• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrankyJay

Banned
About Carb Nite and alcohol:

And this my friends is why I'm not drinking next saturday :)

Fucking lol, dat Rip quote :D

You guys can laugh me out of the thread, but if you're cutting and you're looking for a woosh of weight loss, alcohol can do wonders for emptying depleted fat cells of water.

Had two homemade margaritas last night and was lower this morning...

Recipe:

Tequila blanco (I prefer Patron Silver or Cabo Wabo) - 1.5 oz
Gran Marnier or Gran Gala (knock off which is half the price) orange liquer - 1 oz
1 oz. fresh squeezed lime...i stress, do not get that shit in a bottle. Buy real fucking limes.

Serve over ice.

You can sugar it up with agave nectar but if you're on a cut, no...and simple is better any damn way.

Here are my quads:

NEtqP8c.jpg

Finished Smolov Jr. for front squats a week ago. I had a previous 1RM of 110kg (at 77kg bw) but had a while off so did the routine with a training max of 100kg. I added 5kg the second week and 2.5kg the third week.

The final workout of 92.5kg x 10 x 3 was one of the toughest workouts I have ever completed.

I'm supposed to test my new 1RM today but circumstances mean that I won't be able to for a few days. Hoping for at least 120kg.

theytookourjobz

Here are my quads:

Finished Smolov Jr. for front squats a week ago. I had a previous 1RM of 110kg (at 77kg bw) but had a while off so did the routine with a training max of 100kg. I added 5kg the second week and 2.5kg the third week.

The final workout of 92.5kg x 10 x 3 was one of the toughest workouts I have ever completed.

I'm supposed to test my new 1RM today but circumstances mean that I won't be able to for a few days. Hoping for at least 120kg.

Dude I know is doing smolov for front squats too. It's freaking brutal. Let us know how you do when you max!

SeanR1221

Why the scale doesn't matter.

Yesterday my biggest meal was the buffet from wegmans. You know how it's 8.50 a lb? My dish came to 19.00. All sesame chicken and pork and lo mein.

2 pounds less this morning.

Then again the only things I had besides this was 2 quest bars and a protein shake.

Still loving eating everything in an 8 hour period.

Demon Ice

Banned
Whey denatures in heat. The colder the filtration process used to production the higher the biological value.

Denaturing just means the protein lost its folded three dimensional structure. The actual amino acid sequences are not altered by heat. Digestion (extremely acidic pH) denatures proteins too, before the digestive enzymes even begin cleaving the actual amino acid sequence. Every protein has to be denatured before it can be digested, not to mention when you actually cook the food (IE when you cook an egg and the liquidy part changes color and becomes more solid, that's the protein denaturing). I'm fairly sure cooking with whey protein is fine, he'll still get the benefit from 340 grams of protein.

despire

Yesterday my biggest meal was the buffet from wegmans. You know how it's 8.50 a lb? My dish came to 19.00. All sesame chicken and pork and lo mein.

Then again the only things I had besides this was 2 quest bars and a protein shake.

Are you doing Carb Nite?

Dany

Banned
Biking each day wears out, as in it can get tedious. I need a book to read. I always go in the middle of the day and the only thing on the tv's are soaps or daytime talk show host.

I hate the view.

Mully

Yeah it's pretty great. I just started IMF three days ago and it works well with my work schedule.

Work for 10-12 hours.
Grab a wrap from the deli around the eighth hour of work: 400-600k/cal
Come home
Eat a large but lean meal: 1500k/cal
Finish off with a protein shake: 240k/cal

SeanR1221

Yeah it's pretty great. I just started IMF three days ago and it works well with my work schedule.

Work for 10-12 hours.
Grab a wrap from the deli around the eighth hour of work: 400-600k/cal
Come home
Eat a large but lean meal: 1500k/cal
Finish off with a protein shake: 240k/cal

I think today for me will be...

Three eggs, spinach and cheese cooked in coconut oil with a side of chicken and shrimp

Snack will be whey and almond milk

Dinner? I'm thinking a big ribeye and Brussel sprouts.

sphinx

the piano man
have you guys checked the Gifcam thread?? it really is an awesome tool and extremly easy to use.

(sorry for the gloves, shoes and low weight, :p and any form corrections are welcome)

squat1_zps97ad120d.gif

It feels like gaf, and all threads that commonly contain pics of their regulars will never be the same with it.

Dude I know is doing smolov for front squats too. It's freaking brutal. Let us know how you do when you max!

Will do.

The physical aspect of Smolov is tough, but the mental aspect is probably tougher. Being in a constant state of extreme DOMS for three weeks is difficult :) The warm-up sets and the first two working sets were always the hardest part!

calza

For increasing chin ups, what row is more effective? I am doing chin ups 5 times a week, and doing dumbbell rows, but wasn't sure if barbell rows would be better?

I am also just front squating and deadlifiting, do I really need to have back squats?

despire

For increasing chin ups, what row is more effective? I am doing chin ups 5 times a week, and doing dumbbell rows, but wasn't sure if barbell rows would be better?

I am also just front squating and deadlifiting, do I really need to have back squats?

Doing more (and possibly weighted) chin ups is most effective since rows aren't really the same movement and can't be expected to carry over that well.

Also you don't need to do anything but front squats and back squats don't really compare. Back squats are for general strength purposes where as front squats are not. They are mainly useful for olympic lifters, quad hypertrophy and as assistance to the back squat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8zyw3fXZes

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Denaturing just means the protein lost its folded three dimensional structure. The actual amino acid sequences are not altered by heat. Digestion (extremely acidic pH) denatures proteins too, before the digestive enzymes even begin cleaving the actual amino acid sequence. Every protein has to be denatured before it can be digested, not to mention when you actually cook the food (IE when you cook an egg and the liquidy part changes color and becomes more solid, that's the protein denaturing). I'm fairly sure cooking with whey protein is fine, he'll still get the benefit from 340 grams of protein.

Science says he will not get the same benefit of 340 grams of that protein comparing it to before it was cooked.
Denaturing it means you have changed its biological value. It's ability to be broken down and the entirety of the amino acid structure being digested and used.

If heat didn't matter then the process to make whey protein isolate wouldn't be done under such a controlled cool temperature.

Is there protein still in those brownies? Yes there is.
But not as much as was in the mix before it was heated and not as high quality as before it was heated.

Do not cook whey protein. Do not leave a tub of whey protein on the counter where the sun can get to it. Do not leave a tub of whey protein on top of a fridge the heat of the fridge can damage it.

I'm pretty sure he will not get the same benefit of those 340 grams of protein.

Sorry man. Not time wasted. Just experience gained.

For strengthening your upper back and grip, either row would be fine and of course will help in doing chin-ups. However, most chin-up specific strength will come from you doing chin-ups.

You can vary chin-up programming in multiple ways by mixing up up weight, intensity, volume, tempo etc.

Unless your goal is to get your back squat as strong as possible, then no you do not need backsquats. However, if you want to back squat and front squat, then just rotate between front and back squats in different cycles or do heavy back squats/light front squats and vice versa etc.

Back squats are for general strength purposes where as front squats are not. They are mainly useful for olympic lifters, quad hypertrophy and as assistance to the back squat.

This is absolutely not true. Anyone who has a 2x bodyweight or more front squat is legitimately extremely strong all over.

Choosing between a front and a back squat is simply dependent on goals. For example, powerlifters do not compete with the front squat, and therefore, in this instance the front squat is just an assistance exercise. Olympic lifters place more emphasis on the front squat because it mimics the receiving position of the clean.

My personal opinion is that if there is nothing to stop you from doing both, then do both as there are different benefits with both of them.

despire

I didn't say that you couldn't get strong with front squats. I said that for general purposes back squat is better. And this is basically what Rip says so I'm going with him on this.

Goals and sports is of course the thing what dictates which you should be doing. But he didn't say that he's an olympic weightlifter so I'm guessing he's just training for general purposes. In which case back squat would be the better option.

But like I added later, he doesn't need to do anything. He can do both or he can do just the front squats if he wants. I'd personally start doing back squats and keep the front squat as an assistance.

Best I can do with legs.

No real definition but I'm trying! Looks great in the right light lol.

Here are my quads:

Solid outer quad sweep. Looking good.

calza

Doing more (and possibly weighted) chin ups is most effective since rows aren't really the same movement and can't be expected to carry over that well.

Also you don't need to do anything but front squats and back squats don't really compare. Back squats are for general strength purposes where as front squats are not. They are mainly useful for olympic lifters, quad hypertrophy and as assistance to the back squat.

For strengthening your upper back and grip, either row would be fine and of course will help in doing chin-ups. However, most chin-up specific strength will come from you doing chin-ups.

You can vary chin-up programming in multiple ways by mixing up up weight, intensity, volume, tempo etc.

Unless your goal is to get your back squat as strong as possible, then no you do not need backsquats. However, if you want to back squat and front squat, then just rotate between front and back squats in different cycles or do heavy back squats/light front squats and vice versa etc.

Yeah, I am doing the Armstrong pull up programme, which has maximum effort, pyramid and training sets so it has a lot of different reps.

This is absolutely not true. Anyone who has a 2x bodyweight or more front squat is legitimately extremely strong all over.

Choosing between a front and a back squat is simply dependent on goals. For example, powerlifters do not compete with the front squat, and therefore, in this instance the front squat is just an assistance exercise. Olympic lifters place more emphasis on the front squat because it mimics the receiving position of the clean.

My personal opinion is that if there is nothing to stop you from doing both, then do both as there are different benefits with both of them.

I didn't say that you couldn't get strong with front squats. I said that for general purposes back squat is better. And this is basically what Rip says so I'm going with him on this.

Goals and sports is of course the thing what dictates which you should be doing. But he didn't say that he's an olympic weightlifter so I'm guessing he's just training for general purposes. In which case back squat would be the better option.

But like I added later, he doesn't need to do anything. He can do both or he can do just the front squats if he wants. I'd personally start doing back squats and keep the front squat as an assistance.

I have quite a long torso and back squats seemed to emphasise my poor posture. I find front squats easier to maintain good form but they also reinforce good posture.

I just wasn't sure if I was missing out on lower back strength or if deadlifts would cover that.

I just wasn't sure if I was missing out on lower back strength or if deadlifts would cover that.

Front squats are kinder on the low back in terms of bearing of the weight, but will absolutely develop a strong low back since the front squat is dependent on a strong core.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Best I can do with legs.

No real definition but I'm trying! Looks great in the right light lol.

Solid outer quad sweep. Looking good.

GTO was a great series. You ever see the live-action? It's far BETTER, I know, crazy! Also pleased to see your Dreamcast is still hooked up. It's the best system ever.

Thanks! Admiring the mass you've got - your legs will look fantastic when you cut.

Yeah currently on a cut around 15% or so. I've never been one to have vascular legs. Maybe this year will be different.

GTO was a great series. You ever see the live-action? It's far BETTER, I know, crazy! Also pleased to see your Dreamcast is still hooked up. It's the best system ever.

GTO is one of my favorite animes along with YYH. Haven't seen the live action but heard great things. I also need to read GTO Shonan 14 Days. And yes, love the Dreamcast. I had to go through 3 of them just to beat Grandia 2. Well worth it.

Demon Ice

Banned
Science says he will not get the same benefit of 340 grams of that protein comparing it to before it was cooked.
Denaturing it means you have changed its biological value. It's ability to be broken down and the entirety of the amino acid structure being digested and used.

The acidic pH of stomach acid denatures proteins too, wouldn't that cause the same issues? Genuinely curious here, I graduated with a degree in biology so this interests me. As I was taught, denaturing a protein will break down the secondary, tertiary, and if applicable, quaternary structures, but the primary structure (amino acid sequence) will be unchanged. The body does not absorb proteins as full peptides anyways, the primary structure is further cleaved, usually into single amino acids, by digestive proteases.

Imm0rt4l

Nice wheels edge!

The acidic pH of stomach acid denatures proteins too, wouldn't that cause the same issues? Genuinely curious here, I graduated with a degree in biology so this interests me. As I was taught, denaturing a protein will break down the secondary, tertiary, and if applicable, quaternary structures, but the primary structure (amino acid sequence) will be unchanged. The body does not absorb proteins as full peptides anyways, the primary structure is further cleaved, usually into single amino acids, by digestive proteases.

Yep. Cooking,chewing, stomach acids are all apart of denaturing. You don't absorb protein so much as your body breaks it down into its individual cases components where it can be absorbed.

Edit:

Layne norton on the subject matter.

It is absolutely no deal whatsoever. You see proteins are long chains of amino acids that are linked together by peptide bonds. Each protein folds into it's own natural 'conformational' shape depending upon the sequence of the amino acids contained within it. Heat and acid will both denature proteins which means they will unfold from this conformational state. However, this does not 'destroy' the protein, it simply causes it to unfold. The amino acids remain intact and are still available. Just to make my point that it does not matter if you denature a protein, look at what happens during digestion. Proteins are exposed to concentrated acid in the stomach (6 Molar Hydrochloric Acid) which will denature almost ANY protein. In the small intestine the denatured protein is then cleaved into individual amino acids, di, and tri-peptides. So as you can see, denaturation is a natural part of digestion and in the end it really doesn't matter anyway if you denature a protein because it ends up being cleaved anyway.

Not saying norton is the authority. But he knows more than most. Eric helms another bodybuilder/sports nutrition scholar echoes the same sentiments. I don't think there are many studies on the matter anyways so this may not be conclusive. I wouldn't be concerned with such minutia.

abuC

Traps are finally starting to show some progress, I made a slight adjustment and went away from heavy weights and been shrugging 225x20 behind my back and holding at the top for a second. Seems to be working much better than shrugging 400+ lbs, really high reps seem to be the key for my shitty traps.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
A couple pics. My squat strength must come from my butt (which is large) and my hips because these are nothing to brag about.

legs5-4-13.jpg

legs5-4-13-2.jpg

IceCold

It's amazing what good lighting can do. I was flexing my pecs (just mirin' myself) yesterday when the sun was setting and I was like "nice! I'm seeing some really good progress", then did the same thing morning, and was like "meh :(". Still got a long way to go.

Going to reset my DB flat/incline to focus on mind muscle connection. I started incorporating it today and it definitely makes a huge difference. Just gotta get through that mental barrier of benching lower weights, though.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor

It's not the acid values. It's exposing the protein to temperatures above 70 degrees Celsius that damages it. Had to do with how one of the amino acids is damaged easily when heated. I think it's L-Lysine that is damaged most easily.
But all protein is denatured when heated.

The reason that not cooking with whey is stressed is because the process to create your whey protein powder is done at as low a temperature as possible to maintain highest biological value.
It defeats the purpose of all that work.

Demon Ice

Banned
Traps are finally starting to show some progress, I made a slight adjustment and went away from heavy weights and been shrugging 225x20 behind my back and holding at the top for a second. Seems to be working much better than shrugging 400+ lbs, really high reps seem to be the key for my shitty traps.

I figured that was the rule in general for muscles like traps and calves. Gotta blast 'em with high reps.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Ready for carb nite. Got cheetos, oreos, chocolate milk, donut holes, cookies, got a visit to Taco Bell scheduled for 7 and then out again elsewhere at 9. Gonna get stupid.

Eating plain-ass chicken right now.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Low bar usually seems to be much less quad dependent than high bar.

You do have impressive legs at any rate!

Thanks man. In all honesty I'm more concerned with targeting my glutes and hips than quads. I go low bar with wide stance and really deep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom