• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanR1221

Dumbell OHP is a nice compliment to barbell OHP.

Dumbbell squat is no real substitute but can definitely help with form practice and flexibility.

Szu

On a side note, my wife wanted to try the Zumba class that's offered at my gym. She asked me to join her.

So, I did my first Zumba class. I actually did pretty well. I lasted the entire hour with no soreness in any of my major joints. My lower back was a bit achy, but it was like that before the class. I didn't knock out anyone with my flailing arms.

The best part was that my wife and I were staring at all the ladies in front of us to learn the moves, because we're new and we need to learn the moves.

Or at least that's what I tell her.

Petrie

Banned
Schattenjäger;56600364 said:
I won't even comment about form and stuff since I am hardly the expert .
Crossfit is more of a social thing than a fitness thing.. Owner is a smart businessman

Yup. it's a pyramid scheme at the end of the day though.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Dumbell OHP is a nice compliment to barbell OHP.

Dumbbell squat is no real substitute but can definitely help with form practice and flexibility.

Good to hear. Still, I can build SOME strength and mobility with dumbbell squats. I'm able to hold them back pretty solidly. Dumbbell OHP lit me up though, good stuff.

I just gotta make do until this weekend when I get to scout some gyms. 2 months for $1 is a dream -if- they have a squat rack.

theytookourjobz

Unsafe inefficient atmosphere and programming for starters.

The GIFs are just a bonus.

I'm not trying to convince anyone it's right for them but I work out at a CF gym and it's frustrating hearing constant shit talk about poor form and unsafe environments when the people at my gym have better form that 99.9% of the folks I saw when I used to lift at a traditional gym. Those people in the videos are dumb. Not everyone that does CF is.

CrankyJay

Banned
Good to hear. Still, I can build SOME strength and mobility with dumbbell squats. I'm able to hold them back pretty solidly. Dumbbell OHP lit me up though, good stuff.

I just gotta make do until this weekend when I get to scout some gyms. 2 months for $1 is a dream -if- they have a squat rack.

I pay $7.50/mo for a 1 squat rack gym. Cheap and close to my house.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not trying to convince anyone it's right for them but I work out at a CF gym and it's frustrating hearing constant shit talk about poor form and unsafe environments when the people at my gym have better form that 99.9% of the folks I saw when I used to lift at a traditional gym. Those people in the videos are dumb. Not everyone that does CF is.

I think we actually have a CrossFit thread.

Ah here it is:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428585

...last post in 2011. Shit.

grumble

On a side note, my wife wanted to try the Zumba class that's offered at my gym. She asked me to join her.

So, I did my first Zumba class. I actually did pretty well. I lasted the entire hour with no soreness in any of my major joints. My lower back was a bit achy, but it was like that before the class. I didn't knock out anyone with my flailing arms.

The best part was that my wife and I were staring at all the ladies in front of us to learn the moves, because we're new and we need to learn the moves.

Or at least that's what I tell her.

Yeah, some of those classes are kind of hard. I remember doing one once with a light barbell (it was a barbell complex thing, but not very heavy) and by the end of it I was wiped.

CrankyJay

Banned
You either don't know what a pyramid scheme is or you don't understand the CF business model.

Scheme would also denote the people buying the product aren't really getting anything in return, but I've seen some ripped folks emerge from cross fit. I think it's more expensive than it needs to be, though.

MjFrancis

Well, it's that + implants.
She has a post on her old blog called "Childhood and Beauty." I don't think she has implants, she was just well-endowed and rolled with it. Reading her post it's pretty endearing that she remained humble after previously going through a lot of body image issues. So... strong, active lifestyle, kind, the whole nine yards, fellas. Add it all up and I'm positive she's taken at this point.

http://allisonnyc.blogspot.mx/2008/12/childhood-and-beauty.html

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Dude, no it isn't. Jesus. You pay CF a fee to use their name and then you run your gym however the fuck you want.

How could anyone get something consistent with this kind of setup? There's no standards at all?

That's anytime fitness right? Damnnnn. What's the fee for a month after that?

Here in aus anytime is like 15 bucks a week.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That's anytime fitness right? Damnnnn. What's the fee for a month after that?

Here in aus anytime is like 15 bucks a week.

I think after it is $10 a month. They have a promo going May 5-7th for $1 + free month, so... doesn't include tanning, but if I keep feeling better with myself I'll be spending plenty of time poolside so it ain't no thing.

I'm gonna start a trans-fit gym and make mad loot.

Trans-fit...inclusive to trans people. Hmmm...good plan.

That's the problem. It sucks but people just have to be smart and seek out the good gyms run by good trainers. Not a great system for people who have no clue, I agree.

That's probably why many people get the whole "what the FUCK are they...what?" pretty often. The bad ones get noticed FAR more than good ones and get paraded around the internet.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
I've scoped out about 5 crossfit in the area and they all cost about $200 a month

I'm just curious about where all that money goes..
Equinox isn't even that high and it is considered high end
Heck at my gym you could pay your membership + 5 personal training sessions for about $200

Question - is there towel service and showers at crossfit gyms?

Most concerning is NYSC is using valuable gym space to roll out their own little Crossfit clone

CrankyJay

Banned
Schattenjäger;56603048 said:
I've scoped out about 5 crossfit in the area and they all cost about $200 a month

I'm just curious about where all that money goes..
Equinox isn't even that high and it is considered high end
Heck at my gym you could pay your membership + 5 personal training sessions for about $200

Question - is there towel service and showers at crossfit gyms?

Most concerning is NYSC is using valuable gym space to roll out their own little Crossfit clone

For $200 a month there better be fluffers in the locker room.

theytookourjobz

Most CF gyms have far fewer members than big gyms and even with lowish overhead costs they have to charge more to stay afloat. Many people that run CF gyms aren't in it for the money (because there really isn't much) and are actually invested in seeing progress for their clients. So, it all depends on your goals but I don think it's "worth it" for everyone but for me and plenty of others, it is.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Schattenjäger;56603048 said:

$200 a month?! And they train entire groups at once?

92NBB.gif

blackflag

Even if form was good...I've never seen it, there's a crossfit gym literally out my back porch of my apartment, the programming makes no sense.

Sorry for helping derail the thread.

CrankyJay

Banned
Most CF gyms have far fewer members than big gyms and even with lowish overhead costs they have to charge more to stay afloat. Many people that run CF gyms aren't in it for the money (because there really isn't much) and are actually invested in seeing progress for their clients. So, it all depends on your goals but I don think it's "worth it" for everyone but for me and plenty of others, it is.

That doesn't really make sense. Who starts a business with the hopes of just getting by?

theytookourjobz

$200 a month?! And they train entire groups at once?

92NBB.gif

Not everyone is paying $200 mind you but even if that were the average and you had 200 members that's 40k a month. Figure about 10k for rent and utilies, however much your loan payment is to pay off all the shit you bought to build out (pull-up rigs, bars, bumpers, kettle bells) and then divide the remainder (25kish) between 5 or 6 trainers and there's not much profit there. And I would say that 200 members all paying $200 a month is a pretty successful CF gym.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Not everyone is paying $200 mind you but even if that were the average and you had 200 members that's 40k a month. Figure about 10k for rent and utilies, however much your loan payment is to pay off all the shit you bought to build out (pull-up rigs, bars, bumpers, kettle bells) and then divide the remainder (25kish) between 5 or 6 trainers and there's not much profit there. And I would say that 200 members all paying $200 a month is a pretty successful CF gym.

I was about to say that the trainers sound overpaid, but that isn't exactly fair to say, so I'll just bow out. I think we're all dogpiling a little and should relax, but at the same time since it's just the Crossfit name that's licensed, we all understand how insanity happens out there.

I learned something about it today so that's good.

SeanR1221

When it comes down to it a crazy crossfit wod, curves circuit training and planet fitness cardio jamboree are all more active than a couch.

theytookourjobz

I've been involved with the CF community here in one way or another for about 3 years, so I'm pretty well versed in the bullshit and the good and the bad.

MjFrancis

Now imagine theytookourjobz scenario but most members actually pay between $90 and $120 per month, you only have 60-100 members at any given time, you are paying Glassman $3000 a year to use the name "Crossfit," and you are paying exponentially for equipment over time because more members require more equipment and the equipment you have is beat the fuck up and needs replacement too.

That's how a Crossfit affiliate works.

You really only get into it if you're passionate about it. It isn't a good money maker.

Now, running a chain that automatically takes money from people's bank accounts under multiyear contracts and knowing that less than 10% of the people you sign up will ever attend with any consistency... that's how you make money with a gym. And that's why it's so damn cheap - you're being subsidized by a large percentage of people who rarely if ever show up.

heytred

Neo Member
Could you guys do me a huge favor and check out my squat form?

I'm recently returning to lifting from some lower back issues (L5 & S1 disc subluxation) and sciatica I received doing some training in the Army. I'm getting back into the swing of things and was wondering if someone could/would give me a critique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcEO3Ockkoo

I'm recently returning to lifting from some lower back issues (L5 & S1 disc subluxation) and sciatica I received doing some training in the Army. I'm getting back into the swing of things and was wondering if someone could/would give me a critique.

Looks good. Nice job getting back to it after that kind of injury. You do a good job keeping your core tight going low bar.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor

I want to see what our squat critique experts think (I have really impressed with the quality of squat mechanics in this thread), but to me it looks really good.
I don't see a shift in balance as you begin the upward motion of the move. Your hips don't float forward or back (you cant see side to side motion from this angle but evidence of errors like that would show in lower leg muscle action). And the bar looks to travel pretty near perfectly in a vertical path.
Good job.

Now lose the running shoes and get even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom