• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow, very impressive, cooter.

so there appears to be hundreds of "how to do a muscle up" videos on youtube. is there one specifically that i should try to learn this from? i want to learn this on a quiet day at the gym.

MjFrancis

Thanks Francis. Hey, all you've mostly missed is 6 pages of discussion about quest bars. lol No biggie
If this Quest Bar addiction gets any more out of hand, someone is going to have to host an intervention.

The Mrtoughpants protocol. Eat what you want not givin a fuuuuck. (Must have an active lifestyle to not become a tub of shit)
I'm not on the MTP level, but sometimes it feels like I'm close. Fasting most of the time probably makes it seem like I eat more than I really do - I'm still between 3,500 and 4,000 calories a day and I'm neither losing nor gaining weight.

---

Finally got around to updating parts of the OP that needed it. Post #2 has bodyweight info and Post #4 has my thoughts on cardio. Could be better, could be worse. I'll edit later as I get ideas on how to pare it down or make it better. Or if I get hate mail.

crpav

Muscle Pharm Combat Powder Cookies and Cream protein powder = THE BEST I MAY HAVE EVER HAD!

4 Lbs. Cookies & Cream
Serving Size:1Scoop Approx.(34.9g)
Servings Per Container Approx.:52‡
Amount Per Serving % DV†
Calories 140
Calories From Fat 15
Total Fat 1.5g 4%
Saturated Fat 1g 8%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 75mg 27%
Sodium 150mg 6%
Potassium 200mg 6%
Carbohydrates 5g 2%
Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
Sugars 2g *
Protein 25g 50%
Calcium 13%
Iron 3%
Multi-Level Amino Acid Growth Matrix 33g *
Combat Powder™ Proprietary Time Release System
Micro Filtered Whey Protein Blend (Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Hydroslate), Micellar Casein, Egg White Albumen, L-Glutamine, L-Leucine, L-Valine, L-Isoleucine; Also Provides Alanine, Lysine, Arginine, Glycine, Histidine, Tyrosine, Cystine, Methionine, Phenylalanine, Proline, Serine, Aspartic Acid, Threonine, Tryptophan*
Digestive Enzyme Blend
Protease, Lactase
Other Ingredients
Cookie Pieces, (Enriched Flour, Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Sugar, High Oleic Canola And/or Soybean Oil, Cocoa, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Baking Soda And/or Calcium Phosphate, Salt, Soy Lecithin, Chocolate, Vanillin), Natural And Artificial Flavors, Inulin, Sodium Chloride, Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose, Soy Lecithin, Potassium Citrate

grumble

Hard to progress resistance, high reps deliver endurance more than strength, some muscles aren't worked out well by pure body weight (lower back for example). I mean there are ways around it, but it's hard as balls to do. Easier just to lift weights.

Any good deals on protein powder?

And I'm just doing my best to eat within my macros. I do love my cheat meals though. Helps keep things in check.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

so there appears to be hundreds of "how to do a muscle up" videos on youtube. is there one specifically that i should try to learn this from? i want to learn this on a quiet day at the gym.
Thanks Kevo. Here is my advice and it comes in steps.

1) master body weight pullups and specifically focus on exploding up to your chest.

2) Add weighted pull ups but you still should be reaching your chest.

3) Once you can crank 45lb weighted pullups for 3 sets of 10 start attempting muscle ups. By this point it should just be a matter of time and practice.

Also, do weighted dips often and heavy! The actual form of a muscle up can be tricky and a little difficult to explain. You don't want to go straighg up rather at a slight angle where your body is pointing toward the bar. Get a slight rocking going and work on your timing. I hope that made a little sense. :/

If this Quest Bar addiction gets any more out of hand, someone is going to have to host an intervention.

I'm not on the MTP level, but sometimes it feels like I'm close. Fasting most of the time probably makes it seem like I eat more than I really do - I'm still between 3,500 and 4,000 calories a day and I'm neither losing nor gaining weight.

---

Finally got around to updating parts of the OP that needed it. Post #2 has bodyweight info and Post #4 has my thoughts on cardio. Could be better, could be worse. I'll edit later as I get ideas on how to pare it down or make it better. Or if I get hate mail.

Hey everyone. I keep lurking this thread with trepidation but I just wanted to thank you Francis for the hard work you put into the OP. It has been a irreplaceable resource for me. See you guys around.

1) master body weight pullups and specifically focus on exploding up to your chest.

3) Once you can crank 45lb weighted pullups for 3 sets of 10 start attempting muscle ups. By this point it should just be a matter of time and practice.

Also, do weighted dips often and heavy! The actual form of a muscle up can be tricky and a little difficult to explain. You don't want to go straighg up rather at a slight angle where your body is pointing toward the bar. Get a slight rocking going and work on your timing. I hope that made a little sense. :/

I always send people to T-Nation that ask me about them:
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most.../muscleups_the_ultimate_upper_body_exercise

I like his tutorial.

Here's some reading material.

thanks guys!

i've been dong weighted pullups and just added weighted dips (only 20lbs for both right now, a plate would be a lot for me at my weight), but i'll work on getting the explosive aspects down at the school by my place. I really want to be able to muscle up heading into summer; i'm hoping to add an outdoors plyo/calisthenics/medicine ball day when the weather gets nice.

kikanny

Do they? I actually can't even find the US GNC site to check, it always kicks me to the CDN site. Can you direct link me?

Here, see if this works: http://tinyurl.com/c7cnpjt
I went halfway through the checkout process and it updated shipping and handling charge to about 15 bucks for 4 boxes. Not bad I guess. Still checking if there are better deals anywhere else. US always gets the good stuff :<

Cudder

Here, see if this works: http://tinyurl.com/c7cnpjt
I went halfway through the checkout process and it updated shipping and handling charge to about 15 bucks for 4 boxes. Not bad I guess. Still checking if there are better deals anywhere else. US always gets the good stuff :<

Did you not see the little note on the left hand side of the product page that says it only ships to US customers? ;)

Cooter

thanks guys!

i've been dong weighted pullups and just added weighted dips (only 20lbs for both right now, a plate would be a lot for me at my weight), but i'll work on getting the explosive aspects down at the school by my place. I really want to be able to muscle up heading into summer; i'm hoping to add an outdoors plyo/calisthenics/medicine ball day when the weather gets nice.

You are well on your way! For reference I am currently finishing at 75lbs for 8 on weighted pull-ups and 90lbs for 15 on weighted dips. Keep up the hard work!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Alien and cooter both train fasted and they're both huge.

Yep (don't know about the huge part though), in fact, I just did this fasted. Decided to give 135lb weighted dips a go. Ain't nothin' but a peanut!

Pull-Up:
13 reps (+145 pts)
13 reps (+145 pts)
13 reps (+145 pts)
13 reps (+145 pts)
13 reps (+145 pts)

Barbell Bench Press:
230 lb x 3 reps (+100 pts)
265 lb x 3 reps (+127 pts)
295 lb x 9 reps (+224 pts)
330 lb x 2 reps (+166 pts)
330 lb x 2 reps (+166 pts)
Superset with external rotations and face pulls

Barbell Incline Bench Press:
225 lb x 5 reps (+124 pts)
Superset with face pulls

Pendlay Row:
205 lb x 5 reps (+79 pts)

Dips - Chest Version:
5 reps || weighted || 135 lb (+144 pts)
4 reps || weighted || 135 lb (+110 pts)
14 reps (+117 pts)
Decided to go HAM.

Barbell Curl:
60 lb x 10 reps (+17 pts)
60 lb x 7 reps (+16 pts)
60 lb x 7 reps (+16 pts)
60 lb x 6 reps (+15 pts)
60 lb x 6 reps (+15 pts)

I still pretty much fast most of the day, but when it's chow time after workout or the night before a work out I eat like humanity depends on it.

CrankyJay

Banned
I think GNC canceled my cookie dough bar order....fuck these guys.

I checked my credit card and they charged me 3 days ago and today credited it all back. No email notification.

I only did this to get their free Gold Card.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Hax? Enlighten me Shogun.

Wat?

You mean dis?

spotlight2.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone in here have any experience following either of John Kiefer's books (Carb Nite and Carb Back Loading)?

andycapps

Really solid results, man. In a few years, I'd like to be where you're at, though I'm a few inches taller. Will probably aim for about 200-205. I'm at 215 right now, but there will be some cuts and bulks between now and then. Currently cutting for 10th anniversary next month.

Cooter

Really solid results, man. In a few years, I'd like to be where you're at, though I'm a few inches taller. Will probably aim for about 200-205. I'm at 215 right now, but there will be some cuts and bulks between now and then. Currently cutting for 10th anniversary next month.
Thanks. I just had my 11th. Congrats on the longevity! In a few years I hope you're beyond where I'm at brother! Train hard and eat smart. :)

SeanR1221

Shogun a fucking beeeeaaaasssstttt.

When I go to do 5/3/1 I've been debating about my pendlays on bench day. Less weight (5x10) heavy (3x5) or in between (5x5)

Goal? A bigger stronger back.

I feel like shit today, and I need gym inspiration. Will someone share a powerlifting video that'll get me excited? I'm partial to squats.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I feel like shit today, and I need gym inspiration. Will someone share a powerlifting video that'll get me excited? I'm partial to squats.

Oldie but goodie.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz6-1XczIIE

Shogun a fucking beeeeaaaasssstttt.

When I go to do 5/3/1 I've been debating about my pendlays on bench day. Less weight (5x10) heavy (3x5) or in between (5x5)

Goal? A bigger stronger back.

Lol, not a beast... yet.

Just crushed chinese food, a row of tagalongs, 20oz of milk and 2 scoops of mint chocolate whey.

Demon Ice

Banned
Fucking sprained wrists. My workouts are pretty much limited to lower body and abs til my stupid left wrist stops tweaking.

Guess it's time to improve my squats and deadlifts, assuming I can at least hold the weight without my wrist hurting Squats at the very least should be doable. Worried my upper body is gonna go to shit in 2-3 weeks though, had just managed to hit 95 lbs on the OHP, 135 lbs on the Pendlay rows, and 155 lbs on the bench before I injured myself.

ToxicAdam

When I don't feel like going to workout, I will use just about any excuse not to go. Last time I did it was when I couldn't find my earbuds for my mp3 player.

Cooter

Hey Shogun, why are you BB curling so little? That must feel like a q-tip for someone as powerful as you!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Moved

Hey Shogun, why are you BB curling so little? That must feel like a q-tip for someone as powerful as you!

Been asked that a few times actually. Here and at the gym, although not with the "someone as powerful as you" tag at the end. :p

Never really focused on them, also, probably has to do with it being the last thing I do after all dat back work. I also do them supersetted right after dips.

Other than that, my curl is probably just weak.

bjb

Banned
I don't do shakes. I just do a post workout meal and I go into my workout fasted.

Same. For motivation - sometimes I'll fix up a really nice meal (chicken & fresh broccoli) and store it in the fridge until I get back. Definitely something to work towards.

Cooter

Moved

Been asked that a few times actually. Here and at the gym, although not with the "someone as powerful as you" tag at the end. :p

Never really focused on them, also, probably has to do with it being the last thing I do after all dat back work. I also do them supersetted right after dips.

Other than that, my curl is probably just weak.

It's shocking to me. You could get that up through the roof if you wanted! Makes sense though.

blackflag

Muscle Pharm Combat Powder Cookies and Cream protein powder = THE BEST I MAY HAVE EVER HAD!

4 Lbs. Cookies & Cream
Serving Size:1Scoop Approx.(34.9g)
Servings Per Container Approx.:52‡
Amount Per Serving % DV†
Calories 140
Calories From Fat 15
Total Fat 1.5g 4%
Saturated Fat 1g 8%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 75mg 27%
Sodium 150mg 6%
Potassium 200mg 6%
Carbohydrates 5g 2%
Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
Sugars 2g *
Protein 25g 50%
Calcium 13%
Iron 3%
Multi-Level Amino Acid Growth Matrix 33g *
Combat Powder™ Proprietary Time Release System
Micro Filtered Whey Protein Blend (Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Hydroslate), Micellar Casein, Egg White Albumen, L-Glutamine, L-Leucine, L-Valine, L-Isoleucine; Also Provides Alanine, Lysine, Arginine, Glycine, Histidine, Tyrosine, Cystine, Methionine, Phenylalanine, Proline, Serine, Aspartic Acid, Threonine, Tryptophan*
Digestive Enzyme Blend
Protease, Lactase
Other Ingredients
Cookie Pieces, (Enriched Flour, Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Sugar, High Oleic Canola And/or Soybean Oil, Cocoa, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Baking Soda And/or Calcium Phosphate, Salt, Soy Lecithin, Chocolate, Vanillin), Natural And Artificial Flavors, Inulin, Sodium Chloride, Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose, Soy Lecithin, Potassium Citrate

It's really good. One if the few I like besides trutein but I usually just stick with trutein anyway.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
It's shocking to me. You could get that up through the roof if you wanted! Makes sense though.

To be honest, I only started doing them because I fear ripping the tendon deadlifting (even though I never feel it engage in the deadlift), plus my biceps look pathetic next to my tris. Curls just aren't a focus for me, I see it as more of a prehab like my facepulls, pull aparts and external rotations.

Everything I do really is focused around my "powerlifting."

I really, really want to compete once this rookie rotation is over.

andycapps

Thanks. I just had my 11th. Congrats on the longevity! In a few years I hope you're beyond where I'm at brother! Train hard and eat smart. :)

Keeping at it. Thanks!

Tweaked my neck last night sleeping. That or I did it during my workout but didn't feel a thing at the time.

Cooter

To be honest, I only started doing them because I fear ripping the tendon deadlifting (even though I never feel it engage in the deadlift), plus my biceps look pathetic next to my tris. Curls just aren't a focus for me, I see it as more of a prehab like my facepulls, pull aparts and external rotations.
That's the right attitude. My vanity gets the best of me when it comes to bis. Love working them hard!

I'm almost ashamed to admit it but I finish at 135 when I should probably be at 125. I ss them with bench press and do 10x85, 8x95, 6x115, and 3 or 4 (usually 3)x135.

Petrie

Banned
I think GNC canceled my cookie dough bar order....fuck these guys.

I checked my credit card and they charged me 3 days ago and today credited it all back. No email notification.

I only did this to get their free Gold Card.

Just go instore. New policy is if you ask about the free Gold Card, they give you one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom