• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreaver

Hey Fitness-GAF, I've a few dumbells laying around in my room for ages, I feel like I should start using them. Different weights, up to 2.5kg per dumbell (rings that are 0.5 or 1kg). Honestly, I've no idea where to start. I don't have a loose couch (like they have at the gym). Can anyone give me a little bit of advice? What weights would be good to start and how many times should I do it? I've read the OP, but honestly it doesn't make it easier for me.

Height: 187 cm
Weight: around 80 kg
Goal: Just a little bit of training with my arms.
Current Training Schedule: Non
Current Training Equipment Available: 2x 2.5 kg dumbells, the floor and a chair?
Comments: I don't really have time or money for the gym so I'd rather try a little bit at home. I'd love some advice.

CrankyJay

Banned
Hey Fitness-GAF, I've a few dumbells laying around in my room for ages, I feel like I should start using them. Different weights, up to 2.5kg per dumbell (rings that are 0.5 or 1kg). Honestly, I've no idea where to start. I don't have a loose couch (like they have at the gym). Can anyone give me a little bit of advice? What weights would be good to start and how many times should I do it? I've read the OP, but honestly it doesn't make it easier for me.

Current Training Equipment Available: 2x 2.5 kg dumbells, the floor and a chair?
Comments: I don't really have time or money for the gym so I'd rather try a little bit at home. I'd love some advice.

Lift them.

Seriously go google dumbbell exercises.

Your goal is "Just a little bit of training with my arms" so you don't need any specific program advice from us.

Sure you're not adding muscle mass too? That and varying water weight can easily account for that gain.

I've dropped a belt size recently but lost only 1kg in three weeks.

Yeah I hope it's just water, if it goes any higher by next friday I'm pulling the plug on carb nite and just sticking with keto.

CrankyJay

Banned
Yeah there's just no way. Based on my size I eat at least a 500-800 calorie deficit a day. I'm 6'1, 221 lbs. and posted a typical day of meals just up there.

How are your sodium levels?

You could try replacing the dairy with other cals.

I wonder if you're actually eating too little for your size.

I'm 6'2 197 and I eat more than you (was 220 at my heaviest)

Szu

Can I join you guys with the public bathroom pictures?

3F1A9E6A-A89F-42AC-8324-B22F80166482-2380-0000012631F7956F_zps5a9ba85c.jpg

Post eating a rotisserie chicken at wegmans.

Looking great, Sean!!!

How are your sodium levels?

You could try replacing the dairy with other cals.

I wonder if you're actually eating too little for your size.

I'm 6'2 197 and I eat more than you (was 220 at my heaviest)

Sodium is prob pretty high. I add salt to most meals. Maybe not drinking enough water. Try to drink at least 2 liters.

dejay

Banned

I'm not really sure what you can do with 2.5kg dumbells - perhaps Zumba! Really, those weights aren't really good for anything other than extremely high reps, which won't do much for you except making you really good at lifting 2.5kg hundreds of times.

If you have no alternative, you're better off doing body weight exercises like lunges (legs), push-ups (chest, shoulders, triceps), chair dips (triceps), and maybe finding a park where you can do pull ups and chin ups (back, lats and biceps). You won't get "big" but you can be "toned" and you can do cool things with your body weight.

This dude's into bodyweight exercises: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJe5xLbxaxg

ToxicAdam

Doomed to fail.

Sorry to be blunt, but until you alleviate that situation, you aren't going to get much done or see any kind of results.

Szu

Just got in from the gym, was supposed to do shoulders/back hypertrophy today but that first set of OHP felt the best I've felt in months. So, I turned it into a shoulder workout and overworked them like a muddasucka, my right shoulder is 90% and there was no pain or fatigue right out the gate. I made my right shoulder my bitch today, reminded it who the boss was -

http://i.imgur.com/FYq7M.gif

Excellent, now celebrate properly by OHPing random shit and throwing it out a window!!!

MjFrancis

While "doing cf" my squat 200->300, deadlift 315->450, couldn't do a pull-up at all -> 18 dead hang, never done Olympic lifts before -> snatch 192, clean and jerk 242, 7 minute mile -> 5:22 mile. I'm not a super strong dude but I can definitively say I've gotten stronger doing cf.
This thread flies by and I missed this.

Awesome work! All while improving your barbell lifts, too.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I hope it's just water, if it goes any higher by next friday I'm pulling the plug on carb nite and just sticking with keto.

Makin me scared of carb nite! I'll let you know how it goes with me, but unfortunately I swore off scales and decided my life is better if I only go by how I feel. That being said I felt like a fat shit the other day, but this morning I feel magnificent. It's stupid. The body is stupid.

grumble

Yep. Nobody "has time" for the gym. All of us have goals that require us to make time for it.

Totally agree. You have to choose how to spend your time. If you have time to browse GAF, then you have time to exercise. It's important to at least get some activity in regularly, but if you don't give enough of a shit then as soon as it becomes in the least inconvenient to continue you'll just quit. Choose to make a change, small though it might be, and stick with it. Not just for lifting but for everything

Makin me scared of carb nite! I'll let you know how it goes with me, but unfortunately I swore off scales and decided my life is better if I only go by how I feel. That being said I felt like a fat shit the other day, but this morning I feel magnificent. It's stupid. The body is stupid.

Don't be, I'm under a lot of stress (don't know if I'll have a job next year, if I don't my wife has to drop nursing school) and that probably plays a role. I might OHP my scale and throw* it off my balcony.

*Explosive tricep extension with follow-through.

balddemon

Banned
man I was gonna get some quest bars with that coupon as pre emptive reward for the job offer I'm going to get from lifetime (as a locker room attendant, but hey it pays a few bills), but our printer is out of ink. I'm not going to buy ink.

Mik2121

Well, in the mornings you're dehydrated so if you look at yourself on the mirror, you will most likely look more "fit" than say at night after having dinner. At least that happens to me. I look the fittest right after the gym and in the mornings, otherwise all my muscles aren't as defined.

At least that's for me, anyway :p

Ekdrm2d1

My printer recently split in half. Gotta fix it or pay for a repair/buy a new one. That's why I forgot to print out the coupon myself.

Forgot to print it at work :p

Szu

Well, in the mornings you're dehydrated so if you look at yourself on the mirror, you will most likely look more "fit" than say at night after having dinner. At least that happens to me. I look the fittest right after the gym and in the mornings, otherwise all my muscles aren't as defined.

At least that's for me, anyway :p

Agreed, that's usually the case for me too.

Petrie

Banned
Won't post another pic quote, but great job Sean. Arms are really filling out that polo, and you just look like you keep getting fitter and healthier as I watch your progress. Great work bro.

SeanR1221

Yep. Nobody "has time" for the gym. All of us have goals that require us to make time for it.

That's why I schedule my day around the gym. Movies tonight? Might be able to fit that in after the gym, bro.

Won't post another pic quote, but great job Sean. Arms are really filling out that polo, and you just look like you keep getting fitter and healthier as I watch your progress. Great work bro.

Feeling the Fitgaf love <3

Fiancé wants to go to wegmans again tonight. She's addicted to the rice less sushi. Since I'll go right after squats I think I'll do sesame chicken.

theytookourjobz

That's why I schedule my day around the gym. Movies tonight? Might be able to fit that in after the gym, bro.

Feeling the Fitgaf love <3

Fiancé wants to go to wegmans again tonight. She's addicted to the rice less sushi. Since I'll go right after squats I think I'll do sesame chicken.

Go see Iron Man in the fucking mirror! Haha.

Petrie

Banned

No way. I love my gym time, but Iron Man 3 is what I'm scheduling around. The worst part of my new job is going to be missing all these midnight showings of these big releases. Super depressing.

theytookourjobz

No way. I love my gym time, but Iron Man 3 is what I'm scheduling around. The worst part of my new job is going to be missing all these midnight showings of these big releases. Super depressing.

I don't know how but all the theaters in my area show movies at 9pm the night before they come out instead of midnight. It's awesome.

Petrie

Banned
I don't know how but all the theaters in my area show movies at 9pm the night before they come out instead of midnight. It's awesome.

I saw that last night for Iron Man, but realized it too late to get my girl out of work and make it. This will be nice if it continues though, as we love being with the crowd for those types of showings.

Still feels like you lose something not being there at midnight though. A 9pm crowd just seems it'd be less enthusiastic, even if that's not the case.

I'm up 3lbs. this week. Fuck everything.

My daily meals:
Fast until noon

Coffee in AM

Lunch:
Baked quarter chicken with skin, broccoli with 1/4 shredded cheese, quest bar

Snack: Something with protein/fat (2-300 calories tops), Protein shake on workout days

Dinner: Protein and veg with fat from either cheese or heavy cream based sauce

Either carb nite is making me hold water all week, or I'm fucking everything up.

I'm injured and gaining weight. Feels great.
6'1 and 220 pounds? Are you sure you're eating enough? Also, be sure that the quest bar isn't causing an insulin spike (that's why I don't eat them :(). Also be sure that your protein shake doesn't have sugar. And depending on the quality/type of cheese it can have sugar/carbs. Also, what else are you putting in your sauces with dinner?

crpav

Get married have a kid and come talk to me about finding time. That as well as body, energy and other issues make it hard to lift like I did when I was young. I am 34 now but body feels like 134...ok not that old but things are just not right.

bro1

Banned
Get married have a kid and come talk to me about finding time. That as well as body, energy and other issues make it hard to lift like I did when I was young. I am 34 now but body feels like 134...ok not that old but things are just not right.

Yup, in the same boat too. I'm 37, married, kid, etc. It's hard to fit in enough time. Lunch works well, 5am works well, and getting the wife involved in the workouts has also helped.

SeanR1221

Was it sean that was obsessed with declines?

Decline chest flyes - y/n?

Nahhh, Edge is.

Go Saturday and Sunday. Then you only need to find one day during the week.

crpav

Yup, in the same boat too. I'm 37, married, kid, etc. It's hard to fit in enough time. Lunch works well, 5am works well, and getting the wife involved in the workouts has also helped.

I will never do a lunch workout. I sweat so much and take so long to cool down I shower and still sweat for an hour afterwards. Summer is even worse. Mornings are tough but once you get in the routine it becomes easier. Only hard part is my wife needs help with son. I do have some workout equipment at home so sometimes I do cardio and light weight exercises at home but can't do the heavy lifting without the gym. The gym here is another story. Our population growth, being oil boom town, far surpasses the size of the current gym. Anytime I go I just shake my head and leave. 1 squat rack, 2 standard benchs and overall not enough weight equipment for the amount of people. Other gym is a 24 hour fitness and for the price and what they offer, NO THANKS. I really should open a hardcore heavy/big dude gym.

Add to that my many years of "abuse" on my body with sports and lifting and injuries I just have issues with squats and a few other major lifts.

crpav

Nahhh, Edge is.

Go Saturday and Sunday. Then you only need to find one day during the week.

I could but weekends are busy too. Yard work, house work, etc. Ok I can still make time but my body seems to shut down on the weekends and I have no energy compared to the other days of the week. I will make an effort though on your recommendation. I can at least get in my heavy lifts at the gym because those are the only days the gym is not packed tighter than a sardine can.

bro1

Banned
I will never do a lunch workout. I sweat so much and take so long to cool down I shower and still sweat for an hour afterwards. Summer is even worse. Mornings are tough but once you get in the routine it becomes easier. Only hard part is my wife needs help with son. I do have some workout equipment at home so sometimes I do cardio and light weight exercises at home but can't do the heavy lifting without the gym. The gym here is another story. Our population growth, being oil boom town, far surpasses the size of the current gym. Anytime I go I just shake my head and leave. 1 squat rack, 2 standard benchs and overall not enough weight equipment for the amount of people. Other gym is a 24 hour fitness and for the price and what they offer, NO THANKS. I really should open a hardcore heavy/big dude gym.

Add to that my many years of "abuse" on my body with sports and lifting and injuries I just have issues with squats and a few other major lifts.

I spent about $1K on my home gym over the years (squat rack, bench press, dip bars, pull up bars, various bars, weights, and dumbells) and it was worth every penny. I can workout whenever.

As for excuses, you aren't going to get much sympathy here on this board. I have a 6 year old so I get your wife needing help, but I manage to fit time in for tri training and weight lifting. During lunch today I am going to run sprints. Don't want to, but don't have a choice as it's the only time I have today (karate lesson for kid tonight and my wife is going out)

SeanR1221

I could but weekends are busy too. Yard work, house work, etc. Ok I can still make time but my body seems to shut down on the weekends and I have no energy compared to the other days of the week. I will make an effort though on your recommendation. I can at least get in my heavy lifts at the gym because those are the only days the gym is not packed tighter than a sardine can.

Yeah I love working out on weekends. Gym is empty.

Maybe get it in as soon as they open?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom