• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanR1221

What's butt wink?

squat-fig-121.jpg

MjFrancis

I dream of the day I get my own power rack, flat bench, barbell and plates so that I'm able to train at home.

But if there's one thing I'd miss from my gym is the preacher curls machine. God I love that fucking thing. I get the most fucking intense pump out of it.

It's the most satisfying feeling you can get at the gym. Blood is flowing through your muscles and your skin feels really tight, like someone vas blowing hot aihr on youh skihn.

It's like the feeling of...of...coming.
The machine I miss most from a commercial gym is the leg press. While the Order of the Free Weights is probably happy that I'm squatting more, I miss the quad pump I'd get with sets of 20 reps on that sled.

agrajag

Banned
The machine I miss most from a commercial gym is the leg press. While the Order of the Free Weights is probably happy that I'm squatting more, I miss the quad pump I'd get with sets of 20 reps on that sled.

YES! I like to superset calf raises on the leg press machine with leg presses after my legs are already destroyed from squats.

blackflag

Dude, I squat but I love that leg press. Shit makes my legs blow up.

balddemon

Banned
I´ve been meaning to ask...

of all exercises, moves, etc, you guys do in your workouts, which one would be the most satisfying and which one the least satisfying (not related to bad form, but to the nature of the exercise)?

In my case

Most satisfying: high bar Squat, easily. To feel all that weight on my back/traps before going down, makes me feel very powerful, no other move gives me that feeling and going back up feels like a triumph

Least satisfying: Leg Extensions machine... man, I am screaming like a little girl inside of my head, during and after that exercise, it burns so bad -_-

my favorite is deadlifts at the moment now. squats are difficult, but deadlifts are a way more natural movement. I am considering dropping squats until my quad gets back to normal and my ankle is healed completely. or maybe doing them once a week. the leg extensions feel great to me though haha.

least satisfying...probably squats at the moment. they just are bad.

abuC

They'll call it the "abuC".

WOD:

Deadlifts 225lb 300 reps
Fran: 5 minutes
abuC: 135lb 5 minutes

That's what I'm talking about

"Alright guyyyyysss give it everything you got, 5 minutes of abuCs!!!" - Some clown with headband and mic as people rupture their spleens

Completely unrelated, I just had 4 slices of pizza and still managed to be under 2300 calories for the day thanks to them being pizza hut style.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I shop at fuckin Costco. Oneill shirts and cargo shorts forever. Lol maybe I need to upgrade.

Don't give up on those cargo shorts man. You can be a confident man without having your quads visible.
My legs have been too muscular for normal shorts for close to 20 years now. If it wasn't for cargo shorts I would have to carry a "murse" or a satchel like Indiana Jones just for my wallet.
:)

WorldStar

Banned
My legs have been too muscular for normal shorts for close to 20 years now.

I'm jelly, you must be huge brah. Arnold pulled of wearing regular ol' shots, polos and sperrys when he was still swole as fuck.

1.jpg

arnold-schwarzenegger-and-sylvester-stallone22.jpg

I tend to wear similar style shorts (along with polos and sperrys). Wish I could look half as good as he did though.

blackflag

Don't give up on those cargo shorts man. You can be a confident man without having your quads visible.
My legs have been too muscular for normal shorts for close to 20 years now. If it wasn't for cargo shorts I would have to carry a "murse" or a satchel like Indiana Jones just for my wallet.
:)

Ha yeah it's just that mostly I'd get looked at funny if I wore a polo and short shorts. I'm 38 and been dressing like a skater/surfer my whole life. Wouldn't mind some attention on my quads from the ladies though. My ex seems to like them.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I'm jelly, you must be huge brah. Arnold pulled of wearing regular ol' shots, polos and sperrys when he was still swole as fuck.

1.jpg

arnold-schwarzenegger-and-sylvester-stallone22.jpg

I tend to wear similar style shorts (along with polos and sperrys). Wish I could look half as good as he did though.

I'm a different kind of huge right now. But at what I would call my "peak" I had 28-30" quads (and wore 32-34" waist jeans).
I've always had bigger legs. When I was in high school the jeans that were cool were Levi 501's which fit me horribly. I had a 30" waist and had to buy 34" jeans just so I could get my legs into them. And they were uncomfortably tight in rear. It wasn't until the gangsta style of clothes started gaining popularity that I could find jeans that fit.

Big ass and big legs. It wasn't until my late teens when I started lifting weights and balancing my body out a bit that I started feeling confident about my lower body. I used to get mocked by other guys in school cause my jeans were so tight on my ass. Haha. Then years later they were asking me how I developed my legs.
Brag moment: many times I have had some massive bodybuilder come up to me and ask what I do for my legs and especially my calves. I did concentrate on them for sure but I have my grandpa to thank as well.
I also had a pro basketball player tell me to always flex my calves when I walked. Always push with your toes to fully flex your calves. He said chicks love it. Haha.

But I have never liked shorter shorts. I am a basketball guy. My shorts come to my knees or lower. It's my style and I'm cool with it. I could never rock shorts like Arnold.

Ha yeah it's just that mostly I'd get looked at funny if I wore a polo and short shorts. I'm 38 and been dressing like a skater/surfer my whole life. Wouldn't mind some attention on my quads from the ladies though. My ex seems to like them.

Same age man. Skate and Baller style all the way!

WorldStar

Banned
I'm a different kind of huge right now. But at what I would call my "peak" I had 28-30" quads (and wore 32-34" waist jeans).
I've always had bigger legs. When I was in high school the jeans that were cool were Levi 501's which fit me horribly. I had a 30" waist and had to buy 34" jeans just so I could get my legs into them. And they were uncomfortably tight in rear. It wasn't until the gangsta style of clothes started gaining popularity that I could find jeans that fit.

Big ass and big legs. It wasn't until my late teens when I started lifting weights and balancing my body out a bit that I started feeling confident about my lower body. I used to get mocked by other guys in school cause my jeans were so tight on my ass. Haha. Then years later they were asking me how I developed my legs.
Brag moment: many times I have had some massive bodybuilder come up to me and ask what I do for my legs and especially my calves. I did concentrate on them for sure but I have my grandpa to thank as well.
I also had a pro basketball player tell me to always flex my calves when I walked. Always push with your toes to fully flex your calves. He said chicks love it. Haha.

But I have never liked shorter shorts. I am a basketball guy. My shorts come to my knees or lower. It's my style and I'm cool with it. I could never rock shorts like Arnold.

gdamn man mirin quad stats

and yeah I <3 basketball shorts. they are comfortable as fuck. but if you wanna make chicks happy, try some shorter shorts that show off dem legs ;)

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
gdamn man mirin quad stats

and yeah I <3 basketball shorts. they are comfortable as fuck. but if you wanna make chicks happy, try some shorter shorts that show off dem legs ;)

Never had an issue with girls mirin the wheels haha. Married 15 years this summer and she is still a fan.

Had a Stacie's mom moment when I was 20ish. Was dating a girl and she wanted me to flex my calves and show her, I abliged, then she wanted her sister to see and then they got mom. Yes mom was rubbing my calves telling me how crazy they were. Haha.

Noema

I'll never be able to wear short shorts. Relative to my torso size I have monstrously long femurs that will always be super skinny no matter how much weight I gain.

Plus I'm 34 and bald, so I'd look ridiculous no matter what.

Mayyhem

I've been intermittent fasting for so long now and I've seen great results with it in terms of getting my fat % lower and maintaining it but its getting old and I'm afraid if I transition back into eating whenever I'm gonna get fat or idk just be negatively effected in some way

what have i done :(

WorldStar

Banned
I've been intermittent fasting for so long now and I've seen great results with it in terms of getting my fat % lower and maintaining it but its getting old and I'm afraid if I transition back into eating whenever I'm gonna get fat or idk just be negatively effected in some way

what have i done :(

y u fastin' brah?

u making sure you are satisfying your macro requirements?

there is a middle ground between fasting and "eating whenever"

Online food trackers are pretty awesome for that. I'd probably use a smart phone if I had a phone that was smart, since they seem to have an app. for everything nowadays.

When I used to monitor my food intake, I used fitday.com

Mayyhem

y u fastin' brah?

u making sure you are satisfying your macro requirements?

there is a middle ground between fasting and "eating whenever"

Online calorie counters are pretty awesome for that. I'd probably use a smart phone if I had a phone that was smart.

When I used to monitor my food intake, I used fitday.com

I've been able to hit my macros well enough to be able to gain a decent amount of muscle since I started fasting, but I got used to eating a quite a bit within by 6-8hour eating windows. It's a lot tougher to maintain in terms of hitting macros though, some days I feel like I'm under and threes no more time to eat and other days I feel like I overate (and went into a big surplus) just cause I was afraid I wouldn't get enough food in within the eating window.

That being said I believe it has helped with limiting going into bigger daily surpluses because of the time constraint. I'm afraid this is a bad time to ditch fasting for a bit (to see how my body reacts) because I want to cut some body fat in time for the summer.

gahh I'm probably overthinking this -_-

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Guise, need moar feedback!

First couple sets are warm-up.

Squat
http://youtu.be/Tr6hKSY8Aag

Only watched the squat vid. Looks pretty good. Since you're doing low bar, sit back a bit more/initiate more with the hips. This might help with your lower back rounding at the bottom. If you start to lean forwards on the way up as the weights increase, try looking more ahead; you can still keep your vision fixed at a certain point, just not one so close to your feet. Also, it might be worth it to try to narrow your grip on the bar.

Cookie dough checking in

photoiwaft.jpg

The hype is real, they are almost too good to be true. I will continue buying these until the inevitable study emerges that they are cancer inducing.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Someday I will try a quest bar just because of all the hype in here. It is ridiculous how much you guys all talk about these bars.

This thread is more quest bar talk and Crossfit bashing than it is about anything else.

PBY

Banned
^theyre that good

Anyways- question- how does drinking fit into carb nite? Does liquor work if it's carbless, ie vodka?

Yeah I don't get the quest bar obsession either. But hey, whatever works. I make my own protein bars usually , if I really need them anyway.

Anyway, my schedule is fuck all messed up today. It's almost 2am and I am just about to hit the gym.

Also, they pants/shorts discussion made me smile. It's nice some of you can relate to pains of having huge legs.

EDIT: Also stop posting videos/back/chest pictures. I'm demanding you guys post some freaking leg shots. I've done it.

abuC

Forgot to mention a funny scene at the gym today, some guy didn't unrack his weights on the hack squat machine. So some lady comes up and starts taking all the 45s off and just throwing them on the ground, literally dropping them from like 3 feet up. The guy who didn't unrack the weight was nearby watching, everyone is watching her as she's throwing weight after weight onto the unpadded ground. Once she was done he finally came back over and started picking the weights up off the ground (8 total) and re-racking them, all the while she was cursing at him in Portuguese, she was saying it nicely but the words were harsh and he was apologizing not knowing she was cursing him the hell out.

I was dying at the whole situation and him shamefully picking up the weights.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Forgot to mention a funny scene at the gym today, some guy didn't unrack his weights on the hack squat machine. So some lady comes up and starts taking all the 45s off and just throwing them on the ground, literally dropping them from like 3 feet up. The guy who didn't unrack the weight was nearby watching, everyone is watching her as she's throwing weight after weight onto the unpadded ground. Once she was done he finally came back over and started picking the weights up off the ground (8 total) and re-racking them, all the while she was cursing at him in Portuguese, she was saying it nicely but the words were harsh and he was apologizing not knowing she was cursing him the hell out.

So many awesome things happen at the gym.

Davidion

Do people at your gym unrack the machines? People at mine never seem to, particularly the leg machines.

I usually unrack down to a 45 on each side.

abuC

Do people at your gym unrack the machines? People at mine never seem to, particularly the leg machines.

I usually unrack down to a 45 on each side.

I'd say 75% of the time people do unrack, they have a strict policy, and there's this poor little guy that goes around and unracks then stacks the weights properly so you almost feel bad for not doing it.

sphinx

the piano man
EDIT: Also stop posting videos/back/chest pictures. I'm demanding you guys post some freaking leg shots. I've done it.

I've noticed, It's hard to get pics where you can clearly show the quads without showing private parts.. :p

And while I am definitely not the guy who should be posting leg images, if it helps get the leg party rolling, then be it :)

your turn everybody else.

legpic_zpsba333182.jpg

theytookourjobz

where do you lift?

I'd give my left nut for a room that size where I can lift while being foreveralone.jpeg

The cf gym I go to has a separate room with platforms and a few $1000 werksan and eleiko bars and a bunch of plates. It doesn't get too much use so I'm usually in there by myself. Fine by me.

Darren870

Well I am back into the spirit of lifting again, so I want to start posting here a bit more. Anyways, here are some pictures to start me off.

(sorry no legs, Ill take them next time)

I'm also going to blur my face for now. Nature of the beast, though some people from GAF have met me so it shouldn't be to hard to find my mug.

My biggest problems have always been my mid section and my chest. I am cutting out the massive amount of fruit I eat (as suggested a few pages back) so we will see how my body changes. This is the first week without 6+ servings of fruit.

IMAG0323_zpsafd67a10.jpg

IMAG0324_zpscf0554c5.jpg

IMAG0325_zps49e80415.jpg

Mik2121

So for the last two weeks I've been on this loop of

Day 1 - Back, biceps, shoulder
Day 2 - Chest, triceps
Day 3 - Squats and some cardio

Rinse and repeat 5 days a week. I've been going to the gym for 2 months and have yet to drink any sort of proteins or have any bars or anything, but two guys I usually do training with, suggested me to have some because it helps a lot..

I live in Japan so the stuff being sold here is most likely Japanese brands and a couple foreign brands I've seen around on the gym's store (going to a Konami Sports Club). What kind of protein drinks should I look for? I know it's a difficult question...

I'm up 3lbs. this week. Fuck everything.

My daily meals:
Fast until noon

Coffee in AM

Lunch:
Baked quarter chicken with skin, broccoli with 1/4 shredded cheese, quest bar

Snack: Something with protein/fat (2-300 calories tops), Protein shake on workout days

Dinner: Protein and veg with fat from either cheese or heavy cream based sauce

Either carb nite is making me hold water all week, or I'm fucking everything up.

I'm injured and gaining weight. Feels great.

dejay

Banned
So for the last two weeks I've been on this loop of

Day 1 - Back, biceps, shoulder
Day 2 - Chest, triceps
Day 3 - Squats and some cardio

Rinse and repeat 5 days a week. I've been going to the gym for 2 months and have yet to drink any sort of proteins or have any bars or anything, but two guys I usually do training with, suggested me to have some because it helps a lot..

I live in Japan so the stuff being sold here is most likely Japanese brands and a couple foreign brands I've seen around on the gym's store (going to a Konami Sports Club). What kind of protein drinks should I look for? I know it's a difficult question...

Just a whey concentrate powder will give you decent protein for a reasonable price (as opposed to whey isolate, which has a little bit more protein for a fair bit more cost). Some pricey shops only seem to have isolate. Being in Australia, online is the cheapest alternative for me - not sure what the situation is in Japan. Look at the macro levels on the label - around 80% protein (80g protein per 100g of powder) is about what you can expect. Work out how much you're paying per kg for each and compare. Keep in mind the calories, fat, carbs and sodium that will also be present.

Protein powders aren't a magic bullet - it's just there to make sure you are getting enough daily protein to make your hard work in the gym turn into muscle growth. If there's enough protein in your normal diet you don't need to supplement but that much meat can get pricey. I also like to think that I'm not eating a herd of cattle every day in order to put on some muscle.

From the OP

Protein Requirements
As a general rule for athletes and those involved with strength training, 1-1.5g per pound of bodyweight is required for those wishing to maximize strength and size gains. Competitive bodybuilders and elite level athletes may get as much as 2g per pound of bodyweight, but that is extreme.

In my opinion, I think its a good idea to consume as much excess protein as you desire to gain in bodyweight. It has already been shown that as much as 1.4g/lb of bodyweight is not harmful and may be helpful, so having this "surplus" of protein is useful.

Example: We have a 160 lb individual who would like to be 180 lbs. Ignoring everything but protein, we can safely conclude he should eat at least 160g (1x) of protein a day, would do well to consume 180g of protein (a bit of surplus), and can safely and effectively consume up to 224g of protein a day (1.4x, with plenty of surplus).

EDIT

I'm up 3lbs. this week. Fuck everything.

I'm injured and gaining weight. Feels great.

Sure you're not adding muscle mass too? That and varying water weight can easily account for that gain.

I've dropped a belt size recently but lost only 1kg in three weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom