• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Heroes |OT|The Future of Fire Emblem

Status
Not open for further replies.

OceanBlue

I can already see the questions incoming these days: What do you think, should I sacrifirce Cherche to give Nino Attack +3? Or Lilina with Attack +2? Or what? Damn, this is giving us endless possibilities ..

I wish lol. Lilina already has Attack +3, and with skill inheritance you have no reason of playing her over Sanaki unfortunately :(.

scy

I will say this whole limitless inheritance thing definitely makes the game a bit more awkward now. BST trumps all being changed for arena while simultaneously making everyone stat sticks with various unique weapons standing out is a kind of silly set of paired changes. Hard pressed to say it's a good system when done this way so far but we'll see what we end up with after a few days.

spiritfox

Man this update might just kill the game for me. Units are now reduced to stat sticks to dump the most OP skills on, and units that sacrifice stats for better weapons are now useless except to pass the weapons on. I was hoping for a more limited system but this is ridiculous.

OVDRobo

Skill inheritance is ridiculous for sure. Since most units can learn most skills, I'm assuming that the meta's going to change one very defined by putting the best skills on the highest stat units while before you had to work around individual strengths, weaknesses and trade-offs.

As an example, I've thrown Kagero's poison dagger on my Saizo. Now I have a tanky ninja that can melt any unit on foot.

On the flip-side, this at least makes certain trash-tier units slightly more viable since you have a bit of mobility outside of statistics.

OceanBlue

I'm pretty sure you get screwed over by the weapon breaker skill.

For example, I couldn't get Quick Riposte to work against Wary Fighter.

I guess I could always run Eldigan with Swordbreaker, Ephraim with Lancebreaker, Hector with Axebreaker, and Effie.

Not that I have most of these characters lol.

ggx2ac

Hahaha I went too far adding bonus stats. Went to arena, 664 points if I win the match however, the opponent had a level 50 Takumi and Camilla. Plus Lucina and Effie at some high levels.

I couldn't one shot Takumi. I did survive will all units intact but that was too much of a challenge.

I'll just switch out Eldigan for Klein to reduce the team rating average. I already got a decent amount of points for arena anyway.

Edit: Decided not to switch Eldigan. Went to take the risk, almost had a perfect 7-win streak.

I screwed up losing a character to someone that had two Eirikas and Nino and Tharja because I forgot Tharja had darting blow. The range of levels went from 45 to 50. He was definitely tough. lol

ggx2ac

How good are specials like Iceberg and Bonfire?

It's based on preference.

If your character has high defense or resistance but shit attack, it is good because it adds a constant amount of extra damage regardless of the opponent's weapon type.

Luna would be the other alternative to pick for a character with low attack but, that reduces the enemies Defense/Resistance instead so it becomes dependant on doing good damage against enemies with high Def/Res.

scy

Starting to regret some of the super early 1*/2* freebies I sent home. But I also never realized how many passives were locked behind 5*, geez. Or that some of the +Stat options come earlier than others (e.g., Cherche gets ATK +3 at 4* vs 5* for the others). Looking over the +6 when attacking passives, Catria (DEF), Florina / Tharja (SPD), Klein / Alfonse (ATK), and Niles (RES) get their rank 3 at 4* instead of 5*.

Going to wait out some of the building I guess.

ggx2ac

Decided to remove HP+5 from Eirika and gave her Darting Blow instead. After facing fast enemies with higher levels than me in Arena, for Eirika I'd need her to attack at least twice to make up for her lack of damage.

The crap thing is that I need 450 SP to max it out, going to need to farm Training Tower and find out what the lowest level enemies she can fight to gain SP.

Raysoul

img_5645wwsbw.png

Speed kills

As an example, I've thrown Kagero's poison dagger on my Saizo. Now I have a tanky ninja that can melt any unit on foot.
This is literally the only thing I want to do right now, despite not having either unit. (Not for the lack of trying.)

Otherwise I'm not going to do any skill inherentence until things settle down a bit. I don't care about being the best at arena. As long as I can get at least over 4,000, I'm good right now.

redcrayon

I'm not going to do any skill inherentence until things settle down a bit. I don't care about being the best at arena. As long as I can get at least over 4,000, I'm good right now.

Yeah, I'm the same. As a FTP player I only have a handful of 5* units and 4* units with top-tier skills worth inheriting, and I'm not sure I want to delete the unit to make one of my others incrementally better right now. I'll wait until I have duplicates and things settle down a bit, the PVP stuff doesn't interest me outside of gaining feathers as there's no way I'm wasting time and money trying to compete with whales.

I mean, I appreciate it's the endgame for a lot of players and so anything that shakes up the meta is potentially very good/bad, but it just seems slightly over the top to immediately panic about the lack of balance and individuality this might bring compared to the benefit of near-infinite options for tweaking your army. Most players aren't pulling enough units to be able to min/max everything. I imagine they, like me, will just work with what they've got to improve the units they like with what's available rather than spend thousands chasing 'perfection'. As for the whales, it was already unbalanced the minute that, of you were doing well with a good team, you ended up fighting 4xTakumi and other setups that must have cost hundreds of pounds.

Unit individuality remains in that each unit has some skills they can't equip, it just encourages people to check the enemy team rather than assume every unit with the same name is the same. I'm ok with that after fighting similar 'top tier' teams with the same handful of strong units with strong skills again and again. Now everyone has the potential to tailor whatever they have to at least have a fighting chance against whatever is the current fashion.

I liked this post on Reddit since everyone seems to be having a breakdown on there.

I entirely disagree. I don't know where the game will end up but I do know this:
The combinations of units and skills are so plentiful that very few people will have the requisite units to create "optimal" teams. The same way not everyone has Hector/Takumi/Linde/Lucina.
So what do people do? They work with what they have! Except now instead of paying money you can craft what you need. Don't have an Azura or Eirika for your Nino? No problem, sacrifice a Maria or Matthew and give Hone res/speed to another unit to create your Nino death squad! No rolling for perfect units required. You'll see more blade weapon strategies but they will be very diverse as people work with what they have.

Don't have a Takumi counter? No big deal, slap bowbreaker from Setsuna or give your advantage v colorless unit weapon to a mage you prefer!
Will this ultimately end up with people deciding that stats make certain units better than others? Absolutely. But that's no different than people already deciding that based on tier lists and the like.
What this will do to add to diversity, is let you actually work with what you have. Even if you never pull another 5 star, you can potentially craft units so versatile they can deal with any incoming meta. This is a good thing.

Right now it's complicated, but nobody is stopping you from using your favorite units and this actually INCREASES their viability, even with the crazy combos running around. Earlier today, I pulled my favorite character, Jaffar. Only I realized he's second rate to Kagero at best. Before, I would have nothing I could do with him.

You know what I can do now? Slap Kagero's poison dagger on him, alongside vengeance and close counter from Takumi. Why? Because I can. Because now I can make my favorite unit viable. Will he be better than Kagero with those skills? Nope. But you bet your ass I'm going to use him.

Many people will make decisions like this. Make no mistake. This has been thought out. Someone decided that giving people the flexibility to optimize their favorite units superseded the idea that people will min max. People will always min max. But now I can min max who I WANT to, instead of who the tier list tells me to. I think this was a good decision. And I don't think you should be any more frustrated that you don't have an optimal set up now than you were before. Instead, take your favorite units, and think about how much better you can make them!
But that's just my view on it. I get why people feel like units aren't unique. But at least now when units are outclassed they can be brought up to snuff.

Cerium

People wanted more things to do and now we have them. This vastly increases the power ceiling and gives infinite options for customization and strategy. It's bound to have fascinating effects on the meta. Whales will be pleased.

Unfortunately I ain't got time for that!

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I used to hate on my Olwen and Leo but these are the types of characters that are going to benefit so, so much under this system. I'm going to wait a few days to see how things settle before sacrificing people.

redcrayon

I liked this post on Reddit since everyone seems to be having a breakdown on there.
Yeah, that's pretty much my view, I'd already earmarked Setsuna's bowbreaker for an anti-Takumi strategy later on. The endless options for people to turn the pile of weaker or favourite units they have into something that, if not optimal, is stronger than before, is a game changing addition that keeps my interest and overrides fear about whales getting even stronger to me.

OVDRobo

I really do kind of like this system.

In most gatcha games you're basically at the mercy of RNG to throw an overpowered unit of the month at you, but this change has essentially allowed almost any character to be made at least viable, even if not optimal. All the trash units you get are now living skills to be inherited by better units rather than a barely-useful amount of feathers.

There's also the fact that SP is hard to come by, so units drawn with a lower star value or units that are more common can accumulate SP quicker and more plentifully through merging or repeated levelling (or whales can invest incredible amounts of money to get enough dupes of the best character to fill them with skills, which might be what they're after)

The game's completely broken, but maybe what shakes out of it will be more interesting than the current meta that's limited to only a few characters like Takumi, Lucina, Hector etc.

I mean, it could end up awful, but at least it's interesting.

Skill inherit is going to make some rather unique combinations...

You can literally make some units become super hard counters to other units. Like a Takumi with tomebreaker or something like that to throw people off.

ggx2ac

I feel like I'm having Déjà vu, basically my Female Corrin has Draconic Aura which can boost her attack stat by +30% for one attack however, I could replace it with Bonfire because she has good defense.

So either:

Draconic Aura to get 12 to 14 extra attack stat which would either go further up or down depending on weapon type of the enemy

Or

Bonfire to add 17 add damage (20 if I get Ninian and her Fortify Dragon buff)

Hmm... I calculated it and Bonfire actually has the advantage so I'm going with that.

Of course I can cause reduced damage with either from getting debuffed so you know.

Skill inherit is going to make some rather unique combinations...

You can literally make some units become super hard counters to other units. Like a Takumi with tomebreaker or something like that to throw people off.

Takumi is still shit against mages because he's not a mage killer. I can one shot him with Nino so tome breaker is not a disadvantage for me against him.

Syntsui

This game is completely broken now tbh, not a fan of this change. It's all about having the best character and sacrificing the fodder for it, whereas before a lot of the fodder had a niche use.

The best part of the system is that almost any unit can become viable against reasonable opposition, (key word being reasonable) which is actually quite appealing because you can use more of your favorites without feeling they're weighing you down. And once the new matchmaking rules are rolled out, mega whales will only be fighting other mega whales anyway. Everyone else who isn't going hog wild will hopefully still be matched together.

The worst part is that it rewards high spenders and the ultra lucky with near guaranteed placement at the top of the Arena. (Though that's not much different from now.) As long as Feathers are the only Arena reward, and they continue to make them more readily available through other means, as they've started to do, then I don't think it's going to be so bad.

I was always planning on sticking with my favorites over the trendy "meta" units anyway, so in the end it'll probably be more enjoyable for me personally. The trick is now just getting the units I want. D:

(If PvP was actual live online battles though, then this whole system would be over the cliff. )

ggx2ac

I need uhh... 1395 SP for my Female Corrin. I can slowly get there, just need to get enough feathers for merging 5* Female Corrins to get bonus SP quicker.

P.S. Now that the game is so skill focused, please change the daily challenge map characters so everyone can have access to some more skills as long as they play diligently.

(And please put Barst & Saizo in that roation.)

redcrayon

The best part of the system is that almost any unit can become viable against reasonable opposition, (key word being reasonable) which is actually quite appealing because you can use more of your favorites without feeling they're weighing you down. And once the new matchmaking rules are rolled out, mega whales will only be fighting other mega whales anyway. Everyone else who isn't going hog wild will hopefully still be matched together.

The worst part is that it rewards high spenders and the ultra lucky with near guaranteed placement at the top of the Arena. (Though that's not much different from now.) As long as Feathers are the only Arena reward, and they continue to make them more readily available through other means, as they've started to do, then I don't think it's going to be so bad.

I was always planning on sticking with my favorites over the trendy "meta" units anyway, so in the end it'll probably be more enjoyable for me personally. The trick is now just getting the units I want. D:

(If PvP was actual live online battles though, then this whole system would be over the cliff. )
It also encourages people to use and level up units outside of their main teams, if only to unlock skills to pass on. I think anything that encourages people to explore their entire roster is good, as sometimes skills that look poor when theorying stuff out are revealed as better in use across a variety of situations.

These new quests fit me perfectly.

My 4* alphonse was lvl 1 so I needed the tower grind
My 5* sharen was lvl 11 so I needed the tower grind
My 4* anna kinda blows past hers at lvl 27 but thats fine.

Can't really keep up with this game. It's still kind of enjoyable, but I'm much less dedicated to it. I'm glad I have a lot of feathers, though. I'm at 40K, so I can promote two units to 5*.

I grinded 17 Orbs from the Tower Quests, and pulled on the banner. I summoned Karel with +RES/-DEF. Not really happy with the new defenses, but a nerf to ATK or SPD would be much worse. So, I can't complain too much. He seems pretty strong.

The last 5* that I summoned was Sanaki from the previous banner. I went through a 60 orb dry spell before I got Karel.

5* units (by chronological order)
Jakob: +RES/-DEF
Marth: Neutral
Linde: +HP/-DEF
Camilla: +RES/-HP
Julia: Neutral
Sanaki: Neutral
Karel: +RES/-DEF

These guys are all very useable. No one has any real offensive boon, but they're not really crippled either.

I have a lot of lower level units that I still need to analyze before promoting. Sharena seems like a really good candidate, simply because I don't have great natures on my other blue options.

Zafir

Yeaaah, this looks like an absolute mess.

I thought they'd limit it in a way that makes more units viable.

It seems like everyone's just going to shove the best skills on the highest stat units though... Really inhibits creativity. :/

redcrayon

Yeaaah, this looks like an absolute mess.

I thought they'd limit it in a way that makes more units viable.

It seems like everyone's just going to shove the best skills on the highest stat units though... Really inhibits creativity. :/
You're assuming that everyone has access to the best skills and the best units though- they don't.

Zafir

You're assuming that everyone has access to the best skills and the best units though- they don't.

I mean, whales will that's the point. :p

Arena won't be fun for the immediate future until they fix Arena matchmaking. (Unless that did come in todays patch?)

It doesn't matter about whether people have them now though, eventually people will. I like the idea that all units can have a niche. I hate the idea that any unit can do anything. Then there's no uniqueness to anything. Blergh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom