• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Heroes |OT|The Future of Fire Emblem

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzu

I prayed for Klein and got three Virions. Should've stopped pulling after the second one. lol

Legends banner when.

And here I was thinking the US couldn't become even more of a laughing stock these days.

Americans shouldn't be allowed to vote for anything anymore.
I think it's part meme, and part new western players that weren't fully aware of the mechanics that thought Donnel's large initial stat growths were amazing, and didn't clock enough time in the game to realize that he ends up a rather average unit. (Which is partially understandable as the main game is incredibly easy.)

I don't think his design or personality was the key factor in most of his support.

Cerium

I tend to be feast or famine in Arena.

Most teams I run right over but then I run into the matchup from hell with Linde, Takumi, Hector, and fucking Azura who I hate.

Game needs more dancers. Bring us Ninian with the dragonstone.

kewlmyc

And here I was thinking the US couldn't become even more of a laughing stock these days.

He's a lot of people's first experience with the Villager class and the payoff of leveling it.

Golnei

-Tokyo Mirage Sessions characters are not being considered for inclusion at this time.

tumblr_olerzgWOb31vnq1cro2_1280.gif

Also, I'm surprised Dorcas wasn't mentioned along with Donnel, without the context of the US FE7 commercial, it'd be even more baffling.

Cerium

Translated interview with the developers about the game:

https://kantopia.wordpress.com/2017...-interview-nintendo-dream-vol-276-translated/

Main points...

-Content is already planned out through the end of the year. (The first batch of main story chapters is "Season One".)
-Paralogues every other week or so.
-More original characters are coming.
-Tokyo Mirage Sessions characters are not being considered for inclusion at this time.
-They want to include character from across the entire series initially, instead of focusing on certain games.
-Poll Results: Lyn is popular across the board, Ike is more popular in the West, while Lucina is more popular in Japan.
-Poll Surprises: Lyn's overall popularity, Awakening Tiki over original Tiki, Marth's "low" placement, Donnel's rank, which they still don't understand.
-Outside events with things like Cipher are being considered, but it seems no definite plans at the moment.
How are these dudes surprised at Lyn's popularity? Talk about out of touch.

PUT HER IN SMASH SAKURAI.

ggx2ac

Klein is so awesome in arena. Even with his lack of speed he can still one shot characters like Takumi and Lucina thanks to Brave bow and Death Blow.

This is without taking Glacies into account which would give him a extra 19 or 20 damage for one hit.

It's too bad his rating is so low, it's causing me to end up with 100 points difference in arena. I'm probably more likely to end up using Eldigan for bonus heroes next season instead assuming the bonus heroes change.

OVDRobo

Translated interview with the developers about the game:
-Content is already planned out through the end of the year. (The first batch of main story chapters is "Season One".)
-Paralogues every other week or so.
-More original characters are coming.
-They want to include character from across the entire series initially, instead of focusing on certain games.
-Poll Results: Lyn is popular across the board, Ike is more popular in the West, while Lucina is more popular in Japan.
-Poll Surprises: Lyn's overall popularity, Awakening Tiki over original Tiki, Marth's "low" placement, Donnel's rank, which they still don't understand.
-Outside events with things like Cipher are being considered, but it seems no definite plans at the moment.

I know that Japanese businessmen are infamous for being out-of-touch with what consumers want, bit this is pushing things a bit.

Marth is an incredibly boring character that was introduced to half the world as one of two characters in Smash Bros. to speak exclusively Japanese. Only one of his games made it West and it was a remake with ugly artwork that stuck very close to the original NES game in terms of design, making it feel outdated and simplistic.

In comparison, in a long line of games about blue-haired swordsman lords whose kingdoms fall or find themselves embroiled in war, we have a green-haired, nomadic, pseudo-samurai girl who gets herself caught up in a war. She was also the first-introduced protagonist of the first Fire Emblem to make it to the west in any form.

It takes the most simplistic reasoning skills out there to deduce why certain characters might be popular and it seems to have completely flown over their heads.

Aside from all this, there's absolutely no mention of any changes coming to the game and the only real thing I can take away from this is that they're going to be continuing on the course they're on of giving us about 30 minutes of content every two weeks, and that they plan to pollute the pool of characters people like with a load of original characters that no one cares about because this game isn't substantial enough to create a character with any depth.

I'm personally going to give this game until the end of March to give me a consistent reason to actually spend stamina since I have a good team of level 40 characters already. If it doesn't then I'm just writing it off as a huge load of missed potential.

Draxal

Damn y u gotta hate Etika like that.

I know that Japanese businessmen are infamous for being out-of-touch with what consumers want, bit this is pushing things a bit.

Marth is an incredibly boring character that was introduced to half the world as one of two characters in Smash Bros. to speak exclusively Japanese. Only one of his games made it West and it was a remake with ugly artwork that stuck very close to the original NES game in terms of design, making it feel outdated and simplistic.

In comparison, in a long line of games about blue-haired swordsman lords whose kingdoms fall or find themselves embroiled in war, we have a green-haired, nomadic, pseudo-samurai girl who gets herself caught up in a war. She was also the first-introduced protagonist of the first Fire Emblem to make it to the west in any form.

FE3 is probably the most popular game in Japan still. Huge Part of Awakening's popularity in Japan is that its such a callback to that game and Gaiden (and Genealogy with the marriage/kid system).

Only reason Lyn is popular is that she's the first character to be playable in the west and legs, she's really derivative of Ayra, just like there's chars very derivative of Camus in Eldigan and Xander.

Ninferno

Hate me but I do share the same surprise with those guys regarding Lyn's popularity (I actually feel really reluctant to equate the poll result with "popularity"). The other surprises listed didn't surprise me but this one does. I really can't see how Lyn is special; I don't dislike her, far from it, but I don't regard her as highly. I can see her being more popular than Eliwood, who is bland and generic, but Lyn didn't do anything too remarkable either, especially in FE7 part 2 (the actual part of the game). By then She's just a pretty girl who sometimes shows up along with Eliwood/Hector in the dialogue. There's not much story about her anymore in part 2, and part 1 is barely a story but rather an introduction/tutorial. Lyn getting more votes than Hector, and by such a margin, is actually a huge surprise to me. I have to agree with those guys interviewed on this one; I'm sorry.

I do see how impactful FE7 is, being the first FE to come to the west though; there's no question about that.

- Y'know what surprises me? They're not surprised Nowi's #10. Clearly due for a Nendoroid. Nay, scale figure. OH MY GOSH, CAN YOU IMAGINE IF LYN GETS NOTHING AND SHE DOES!? :O :O :O

- Okay, it's probably more likely it's just hard to talk about Nowi.

- The lack of Smash factor for Marth surprises me too. This is in context of Roy being #2 despite being one of the most hated lords in the series and Ike being #1 despite being in a game that, iirc, is one of the least-selling in the series.

- Lyn being #1 despite having no Smash factor (the assist trophy doesn't count) is what I'd guess they're surprised by. Remember that just below her is Lucina who is in Smash and came in a much more recent game.

- Suppose the Donnel confusion may have to do with how unpopular he is to the Husbando Emblem crowd. I don't recall him ranking that highly in the Awakening poll?

jnWake

I think people didn't vote Marth because, as the main face of the franchise, everyone knows he doesn't need votes to get special treatment.

Figures that when I'm just randomly popping into the game and tossing out orbs without a care that I get good stuff. Last 9 orb pull got me a 5* Sanaki, now in a one-shot I get a 5* Catria. I'm fine with that.

Mupod

on the one hand I want effie/nino. On the other hand I'm tired of being stuck with shit arena scores because I never get any banner units and want to pull on one that has bonus characters.

Also I go in with a 4* and a 3* yet every team I fight is four top tier 5* units. For example the last one was two Takumis, a Robin, and a Lyn. I still can win regularly in advanced but it's an uphill battle.

Draxal

- Y'know what surprises me? They're not surprised Nowi's #10. Clearly due for a Nendoroid. Nay, scale figure. OH MY GOSH, CAN YOU IMAGINE IF LYN GETS NOTHING AND SHE DOES!? :O :O :O

- Okay, it's probably more likely it's just hard to talk about Nowi.

- The lack of Smash factor for Marth surprises me too. This is in context of Roy being #2 despite being one of the most hated lords in the series and Ike being #1 despite being in a game that, iirc, is one of the least-selling in the series.

- Lyn being #1 despite having no Smash factor (the assist trophy doesn't count) is what I'd guess they're surprised by. Remember that just below her is Lucina who is in Smash and came in a much more recent game.

- Suppose the Donnel confusion may have to do with how unpopular he is to the Husbando Emblem crowd. I don't recall him ranking that highly in the Awakening poll?

1. Nowi got troll votes.
2. Marth was always seen as lame in smash, the other sword guys are cooler.
3. Smash does help her, Hector placing third without Smash at all is pretty impressive. As for Lucina, alot of votes that would have gone to her went to Tharja and Cordelia (or Camilla or Corrin). Lyn really only had Eirika to siphon votes for her. The PoR/RD vote was really split as well.
4. Etika

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Not too surprised at Lyn's popularity. She's the fast evasion swordmaster type character, and a lot of people like that archetype. Add her good looks and you probably have a fairly easily popular character.

Very surprised at Donnel though. Maybe there's some kind of pot head joke I missed, or the vote got brigaded somehow.

Um... you only need one bonus character. Having two doesn't get you any more points than having one FYI.
Really? Thanks, that helps a lot. 4* Catria just doesn't hold a candle to the crap you see in arena, and I took a couple of losses yesterday because Lucina + Jakob just can't carry that team.

on the one hand I want effie/nino. On the other hand I'm tired of being stuck with shit arena scores because I never get any banner units and want to pull on one that has bonus characters.
I know how you feel. I have enough orbs for a full pull now and I really need a good ranged character, but I really don't like the current incest banner and don't want to end up with characters I actively dislike. So I'm gonna try to wait.

unknown.png

3DS votes were just way more evenly spread out compared to other games, i.e. Lucina+Robin (both genders)+Chrom combined make up a smaller portion of Awakening's total (30.81%, and that's including "Masked Marth" in Lucina's total) than Lyn alone for FE7 (30.91%) or PoR Ike (38.35%! 27% if you look at PoR+RD Ike vs the combined total); Fates is even more spread out than Awakening as Corrin (both genders)+Camilla+Azura are only 23.09% of the vote.

(note: FE7 doesn't add up due to Limstella's 690 votes)

also: lol at the gender ratio from Path of Radiance (69.35% male) to Radiant Dawn (53.55% male), a 15.8% swing

Which is not so important against AI because you can kill her with other team members and since she doesn't one shot things she usually ends in position where she is vulnerable to counter attack.
Oh for defence, sure, but when you're attacking Julia effectively nullifies almost all magic attackers due to almost nobody being able to one-shot her. If you put Linde or Tharja on defence, Julia will 'solve' them for most attacking parties, after all half the time just being able to tank a shot from the most troublesome unit in a defence party is usually enough to secure the win, and she has enough power to one-shot a lot of non-magic units so you can basically throw her in to nuke a physical unit out of existence then take a magic nuke back in the face without losing you a unit or needing to use dance/resposition to escape out again :3

Pejo

Ok guys, I need some opinions on my next upgrade, just hit 20k feathers.

- Effie (I have no heavy armor units 5* yet)
- Nino (no green magic damage 5* of any sort)
- Fae (still no green magic 5* of any sort)
- MRobin (advantage vs. colorless, 4* variant seems worthless with low dmg)
- Tharja (a true red mage. My only red magic damage 5* is Young Tiki)

Thoughts? I'm probably going either go Effie or Nino right now, despite us getting them on a banner next week. I want to save my orbs for the time being.

Okamid3n

I'm going to wait for the Effie banner because of the ever-so-slightly higher chance of getting an armored unit to finally clear normal quests...

gaiages

Banned
I'm finding that I really don't have a good foil for Dragons. I don't have any Falchion users or Julia, and Tiki can't really fight back against Nowi. Hector of course gets eaten alive, and Takumi can do some damage, but it's not enough for a KO and usually I have to make him neutralize any anti-Dragon units anyway, so he has no time for pot shots.

If only I had the feathers to get Marth to 5 stars :p

Akuun

Thoughts? I'm probably going either go Effie or Nino right now, despite us getting them on a banner next week. I want to save my orbs for the time being.
What's the rest of your team?

kewlmyc

MRobin's atk is still not that great to be honest.

I'm in the same boat you are. I would upgrade a Green Magic user personally. You seem to have an abundance of Red and Blue units.

1. Nowi got troll votes.
2. Marth was always seen as lame in smash, the other sword guys are cooler.
3. Smash does help her, Hector placing third without Smash at all is pretty impressive. As for Lucina, alot of votes that would have gone to her went to Tharja and Cordelia (or Camilla or Corrin). Lyn really only had Eirika to siphon votes for her. The PoR/RD vote was really split as well.
4. Etika

I mean, even if he's not as cool as the others, I figured he'd do better because he's Marth and not Roy, buuut that's probably my hatred of Roy speaking. >.>

unknown.png

3DS votes were just way more evenly spread out compared to other games, i.e. Lucina+Robin (both genders)+Chrom combined make up a smaller portion of Awakening's total (30.81%, and that's including "Masked Marth" in Lucina's total) than Lyn alone for FE7 (30.91%) or PoR Ike (38.35%! 27% if you look at PoR+RD Ike vs the combined total)

(note: FE7 doesn't add up due to Limstella's 690 votes)

also: lol at the gender ratio from Path of Radiance (69.35% male) to Radiant Dawn (53.55% male), a 15.8% swing

Figured there was lots of competition for FE13/14 characters (after Draxal reminded me there's characters past the top two), but that's interesting nonetheless along with the rest of the stats.

Suppose you can justify the male% swing from PoR to RD as PoR lacking a female main character. FE2 has 50%-ish, as does 7, 8, and 10.

I assume Genealogy took away some of Thracia's votes for the recurring characters, at least.

With 2489 total votes, Leif wouldn't have made it to Top 100 as either a Genealogy nor Thracia character anyway. :p

Finn (1003) is a different story as he had to compete with Genealogy Finn (1550) and...Genealogy Finn (1053), buuuut he'd still be considered a Genealogy character first.

Pejo

MRobin's atk is still not that great to be honest.

I'm in the same boat you are. I would upgrade a Green Magic user personally. You seem to have an abundance of Red and Blue units.

Yea that's probably a good idea. I'm trying to get my Nino to 40 so I can see what her IV is, since I didn't check at level 1. If it's a decent one, I'll probably do her. If not, I'll do Fae who is a pretty nice green tanky unit. I just don't like greens that much at all currently, since red swords are the most common type, and any dragon killer completely makes Fae a wasted unit if they get near her.

Akuun

Started typing it and then decided to just take a pic.

At this point I'm just trying to fill in holes in my roster, (damage types, unit types, etc).
Damn, that's a deep roster.

Maybe Nino? It looks like you're already doing great with melee, and you have other ranged options in Takumi and Jeorge as well. Effie is very strong, but she needs help getting around, and she's not really a must-pick in arena anyway.

Nino would probably benefit greatly from Eirika's buffs as well.

Quixzlizx

Yea that's probably a good idea. I'm trying to get my Nino to 40 so I can see what her IV is, since I didn't check at level 1. If it's a decent one, I'll probably do her. If not, I'll do Fae who is a pretty nice green tanky unit. I just don't like greens that much at all currently, since red swords are the most common type, and any dragon killer completely makes Fae a wasted unit if they get near her.

You should replace Serra with Eirika, especially if you end up using Nino.

onionfrog

I have started another account using the Nox Android emulator. I'm now running automated reroll scripts occasionally so I can get awful gatcha rolls without spending orbs on my main account.

I haven't gotten any rolls worth keeping. :p

What am I doing with my life!

Side note: is eldigan shit or am I just using him wrong? His speed is absymal.

Pejo

Damn, that's a deep roster.

Maybe Nino? It looks like you're already doing great with melee, and you have other ranged options in Takumi and Jeorge as well. Effie is very strong, but she needs help getting around, and she's not really a must-pick in arena anyway.

Nino would probably benefit greatly from Eirika's buffs as well.

Cool, I hadn't thought of the Eirika buff thing, good thinking. Thanks! I always forget that Nino's weapon adds up bonuses on her. 90% of the time when I use her, it's for draw back and killing blue cavalry through walls.

You should replace Serra with Eirika, especially if you end up using Nino.

Oh yea, this team isn't a team I use for anything, was just leveling some units up. I'd say only about half of my 5*s are level 40 at this point. Leveling is so slow without the bonus xp once you hit mid 30s.

Quixzlizx

I have started another account using the Nox Android emulator. I'm now running automated reroll scripts occasionally so I can get awful gatcha rolls without spending orbs on my main account.

From my experience using Ephraim, you don't use high atk/high def/low spd characters to stand there and tank the whole match, unless it is against the color they are strong against. They are there to walk up and one-hit weak color enemies, and maybe tank one turn when necessary when they can survive it.

Very high defense and attack and goods res with a 4 action AOE. Granted I am spoiled a bit as I have him paired with Reinhardt who gives +4atk and spd to cavalry within two spaces. Combined with Fury that nets a 7 point speed and atk bonus. Putting him at 34 speed.

gaiages

Banned
With 2489 total votes, Leif wouldn't have made it to Top 100 as either a Genealogy nor Thracia character anyway. :p

Finn (1003) is a different story as he had to compete with Genealogy Finn (1550) and...Genealogy Finn (1053), buuuut he'd still be considered a Genealogy character first.

Finn got robbed ;p

Where are the vote totals posted, if I may ask? It's probably in a super obvious place, but I'm oblivious as to where everyone is pulling the numbers from, lol

Okamid3n

Cool, I hadn't thought of the Eirika buff thing, good thinking. Thanks! I always forget that Nino's weapon adds up bonuses on her. 90% of the time when I use her, it's for draw back and killing blue cavalry through walls.

Considering how deep your pool of units goes, I would only use my feathers on Nino (or anyone else for that matter) if they have a good nature. Check that first before making the plunge!

Nino is pretty great. If yours is +spd or +atk, it could be worth it. Otherwise, I'd pick someone else or wait.

Pejo

Considering how deep your pool of units goes, I would only use my feathers on Nino (or anyone else for that matter) if they have a good nature. Check that first before making the plunge!

Nino is pretty great. If yours is +spd or +atk, it could be worth it. Otherwise, I'd pick someone else or wait.

Yea, I really regret not checking her before leveling. Now I have to finish the grind to 40 to see what her nature is. I suppose you're right though, there's no hurry to spend the feathers.

Yea, I really regret not checking her before leveling. Now I have to finish the grind to 40 to see what her nature is. I suppose you're right though, there's no hurry to spend the feathers.

If I am not mistaken if you go to promote a character it will show you what their 5* nature will be so long as you are over level 20.

Mupod

A 3*/4* unit only needs to be 20 or above to check their stats. Just go to the 'unlock potential' screen you can see a preview of their level 1 stats at the next rarity.

My own 3* Nino is +atk/-res so I planned to get her to 5* immediately. But instead of finding an Eirika last banner I found Merric who is an ok green caster that covers one of my weaknesses (pegasi with high res). So that put a kink in things. I'll just sit on my feathers until I see what I either get from the Effie/Nino banner or the one following.

Zafir

If I am not mistaken if you go to promote a character it will show you what their 5* nature will be so long as you are over level 20.

Yep. You just need to take into account weapon values though. Some sites include the 5* only weapon in atk values which you obviously won't have, and some don't.

Okamid3n

Yea, you don't need to level to 40. Go to the character promotion page and it shows their level one stat. Adjust the stats for the weapon and then you can check their nature!

Quixzlizx

So I've been leveling up FRobin because I'm probably not going to have any other bonus units next week, and boy is she a hot mess. It doesn't help that she's a 3*, but I have a feeling I'm going to have to actively hide her against everything other than cavalry and blue tome users.

I'm going to have to follow the WWND philosophy and do my best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom