• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem if |Import OT| ~Should I Marry My Siblings Or Should I Kill Them?~

Here are some of my thoughts on the plot: (Anya/Nohr route. Spoilers obviously)
The game is billed as you choosing between the family you were raised with, vs the family you are related to by blood, but that's not really the choice the game has you make.
It's more, King Garon is evil. Join Byakuya side and fight against him, or go with your Anya family and try to find out what his deal is.
I haven't played Byakuya yet, so I can only speak for Anya.
But the problem here, is that, well, it doesn't really make any sense. Your father is clearly bad, and does not give a shit about you, (even ordering you to be executed before being persuaded not to) yet your siblings (and you?) still consider him to be their father and a good dude? He is never shown to be fatherly at all in the game, he is like, evil embodied.
So basically, you spend the whole game just doing what he says because if you don't then you will be executed. Fine, whatever.
Eventually you learn that your father isn't actually your father any more and has been turned into some monster since who knows when. However, you have to prove that he is a monster because if you don't, then your family would never agree to fight him with you and instead you would be a traitor. Because why would your fucking brothers and sisters, believe you of all people, right? Even though the dude is clearly evil as all hell... but whatever.
So your goal becomes to reveal his true form. The throne in Byakuya conveintly reveals the truth or whatever of those who sit on it. So you plan to conquer Byakuya like a good Anya soldier, and then when you do, get King Garon to sit on the chair, then you will show your family he is actually a monster and you will fight them.
Great plan. Except uh, what if he doesn't sit on the throne? What if he knows what will happen if he sits on it? Nah let's not worry about that.

At some point it's just like, why don't you just revolt? Your forces have basically already been winning the war single handedly. So why not just kill Ganz? Why don't you just kill Macbeth? When they start killing innocents don't just stand there and be like "Grrr can't be helped for now. But once I get you on that throne dad...!" put a stop to it there.

I also didn't understand the part where Lilith died. It kind of came out of nowhere. Had she even like, been in the story proper at all since the beginning? The whole scene is weird. "They're aim is you Kamui, so run away while we hold them off!" so you run away... but then you get attacked by one of the monsters? What happened to them holding the things off? So Lilith takes the attack for you, because of course weak little Kamui couldn't possibly defend himself against a single Nosferatu. And then after she takes the hit and dies, your bros that were just telling you to run ahead as they hold off the monsters show up to see if you are alright. What? Why are they here? Why didn't you all just run away together in the first place then? Maybe this wouldn't have happened.

I dunno. The story was alright I guess. I was hoping for a little more politics and war.

Some other thoughts:
-I wish the overworld map was better. It's like google earth. Generic landscape doesn't mean anything to me. Should be colour coded for nations and borders and stuff.
-I wish you could restart a battle from the menu. ie you somehow lose a good unit on the first turn, or make a mistake in setting up the units, there should be an option to restart from the beginning.
-What is A+, why is it limited to one person, and why doesn't it have a support convo?
-Children feel very shoehorned in. In fact they don't even really make much sense in the game. They don't exist in the story, and they don't seem to have support convos with any body other than their parents and other kids. Why wouldn't Kamui's child at least have support convos with their aunts/uncles? Feels really lazy.
-Marriage should be reflected in the game. The game is not voiced. There is no reason they can't change text around or add some scenes/lines of dialogue to reflect your relationship. Elise calls me by my name (or just anata) in My Castle, but calls me Oniichan in the story? Fix that shit. It also doesn't make sense in context with some other scenes.
-Kamui seems to care way too much about his blood related family, and they about him. It doesn't make any sense. He doesn't even know who Sakura is before they meet, and she him. Then they exchange a few lines of dialogue together, and all of a sudden it's like they are as close as the sister he was actually raised with.
-I don't like Aqua, why is she in the game.
-The inability to grind money can make Anya route pretty difficult. Experience not as big of a deal.
-Some of the maps are pretty cool.
-Much better/stronger protagonist than in Awakening IMO

Probably other things but I've forgotten.
so those who played hoshido, did that plot make more sense?

antun

Harold is a really shitty unit. Or does he get extremely good when you promote him? So far I have been giving him a lot of time to grow but I think I will not use him again when I replay on higher difficulty levels...

Sakura

Harold is a really shitty unit. Or does he get extremely good when you promote him? So far I have been giving him a lot of time to grow but I think I will not use him again when I replay on higher difficulty levels...

I got good use out of him. He was doing mad crits for me later on.

Draxal

Hoshido kid spoilers
I like how Conquest from Awakening plays in Matoi and Syalla's stage (haven't unlocked Grey's stage yet

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━!!

SE just came in, starting on anya hard. Doesn't look like any 攻略 sites have possible support data up yet so no eugenics chart before starting this time ( ´_ゝ`)

Also interestingly the free 3rd campaign DLC is tied to the SE cart itself (downloaded from within the game) rather than a DLC code to be entered into the eshop.

キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━!!

SE just came in, starting on anya hard. Doesn't look like any 攻略 sites have possible support data up yet so no eugenics chart before starting this time ( ´_ゝ`)

Also interestingly the free 3rd campaign DLC is tied to the SE cart itself (downloaded from within the game) rather than a DLC code to be entered into the eshop.

yup.. was searching for the code originally when i get mine yesterday lol

Aizo

Banned
I feel like I'm not gaining anything from playing classic. I've played Fire Emblem games that don't have the casual option, but I don't think I'd miss it...

Do many feel like classic doesn't add anything to the experience?

Draxal

I feel like I'm not gaining anything from playing classic. I've played Fire Emblem games that don't have the casual option, but I don't think I'd miss it...

Do many feel like classic doesn't add anything to the experience?

It does if you're a very good player, I'm really not though, and I can get very lazy, where I do think Classic keeps your tactics sharper.

Draxal

Oh don't worry, you'll do it first time probably.

I'm having way more problems than I should be. How did you guys manage it?

I don't think anybody else was playing it on hard or lunatic here asides from you (until now).

edit.

Oh wait, OldGangWarily did so.

StayDead

I don't think anybody else was playing it on hard or lunatic here asides from you (until now).

edit.

Oh wait, OldGangWarily did so.

Maybe I should just switch down to normal. It's just I'm so damn close every time. that I really don't want to give in haha.

So how many of you guys with the game right now fully understand Japanese anyway? :p

I've been learning for near 5 years self taught and can understand most of the game apart from a few odd Kanji here and there. My reading and writing isn't too bad, but my spoken is terrible as I've never practiced it v_v

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
So how many of you guys with the game right now fully understand Japanese anyway? :p
7 years studying with 2 lived in Japan, practically fluent for media. I'm a ワープロ馬鹿 though (ノ∀`)

Oh wow, I may be late since the video is 2 days old now but did you guys see this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajCFnkFNliA

Some group is fan-translating the game and aims to have it out before the official release

edit: well, the actual translation quality doesn't look too good
Seems incredibly pointless. Would only be useful for a few months at best by the time it's finished.

Draxal

7 years studying with 2 lived in Japan, practically fluent for media. I'm a ワープロ馬鹿 though (ノ∀`)

Seems incredibly pointless. Would only be useful for a few months at best by the time it's finished.

Eh, game is going to get butchered on release in the states, I understand why there's a push for this.

Why not wait for the English version and use that as a base? Seems like it would save a lot of time and effort.

depends on what gets taken out

I imagine they are thinking of worst case scenarios here

if NoA takes out the touching and hot springs, then it would probably be a nightmare coding to put them back in assuming they weren't lazy and just removed the option

Kinsei

Banned

if NoA takes out the touching and hot springs, then it would probably be a nightmare coding to put them back in assuming they weren't lazy and just removed the option

I meant the translation, not the game itself. Why bother translating everything when you can get others to do the majority of it for you for free?

FSLink

Banned

They already have tools to rip models and stuff, they could make one that rips the script from both versions to use the NA version as a base to help translate (and then get C&D'd like DQ7 3DS). It doesn't have to be a direct copy and paste you know.

Draxal

I meant the translation, not the game itself. Why bother translating everything when you can get others to do the majority of it for you for free?

Alot of the stuff is already translated (supports and stuff, mind you that's barely nothing as the amount of text in this game is massive), think the fanbase is ravenous for some new fire emblem atm. I also think Treehouse will westernize the script (8-4 did it for Awakening and it was great, but some people are purists and just want the unfiltered versions as well).

Nohr chapter 10 pls stahp

I seriously wonder if they're going to nerf this in the western release.

McNum

You guys are making me worried with that Nohr 10 talk...

What does that chapter do that's so mean? I mean, from reading that
you lose units, and then immediately win, I take it it's a Defend map,
but that still seems like something that shouldn't be THAT hard.

So, could someone explain what makes it that bad, preferably in spoiler tags.

Sakura

In that situation they could always just use the English text that has already been translated in the NA release, and insert it into the Japanese release.
They are only doing this fan translation for the same reason any body does a fan translation, e-cred.

You guys are making me worried with that Nohr 10 talk...

What does that chapter do that's so mean? I mean, from reading that
you lose units, and then immediately win, I take it it's a Defend map,
but that still seems like something that shouldn't be THAT hard.

So, could someone explain what makes it that bad, preferably in spoiler tags.

It's not particularly hard in and of itself, it's just that
you have to last like 11 turns. So when enemies keep spawning and pushing at you, it could be hard to go a whole 11 turns without losing a single person.

StayDead

I kicked it down to normal and finished the level first try. It's not even comparable. On hard it's quite literally twice if not three times as hard as it is on normal at chapter 10. Barely anything spawns throughout the level and by turn 11 all that was left near the objective was one of the ninja enemies. I think they may have overdone the difficulty spike on hard at that chapter.

Part of me wants to reset again and keep throwing my head against the hard brick wall, but part of me wants to continue on with the story. Eugh.

L95

I can reliably get to turn 9 without trouble but I either get 2% critted or fuck up is my issue.

Got to turn 11 once but someone got rekt by a crit

StayDead

I can reliably get to turn 9 without trouble but I either get 2% critted or fuck up is my issue.

Got to turn 11 once but someone got rekt by a crit

I've gotten to the final turn on hard so many times and had someone die on the final attack. I then go about 20 turns not getting back to that due to bad RNG and then I feel like giving up.

I've got my hard save file and saved a new one for normal. One day I think I'll go back to hard and attempt it again, but I think maybe I need to powerlevel certain units in the previous missions in order to beat it easier.
You seriously need to be able to one shot the archers or you're screwed. I was using a team of Sylus and Elfie with Elfie in the main slot to survive and push them back, but I wasn't doing enough damage on hard. On normal I one shot the few archers there were and had no issues what so ever with the right side of the map.

It doesn't help when you have the three group of axers on the left spawn, they're really hard to kill and they do a ton of damage.

antun

Playing Fire Emblem without classic mode is like coffee without cream or love without kisses.

What´s the fun if nothing is at stake?

Hikami

Just finished Anya Chapter 10, wasn't that bad. Though I'm playing on Normal, guessing people having trouble are on Hard/Lunatic.

McNum

It's not particularly hard in and of itself, it's just that
you have to last like 11 turns. So when enemies keep spawning and pushing at you, it could be hard to go a whole 11 turns without losing a single person.
11 turns? That's a bit rough for an early-ish Defend map... Can you block the spawn points, or is that a bad idea due to range and/or limited Nohr EXP?

How easy is the AI to fool in this one, anyway? It kind of stopped falling for the "Unequip the toughest guy's weapon" trick around Awakening.

Draxal

Shun did Hoshido/Birthright on Lunatic :p

Btw, it looks like we were both wrong about this one.

https://twitter.com/CureVylash/status/615609260001599488

media create numbers are this week, but Fire Emblem Fates sold better than Awakening, new shipments are selling out, Nohr is more popular

Guess Xander/Leon >>>> neojapan, who knows what the end numbers will end up being though.

Ike's map was pretty easy, Marth's otoh.

But yeah, Ike's animations are really great.

wait, who's doing Anya Lunatic atm here? Don't tell me I'm alone? D:

Welp, you can use nerfed galeforce (ur byself).

Top Bottom