• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Heroes |OT|The Future of Fire Emblem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Converge

Neo Member
I've played the game for a few hours now, with three 5 star characters maxed out (Takumi, Lyn and Tiki), and I'm not having much fun anymore. The gameplay is too shallow and dumbed down (I either win almost effortless or I get stomped) and the upgrade system is too confusing. I don't want to consult a bunch of websites to know if my characters are any good or how to not waste my precious feathers. As this is my first gacha game I was hoping for a more streamlined experience. I mean, it's a Nintendo game after all and these guys know a thing or two about accessibility.

kswiston

I am bummed that Arena is using the same characters again this week. I thought that some of the new summons would be included. I wonder if I can make better progress with a 4* Catria than I did with Seliph last week. Being doubled by every single unit really cut down on his usefulness.

Where are you guys seeing the upcoming banners in advance?

This game is fairly generous in terms of orbs, but the Stamina bar is baaaaad.

The other gacha game I played, Metal Slug Attack, probably had an hour or two worth of gameplay before you hit the "spend currency to continue" wall. And after that you could play PvP for as long as you wanted. Whereas here you can play, like, five missions at higher levels before Stamina runs out, and then do three Arena matches, and that's it.

Yeah, the stamina is ridiculous. I burnt through orbs last night clearing the story on Lunatic, and when you can only do two battles before running out of stamina, that's a problem.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Another 5 straight 3*. I can't believe some have so many 5* while rest of us get crops, and even worse, running out of orbs. I don't know how I'm supposed to beat those high level lunatic levels with my mediocre team.
I just blew one of the free light's blessings on each of the last threeish final chapter lunatic maps.

I went in, killed whoever I could, wiped, pressed "Continue" to use a light's blessing and then finished off the rest.

I have no idea what else I would use those light's blessings on, anyway.

Sölf

I actually wouldn't have a problem with the stamina if it would at least be so much that one could sleep without thinking "OH GOD I AM WASTING STAMINA IF I SLEEP MORE THAN 4 HOURS!"

Ninferno

I am bummed that Arena is using the same characters again this week. I thought that some of the new summons would be included. I wonder if I can make better progress with a 4* Catria than I did with Seliph last week. Being doubled by every single unit really cut down on his usefulness.

The banners change every two weeks, so the bonus characters change every two weeks too. It synchronizes and that does make sense. Wouldn't you be mad if you are someone who paid to roll some banner characters only to find out that they are only in the arena bonus character set for a week? The only odd thing here is why the bonus characters have to change one week later than the banners; why not change at the same time?

But then again, it is actually the original Legendary heroes and deep devotion banners' "fault" because they stayed as arena bonus characters for one more week for no apparent reasons. Maybe Nintendo just thinks that these characters are so popular according to the popularity poll that if they don't stay longer there will be riot? :)

Mupod

when I don't have time to burn 50 stamina on grinding up random characters I throw my best team at 9-5. I feel like I find out something else bullshit about that level every time.

Last time I baited the blue mage into moving forward and attacking Merric. It took about 70% damage from his counterattack, but apparently the red sword had Wings of Mercy and teleported over to one shot Merric during their turn. Like what the fuck.

Stamina potions and duel swords are the only things worth getting. Blessings can't be used anywhere but story mode and the training tower. But why would you waste it on training?

Pejo

when I don't have time to burn 50 stamina on grinding up random characters I throw my best team at 9-5. I feel like I find out something else bullshit about that level every time.

Last time I baited the blue mage into moving forward and attacking Merric. It took about 70% damage from his counterattack, but apparently the red sword had Wings of Mercy and teleported over to one shot Merric during their turn. Like what the fuck.

Pretty sure the setup of that level only exists as a tutorial on how to use those Recovery Amulets to revive. (I totally agree that it's bullshit)

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Ill quit in 2 weeks max if IS doesnt fo something with the game. Arena is unplayable for me because Im being paired constantly vs whale accounts. I can win flawless 7 matches, is impossible.

Also lack of content, nothing to do, nothing to grind. I will giveaway my accouny in 2 weeks if nothing changes. Is absurd I have to feel rage just because matchmaking of a game because is so unfair I feel frustrated. So yeah I will giveaway my account if nothing changes.

Also hacks rampaging the game wont help make me stay.

Ill stay until inheritance announcement, if its somehing for whales only then fuck this game.

Yeah I just saw that there are easy to implement hacks in the game (how?? so many other games prevent this just fine). FEH is going into the "log in once a day" pile. Oh well.

I'd guess part of the reason why the Arena's using the same characters as last week is because of how being Lv. 40 is practically mandatory for a high score; how meaningless low-level Arena is if you can't even make it to 3000 score, let alone top 100k. The 1-week gap between new characters and them being arena characters acts as a buffer to get them to 40.

As for how people know about the upcoming banner, datamined images from the latest patch.

Sölf;231187875 said:
I actually wouldn't have a problem with the stamina if it would at least be so much that one could sleep without thinking "OH GOD I AM WASTING STAMINA IF I SLEEP MORE THAN 4 HOURS!"

I think the same thing in the back of my mind. lol

kswiston

As for how people know about the upcoming banner, datamined images from the latest patch.

Where are they typically posted? I can find stuff on Google after the fact, but what would be a good site to follow for game news like that?

These off banners on pre-existing base-3 characters are a good idea considering how rare feathers are. However, it looks like Nino is the only one worth going for in the next set.

Pulled a 5 Star Sanaki yesterday not bad. I have three 5 Star Mages and a two 5 star dragons but no Sword, Lance and Axe characters that are 5 star. I would love at least a normal weapon type at 5 star.

Mupod

I was going over the descriptions on that tier list and it mentions a plus for Nowi being that she can potentially survive Falchion users due to her high defense and blue typing. That has very much not been the case for me. Maybe if she was speed/defense buffed or it was like a -atk Chrom or something.

Also I just started thinking that a Nowi with Vantage would be really scary due to her having a built in ranged counter and the ability to fuck up low resistance red swords. Wonder if they'll even allow that...maybe I should think about promoting mine (+def/-res). My team's already magic damage top-heavy, but her res debuff would help.

Where are they typically posted? I can find stuff on Google after the fact, but what would be a good site to follow for game news like that?

These off banners on pre-existing base-3 characters are a good idea considering how rare feathers are. However, it looks like Nino is the only one worth going for in the next set.

I want Effie pretty bad...

Pejo

Ok dudes, I'm considering my next 5* upgrade, and it's currently between Effie and Nino. This upgrade is basically going to be my unit adjuster.

Nino
+More movement spaces at standard 2
+Can pull back into safety, if at the start of a round
+Ranged attack
+Green in a sea of only axes on my team (Camilla, Raven)
+Current team has lots of buffs = lots of attack boost for her

-Can't take much of a hit
-Can only adjust units position one space
-Melts to lots of red sword users, which are common

Effie
+A tank unit. I currently have 0 at 5*
+Can move a unit forward 2 spaces at the start of a fight, to get to those pesky cavalry units placed just out of reach
+Good vs. sea of red sword users
+Great lure unit to make enemy come to you

-1 space movement sucks
-Hitting a unit into enemy territory is often a suicide mission for that unit
-Not sure how I like Wary Fighter. I mean with speed so low, she's probably never going to get a double attack anyways, so it's probably good?

Opinions? I could also try a roll on the upcoming rumored banner to get a native Nino 5* and save the feathers, I guess, but I'm trying to save for the inevitable Ike banners.

MANUELF

Banned
Ok dudes, I'm considering my next 5* upgrade, and it's currently between Effie and Nino. This upgrade is basically going to be my unit adjuster.

Nino
+More movement spaces at standard 2
+Can pull back into safety, if at the start of a round
+Ranged attack
+Green in a sea of only axes on my team (Camilla, Raven)
+Current team has lots of buffs = lots of attack boost for her

-Can't take much of a hit
-Can only adjust units position one space
-Melts to lots of red sword users, which are common

Effie
+A tank unit. I currently have 0 at 5*
+Can move a unit forward 2 spaces at the start of a fight, to get to those pesky cavalry units placed just out of reach
+Good vs. sea of red sword users
+Great lure unit to make enemy come to you

-1 space movement sucks
-Hitting a unit into enemy territory is often a suicide mission for that unit
-Not sure how I like Wary Fighter. I mean with speed so low, she's probably never going to get a double attack anyways, so it's probably good?

Opinions? I could also try a roll on the upcoming rumored banner to get a native Nino 5* and save the feathers, I guess, but I'm trying to save for the inevitable Ike banners.
Them both are in the next banner so you can pull them at 5*

1upsuper

I kind of like the sharply outlined style from AKIRA for the likes of chiseled Arthur and yes, Olivia. I see that HAKO appeals to me based on Felicia and Caeda. Don't know who did Kagero (not in roster) but that one was a hit the moment I saw her.

I don't like how Setsuna and Henry turned out, so seeing that those were done by the same individual was predictable. Mind, I like both characters in their games proper.

But I'd still rather this variety of approaches to keep things interesting.

Agreed. I don't mind that a lot of the character designs, by virtue of the eclectic bunch of artists, don't mesh. It gives them unique identity and also fits the theme of multiple worlds. I like Arthur and Olivia's designs overall. I think the artist made the most out of what they had to work with with Olivia.

Also, I forgot about Kagero. I actually think she looks leagues better in Heroes than she does in Fates.

The person that did the art for the "old men" is amazing, I love them all: Gunter, Jagen and Ogma are who I own. The one that looks kinda pencil drawn.
The colorful and nice soft style for Kagero and Saizo is beautiful too. There's an artist named ZaZa who I find hit and miss, the art really works for Lissa, but poor Florina is a horrible Moe blob now.

The Codename:Steam artist AKIRA really stands out to me, Raven is probably my favorite character portrait that I have seen up close. Arthur looks great in their style too, it's a perfect fit. I don't like Olivia, but there's only so much you can do with an outfit made of cutouts held together by see through shawls.

Yeah, the artwork for the old guys is great too. They have sort of an old video game manual aesthetic to them, IMO, which I like.

Also, the artist for Etrian Odyssey did the artwork for Raigh and Fae and maybe someone else, right? He's got a very distinct, colorful style.

Golnei

Yeah, the artwork for the old guys is great too. They have sort of an old video game manual aesthetic to them, IMO, which I like.

Your impression is accurate, given that the artist also worked on things like Rondo of Blood's original cover.

85048608cbd493e1beb34ae38a70974c.jpg

Akuun

Is Setsuna any good? I was looking at her kit and she seems like a dagger/bow counter unit. Wouldn't that make her a good counter to fliers, Takumi and Kagero? Why is she so low on the tier list?

Xetherion

Is Setsuna any good? I was looking at her kit and she seems like a dagger/bow counter unit. Wouldn't that make her a good counter to fliers, Takumi and Kagero? Why is she so low on the tier list?

Had this conversation a few pages back. Basically her stats are poorly distributed to take advantage of her kit. High spd (don't need spd when you have dagger/bow breaker), low atk and def.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Just faced an Eirika + Speed Takumi duo (+ an Olivia, thankfully she just ventured off on her own)... and that was freaking scary. Eirika and Takumi kept traveling together, and Takumi could OHKO any character on my team by doubling (Sharena, Olivia, my +ATK -RES Takumi and my deadweight Narcian).... eventually I killed off Eirika, lost Sharena, and then beat Takumi by dancing with my Takumi but jeez...

Akuun

Had this conversation a few pages back. Basically her stats are poorly distributed to take advantage of her kit. High spd (don't need spd when you have dagger/bow breaker), low atk and def.
I must have missed that conversation. Thanks.

I have one that's +atk -spd so I wonder if that helps offset that stuff? I'll keep her on the back burner for now since I'm hurting for ranged damage pretty badly.

Firemind

Wary Fighter might be the best skill an armor knight could have. Better than Distant Counter even since the latter doesn't save you when you're at a triangle disadvantage and getting doubled. Wary Fighter makes it so that you can always count on her to take the blunt of an attack.

Akuun

Effie is really really good. She's like Hector in that if you don't have a unit who can counter her (or if that unit died during the fight), she can singlehandedly drop the rest of your team, despite weapon disadvantages.

I ran into an Effie back when Camilla was my blue counter. Effie tanked Camilla without breaking a sweat, and then killed her on the counterattack. D:

Dragner

Wary Fighter might be the best skill an armor knight could have. Better than Distant Counter even since the latter doesn't save you when you're at a triangle disadvantage and getting doubled. Wary Fighter makes it so that you can always count on her to take the blunt of an attack.

Unless you are hector an combine Distant counter with guarantee double attack on revenge.

kswiston

It's sort of funny to see how over-rated the brave weapons and follow-up attack skills were when this game launched a month ago. Leo and Camilla were briefly considered SS tier. Now according to feheroes.wiki they are in the A and A+ tiers.

Silly me totally forgot that there were hard and lunatic quests, so I've spent the last two days scrambling to finish them and pick up the extra orbs, stamina potions, and dueling crests.

Roman

It's sort of funny to see how over-rated the brave weapons and follow-up attack skills were when this game launched a month ago. Leo and Camilla were briefly considered SS tier. Now according to feheroes.wiki they are in the A and A+ tiers.

We weren't aware how decisive stat totals are for the arena score. Units like Cordelia, Takumi and Robin are great in a vacuum but suffer in that regard. That said, I doubt that particular tier list considers this matter as a factor for evaluation.

PK Gaming

Just faced an Eirika + Speed Takumi duo (+ an Olivia, thankfully she just ventured off on her own)... and that was freaking scary. Eirika and Takumi kept traveling together, and Takumi could OHKO any character on my team by doubling (Sharena, Olivia, my +ATK -RES Takumi and my deadweight Narcian).... eventually I killed off Eirika, lost Sharena, and then beat Takumi by dancing with my Takumi but jeez...

Eirika's support is amazing, amazing, amazing. Units with good Speed and Attack become absolute monsters with her support.

They're only going to get lower. A and A+ is way too high for Leo and Camilla imo.

kswiston

We weren't aware how decisive stat totals are for the arena score. Units like Cordelia, Takumi and Robin are great in a vacuum but suffer in that regard. That said, I doubt that particular tier list considers this matter as a factor for evaluation.

I sort of think that the Arena scoring system needs an overhaul. I don't know if things have changed in the past week, but I remember a lot of comments in this thread about battles getting easier once you had a team that precluded most of the ranged characters in Advance Arena unless they were a whale team with high +totals.

It seems weird to go through the effort of making armor killer units, only to have their stat totals be too low to be worth using against easy targets for the skill at lv40.

Akuun

What does high level arena look like, anyway? All melees with lots of Hectors and Effies thrown in there?

I'm okay with my arena team but I'm aware that it's not the highest in stats, and I still see plenty of Robins/Takumis everywhere.

Roman

I sort of think that the Arena scoring system needs an overhaul. I don't know if things have changed in the past week, but I remember a lot of comments in this thread about battles getting easier once you had a team that precluded most of the ranged characters in Advance Arena unless they were a whale team with high +totals.

It seems weird to go through the effort of making armor killer units, only to have their stat totals be too low to be worth using against easy targets for the skill at lv40.
I talk about this a lot in our discord, personally I think current arena is a farce mostly for this reason. My best units have low stat totals, and I simply didn't have the luck to roll what I need to compete at this point. Defense teams not caring about bonus heroes and top ranks being hacked scores in the 6 digit range add to my frustration with the whole situation.

What does high level arena look like, anyway? All melees with lots of Hectors and Effies thrown in there?

I'm okay with my arena team but I'm aware that it's not the highest in stats, and I still see plenty of Robins/Takumis everywhere.

If you don't run into Hectors and Effies you run into +x Takumis and mages. In which case good night sweet prince. But overall, arena gets easier in those ranges.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Eirika's support is amazing, amazing, amazing. Units with good Speed and Attack become absolute monsters with her support.

They're only going to get lower. A and A+ is way too high for Leo and Camilla imo.
Yeh no kidding. The Takumi had 49 ATK (mine had 53 with support) but 40 speed!!! Maybe I should have pulled more to try and get Eirika lol

Quixzlizx

Yeh no kidding. The Takumi had 49 ATK (mine had 53 with support) but 40 speed!!! Maybe I should have pulled more to try and get Eirika lol

My team is currently +atk Ephraim, +atk Nino, +spd Takumi, and Olivia. I'm drooling at the prospect of seeing what happens if I can ever sub Eirika in for Olivia. I made a shit-ton of red sphere only summons during the last banner, but struck out.

Wichu

I have a -atk +speed Jeorge. The speed is nice, but the attack... :(

Oh, and a -atk Ephriam. Lol.

I think my three best characters all have -Atk or -Speed. +Res/-Atk Marth, +Def/-Spe Robin, and +Def/-Atk (I think) Nowi.

Hopefully we'll get a way to reroll natures at some point without having to get a second copy of your 5*s :(

Mupod

I think my three best characters all have -Atk or -Speed. +Res/-Atk Marth, +Def/-Spe Robin, and +Def/-Atk (I think) Nowi.

Hopefully we'll get a way to reroll natures at some point without having to get a second copy of your 5*s :(

I don't see this ever happening but yeah my Lyn is -atk and it's the worst. I've been slowly getting my 4* Stahl to 40 because jesus christ I just need someone who can kill a green unit when I say so.

More like Hector/Effie/ +10 Lucina/Tiki/Takumi/Mages.

kswiston

I talk about this a lot in our discord, personally I think current arena is a farce mostly for this reason. My best units have low stat totals, and I simply didn't have the luck to roll what I need to compete at this point. Defense teams not caring about bonus heroes and top ranks being hacked scores in the 6 digit range add to my frustration with the whole situation.

Wait, they don't even check for and correct blatant cheating?

For starters, how hard would it be to just auto-ban anyone whose score is higher than 7x whatever four +10 Hectors works out to in points?

Mupod

One would assume bans will go out in waves. Due to the nature of the feather payouts and rankings, it would be nice if they compensated people who may have gotten pushed out of their tier by possible cheating. Even though I doubt there was much of an impact overall, it'd be a nice gesture.

If you have a merged character that you can't obtain more than one, a GHB unit, or an unreleased unit then I feel like you deserve a permanent ban on the spot. If Nintendo has the power to block phones then all the better.

Same with orb hacks.

If they only hack crystals/legal merges then I think an account reset where all progress for the past week is wiped is sufficient.

Roman

Wait, they don't even check for and correct blatant cheating?

For starters, how hard would it be to just auto-ban anyone whose score is higher than 7x whatever four +10 Hectors works out to in points?

I can only say I have seen images like this one floating around:

Keep in mind this doesn't inform in any way how quickly Nintendo takes care of it but I personally don't have much confidence in them judging by how they manage the rest of this app.

On an equally souring note, my 4* Nino just had to be +HP/-Spd. I hate natures.

kswiston

My Catria is -HP, +Atk. Super glass cannon mode. She is only 4-stars though, so not a huge deal. At the rate that I am getting feathers, she is WAAAAYYYY down the list of priorities.

F Corrin or one of the starter girls will probably be next of my 4-star units.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom