• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToxicAdam

I go early in the AM on weekends. I'm usually back home by the time everyone else is waking up. Then I just take an hour nap at some point during the day.

starting up
I was wobbly this past Monday doing Bench. Which made me fear doing Bench.
but
Just did one this morning by myself did 4 sets with bar touching my chest. feels good.
also did my first dragonflags

SeanR1221

Problem for me is over the Summer I want to be able to go out on the parent's boat and such for weekends, and I do need to enjoy life, you know?

How was going at lunch the other day?

At least this summer you can stay on track with training. Weren't you at your GFs camp last summer?

balddemon

Banned
My might as well be wife will be along with me, so that's not really a consideration.

Eye candy is lovely though.

ah yes that too. haha.
the times we've all gone to the lake it's been me and some bros and then some young women. we're all 21-23. it's pretty fun. not gonna lie.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Get married have a kid and come talk to me about finding time. That as well as body, energy and other issues make it hard to lift like I did when I was young. I am 34 now but body feels like 134...ok not that old but things are just not right.
I'm 33, have 3 kids, and a wife in nursing school. If it's important you can find 5 hours a week.

EDIT: I also currently have a torn ACL which I can't afford to get fixed for a 2nd time

Petrie

Banned
How was going at lunch the other day?

At least this summer you can stay on track with training. Weren't you at your GFs camp last summer?

Yeah for a few weeks we went away, made it a bit rough to stay on point.

Lunch workout wasn't bad. Did it for leg day, did my usual 5/3/1 sets, did a set or 2 less of accessory stuff, but still made it back with time to spare. Helps that I'm definitely not a big sweater. Most of my days will be 7-4 so going after work won't be so bad, but on days I'm 8-5 I'm definitely going to give the lunch thing a go. W'll see what happens. Might just have to vary it based on plans on the weekends and such, as Shogun's weekends idea would be preferable if not for the glorious Summer plans.

Cooter

Edge is the only guy I have ever seen fall in love with Decline. Its a decent exercise to shock things up but never to make as a staple especially when weighted dips are around.

Man Iron Man 3 sucked.
You really feel weighted dips hit your chest that much? I do feel it on the chest but the vast majority of what I feel is tris. I had 135lbs yesterday and barely felt my chest.

Edge is the only guy I have ever seen fall in love with Decline. Its a decent exercise to shock things up but never to make as a staple especially when weighted dips are around.

Man Iron Man 3 sucked.

I attribute my chest getting bigger/stronger to decline. I plan to return back to flat later this year. Gotta give props to abuC and another poster in here who I cannot remember (I'm sorry!) who said to do it instead of flat.

I don't know how I feel about IM3. I liked it but at the same time... didn't.

You really feel weighted dips hit your chest that much. I do feel it on the chest but the vast majority of what I feel is tris. I had 135lbs yesterday and barely felt my chest.

Yeah, all tris for me.

You really feel weighted dips hit your chest that much. I do feel it on the chest but the vast majority of what I feel is tris. I had 135lbs yesterday and barely felt my chest.

Yeah I can get it where its just blasting my lower chest. Its just about angling right.

I had a guy show me years ago how to make sure your getting it just right by swinging your legs out as you decend on the dip, in essence your angle your body to simulate a pushup as much as possible. Once you get the muscle memory from that you can just angle your legs behind you with weight. Nothing will make my lower chest that sore.

I attribute my chest getting bigger/stronger to decline. I plan to return back to flat later this year. Gotta give props to abuC and another poster in here who I cannot remember (I'm sorry!) who said to do it instead of flat.

I don't know how I feel about IM3. I liked it but at the same time... didn't.

Yeah, all tris for me.

Thats actually the perfect way to describe the movie. I love RDJ and he is of course great in every scene but the actual movie was just nothing. I probably won't remember anything about it as my day progresses.

Cooter

Yeah I can get it to where I feel about the vast majority of the impact is on my lower chest. Its just about angling right.

I had a guy show me years ago how to make sure your getting it just right by swinging your legs out as you decend on the dip, in essence your angle your body to simulate a pushup as much as possible. Once you get the muscle memory from that you can just angle your legs behind you with weight. Nothing will make my lower chest that sore.
I know what you mean. I treat them as a tri exercise and concentrate on being as upright as possible. If I lean forward it hits my chest more but there is a ton of stress on my shoulders and with 2 plates hanging down it always seems like a bad idea.

balddemon

Banned
just got my quest bars. banana nut muffin and cinnamon roll. had a banana nut muffin on the way home. will microwave a cinnamon roll for the drive to the gym.

two boxes came out to about $40. so not bad I guess.

The Chef

just got my quest bars. banana nut muffin and cinnamon roll. had a banana nut muffin on the way home. will microwave a cinnamon roll for the drive to the gym.

two boxes came out to about $40. so not bad I guess.

Holy crap seriously?
I just got a box of cookie dough and a box of cinnamon roll. Gotta try this.

Yup, in the same boat too. I'm 37, married, kid, etc. It's hard to fit in enough time. Lunch works well, 5am works well, and getting the wife involved in the workouts has also helped.

Yeah, you have to change how you structure your life with a family. But honestly the changes can be pretty fun. I'd normally not share a family picture, but this is zoomed out enough and crappy enough cell phone quality that I'm ok with it.

gIo0LL5.jpg

This is me and the kids this morning on my trail run commute into work. On some mornings I get up early, make waffles for the kids to eat on the way and toss them into a double BOB jogging stroller and hit the trails with them and my wife running. My wife runs while I run with the stroller and she comes most of the way to work with me before turning around and taking the kids home in the stroller. We get family time together, the kids get a few chances to get out and stretch their legs in the woods (like in the above picture) and I get a great workout in on my way to work. Yeah, having all the gym time I wanted as a single or married with no kids dude was fun sometimes, but there are totally ways to get in good workouts as a family man without just ditching them all the time. Just have to find the right balance.

Demon Ice

Banned
Do people at your gym unrack the machines? People at mine never seem to, particularly the leg machines.

I usually unrack down to a 45 on each side.

After leg presses I'll unrack it down to a 45 on each side, everything else I unrack the bar completely. Seems like common courtesy plus it lets people know the equipment is available, I get so annoyed when I see a loaded barbell sitting there unattended so I go do some other workout and I come back to see it's still there, the last dude who used it just left it there fully loaded.

balddemon

Banned
Holy crap seriously?
I just got a box of cookie dough and a box of cinnamon roll. Gotta try this.

yeah I haven't tried it with quest bars, but with some other bars it makes them real good. just take them out the package first. and only like e15 seconds max.

bro1

Banned

Man Iron Man 3 sucked.

Didn't suck! Just not what you expected. It was better than 90% of the movies I have seen this year.

Didn't suck! Just not what you expected. It was better than 90% of the movies I have seen this year.

I think people let how funny and perfect RDJ's comedic timing and amazing presence on film is in these movies sway them to not look at how bad they actually are.

This one is even worse to me though because the action is so subpar.
Any one scene in Avengers of Iron Man is better than every sequence they put together for this movie and I am all for having zany crap because hey were watching a super hero movie right but there is just too much ridiculous crap going on.

Ha thats pretty good

otapnam

I'm 33, have 3 kids, and a wife in nursing school. If it's important you can find 5 hours a week.

EDIT: I also currently have a torn ACL which I can't afford to get fixed for a 2nd time

Oh shit man didn't know about the acl. Sucks

EDIT: the older I get the more im scared of breaking something (30 yrs old)

I know what you mean. I treat them as a tri exercise and concentrate on being as upright as possible. If I lean forward it hits my chest more but there is a ton of stress on my shoulders and with 2 plates hanging down it always seems like a bad idea.

Once you start getting the feeling you don't even have to angle that much. I use dips twice a week once for Tris and once for Lower Chest and its amazing that I won't feel it impacting either of those muscles I don't want just depending on the angle.

how-to-build-a-bigger-chest.jpg

Oh shit man didn't know about the acl. Sucks

EDIT: the older I get the more im scared of breaking something (30 yrs old)
I always grin when I read about you 30 year olds talking as if you are old. I'm stronger now at 44 than when I was 34, but it sure as hell gets harder once you turn 40. I have a very hectic schedule, along with 2 kids and a wife, and I average at least 60 work hours a week, no weekends off. 3 days a week of working out is good for me, anything more and I'm killing myself, especially since my job is physically taxing. Enjoy your 30s while you can, lol!

Szu

I always grin when I read about you 30 year olds talking as if you are old. I'm stronger now at 44 than when I was 34, but it sure as hell gets harder once you turn 40. I have a very hectic schedule, along with 2 kids and a wife, and I average at least 60 work hours a week, no weekends off. 3 days a week of working out is good for me, anything more and I'm killing myself, especially since my job is physically taxing. Enjoy your 30s while you can, lol!

Thanks, I'm turning 40 this year.

balddemon

Banned
Cinnamon roll was amazing. But also these bars aren't so good that I want to eat more than 1 at a time. I've only that problem once with protein bars though.

Anyays I forgot deoderant today lmao. No way I'm sticking around any more than extra :p

Ekdrm2d1

Cinnamon roll was amazing. But also these bars aren't so good that I want to eat more than 1 at a time. I've only that problem once with protein bars though.

Anyays I forgot deoderant today lmao. No way I'm sticking around any more than extra :p

Yeah, there's better tasting ones out there but odds are they are full of junk. If you want to eat right, Quest is the answer :p

I would rather put up with an "OK" taste than to eat a candy bar as my protein bar. Love me some Stinger Honey Dark Chocolate Cherry Almond. It's also whey protein.
honey_stinger_dark_chocolate_cherry_almond_pr2.jpg

So bad for you though (when compared to Quest.)

balddemon

Banned
Yeah, there's better tasting ones out there but odds are they are full of junk. If you want to eat right, Quest is the answer :p

I would rather put up with an "OK" taste than to eat a candy bar as my protein bar. Love me some Stinger Honey Dark Chocolate Cherry Almond. It's also whey protein.
honey_stinger_dark_chocolate_cherry_almond_pr2.jpg

So bad for you though (when compared to Quest.)
Mm yeah honey stinger waffles are the bestest post workout carbs I've ever had lol. My favorite bar though is the Oh Yeah! brand. I think its the blue ones that are best but the red ones are ok too. Seriously. Hella carbs but oh well.

abuC

Damn bro, and I thought I had it bad with an arthritic knee, it started deteriorating in 8th grade. I couldn't imagine walking around with a torn ACL, you're not even beast mode, beast mode is cooter.

Cooter

Damn bro, and I thought I had it bad with an arthritic knee, it started deteriorating in 8th grade. I couldn't imagine walking around with a torn ACL, you're not even beast mode, beast mode is cooter.
lol. You're funny. It's not as bad as you think. Daily activity is fine. I can't do anything laterally and it pops from time to time but besides that I'm cool. I played a lot of sports in my day and I only have one speed, fast! I broke my femur at 10 and spent 3 weeks in the hospital in traction and had a body cast when I was released. Tore my ACL and rehabbed hard only to tear it again 14 months later playing BB. That was about 6 years ago. Still got up a 430 squat without it. Who needs an ACL!

CrankyJay

Banned

See my post from yesterday...it's elective...especially if you want to play sports or pivot, but I'd feel pretty dejected tearing it more than once.

abuC

lol. You're funny. It's not as bad as you think. Daily activity is fine. I can't do anything laterally and it pops from time to time but besides that I'm cool. I played a lot of sports in my day and I only have one speed, fast! I broke my femur at 10 and spent 3 weeks in the hospital in traction and had a body cast when I was released. Tore my ACL and rehabbed hard only to tear it again 14 months later playing BB. That was about 6 years ago. Still got up a 430 squat without it. Who needs an ACL!

That's crazy, my shoulder injury I worked out through even though everyone was telling me to get surgery but a knee is completely different. I don't know how you get under the bar to squat that much weight, like I said, Cooter mode.

See my post from yesterday...it's elective...especially if you want to play sports or pivot, but I'd feel pretty dejected tearing it more than once.

I play a lot of basketball, ACL/MCL/PCL tears frighten me, only thing worse IMO would be an achilles tear.

Cooter

After all the rehab and finally getting back on the court and getting my game back I will never forget that day I tore it again. I wanted to cry. The pain I can handle but all the work and money and knowing what I would have to go through if I wanted to fix it again left me pretty much depressed for a few weeks.

CrankyJay

Banned
That's crazy, my shoulder injury I worked out through even though everyone was telling me to get surgery but a knee is completely different. I don't know how you get under the bar to squat that much weight, like I said, Cooter mode.

I play a lot of basketball, ACL/MCL/PCL tears frighten me, only thing worse IMO would be an achilles tear.

Achilles seems worse to me...but I guess that comes from ACL experience.

I had a small meniscus tear as well but I guess that really didn't amount to much.

balddemon

Banned
question for you guys about multivitamins:

I'm already taking vitamin D, vitamin C, silver water, fish oil, and probiotics once a day. the lady at gnc said I should get a multivitamin because all the vitamins in them are mixed to the proper balance or whatever, and that if I take them separately, I'm not getting the proper amount so they don't work together. fact or fiction?

also, she said silver water turns you blue. what?

edit: found this article on silver water: http://rense.com/general12/blueasdf.htm
the article and response could be legit, but I'll look for more info.

edit2: lol http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/1866180
The University of Nuevo Leon in Mexico has researched silver nano particles and has come to the conclusion that silver is anti viral and anti bacterial, and KILLs HIV. This University is extremely well respected by Europeans and Latin America and is known for its unbiased and meticulous research.
I know it's from answerbag, but this line piqued my interest. anyone read anything about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom