• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys ever go running outside and feel a sense of camaraderie when you see someone else doing the exact same thing as you? I absolutely love this one super steep hill I discovered by my apartment, and I always go up and down repeatedly once I finish the initial lap. Well, this guy I had passed before on the opposite hill wound up on my side, and I just felt the need to give him a thumbs up when I saw his silhouette breaking through the summit, because it was clear to me that he was going to stick around there for a while. It was funny because when I gave him the thumbs up as we passed each other, he actually waved at me at the same time. Then we just stuck to different hills and saw each other go up and down.

Good times. I didn't have as much energy in me tonight, unfortunately, so I got tired much more quickly. It was also nice to see someone out and about at the time. It's usually pretty dead when I go running there (anywhere from 8-10 PM). The hill's a killer, too. I only run up, not down. Don't want to fall :p

ZeroRay

As I increase the weight on my squats, my lower back, or more specifically the lower part of my spine from hip down starts to hurt.

I may be arching my back when going down, going too deep, and/or not having my feet set well enough. Any advice would be appreciated. The camera on my phone is busted, otherwise I'd have taken a video.

Starting Carb Nite Solution tomorrow. 10 days from that we have a gaming night at my friends which makes it a perfect first Carb Nite.

Any last minute tips for a beginner from you guys who are already doing it?

:DDD

Just because it has carbs doesn't mean you should drink alcohol (if your gaming nights are anything like mine). Go fucking HAM your first time to find your limits, throw all the extra shit away the next morning.

I love coming to this thread to read some good pissed off GNC employee/quest bar humor... hahaha.

on the quest bar note though my wife cut up and baked a chocolate chip cookie dough one and it tasted and looked awesomely similar to chocolate chip cookies.

Starting Carb Nite Solution tomorrow. 10 days from that we have a gaming night at my friends which makes it a perfect first Carb Nite.

:DDD

I learned to completely forget about macros and calories and turn off the OCD part of my brain on carb nite. I would have lot more weight on this diet but I was trying not to go over a certain amount of calories and being a big old biggity bitch about it. Then when I decided to go hog wild I went back and was actually lighter after my carb nite. So I've been going absolutely insane every Saturday since and I've lost way more weight not giving a shit than I did when I cared. I eat everything in sight for about 8 hours. 8-10k calories easy.

andycapps

Oh shit! I forgot to memtion this. I'm at the gym and I run into the guy who introduced me to quest bars. He works on the side for them and they hook him up with free product. I asked him if he wanted to sell any and he said he will flat out give me what he has! He tells me he has boxes and boxes of them and he needs to get rid of them because he has a show coming up and he doesn't need the temptation. I have no idea how many boxes he has but who cares. How freaking great is that?

I wish I could work for Quest on the side.

How much you've lost then in total? Or what's the approx. weekly amount you've been losing?
I lose about 1.5 lbs - 2 lbs per week. When I was being cautious with the carb nite I was losing .5 - 1 lb per week. I've lost about 14 lbs since i started 3 months ago. It's all fat though since I was already cutting out carbs and had been cutting for a while. So no water weight to lose.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like I picked the right time to do Carb Nite. Keto's starting to stall a bit.

despire

I lose about 1.5 lbs - 2 lbs per week. When I was being cautious with the carb nite I was losing .5 - 1 lb per week. I've lost about 14 lbs since i started 3 months ago. It's all fat though since I was already cutting out carbs and had been cutting for a while. So no water weight to lose.

That's pretty amazing. So you are not watching any calories at all? Protein and fat high and then just pig out on Carb Nite? Do you have any idea how much you might be eating calorie wise on off days? And how much you weigh if I may ask?

Btw, can you think of any common mistakes people make on this diet? Starting tomorrow and I want to be sure I'm doing it right. I was just reading the Carb Back Loading manual but apparently it's not that critical with the details on CN?

Anyway, appreciate your answers :)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That's pretty amazing. So you are not watching any calories at all? Protein and fat high and then just pig out on Carb Nite?

Btw, can you think of any common mistakes people make on this diet? Starting tomorrow and I want to be sure I'm doing it right. I was just reading the Carb Back Loading manual but apparently it's not that critical with the details on CN?

From what I've read Carb Nite is FAR easier to do and requires far less micromanaging. I was linked to a video yesterday detailing the differences in here - just make sure you do 2 things.

1: workout the day of your carb nite
2: only do it from evening to bed, it is NOT an entire day-long binge.

despire

From what I've read Carb Nite is FAR easier to do and requires far less micromanaging. I was linked to a video yesterday detailing the differences in here - just make sure you do 2 things.

1: workout the day of your carb nite
2: only do it from evening to bed, it is NOT an entire day-long binge.

Apparently not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDmKbd1D4Gk

In short, on Carb Nite you DON'T have to train but it can be helpful. With Carb Back Loading you have to train before back loading.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDmKbd1D4Gk

In short, on Carb Nite you DON'T have to train but it can be helpful. With Carb Back Loading you have to train before back loading.

Good video, thanks for adding this in - this is my first Carb Nite and I'm ready as hell for it, but good to hear this because I was moving my schedule around a bit. I'm still going to do it, but it's good to know the body isn't too strict.

Yeah the whole carb nite on workout days seems like a "for best results" sort of thing based on what I've gathered from various sources.

despire

Yeah of course the best thing to do is have it after your workout but it's good to know it's not really that critical with CN :)

Cudder

1. Got sidetracked on my cut for like the last 2 weeks or so. Started at 215, got down to 207, now I'm up to 210. I'll try really hard for the month of May to get down to around 200 or so.

2. Stop all of this Quest Bar talk. I can't take it anymore. I went to 2 GNC's/other supp stores in my area and fucking NONE of them have any. I did try out some Clif Builder bars though, which are pretty damn good in their own right.

3. Saw Pain and Gain last night, thought it was alright. Some of the comedy falls flat, I'm not too sure Bay can totally do dark comedies like this successfully, but it had its moments. Any of you see it?

That's pretty amazing. So you are not watching any calories at all? Protein and fat high and then just pig out on Carb Nite? Do you have any idea how much you might be eating calorie wise on off days? And how much you weigh if I may ask?

Anyway, appreciate your answers :)
I don't watch any caloric intake. CN isn't really about counting calories, just counting carbs. I've counted how much I usually eat and it's around 2200 calories. That's non carb nites whether it's a workout day or not, I don't lower my calories for off days. I just tend to eat the same things and cycle in similar substitutes since I'm a lazy cook and do the bulk of my cooking once a week.

On carb nites I used to try to stay under 5000 calories and I stopped caring and the last time I counted it was around 9000 calories on a pretty tame carb nite.

I weight 194 and I'm 6 ft tall.

I think too many people focus on water weight they might get in the next day or on the scale. This program was designed to retain strength and muscle while losing fat. So definitely use the mirror, calipers, etc. Not the scale.

And yeah, CN is a lot more flexible than CBL. Like for example, it's best to have your carb nite on a workout day in order to help your absorption and uptake. I don't. I do it on Saturday which is an off day for me. It hasn't held me back any. Just eat low carb (under 30 grams) for 6 days a week. On your carb nite eat low carb until mid afternoon (I wait until 3pm) and then give yourself the next 8 hours to be a fatty. The next day go straight back to low carb.

I would also suggest fasting for the few hours of the day. I fast for about 5 - 6 hours everyday. Keifer suggests that everyone who is looking to keep bf low should fast in the mornings. I drink a cup of coffee with coconut milk and oil as soon as I get to work and fast for the next 5 hours or so.

Yes.

1) You still need a caloric defecit so don't eat a bazillion pounds of beef or drink a pint of heavy whipping cream just because it's keto food.

2) Do not go nuts with junk food on your carb night and don't try to cram in a bazillion grams of useless suagr. Have a normal dinner with some rice, beans, potatoes, or whatever, some yogurt or cottage cheese a bit later and ONE treat/desert.

EDIT:

I don't watch any caloric intake. CN isn't really about counting calories, just counting carbs. I've counted how much I usually eat and it's around 2200 calories. That's non carb nites whether it's a workout day or not, I don't lower my calories for off days. I just tend to eat the same things and cycle in similar substitutes since I'm a lazy cook and do the bulk of my cooking once a week.

poindexter - Seems you and I have had almost opposite results! I stopped counting calories for two months, went hog wild on carb nights and basically ended up spinning my wheels the whole time. I lost very little weight or inches (although I found my pants fit a ittle better), strength stagnated. So yeah I wasn't exactly satisfied although I'm willing to give it another shot next month. I've been off the diet taking a break for about a week, I still eat the same way thoughtout the day (morning coffee w/MCT oil, ULC diet) until dinner where I just eat whatever my wife cooks.

What were you doing for workouts? Shockwave or something else?

The Chef

Salmon and eggs used to excite me every morning. Now...

the-matrix-food.jpg

Yes.

1) You still need a caloric defecit so don't eat a bazillion pounds of beef or drink a pint of heavy whipping cream just because it's keto food.

2) Do not go nuts with junk food on your carb night and don't try to cram in a bazillion grams of useless suagr. Have a normal dinner with some rice, beans, potatoes, or whatever, some yogurt or cottage cheese a bit later and ONE treat/desert.

EDIT:

poindexter - Seems you and I have had almost opposite results! I stopped counting calories for two months, went hog wild on carb nights and basically ended up spinning my wheels the whole time. I lost very little weight or inches (although I found my pants fit a ittle better), strength stagnated. So yeah I wasn't exactly satisfied although I'm willing to give it another shot next month. I've been off the diet taking a break for about a week, I still eat the same way thoughtout the day (morning coffee w/MCT oil, ULC diet) until dinner where I just eat whatever my wife cooks.

What were you doing for workouts? Shockwave or something else?
That sucks. I guess it's definitely a YMMV thing. I do 5/3/1 programming for my workout. So 4 days a week of weights. 30 minutes of cardio a week since I absolutely hate cardio, but I figured I'll do something on my day off from weights.

I eat absolute junk on carb nite. 2400 calories of reeses peanut butter cups every saturday without fail. Usually a big bag of chips of some kind too which often comes out to around 2000 calories. I was spinning my wheels when I strictly counted calories and took it easy on carb nite.

Pre-Work out meal/ Meal plan per day

I'm having conflicting responses on this, I eat light on breakfast and lunch then work out. After work out I eat alot.

Then I was told by somebody, to eat a lot before a work out. So u burn those protein for muscle gain

SeanR1221

I'm having conflicting responses on this, I eat light on breakfast and lunch then work out. After work out I eat alot.

Then I was told by somebody, to eat a lot before a work out. So u burn those protein for muscle gain

Alien and cooter both train fasted and they're both huge.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

I don't think a pre workout means much to be honest. It may just be my body but I've seen my best gains in years training fasted and eating all my calories post workout. Keep in mind I didn't see these gains with a crazy amount of daily calories. I was averaging around 3,000 a day before I started cutting.

velociraptor

Two questions:

1. Are body weight exercises effective in building muscle?
2. Can I get some good recommendations?
Bodyweight exercises are a good tool but I doubt you'll gain serious muscle with them. I think you should add them as a 'supplement' to a weightlifting routine, such as one described in the OP.

kikanny

What's the best place to buy these quest bars in Canada? Its expensive everywhere. GNC website seems the cheapest lol. Comes to about 2.30 per bar with shipping and stuff...

I don't think a pre workout means much to be honest. It may just be my body but I've seen my best gains in years training fasted and eating all my calories post workout. Keep in mind I didn't see these gains with a crazy amount of daily calories. I was averaging around 3,000 a day before I started cutting.

I'll stick with my routine then. Eat a lot post work out see how it goes

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Guessing he's saying there are much more effective ways. Except for biceps my entire workouts are using body weight. Sure I can get quicker results at the gym but at 42 I hope to never see a gym again.

I agree. At least a big commercial gym. I coach basketball so I wouldn't mind using the gym at the school when no one else is around. Platforms and cages! But I'm really out of shape right now and have everything I need to train to my current abilities in my basement. Have a new recumbent bike on its way and some more dumbbells. But at 38 I'm fine with not spending a lot of time in the "gym".

Would like to someday have a shed/garage in my backyard that is a gym. Cage, benches, space for plyo work. Take my personal training to a home based business.
Also building a half pipe in my backyard for my kids. Nothing with any vert, oldest boy is turning 7 this year. But my kids will love it!

Bodyweight exercises are a good tool but I doubt you'll gain serious muscle with them. I think you should add them as a 'supplement' to a weightlifting routine, such as one described in the OP.

Yeah, I'm currently gymless and will be for the near future. So this winter I tried a bit of a bulk up routine with upping the eating and bodyweight work. I actually did have some gains from this (plus I was starting from a pretty skinny starting point) but not as much as I'd hoped.

Since gym is still out of the picture I'm doing what I can currently to tweak the routines with more difficult exercises so I can get higher intensity / less reps. Might have to look into something like sandbags as well. Not really optimal, but it is what it is.

Cudder

What's the best place to buy these quest bars in Canada? Its expensive everywhere. GNC website seems the cheapest lol. Comes to about 2.30 per bar with shipping and stuff...

They don't sell Quest bars on the Canadian GNC site. I think Bodybuilding.com is still the cheapest. Nutrition House also carries them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom