• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjb

Banned
I can't see exactly because I'm on my phone, but make sure your knees aren't going past your toes and you're not locking them out coming back up. Kinda looks like they might be (?). Otherwise looks okay.

Also definitely lose the shoes, as they look to be running/soft sole variety. If you don't have lifting-specific shoes just take them off and go barefoot - preferably with socks on.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Crossfit question from the videos in that thread.
Do any of you guys use a mixed grip when doing cleans? I know that Crossfit video is a blooper video I just find it odd that SO many people are using a mixed grip.
Someone has to be teaching that.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I can't see exactly because I'm on my phone, but make sure your knees aren't going past your toes and you're not locking them out coming back up. Kinda looks like they might be (?). Otherwise looks okay.

Also definitely lose the shoes, as they look to be running/soft sole variety. If you don't have lifting-specific shoes just take them off and go barefoot - preferably with socks on.

I have always been all about keeping my knees from going over my toes, but the pics in the OP show that being ok and I have read other people saying its fine.
What's the verdict?

I'm a basketball player (ex player *sob*) and I train basketball players quite regularly. I don't let my athletes' knees goes over their toes due to strain on the patella tendon and how common "jumpers knee" is for ball players. The less strain on the knees the better in my opinion.

theytookourjobz

Do any of you guys use a mixed grip when doing cleans? I know that Crossfit video is a blooper video I just find it odd that SO many people are using a mixed grip.

No. That was a continental clean with a fat bar. It's a strongman thing.

theytookourjobz

I have always been all about keeping my knees from going over my toes, but the pics in the OP show that being ok and I have read other people saying its fine.
What's the verdict?

I'm a basketball player (ex player *sob*) and I train basketball players quite regularly. I don't let my athletes' knees goes over their toes due to strain on the patella tendon and how common "jumpers knee" is for ball players. The less strain on the knees the better in my opinion.

As long as your knees aren't caving in, they are fine going out over your toes a bit. Just make sure you stay in your heels.

ToxicAdam

Just a guess, but they probably get comfortable with that grip by doing a lot of deadlifts first.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
No. That was a continental clean with a fat bar. It's a strongman thing.

So that lift is taught with a mixed grip? I see other Crossfit videos and of course the competitions on tv and have never seen anyone use a mixed grip on their lifts like that.

Just a guess, but they probably get comfortable with that grip by doing a lot of deadlifts first.

I'm fine with that. But I learned to not use a mixed grip on cleans and clean/jerk just from looking at pics in magazines and books (and from common sense). But these people appear to be getting "lessons" during their Crossfit initiation. One of the reasons they are struggling is because you can get your elbow above your shoulder with a pronated grip. It's just ridiculous.

As long as your knees aren't caving in, they are fine going out over your toes a bit. Just make sure you stay in your heels.

So your stand is as long as the weight isn't transferring or pushing forward knee over toe isn't an issue at all? Or not as big of an issue?

despire

I don't think I've ever posted a picture of myself in here except for one back picture months ago. So here we go:

cAb7Dx.jpg

brfwBU.jpg

Still very much tiny with a spare tire on my waist. Probably the only part that is somewhat developed are my traps/quads. Triceps, delts and chest are lacking seriously in size. That's what you get from battling with your weight all the time. And I'm still seriously weak. Especially after I lost so much strength on my cut. Never again. I still need to lose fat but if I lose too much I'll just become really tiny. So few weeks of Carb Nite and then recomp/bulk with CBL.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Seems like every time I pop my head in here somebody (everybody) is shitting on CrossFit.
Maybe because there are more efficient, safer, cheaper, and quicker ways to get strong? Purely speculation on my part. I admit I'm new to this whole weight training thing. ;)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Your back is going to ascend to Norse level if you keep with it my brother.

theytookourjobz

So that lift is taught with a mixed grip? I see other Crossfit videos and of course the competitions on tv and have never seen anyone use a mixed grip on their lifts like that.

I'm fine with that. But I learned to not use a mixed grip on cleans and clean/jerk just from looking at pics in magazines and books (and from common sense). But these people appear to be getting "lessons" during their Crossfit initiation. One of the reasons they are struggling is because you can get your elbow above your shoulder with a pronated grip. It's just ridiculous.

So your stand is as long as the weight isn't transferring or pushing forward knee over toe isn't an issue at all? Or not as big of an issue?

Basically you have two different kinds of back squats: high bar (sometimes called Olympic style squatting) and low bar (sometimes called powerlifting). Olympic lifters use the high bar, which emphasizes an completely vertical torso and a squat as deep as possible to create a strong bottom position in the clean and snatch. You will see their backs super upright and their knees way forward of their toes to allow them to get their ass almost all the way to the ground. Powerlifters mostly use a low bar squat where they emphasize pushing their ass way back in the squat and keeping their shins as vertical as possible. This usually results in a forward inclination of the torso but the knees rarely go forward of the toes. This allows them to engage the much bigger hamstrings and glutes and ostensibly squat more this way. Which style you prefer or which is better for your goals is up for debate. If it's absolute strength, low bar would probably be better. If it's athletic performance, high bar might suit you better.

kylej

Banned
I hereby propose an official fitgaf law

1) For every one post about crossfit, 2 posts with crossfit girl pictures must be posted

thank you

bjb

Banned
What's the verdict?

Eh, this shit comes up all the time on bb.com Countless debates with people posting articles and anecdotal stories of knee injuries backed by broscience.

In terms of actual anatomical structure, there's science supporting the theory that when you overlap your toes it stresses the ACL. Henceforth why catchers in baseball typically stop catching into their 30's due to the stress on their knees. See position changes; Joe Mauer (who still catches occasionally).

Truthfully speaking - so long as he wasn't actually locking out - I doubt it's that big of deal.

Also, a lot depends on your stance. A wider stance helps achieve depth more easily, but for beginners it -can- be tough because they're limited by abductor and hamstring weakness. So like my friend for example, who's around his size - I recommended a narrower stance. Judging by the weight he was using in the video - I'm just assuming beginner status as much for him as well.

Regardless, going narrow (again depends on the individual & form) causes the knees to go past the toes. I've never seen an actual injury because of this, but it's been noted:

http://www.maloneyperformance.com/Blog/?p=313
physicaltherapist.com/articles/view/id/3

However, other studies contradict it:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9840764
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11528346

Simply put; in regards to form - I don't think it's that big of a concern, but consideration should at least be noted.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'm more sore than I've been in a long, long while. This is like newbie sore. Holy shit. Oh well, time to go deadlift.

Maybe because there are more efficient, safer, cheaper, and quicker ways to get strong? Purely speculation on my part. I admit I'm new to this whole weight training thing. ;)

Read the OP.

Darren870

My friend does crossfit, and I joined up with him for a few workouts to try and learn the routine. However, I really just wanted to learn the lifts. I only did it for 5 or so times but we got to the point where I could see it wasn't for me. Going way to fast for some of those lifts.

He wound up injuring himself a few weeks later and had to take 3 months off.

I checked out the gym he was apart of and it was £70 pounds a month, so about $130. I am a member/visit 3 gyms in London and I don't pay anywhere near that!

IDK, I know 3 guys that do it back home in NY and they are all shredded, but they are always getting injuries and having to take time off. Meanwhile, I keep trucking along.

Anyways...good workout for me today. Some DL and other lifts tomorrow and then I got to take the weekend off to go up north. Hopefully it doesn't ruin me to much.

bjb

Banned
My friend does crossfit, and I joined up with him for a few workouts to try and learn the routine. However, I really just wanted to learn the lifts. I only did it for 5 or so times but we got to the point where I could see it wasn't for me. Going way to fast for some of those lifts.

He wound up injuring himself a few weeks later and had to take 3 months off

Jesus these stories write themselves lol

You made the right choice. Keep up the good work.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
With all this crossfit bashing, I think some people need to take a moment, step back and re-evaluate where they are coming from.

Also, read this.

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/why-every-training-system-sucks-but-mine/

Now for my "take" on the whole thing.

There's nothing inherently wrong with crossfit, it's just different than what you want to do. The issue comes from misinformed people and bad trainers. That is a problem in EVERY gym. As for the price, I don't see people bashing expensive cars or other expensive shit that serves the same purpose as its economy priced brethren. If people are willing to pay that price for that service, then let them. It's THEIR choice. If you can't afford it, well it's like anything else you can't afford.

How many of us are completely "self taught?" By that I mean no trainer or person physically showed us in person how to lift, what to lift, or any of that stuff? Many of us (myself included) simply devour online literature, videos and knowledge from places like this and improve ourselves. In that vein the people who are hurting themselves in crossfit (and in every gym usa) are as much to blame as anyone. This isn't a "crossfit" problem as much as we would like to think it is.

The problem with training is that it's as divisive as politics and religion. Everyone thinks their own way is the best way, and that's never true. People have their own goals and Crossfit fits that bill for certain people in many ways more than simply lifting.

I suggest people put less effort into bashing training schemes, brands, gyms, and more time into making themselves better. Because running your mouth/fingers doesn't prove shit. If you want to prove your way is better, less jibber jabber, more effort/results. Because all you look like is a keyboard warrior making fun of something that isn't "your way."

MjFrancis

I suggest people put less effort into bashing training schemes, brands, gyms, and more time into making themselves better. Because running your mouth/fingers doesn't prove shit. If you want to prove your way is better, less jibber jabber, more effort/results. Because all you look like is a keyboard warrior making fun of something that isn't "your way."
I usually don't do this, but -

impressed.gif

SeanR1221

With all this crossfit bashing, I think some people need to take a moment, step back and re-evaluate where they are coming from.

Also, read this.

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/why-every-training-system-sucks-but-mine/

There's nothing inherently wrong with crossfit, it's just different than what you want to do. The issue comes from misinformed people and bad trainers. That is a problem in EVERY gym. As for the price, I don't see people bashing expensive cars or other expensive shit that serves the same purpose as its economy priced brethren. If people are willing to pay that price for that service, then let them. It's THEIR choice. If you can't afford it, well it's like anything else you can't afford.

How many of us are completely "self taught?" By that I mean no trainer or person physically showed us in person how to lift, what to lift, or any of that stuff? Many of us (myself included) simply devour online literature, videos and knowledge from places like this and improve ourselves. In that vein the people who are hurting themselves in crossfit (and in every gym usa) are as much to blame as anyone. This isn't a "crossfit" problem as much as we would like to think it is.

The problem with training is that it's as divisive as politics and religion. Everyone thinks their own way is the best way, and that's never true. People have their own goals and Crossfit fits that bill for certain people in many ways more than simply lifting.

Perfect post.

Also, read this.

Great post Alien.

Screw Crossfit :p

CrankyJay

Banned

Also, read this.

I haven't earned jack shit, I know that much. I'm incredibly humbled whenever we get a down to earth post like this.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hey Szu if you're around - what's your current workout plan and days? I found myself green with envy this morning and well this sounds weird but I need to work hard to get on your level. Was curious what all you do. You may have posted it before but I missed it.

When I judge something, I'll normally look at the elite athletes to make a judgement. Why would I judge gymnastics, powerlifting, oly lifting etc. based on people who have no strength, or form? There are plenty of videos of these people messing up.

No one seems to give credit to those who excel in crossfit. Those who reach the top are impressive to me, and do not exhibit terrible technique and will not have terrible knowledge of programming.

And so what if they got there by not following the crossfit WOD? It does not stop other people from getting there by following other methods as well.

And no, I have never done crossfit and have no intention of joining a crossfit. I just won't disparage something based upon those who get it wrong.

abuC

Found Jay Cutler's routine and I'll give it a try next week, I've done PHAT and GVT so the volume shouldn't be a problem. His routine wasn't as much as I expected.

Szu

Hey Szu if you're around - what's your current workout plan and days? I found myself green with envy this morning and well this sounds weird but I need to work hard to get on your level. Was curious what all you do. You may have posted it before but I missed it.

OK, I've changes a few things around because my wife works out with me.

I workout out 5-6 days out of the week, but I only do a 4-day weight training split.

Monday - Back & Abs
Light Cardio (I do this before ever workout) - Anything for about 5 mins with my heartrate at 120-130 bpm
100+ Pull Ups - Mostly sets of 8-10
BB back rows - 4x15 @135
Close-grip cable rows - 4x15 @130
Single arm DB rows - 4x15 @60
Straight Arm Lat Pulldown - 4x15 @60
Hyperextensions - 4x15 with 35 plate
Dragon Flags, Raise Leg Chin-ups, Standing Ab Wheels, Hanging Leg Wipers, etc.

Tuesday - Chest & Biceps
Flat DB - 4x15 @ 70
Standing DB curl - 4x15 @30
Incline DB - 4x15 @70~60
Seated DB curls - 4x15 @25
Decline DB - 4x15 @60
Hammer curls - 4x15 @25
Incline flys - 4x15 @35
Hammer preacher curl - 4x15 @25
Low cable chest flys - 4x15 @40
Chest Dips - 4x15 w/25 DB

Wednesday - Cardio or possibly Zumba night now if my wife has her way.

Thursday - Legs & Abs
Straight Leg deadlifts - 4x12 @165
Back squats - 4x10,8,6,6 @135,185,225,225
Power squat press machine - 4x12 @180
Leg extensions - 4x12 @170
Hamstring curls - 4x12 @80
Seated calves raises - 4x15 @135
Dragon Flags, Raise Leg Chin-ups, Standing Ab Wheels, Hanging Leg Wipers, etc.

Friday - Shoulders & Triceps
Standing OHP - 4x12,8,6,6, @95,115,135,145
Alternating DB shoulder press - 4x15 @30
DB Tricep extension - 4x15 @60
Side lateral raises - 4x15 @20
Single arm DB tricep extension - 4x15 @20
Front lateral raises - 4x15 @20
Double arm DB kickbacks - 4x15 @20
Rear lateral raises - 4x15 @20
Cable extensions - 4x15@50

Saturday - Cardio

Sunday - Rest or Yoga

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
You make good points Shogun but I refuse to not pass negative judgment on a program that promotes doing compound exercises for time. Yes, getting out and exercising is better than sitting on your couch but not if that exercise carries a high likelihood of injury.

And no way you're getting as strong as you are now doing crossfit! Not happening. It's ok to admit certain ways to train are better than others.

EDIT: Shit Szu, you pair the same muscles as I do. I knew there was a reason I liked you! ;)

Is it right if your on keto you have a dry mouth im drinking like 2~3 liters water with like 2.1 liter of green tea each day still a dry mouth and yellow piss?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Is it right if your on keto you have a dry mouth im drinking like 2~3 liters water with like 2.1 liter of green tea each day still a dry mouth and yellow piss?

Yep, I'm always in need of water.

OK, I've changes a few things around because my wife works out with me.

I workout out 5-6 days out of the week, but I only do a 4-day weight training split.

Thanks for the writeup. I'm looking at these as kind of a long-term goal I'll work myself towards. You have been really inspirational for me, just your own story and how you've come to be what you are. Real talk.

How many years have you been lifting? 2+?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Good to know its a side effect.

From what I understand (and note: I could be completely wrong) - your kidneys have far less water on hand to process because keto takes out the glucose, which needs far more. So you have a lot less to stockpile and need to keep your low water circulating.

THATS BROSCIENCE.

agrajag

Banned
When I judge something, I'll normally look at the elite athletes to make a judgement. Why would I judge gymnastics, powerlifting, oly lifting etc. based on people who have no strength, or form? There are plenty of videos of these people messing up.

No one seems to give credit to those who excel in crossfit. Those who reach the top are impressive to me, and do not exhibit terrible technique and will not have terrible knowledge of programming.

And so what if they got there by not following the crossfit WOD? It does not stop other people from getting there by following other methods as well.

And no, I have never done crossfit and have no intention of joining a crossfit. I just won't disparage something based upon those who get it wrong.

pretty sure most of the top crossfiters come from other athletic backgrounds before they started crossfitting.

grumble

You make good points Shogun but I refuse to not pass negative judgment on a program that promotes doing compound exercises for time. Yes, getting out and exercising is better than sitting on your couch but not if that exercise carries a high likelihood of injury.

And no way you're getting as strong as you are now doing crossfit! Not happening. It's ok to admit certain ways to train are better than others.

EDIT: Shit Szu, you pair the same muscles as I do. I knew there was a reason I liked you! ;)

Totally agree, though Crossfitters are interested in more than just strength. They want the muscular endurance, conditioning, cardio etc and that takes up a ton of their gym time.

From what I understand (and note: I could be completely wrong) - your kidneys have far less water on hand to process because keto takes out the glucose, which needs far more. So you have a lot less to stockpile and need to keep your low water circulating.

THATS BROSCIENCE.

I take magnesium and potassium in addition to my multi to cover all broscience possibilities.

Crossfit is not trying to get you as strong as possible though...

It's goal is to get you extreme anaerobic fitness and a high level of proficiency at bodyweight exercises and weighted barbell exercises.

It is for those who want to be a good all-rounder in many disciplines, but not reach excellency in one discipline.

Those who are intelligent enough will not be getting injured that much.

abuC

Szu, have you ever needed to kick someone in the face, and if you did was their head still attached to their body after?

grumble

Crossfit is not trying to get you as strong as possible though...

It's goal is to get you extreme anaerobic fitness and a high level of proficiency at bodyweight exercises and weighted barbell exercises.

It is for those who want to be an good all-rounder in many disciplines, but not reach excellency in one discipline.

Those who are intelligent enough will not be getting injured that much.

Yeah, they sometimes describe themselves as being good at GPP (general physical preparedness). If someone can bench 300 but are in poor cardio shape, then they are not well rounded. Trick is, getting strong helps you with most other activity!

Yeah, they sometimes describe themselves as being good at GPP (general physical preparedness). If someone can bench 300 but are in poor cardio shape, then they are not well rounded. Trick is, getting strong helps you with most other activity!

This is true, which I why I think a lot of the top crossfit athletes work a lot on traditional strength programming in the offseason, and then work more on their fitness and WODs towards competition.

theytookourjobz

While "doing cf" my squat 200->300, deadlift 315->450, couldn't do a pull-up at all -> 18 dead hang, never done Olympic lifts before -> snatch 192, clean and jerk 242, 7 minute mile -> 5:22 mile. I'm not a super strong dude but I can definitively say I've gotten stronger doing cf.

The Chef

This this this.
I feel like there is never a case where Crossfit can ever be considered a good idea, regardless of trailers/gym.

While "doing cf" my squat 200->300, deadlift 315->450, couldn't do a pull-up at all -> 18 dead hang, never done Olympic lifts before -> snatch 192, clean and jerk 242, 7 minute mile -> 5:22 mile. I'm not a super strong dude but I can definitively say I've gotten stronger doing cf.

In 3 years?

Szu

Shit Szu, you pair the same muscles as I do. I knew there was a reason I liked you! ;)

Thanks, Cooter, except I do it at 1/3 the weight of your lifts. :p

Thanks for the writeup. I'm looking at these as kind of a long-term goal I'll work myself towards. You have been really inspirational for me, just your own story and how you've come to be what you are. Real talk.

How many years have you been lifting? 2+?

Thanks a lot, I'm glad to be of service.

As for the answer to how many years, your number was "close", but it's missing the digit "1".

I've been lifting for 12+ years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom