• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fist of the North Star |OT| of heads exploding and instant beard growing!

hyp

haven't been this hyped about a game in a while! the fist of the north star fanboy in me is at full omega force this entire week. :D

hyp said:
haven't been this hyped about a game in a while! the fist of the north star fanboy in me is at full omega force this entire week. :D

ICWUDT! :lol

I'm with you tho, I can't wait to truly dive into this game.

hyp

AdawgDaFAB said:
ICWUDT! :lol

I'm with you tho, I can't wait to truly dive into this game.

i've been reading some of that gamefaqs thread. great to hear that there are some subtle "hardcore" mechanics to the gameplay. i will most likely ditch all games i've been playing and fully soak this one in for a while like i did bayonetta.

it's been a dream of mine to have a proper beat-em-up w/ the FOTNS license. musou + omega force is just icing on the cake for me. love love love their team.

The manga has finally been completely scanlated recently so I think that + this game may make me go back and reread it ^__^.

Carnby

i want to buy this game. and i just so happen to have 45 dollars in best buy gift cards.

but unfortunately, for some reason, best buy will not be carrying the ps3 version on line or in store. what the hell? they are the only vendors that are not carrying the ps3 version. there is no good reason for this.

jaekwon15 said:
i want to buy this game. and i just so happen to have 45 dollars in best buy gift cards.

but unfortunately, for some reason, best buy will not be carrying the ps3 version on line or in store. what the hell? they are the only vendors that are not carrying the ps3 version. there is no good reason for this.

Why in the hell would BB only carry 1 version of the game?

Pein

Banned
KeioSquad2 said:
Why in the hell would BB only carry 1 version of the game?
It looks like target isn't carrying the game at all, I've checked their site and searching brings up nothing. The weekly ad doesn't mention it either.

Pein said:
It looks like target isn't carrying the game at all, I've checked their site and searching brings up nothing.

Wow! Looks like I have to get this asap, or I fear that no one will carry this anymore? (and the game just came out?.......?)

Xater said:
I will cry bitter tears when this gets better scores than Sengoku Basara. :(

SB3 is my action game of the year, but I can EASILY see why Hokuto Musou could pull better review scores. Both are highly entertaining games (and probably the best in the genre gameplay wise atm) whose biggest drawback is their character roster. Hokuto Musou's Legend Mode is surprisingly damn fun (especially if you are the type of gamer that likes to S rank stages and find all the hidden secrets / missions in them) and the story with well put together cinematics that would invoke nostalgia overload for any long time Hokuto fan. That alone will earn it better review scores imo. The level up system is also a major plus in my eyes as it evokes the feeling of "Oh man, I just need X more points to get Y upgrade! Let me hurry up and play one more level!".

Truthfully, I am so glad I've gotten to play both of these games and I am hoping that this time next year we will hopeful we have Hokuto Musou 2 and BASARA 3 Heroes already out or on their way :D . It just makes too much sense in SB's case, and Koei has a TON of Musou games coming out in the next few months, but nothing after. HM2 or Orochi 3 for late 2011 or early 2012 is my guess for something that they will have compete with SB3H.

Xater

AdawgDaFAB said:
SB3 is my action game of the year, but I can EASILY see why Hokuto Musou could pull better review scores. Both are highly entertaining games (and probably the best in the genre gameplay wise atm) whose biggest drawback is their character roster. Hokuto Musou's Legend Mode is surprisingly damn fun (especially if you are the type of gamer that likes to S rank stages and find all the hidden secrets / missions in them) and the story with well put together cinematics that would invoke nostalgia overload for any long time Hokuto fan. That alone will earn it better review scores imo. The level up system is also a major plus in my eyes as it evokes the feeling of "Oh man, I just need X more points to get Y upgrade! Let me hurry up and play one more level!".

Truthfully, I am so glad I've gotten to play both of these games and I am hoping that this time next year we will hopeful we have Hokuto Musou 2 and BASARA 3 Heroes already out or on their way :D . It just makes too much sense in SB's case, and Koei has a TON of Musou games coming out in the next few months, but nothing after. HM2 or Orochi 3 for late 2011 or early 2012 is my guess for something that they will have compete with SB3H.

I don't think it's a bad game but imo SB3 is better. I'll get it once I can get it for around 20€. Right now with Balck Ops coming up I just don't have the time for another Musou title. And to be honest when it comes to upcoming Musou titles I am mostly excited about Gundam Musou 3. ;)

zaidr

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
hokutou-musou-20091013110032822_640w.jpg

Why no nipples? Would that make it M rated?

I dunno man the demo just isn't working for me.

It'd be one thing if bad guys actually looked like they're getting the crap kicked out of them. Instead it's just a bunch of lame-looking blood effects and then eventually they blow up and die. This instantly puts it below the level of most good beatemups.

Plus I fought that one Iron-dude at the end and instead of one-arming a girder like a champ I'm slowly two-arm swinging it around like a chump. It didn't really matter though because the fight was so damn easy. At one point I was just running in circles and the bad guy was following along with that stupid little walk of his...he couldn't even be bothered to throw a punch or something?

The presentation also doesn't really look good. It's cheesy but not in the awesome cheesy. Either they're trying way too hard or they're just not trying hard enough. It bugs the hell out of me that people are still screwing up a literally impossible concept to screw up like HnK.

Oh and 30 FPS. Complete drek.

hayejin

zaidr said:
Why no nipples? Would that make it M rated?

The manga never had nipples. Tetsuo did draw nipples on male characters initially but as the series progressed on, all the male characters had some perfect physiques and everyone had like perfectly chiseled breast plate/armo like muscles on their chest making it impossible to correctly put nipples on there.

But female characters have nippes(Mamiya). :D

Jinaar

On a comparison between this and Sengoku Basara on the PS3, do they both match up on the game style? (I haven't played the demo yet uggg sorry).

Basically I sort of dig these sorts of games, I pretty much love N3 and N3-2, DW series from way back, and the Basara series. This might be another fawesome pick up. Tells me now!

JKTrix

When I went to pick this up, the hot Gamestop chick asked me if I played the demo already. I responded saying 'Yeah, I'm a fan of the comic and cartoon'. She responded saying something including 'manga' and 'anime', even pronouncing them properly. I was surprised.

Also somewhat surprised that the 360 loading issues were not fixed.

Pein said:
first review is up from destructoid
http://www.destructoid.com/review-fist-of-the-north-star-ken-s-rage

not gonna lie way higher then I expected
is this some kind of sick joke?\

this pasty-faced buffoon gives vanquish a 5 because he doesn't understand it, and then gives this pile of dreck an 8.5?

i'm as big a FOTNS fan as the next basement-dweller, but the demo is absolute garbage. i'll play a shitty game even if its fun ("fun" can have many meanings) and i'll likely play this one, but goddamn if this doesn't paint a picture of how unintelligent a person has to be in order to 'review' a game i don't know what does.

Rabbitwork said:
is this some kind of sick joke?\

this pasty-faced buffoon gives vanquish a 5 because he doesn't understand it, and then gives this pile of dreck an 8.5?

i'm as big a FOTNS fan as the next basement-dweller, but the demo is absolute garbage. i'll play a shitty game even if its fun ("fun" can have many meanings) and i'll likely play this one, but goddamn if this doesn't paint a picture of how unintelligent a person has to be in order to 'review' a game i don't know what does.

He's trolling more than likely. Either that or he's such a fan of the series he can overlook everything.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Rabbitwork said:
i don't think he reviewed the demo though

matmanx1

Got my game home but haven't taken the shrink wrap off of it yet. Does anyone know when K/T plans to put some of the DLC on the PSN? Dare I hope tonight?

Anyway I'll be jumping in here shortly for some manly beat em up action!

matmanx1

Several hours later and I've been playing pretty much non stop. Cleared the first 3 chapters with Kenshiro and I'm really getting a feel for how he fights and how to time his moves for maximum effectiveness. What at first felt slow and cumbersome is now becoming a killing machine like no other!

I can already see this becoming my favorite "warriors" game very quickly. (Previous fave was Warriors Orochi followed closely by Gundam Musou 2) I dig the destructive environments, the upgrade trees make grinding fun and the signature moves are a blast to pull off. And it certainly helps that the story from the manga and anime is pretty closely followed with nifty story sequences. For me, this is a really fun package!

matmanx1 said:
Several hours later and I've been playing pretty much non stop. Cleared the first 3 chapters with Kenshiro and I'm really getting a feel for how he fights and how to time his moves for maximum effectiveness. What at first felt slow and cumbersome is now becoming a killing machine like no other!

I can already see this becoming my favorite "warriors" game very quickly. (Previous fave was Warriors Orochi followed closely by Gundam Musou 2) I dig the destructive environments, the upgrade trees make grinding fun and the signature moves are a blast to pull off. And it certainly helps that the story from the manga and anime is pretty closely followed with nifty story sequences. For me, this is a really fun package!

Hopefully more people get this same reaction. I honestly think this is the best Musou game Omega Force has done in ages. It takes a while to get into it, but once you do things just flow and it is fantastic. I even really like the ghetto platforming stuff in Legend mode too, makes it feel different from your standard Musou gameplay design.

I got kind of a Nier vibe from the demo (in that it was a quirky, rough but fun game).

Whats the length and replay value like from your limited playtime?

Like I said I'm not familiar with the anime, but am thinking about trading Smackdown 2011 in for this.

lupinko

I borrowed Hokuto Musou from my friend, hopefully this will tide me over until Hokuo Musou International comes out, which I do plan on getting. :D

canadian crowe said:
I got kind of a Nier vibe from the demo (in that it was a quirky, rough but fun game).

Whats the length and replay value like from your limited playtime?

Like I said I'm not familiar with the anime, but am thinking about trading Smackdown 2011 in for this.

Ken's Legend Mode alone is pretty long: 14 stages, each lasting anywhere from 20-40 minutes depending on if you try to just rush through it or get an S rank on it. The few other's with Legend Modes have between 3-6 stages iirc. All 8 characters then get their own Dream Mode story, which is more like your typical Musou gameplay (huge stage, warring armies, base capture, etc...). Additionally, it can take a really long time if someone tries to max out a character by getting every single upgrade on their meridian chart.

In the end, there is a LOT of gameplay to be had in this, despite it only having 8 (+2 DLC) characters. It should last you a damn good while.

This game is going to be a blast to play for fans (myself included) but sadly, I honestly give it less than three months before it's $14.99 in the bargain bin.

AdawgDaFAB said:
Ken's Legend Mode alone is pretty long: 14 stages, each lasting anywhere from 20-40 minutes depending on if you try to just rush through it or get an S rank on it. The few other's with Legend Modes have between 3-6 stages iirc. All 8 characters then get their own Dream Mode story, which is more like your typical Musou gameplay (huge stage, warring armies, base capture, etc...). Additionally, it can take a really long time if someone tries to max out a character by getting every single upgrade on their meridian chart.

In the end, there is a LOT of gameplay to be had in this, despite it only having 8 (+2 DLC) characters. It should last you a damn good while.

Hmm, sounds intriguing. I did enjoy the demo, but never played a Dynasty Warriors game before (that's the American name for Musou, right?). i might just take a leap of faith and get it. I've had amazing luck with that this year (Shattered Dimensions and singularity are two examples)

geebee

Banned
shuri said:
the game is a 3/10 at best.. They should just port the fun atomiswave game instead.
Based on what scale? :lol Very convincing.

Does anyone know if Frys will be carrying this?

Top Bottom