• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem if |Import OT| ~Should I Marry My Siblings Or Should I Kill Them?~

c-murph

I didn't find Awakening's story to be bad, just really simple. The themes of this game are already a lot more intriguing, and as I said, the whole story isn't even out yet.

Though it's obvious that the main focus of the 3DS games are the chararacters themselves, which is fine with me too.

Yeah, I put around 100hours into FE:A and barely remember next to nothing storywise. It was fun building characters but the story was bland as fuck. I just grinded the hell out of my characters so I could beat that last DLC story.

Hmmmm... let's see...
Bad guys come to revive dragon god. Chrome is heir to special sword who must stop the revival. Sister kills herself for some reason. Everyone gets beat up. Future Girl Marth and Friends join the battle. Stones pop up for no apparent reason and are all giving to you. Get new shiny Sword. Kill Bad Guys and Dragon. The End.
Did I miss anything?

haha yeah this is insanely awesome

221.gif

wtf. I want to know how.

Shun

How many hours did it take most people to beat the game? I'm doing My Castle stuff quite often, so it's going pretty slow.

For some members, it took about 30 hours on Normal. Longer depending on your difficulty and how long you want to take.

There are
chapters so it will take some time to burn and go through. I've just finished through Chapter 21 myself and have been focusing on supports and MyCastle/MyRoom to finish up Gaiden for the most part.

Hinoka and Hinata.

All of them cuz supports.

Also from my pixiv and other art feeds, as per Fire Emblem fan base tradition, BL is in full force with more to come in the coming weeks...

Apparently Marx is one of the most popular candidates with works depicting Marx/Zero, Marx/Leon, Marx/Kamui, and Marx/Joker.

It seems like there's more of Marx in general than Leon, Camilla, etc. I don't see Ryoma at all.

Wow, surprising Marx is super popular.

Thought the tsundere Leon would gain all the hits, lol

Definitely looking forward to seeing how the popularity polls play out

Draxal

Wow, surprising Marx is super popular.

Thought the tsundere Leon would gain all the hits, lol

Definitely looking forward to seeing how the popularity polls play out

Supposedly, Leon's more of a kuudere but yeah I'll wait for the popularity poll to see who the fan faves are, it's just too anecdotal at this moment.

StayDead

How many hours did it take most people to beat the game? I'm doing My Castle stuff quite often, so it's going pretty slow.

I'm at 4 hours 45 minutes on the clock right now at Anya chapter 10. Now add on about 20 hours of me restarting the damn level and I'm about 24 hours in and still only on chapter 10 haha.

This chapter on hard, oh my god it's so frustrating.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got a chance to play this for a couple of hours yesterday. I really like just about all of the changes they have made since the last game. The whole thing just feels a lot more polished.

I stopped after getting to the point where I had to choose between Anya and Byakuya (download version). Really tough decision to make. I mean, Byakuya is obviously the easy choice here, but the folks on the Anya side other than the King seemed pretty cool, too, and I could totally see an awesome story of redemption and turning things around for the country.

Gonna have to mull over this a bit more.

Sakura

Normal on Anya took me about 30 hours I think.
I'm currently on chapter 20 in Byakuya, and my in game clock says I've been playing 14 hours (and at least an hour of it is probably idling). I could see me finising Byakuya in under 20. Though for Byakuya, part of that is because I'm not spending as much time dealing with My Castle junk.

StayDead

Nooooooooooooooo! I finally got to turn 11 on Chapter 10 on Anya only to have Nyukusu die on the final turn. I completed the chapter then reset. This is so painful ;_;

Sakura

Nooooooooooooooo! I finally got to turn 11 on Chapter 10 on Anya only to have Nyukusu die on the final turn. I completed the chapter then reset. This is so painful ;_;

Are you save scumming or restarting the whole chapter every time someone dies?

Masked Man

I said wow
It took me several tries just to complete Chapter 5... Granted, this is only my second FE game (the first being Awakening), but I guess it's time for me to git gud.

Draxal

You can save mid battle whenever you want.

I'm playing casual cuz i'm lazy and can't read moon language, but it better be like Awakening when saves in battle would be deleted upon use in classic right?

edit. Not that I played Classic in Awakening either.

Sakura

I'm playing casual cuz i'm lazy and can't read moon language, but it better be like Awakening when saves in battle would be deleted upon use in classic right?

Oh, well, I don't play classic so I'm not sure on that. You do have two save slots though. And even if they were deleted on use couldn't you just resave when you load?

Marche90

No, you can't do that on Classic. On Classic you can't save mid-battle and there's a single suspend point which gets deleted whenever you reload (and you can't copy it)

The only way to do that, I *think*, not 100% sure, is to save ALL your data using the Save data manager of the 3DS and restoring it if something goes wrong.

So how much side stuff is there? In Awakening there were a good amount of paralogues, not to mention the spotpass battles you could do on the side.

Also, how funny are the characters? I laughed a lot in Awakening. Are they just as quirky?

Tomita

I wanna cry. I got the games but it turns out it doesn't work on RegionThree.

I'm sorry ):

Damn it, I was leaning towards Nohr but...I dig so many of the Hoshido designs...

And when it comes to
Zero and Shara, Zero
seemed better.

Hmm............... Trying not to read too many spoilers haha.

Gonna have to wait on people's impressions on both stories, I guess. Making it two carts is just mean. Also I would really prefer a hardcopy of both games...getting the other game as DLC makes me nervous.

I haven't seen this get mentioned. Any idea yet if the third DLC would work with two carts, one 3DS? I know it's not out yet
officially
, so maybe we don't know.

Draxal

Seems like lunatic might have fixed growths? Guess it's going the complete opposite of Awakening's lunatic + rng.

Also seems to be that there's no ambush reinforcements in lunatic as well.

So then, Galeforce for everyone!

Are you on an Asian system? Those things only work with US games.

Galeforce got nerfed! (doesn't work in guard or vanguard stance).

Seems like lunatic might have fixed growths? Guess it's going the complete opposite of Awakening's lunatic + rng.

Also seems to be that there's no ambush reinforcements in lunatic as well.

Galeforce got nerfed! (doesn't work in guard or vanguard stance).

Certainly doesn't sound like the gamebreaker it originally was then, but it's still pretty OP in terms of utility. I guess it costs as much as the other seals?

Sakura

So how much side stuff is there? In Awakening there were a good amount of paralogues, not to mention the spotpass battles you could do on the side.

Also, how funny are the characters? I laughed a lot in Awakening. Are they just as quirky?

Mmm in terms of side stories/gaiden (I assume that's what paralogues are?) if I remember correctly, there is one (which is shared between the two versions) and then one for each child.

For other stuff to do on the side, there is the My Castle stuff. You can spend time grinding to make your base better defended, and you can attack other peoples bases or just visit them.

I'm sorry ):

Damn it, I was leaning towards Nohr but...I dig so many of the Hoshido designs...

And when it comes to
Zero and Shara, Zero
seemed better.

Hmm............... Trying not to read too many spoilers haha.

Gonna have to wait on people's impressions on both stories, I guess. Making it two carts is just mean. Also I would really prefer a hardcopy of both games...getting the other game as DLC makes me nervous.

I haven't seen this get mentioned. Any idea yet if the third DLC would work with two carts, one 3DS? I know it's not out yet
officially
, so maybe we don't know.

I really would not recommend getting the two phsyical carts, it seems like that would be a waste of your money.
I'm not sure if what you're saying will work or not, because I don't know if the game is designed that way. It's designed so you buy one version then pay for the other two as DLC.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, well, I don't play classic so I'm not sure on that. You do have two save slots though. And even if they were deleted on use couldn't you just resave when you load?

I see. Yeah, I'm playing on classic and it's just a temp save. I haven't used it yet, but I'm pretty sure it just gets deleted when you load the game.

Shun

I will be leaving tomorrow gone on a road trip, camping and lake, with friends cross country for next 10-14 days so I will not be able to update as often or scan through thread as often.

I hope that people who get their copy this week enjoy the game.

I trust that the thread can govern itself, no derail comments about sales just game content.

I hope this thread has been help and useful for those who are still playing or are interested in the game.

GSR

My LE came in today. Going to be alternating playthroughs - streaming one and running through it with friends, and doing the other solo.

Starting off on Hard - we'll see how this goes...

Vena

I will be leaving tomorrow gone on a road trip, camping and lake, with friends cross country for next 10-14 days so I will not be able to update as often or scan through thread as often.

I hope that people who get their copy this week enjoy the game.

I trust that the thread can govern itself, no derail comments about sales just game content.

I hope this thread has been help and useful for those who are still playing or are interested in the game.

Everyone panic!

JimPanzer

So, I've been studying Japanese for about half a year. I'm done with TextFugu and sitting at WaniKani Level 10 (if anyone's familiar with these two ressources). Will I be able to get trough the game if I put in some work? I know there's no furigana, so running into umfamilar Kanji can be a problem.

GSR

So, I've been studying Japanese for about half a year. I'm done with TextFugu and sitting at WaniKani Level 10 (if anyone's familiar with these two ressources). Will I be able to get trough the game if I put in some work? I know there's no furigana, so running into umfamilar Kanji can be a problem.

As someone who passed JLPT N2 pretty handily last year - I can't speak for you, but I think it'll be difficult, even with a kanji dictionary at hand. I recommend watching footage of the game (Kotaku played the first few hours) and seeing how much you can read the dialogue. (The streamer translates as he goes, so you might want to mute it, then rewind and watch with sound to check your understanding.)

Sakura

The Japanese level in the game isn't particularly difficult, but I'm not really familiar with those resources so I couldn't tell you if you could read it or not.
I'm sure there will be kanji/words you will be unfamiliar with given the setting. The game is also not voiced, which will make things further difficult.
I'm not sure what to suggest other than looking at videos or screens like the other user suggested, and seeing if you can read them.

If all you're interested in is playing, you'll probably be able to make it but it may become a chore rather than fun. If you want to understand every word of dialogue it'll be brutally difficult and almost certainly will become a chore rather than fun.

Practically every dialogue panel will require multiple lookups until you learn the vocabulary and associated kanji. Plus there's a lot of colloquial verb-tense abbreviations and other conversational quirks that you don't learn in textbooks. On top of that, it's a pretty terrible learning source compared to, say, Yokai Watch or Animal Crossing because very little of the vocabulary in this game is used in the real world (a ton of fantasy and antiquated vocabulary).

JimPanzer

As someone who passed JLPT N2 pretty handily last year - I can't speak for you, but I think it'll be difficult, even with a kanji dictionary at hand. I recommend watching footage of the game (Kotaku played the first few hours) and seeing how much you can read the dialogue. (The streamer translates as he goes, so you might want to mute it, then rewind and watch with sound to check your understanding.)

The Japanese level in the game isn't particularly difficult, but I'm not really familiar with those resources so I couldn't tell you if you could read it or not.
I'm sure there will be kanji/words you will be unfamiliar with given the setting. The game is also not voiced, which will make things further difficult.
I'm not sure what to suggest other than looking at videos or screens like the other user suggested, and seeing if you can read them.

If all you're interested in is playing, you'll probably be able to make it but it may become a chore rather than fun. If you want to understand every word of dialogue it'll be brutally difficult and almost certainly will become a chore rather than fun.

Practically every dialogue panel will require multiple lookups until you learn the vocabulary and associated kanji. Plus there's a lot of colloquial verb-tense abbreviations and other conversational quirks that you don't learn in textbooks. On top of that, it's a pretty terrible learning source compared to, say, Yokai Watch or Animal Crossing because very little of the vocabulary in this game is used in the real world (a ton of fantasy and antiquated vocabulary).

thanks guys! I guess I'll wait with playing FE:If and try some easier games language-wise. Anything besides Animal Crossing and Yokai Watch you would reccomend?

I'm not too familiar with those, but the kanji's always my biggest problem with Japanese games; there's always a lot of unique vocab in RPGs that makes it hard to grasp what they're referring to. You'll definitely need a kanji dictionary on hand; Why not watch a few streams, see how well you can understand the early chapters?

thanks guys! I guess I'll wait with playing FE:If and try some easier games language-wise. Anything besides Animal Crossing and Yokai Watch you would reccomend?

For 3DS those are the two easiest to start with by a pretty good margin. Based on your avatar you might want to give Layton vs. Ace Attorney a shot (though it's a massive step up in vocabulary and grammar, it's got full furigana) and the other Layton games (same deal). Dragon Quest 7 also has full furigana and is quite a bit easier in terms of vocab and grammar. It's probably a good first "fantasy" game.

If you want anything more shoot me a PM, as this is a bit off-topic.

Tomita

I really would not recommend getting the two phsyical carts, it seems like that would be a waste of your money.
I'm not sure if what you're saying will work or not, because I don't know if the game is designed that way. It's designed so you buy one version then pay for the other two as DLC.

Considering Nintendo has no proper account system, I'm wary of downloading games. If NoA gets the special edition with both games on the cart, I'd totally get that. My worrying is probably silly considering I have over six months to make up my mind, heh.

Pokemon! You can turn kanji on/off in the latest games, last time I checked. I keep slacking the Japanese study, so I never played the game in Japanese, but it should be on level with Youkai Watch, and I've known loads of people trying Pokemon while studying the language. You don't even need to import, because it lets you select language in any region, so an American version can play in Japanese.

Pokemon! You can turn kanji on/off in the latest games, last time I checked. I keep slacking the Japanese study, so I never played the game in Japanese, but it should be on level with Youkai Watch, and I've known loads of people trying Pokemon while studying the language.

Yokai Watch is loads better. It shows kanji with furigana, which is miles better than the either/or that Pokemon offers when you're just beginning to study. It also has really great, natural writing, where Pokemon is pretty stilted and one-track (everyone, everywhere, is talking about Pokemon, all the time).

The same way that Yotsuba is (probably) the best "first manga to read in Japanese", I'm pretty convinced that Yokai Watch is the best "first game to play in Japanese."

StayDead

Are you save scumming or restarting the whole chapter every time someone dies?

As explained you can't save scum in classic. I scum the hell out of the older games though on virtual console as Gaiden especially feels impossible to not do it.

I'm restarting the chapter every time. It's been 4 days on this one chapter now haha. I'm doing better now I switched out Odin for Aqua since I stupidly forgot she was a dancer style class.

Top Bottom