawkeye's eye candy, I guess.

I don't know my pull stats. I know that I've got solid units; they do need leveling, however, and I feel like I'm lopsided towards -- well, obviously -- red swords. My blues are limited to F!Corrin, M!Robin, and Cordelia. Greens... well, Camilla does everything.

And I desperately need a red tome.

Jims

8 five-star out of 11 full pulls = 72% for five-star per full pull.

Wow, that is crazy lucky. You should go to Vegas! Looking at a 6% pull rate for 5 stars (3 base + 3 focus), you're not going to pull a 5-star unit (in 5 summons) about 73% of the time. Assuming I did the odds right. You're getting them at about 2-3 times the rate than average.

I've only gotten:

5* units - 3 (Seliph/Camilla/Effie)
4* units - 18 (I promoted 3 of them manually, though)
3* units - 30 (but sent home or merged at least 10 dupes by now)
(Looks like I'm right smack in the middle of that statistical bell curve, lol.)

I regret not taking the time to re-roll at the beginning. I kinda like the idea of just letting fate decide who my favorites become, but it would've been way more efficient to just re-roll and get a good start.

Golnei

Yeah, I've played Awakening and all 3 versions of Fates. I do want to play some of the earlier games as well. I also understand that you have to weave the gacha narrative ("Let's ally with heroes to defend against the enemy!") into things, and I can't complain about the summoning gates meta-plot.

But when we get one paralogue every other week, "I want to bone my sister. Please break our contract," it's very underwhelming.

Even with the necessary constraints due to format, they could definitely be doing a lot more. A decent effort at a story really would help provide some sort of incentive to foster long-term investment, and it seems like they're attempting the absolute minimum.

That's one aspect where the continually-updated nature of a service game could work to their advantage - if they had just included two or three support conversations for each character at launch instead of the individual level 40 conversations, it would have still been able to fulfill that function. And due to the supports requiring two characters by nature, the addition of new units would continue to expand the available supports of existing characters.

Durden77

So at first I really loved the balance between the gasha and leveling in this game. Now I'm starting to question it.

Because it costs SO MANY damn feathers to up* characters, without readily reliable ways to get feathers, and with the potential of pulling a higher star version of them too, then it makes leveling a character from a low * level feel kind of like a waste.

Which sucks because I'm more into this game because of the building characters up and getting attached to them aspect rather than the gasha. But it's starting to not seem worth it to up * the characters I love because I may just pull a better version of them.

1upsuper

So what are everyone's favorite character portraits added to Heroes? Do you think any are particularly good (re)interpretations of characters, or just look cool in general? I know lots of them get hate and some are very questionable: Eliwood is undoubtedly a travesty. But what do you think are the good ones?

I quite like Sully's art, and I'm not even really a fan of her in Awakening. I actually prefer the new art for Catria, Eirika, and Ephraim compared to their original sprites. Lucina and Odin are also good IMO. And Takumi is good too.

champloo

So at first I really loved the balance between the gasha and leveling in this game. Now I'm starting to question it.

Because it costs SO MANY damn feathers to up* characters, without readily reliable ways to get feathers, and with the potential of pulling a higher star version of them too, then it makes leveling a character from a low * level feel kind of like a waste.

Which sucks because I'm more into this game because of the building characters up and getting attached to them aspect rather than the gasha. But it's starting to not seem worth it to up * the characters I love because I may just pull a better version of them.

Well there is also character natures. where it's much more likely to pull a unit with perfect IV of 3* or 4*, which could end up being better than a base 5*. but yeah, hopefully there will be a mode where we can exchange these abundant stamina for feathers.

So what are everyone's favorite character portraits added to Heroes? Do you think any are particularly good (re)interpretations of characters, or just look cool in general? I know lots of them get hate and some are very questionable: Eliwood is undoubtedly a travesty. But what do you think are the good ones?

I quite like Sully's art, and I'm not even really a fan of her in Awakening. I actually prefer the new art for Catria, Eirika, and Ephraim compared to their original sprites. Lucina and Odin are also good IMO. And Takumi is good too.

I like it that they are letting different artist doing the portraits. makes the cast feel diverse. My favorite is Gunter's & Zephiel's, so badass.

spiritfox

I like Hinoka's, Hawkeye's and Effie's artist. His colors are nice.

Eirika and Ephraim also look much better compared to Wada's original designs.

1upsuper

I like Hinoka's, Hawkeye's and Effie's artist. His colors are nice.

Eirika and Ephraim also look much better compared to Wada's original designs.

I agree on both counts. They've toned down the absurd hair characteristic of so many portraits in the earlier FE titles, which is a good thing, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom