• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem if |Import OT| ~Should I Marry My Siblings Or Should I Kill Them?~

Sakura

1) About 10~, with maybe 13~ or so near the end.
2) I'm not sure what this means. When a unit reaches level 10 you can give them an item to promote them. Then they level cap at about 20. After which you can give them another item (which is quite expensive) that raises their level cap by another 5. Not all units seem to have a level 20 cap, my maid kept levelling past that. Not entirely sure how it works as I didn't bother reading into it.
3) I want to say yes, but I don't really remember FEA's plot.

Draxal

There are no Second Seals in Fire Emblem Fates.

They're called parallel seals (I"m not sure what they were called in the Japanese version of Awakening/Kakusei) and they work differently in this game, they don't reset the levels but leave you at the next level. You can get base class skills by leveling up in a paralleled class.

To those who have played both Awakening and the Hoshido route, how does the Normal difficulty stack up? I know Nohr is the harder route but I'm curious about whether Normal in Hoshido is at least more challenging than in Awakening.

Sakura

Here are some of my thoughts on the plot: (Anya/Nohr route. Spoilers obviously)
The game is billed as you choosing between the family you were raised with, vs the family you are related to by blood, but that's not really the choice the game has you make.
It's more, King Garon is evil. Join Byakuya side and fight against him, or go with your Anya family and try to find out what his deal is.
I haven't played Byakuya yet, so I can only speak for Anya.
But the problem here, is that, well, it doesn't really make any sense. Your father is clearly bad, and does not give a shit about you, (even ordering you to be executed before being persuaded not to) yet your siblings (and you?) still consider him to be their father and a good dude? He is never shown to be fatherly at all in the game, he is like, evil embodied.
So basically, you spend the whole game just doing what he says because if you don't then you will be executed. Fine, whatever.
Eventually you learn that your father isn't actually your father any more and has been turned into some monster since who knows when. However, you have to prove that he is a monster because if you don't, then your family would never agree to fight him with you and instead you would be a traitor. Because why would your fucking brothers and sisters, believe you of all people, right? Even though the dude is clearly evil as all hell... but whatever.
So your goal becomes to reveal his true form. The throne in Byakuya conveintly reveals the truth or whatever of those who sit on it. So you plan to conquer Byakuya like a good Anya soldier, and then when you do, get King Garon to sit on the chair, then you will show your family he is actually a monster and you will fight them.
Great plan. Except uh, what if he doesn't sit on the throne? What if he knows what will happen if he sits on it? Nah let's not worry about that.

At some point it's just like, why don't you just revolt? Your forces have basically already been winning the war single handedly. So why not just kill Ganz? Why don't you just kill Macbeth? When they start killing innocents don't just stand there and be like "Grrr can't be helped for now. But once I get you on that throne dad...!" put a stop to it there.

I also didn't understand the part where Lilith died. It kind of came out of nowhere. Had she even like, been in the story proper at all since the beginning? The whole scene is weird. "They're aim is you Kamui, so run away while we hold them off!" so you run away... but then you get attacked by one of the monsters? What happened to them holding the things off? So Lilith takes the attack for you, because of course weak little Kamui couldn't possibly defend himself against a single Nosferatu. And then after she takes the hit and dies, your bros that were just telling you to run ahead as they hold off the monsters show up to see if you are alright. What? Why are they here? Why didn't you all just run away together in the first place then? Maybe this wouldn't have happened.

I dunno. The story was alright I guess. I was hoping for a little more politics and war.

Some other thoughts:
-I wish the overworld map was better. It's like google earth. Generic landscape doesn't mean anything to me. Should be colour coded for nations and borders and stuff.
-I wish you could restart a battle from the menu. ie you somehow lose a good unit on the first turn, or make a mistake in setting up the units, there should be an option to restart from the beginning.
-What is A+, why is it limited to one person, and why doesn't it have a support convo?
-Children feel very shoehorned in. In fact they don't even really make much sense in the game. They don't exist in the story, and they don't seem to have support convos with any body other than their parents and other kids. Why wouldn't Kamui's child at least have support convos with their aunts/uncles? Feels really lazy.
-Marriage should be reflected in the game. The game is not voiced. There is no reason they can't change text around or add some scenes/lines of dialogue to reflect your relationship. Elise calls me by my name (or just anata) in My Castle, but calls me Oniichan in the story? Fix that shit. It also doesn't make sense in context with some other scenes.
-Kamui seems to care way too much about his blood related family, and they about him. It doesn't make any sense. He doesn't even know who Sakura is before they meet, and she him. Then they exchange a few lines of dialogue together, and all of a sudden it's like they are as close as the sister he was actually raised with.
-I don't like Aqua, why is she in the game.
-The inability to grind money can make Anya route pretty difficult. Experience not as big of a deal.
-Some of the maps are pretty cool.
-Much better/stronger protagonist than in Awakening IMO

Probably other things but I've forgotten.

StayDead

I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall Anya route on hard chapter 10
the port defense.
I thought I was pretty good with Fire Emblem, but this level is kicking my ass seriously.

Draxal

I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall Anya route on hard chapter 10
the port defense.
I thought I was pretty good with Fire Emblem, but this level is kicking my ass seriously.

That chapter was driving alot of people crazy.

StayDead

That chapter was driving alot of people crazy.

Well atleast it isn't just me. I keep getting so close and either losing someone right by the end or lose someone right at the beginning to stupidity. I keep thinking I've got the perfect tactic and suddenly it all goes wrong haha.

Vena

My friend has finished her playthrough of Anya. Her general impressions are positive but she thought the story was mostly meh.

Overall:
* Better than Awakening in map design, layout, variety, and difficulty.
* Hard is actually hard. The grinding is very limited and she hasn't found a way to break the difficulty curve outright by grinding encounters. Apparently money is hard?
* Some things are better balanced but she doesn't like unlimited use weapons, kinda losses a part of the charm for her in managing the army. Managing staves for long levels.
* Pro/cons of weapons is a nice addition in lieue of above.
* Some abilities are stupid.
* Male/female class removal is nice but, again, some loss of micromanaging charm for her.
* Story was okay. Better than Awakening but that doesn't say much.
* Fanservice was pointless for her. As she'd planned, she married Kamui to Camilla. Too much oniichan from her wife. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
* Parallel/Eternal/Marriage Seals >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Second Seals.
* Difficulty curve for Anya felts pretty good, it's mostly manageable but the game has about three maps where the game spikes and then the subsequent level lets off a lot.

She had a good time and she'll be starting Hoshido soon.

Hikami

Welp, time to start a new playthrough on Anya this time.

Hope I don't end up raging from the difficulty impressions I'm seeing.

Missiletainn from the Serenes Forest Forums has capped still images of every playable character's My Room/Amie portraits. You can get a really good look at the character designs this way.

You can find the album here.
*Major Spoilers*
Wait,
Charlotte's design actually has a weird thong-pant thing? That's even worse than I thought. And what the hell is Nyx wearing? Is she wearing anything? Same goes for Ophelia and Owain.

Kinda dig Hana, Oboro, Shinonome, Tsubaki and Kisaragi. Takumi is still GOAT.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
3i7eR6U.png

I wanna rub her eyeballs.

oh my, that dark mage outfit
Odin looks amazing. Lots of pec cleavage for the dudes too. Generally I think the designs for this game are quite excellent on a whole.

The only outfit I don't like at all is Charlotte's. Her "pants" are ridiculous. (Plus, Cammy did it first.)

antun

Haha, I killed
Ashura
cause I thought he was an ass. I got a boots (+1 movement) item as a reward I guess?

Do you get the boots even if you spare his life?

On the
boat map where your money is going down every turn.

Don´t remember which chapter it was.

And I am playing 暗夜王国.

Draxal

Wait,
Charlotte's design actually has a weird thong-pant thing? That's even worse than I thought. And what the hell is Nyx wearing? Is she wearing anything? Same goes for Ophelia and Owain.

Kinda dig Hana, Oboro, Shinonome, Tsubaki and Kisaragi. Takumi is still GOAT.

You can't see lower than the chest in Amie, so this is way worse than ingame.

Odin looks amazing. Lots of pec cleavage for the dudes too. Generally I think the designs for this game are quite excellent on a whole.

The only outfit I don't like at all is Charlotte's. Her "pants" are ridiculous. (Plus, Cammy did it first.)

I think the dark mage outfit is by far the worst, all three of them look so ridiculous, and this is coming from a huge fan of
Owain from Awakening.

Sakura

Missiletainn from the Serenes Forest Forums has capped still images of every playable character's My Room/Amie portraits. You can get a really good look at the character designs this way.

*Major Spoilers*

I really like most of the designs.

Haha, I killed
Ashura
cause I thought he was an ass. I got a boots (+1 movement) item as a reward I guess?

Do you get the boots even if you spare his life?

On the
boat map where your money is going down every turn.

Don´t remember which chapter it was.

And I am playing 暗夜王国.

No I don't think you get them.

Hugstable

Banned

*Major Spoilers*

lol @ Charlotte and Orphelia

There are alot of great designs in there though. Matoi is probably my overall favorite (though Cordelia was my favorite in Awakening and they kinda look similar outside the hair color, why is Coredlia name there?) Also really like Anna, Flannel, Flora, Kisaragi, Luna, Rinka is amazing, Oboro, Tsubaki, Takumi, etc. Looks of decent designs in there that I like myself

Vena

There are alot of great designs in there though. Matoi is probably my overall favorite (though Cordelia was my favorite in Awakening and they kinda look similar outside the hair color, why is Coredlia name there?) Also really like Anna, Flannel, Flora, Kisaragi, Luna, Rinka is amazing, Oboro, Tsubaki, Takumi, etc. Looks of decent designs in there that I like myself

Anna is classy. Always bet on Anna.

Hikami

Oboro's design was my favorite
..then I actually met her in the game (´・_・`)

Loving a lot of those designs for Nohr. I thought Hoshido's were better but damn, I just hadn't seen the other side's yet.

Shun

Bit disappointed to hear these middling reviews of the story. Setup had a lot of potential, too. Oh well.
It's stupid but it's enjoyable because it's hilarious and depressing in the most inappropriate way. I hated Awakening but this game makes up for it in a lot of ways even if it's not as good as previous games. I can see how people may not like it but it's pretty enjoyable if you take it for what it is rather than expect a military drama in the vein of Jugdral or Marth's stories.

Oboro's design was my favorite
..then I actually met her in the game (´・_・`)

You know what's up.
I hated her at first sight, I made it my goal to ruin her, Sakura, and Kazehana's lives.

Also avatar thumbs up, best chara on Byakuya. Minus
Mikoto (´;д;`)

Aquila

Because Matoi
is suppose to be Cordelia's reincarnation. Grey and Syalla are supposed reincarnates too.

Third route spoiler:
Severa can be Matoi's mother. I'm still laughing.

Draxal

Honestly, the problem with the Nohr story is that it just doesn't go where people were expecting it to go, so expectations were too high on that part.

Because Matoi
is suppose to be Cordelia's reincarnation. Grey and Syalla are supposed reincarnates too.

Third route spoiler:
Severa can be Matoi's mother. I'm still laughing.

And the best part is
Matoi can talk to Chrom in the DLC

They're called parallel seals (I"m not sure what they were called in the Japanese version of Awakening/Kakusei) and they work differently in this game, they don't reset the levels but leave you at the next level. You can get base class skills by leveling up in a paralleled class.

This new reclass system is one of the thing I've been most curious about; so when you reclass, is it a set 1/5/10/15 levels before you get the skill? I've also seen that you can buy skills from streetpass fights, which seemed like a way to circumvent the new reclass system.

Vena

This new reclass system is one of the thing I've been most curious about; so when you reclass, is it a set 1/5/10/15 levels before you get the skill? I've also seen that you can buy skills from streetpass fights, which seemed like a way to circumvent the new reclass system.

If my understanding is correct:
You reclass laterally, can't go down. Your level remains unchanged and you'll unlock any skills you would have otherwise had had you leveled naturally through the class you switch into.

This means you can't use Second Seals to reset over and over to grind stats to maximum values. But you have access to extremely rare Eternal Seals which raise your level by 5 and there doesn't seem to be an actual max level cap.

You reclass laterally, can't go down. Your level remains unchanged and you'll unlock any skills you would have otherwise had had you leveled naturally through the class you switch into.

This means you can't use Second Seals to reset over and over to grind stats to maximum values. But you have access to extremely rare Eternal Seals which raise your level by 5 and there doesn't seem to be an actual max level cap.

has anyone actually tried to go into triple digits lol

Sakura

And either way, if you are playing Anya you can't grind to begin with so there wouldn't be much point.

That actually sounds pretty alright; removes the gamebreaking nature of Second Seals while still giving you freedom of changing your class, except now you don't even have to grind for it and can change whenever you want.

In a way, I think this could actually encourages more people to try out reclassing; awakening's internal levels and level caps meant that you really had to optimise your growth paths from the get go.

I guess the bottleneck here would be the availability of the item, since you'll want to reclass everyone as fast as possible for claiming the skills before promotion. Speaking of which, what happens when to reclass from a promote to a base class? Level caps at 20?

I guess the bottleneck here would be the availability of the item, since you'll want to reclass everyone as fast as possible for claiming the skills before promotion. Speaking of which, what happens when to reclass from a promote to a base class? Level caps at 20?

I believe you have to stay within the same tier of class, so basic to basic or promoted to promoted, can't go promoted to basic and basic to promoted

Dunno how a dancer would be involved in this though

Bit disappointed to hear these middling reviews of the story. Setup had a lot of potential, too. Oh well.
The general consensus though still seems to be that it's an improvement on Awakening, plus the story isn't actually over yet. There's still a whole third campaign to see.

Lunar15

I guess a better thing to ask would be if it's as good of a story as past FE games. I'm not going to lie, it's not like FE games ever had mind blowingly great stories. They were always just compelling and maybe a tiny bit complex through politics. Awakening's problem was just a lack of focus because it had to cram in a bunch of past FE tropes.

GSR

So Hoshido Hard is harder than Awakening Hard but manageable with grinding, and Nohr Hard is closer to older games' hard modes? (Or RD normal?)

Sakura

The item is infinite, so availability is not a problem. Money however is a problem.
You can't class down. Though you might be able to if your marriage partner is a base class.

So Hoshido Hard is harder than Awakening Hard but manageable with grinding, and Nohr Hard is closer to older games' hard modes? (Or RD normal?)

I'm currently chapter 10 Hoshido hard and it is still easier than Nohr normal.

Draxal

Hoshido hard is weirder than Awakening, I want to say Awakening hard is tougher earlier, but Hoshido hard's get harder, but I think it's just because how broken some characters in Awakening are.

Although, Kamui/Takumi/Ryoma are pretty broken as well.

That's not saying much.

also I wonder if there's any streamers that played on Lunatic

There was a chinese streamer that got stuck on Nohr Lunatic chapter 10 for the longest time. Nohr chapter 10 seems to be one of the battleneck chapters.

Top Bottom