• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First PSP screens: Need for Speed Underground Rivals

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Old? I did a search and nothing came up

920772_20040923_screen001.jpg

920772_20040923_screen002.jpg

920772_20040923_screen003.jpg

920772_20040923_screen004.jpg

920772_20040923_screen005.jpg

http://www.gamespot.com/psp/driving/needforspeedunderground/preview_6108301.html

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Yeah, that's pretty raw...

I'm not impressed with the Tiger Woods screens either. EA needs to step up.

rs7k

Uhh... is the PSP supposed to be PS2 tech? I swear I heard PSP fanboys claiming the device was more powerful than the PS2.

In any case, it looks ugly.

Shompola

Banned
rs7k said:
Uhh... is the PSP supposed to be PS2 tech? I swear I heard PSP fanboys claiming the device was more powerful than the PS2.

In any case, it looks ugly.

Like most GBA games, they look much nicer in person.

Society said:
And so begins the era of handheld graphic whores.
Well, it is the main thing the system has going for it. Many games do look pretty close to their PS2 counterparts, so when one is... less close... it is conspicuous.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Doesn't look bad, which is the same I would say for the console versions of the game. After seeing the huge disparity in visual quality between the NFSU and Burnout 3, I can't wait to see what Criterion has in the store for the PSP.

Uhh... is the PSP supposed to be PS2 tech?
Err, have you actually seen the PS2 version of this game?

Agent X

The tracks look good, but the cars need a lot of work. The car models look a bit too boxy (angular), and appear as though they were pasted onto the road. The "pasted on" look might be brought about because the lighting seems wrong (most noticeable in the third and fourth pictures).

This is still early, so there's a lot of room for improvement. Still, at this point, I'd really much rather have a Burnout game for the PSP (in the style of Burnout 3).

PS2 KID

Suerte said:
Hmmm PSP screens are confusing, there's been a real mixture in the quality of graphics between them.

Yeah I agree. I guess some of these games were developed on the old 8MB specs and haven't been updated yet. :(

Could be they rushed the game to meet Japanese launch whenever that might be.

rs7k

Marconelly said:
Doesn't look bad, which is the same I would say for the console versions of the game. After seeing the huge disparity in visual quality between the NFSU and Burnout 3, I can't wait to see what Criterion has in the store for the PSP.

Err, have you actually seen the PS2 version of this game?

I have the first NFS:U on PS2, and I've also seen screens of it prior to its release.

The above PSP screens disappoint me. And LOL @ your tag :p

Insertia

I'm guessing none of you have played NFSU because that looks EXACTLY like NFSU(minus the jaggies, but that's probably because the screens are blown up).

I have the PC version and I see no visual difference.

jarrod

Banned
Gek54 said:
Burnout3 for PSP has already been confirmed.
Not Burnout 3 specifically, but "a BurnOut" has been unofficially confirmed (by Alex Ward) for PSP... I wouldn't be surprised if BO3 suddenly showed up on PSP & GC next spring/summer though.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
NFSU didnt look that good to begin with, if you take out the blurring effects that the game does

jarrod

Banned
Insertia said:
I'm guessing none of you have played NFSU because that looks EXACTLY like NFSU(minus the jaggies, but that's probably because the screens are blown up).

920467_20040817_screen001.jpg
920467_20040817_screen004.jpg

Insertia said:

yeah, and hunters looks just like prime on cube... :D

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I'm not going to nitpick the visuals. I'm more concerned w/ fluidity.

60fps?

What clip have most of these 3D portable games been running at?

puck1337

It's ugly, but considering the fact that they probably wrote most of it using an emulator, I'm not too concerned. Plus it's a lot better if you keep in mind that IT'S A FUCKING HANDHELD.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
DaCocoBrova said:
I'm not going to nitpick the visuals. I'm more concerned w/ fluidity.

60fps?

What clip have most of these 3D portable games been running at?

Wasn't the first NFSU capped at 30 fps?

Takuan

I don't understand, isn't the PSP supposed to be more powerful than the PS2? The shots released for every game thus far look worse than the average PS2 game. Geometry and details look below par.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Insertia said:
Sure as hell doesn't look half that good on my rig. :)

(2.0Ghz, 512MB RAM, GeForce 5400, 2x AA, 4x AF)
6733.jpg

920772_20040923_screen003.jpg

looks the same to me.

WTF dude? That's ugly, something's wrong with your PC. My NFSU looks twice better than that GameSpot shot. I'll post a pic, give me some time.

Edit: And I'm running a GF TI4600

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The above PSP screens disappoint me.
They disapoint me too, but I was disappointed with the NFSU on PS2 as well. As you can see on the PC screens the game is just (all versions) kinda fugly like that.

Marconelly said:
They disapoint me too, but I was disappointed with the NFSU on PS2 as well. As you can see on the PC screens the game is just (all versions) kinda fugly like that.

It doesnt change the fact that it looks much worse......

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It doesnt change the fact that it looks much worse......
What exactly looks much worse? Except for the blurring effect which is hard to see in the screens anyways, I don't even see any significant difference.

I'm willing to bet most PS2 screenshots of NFSU didn't even look as good as this one for example:

920772_20040923_screen002.jpg

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
the gall of profferring crap like this and tiger woods when shin ridge racer and minna no golf are going to be on psp. damn, ea sucks.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
clipunderground said:
The graphics here are alright but don't come close to DS quality. Not to mention no pictochat.

:lol

I really don't understand why people are ragging on the screenshots though. I'm just amazed that we're getting 3d graphics of this calibur on a HANDHELD. But graphics whores or PSP trolls are just gonna compare it to consoles and say how terrible the games look like

As for NFSU, I don't see what people saw in that game. Ugh

Kon Tiki

Banned
Wario64 said:
:lol

I really don't understand why people are ragging on the screenshots though. I'm just amazed that we're getting 3d graphics of this calibur on a HANDHELD. But graphics whores or PSP trolls are just gonna compare it to consoles and say how terrible the games look like

As for NFSU, I don't see what people saw in that game. Ugh

Funny thing is, most of the trolls are coming from the Sony camp.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
NFSU is an entertaining game. It's also a game that one could easily predict would become a favorite target of elitists, EA-haters, etc. regardless of its merits as a fun title.

It's gotta be a drag not being able to enjoy 'mainstream' entertainment...

Top Bottom