• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cudder

That's pretty poor programming to be honest. I'm not trying to be mean, but it's not an efficient way of training. If you train to get stronger, you'll also be able to do more reps at lower weights. The best way of getting stronger at 225lb on the squat is by being able to squat much more than 225lb. If you get your squat to 315lbx5 you'll probably be able to do 225lbx20 without too much trouble. Doing the same weight to failure until you reach a certain rep limit is hard to quantify, specially with compound lifts.

Do what you want, of course, but I suggest you limit your sets to 5 reps, and strive to add weight to the bar every session, even if it's only 5lb.

I never questioned my way of doing things that way because I always saw progress. Earlier this year I was probably doing 225x3. But I see what you mean. Of course, because I always did 12-10-8 I obviously knew that I could push more weight on everything if I dropped everything down to 5 reps, but I had always thought the 8-12 rep range was ideal.

sphinx

the piano man
I haven't started counting them yet, I'm going to soon. I know how much protein I'm eating tho, on average 150-200 a day

your best shot is to go to a nutritonist and ask them to make a plan for you, with exact and precise numbers and quantities, according to your goals.

If you are going to waste money, pay first for a nutritionist than for a personal trainer, most PTs will have you fucking around in the gym.

Noema

I never questioned my way of doing things that way because I always saw progress. Earlier this year I was probably doing 225x3. But I see what you mean. Of course, because I always did 12-10-8 I obviously knew that I could push more weight on everything if I dropped everything down to 5 reps, but I had always thought the 8-12 rep range was ideal.

The problem with the 8-12 rep range is that it's not very conductive to strength, since you'll have to do <80% of your max to hit those reps. And you have to regularly hit 90% in order to get stronger, and that means staying within the 3-5 rep range.

Look at it this way:

suppose you add 5lb to your squat every time you squat, doing 3 sets of 5. Now suppose you squat twice a week. That's 10lb a week, and even if you only add 5lb a week, that's still much more progress. You'll be getting stronger AND you'll be able to do more reps with less weight as well. If you add 10lb to your squat per week, in 8 weeks you'll be squatting 305lbx3x5, and if you can move that weight, 225lb will feel so laughably light you'll be easily repping 20+ reps with that weight.

You could also try something like 5/3/1. The strength progression is slower, but it still forces you to add weight to the bar every cycle AND you also get to test your rep maxes since the last work set is an AMRAP (As Many Reps as Possible) set, so you do at least 5, 3, or 1 depending on the week, but you go all out. Best of all, since everything is programmed, you won't be operating by "feel", since your goals depend on hitting the reps prescribed by the program.

Best way to progress is always to add more weight to the bar. :) Whenever you get stronger, the reps follow, but not always the other way around.

OogieBoogie is going to bulk? What the fuck have you guys done to him? Stop posting so many pictures Cooter.

Kidding, I honestly eagerly await seeing where you get to post is aesthetics and strength. I admire and somewhat envy you crazy guys.

Maybe I should start working on the muscle-up race.

your best shot is to go to a nutritonist and ask them to make a plan for you, with exact and precise numbers and quantities, according to your goals.

If you are going to waste money, pay first for a nutritionist than for a personal trainer, most PTs will have you fucking around in the gym.

Really? They charge a big chunk so I thought they'd atleast know what they're doing...? I thought if I explained them my goal, they'd show me what to do at the gym. how to do it the correct way and set a plan up on what to do every week? Or is there a big chance for them to fuck that up?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Really? They charge a big chunk so I thought they'd atleast know what they're doing...? I thought if I explained them my goal, they'd show me what to do at the gym. how to do it the correct way and set a plan up on what to do every week? Or is there a big chance for them to fuck that up?

Real talk, PRs vary wildly and we have no idea (and you as well) if you'll get one worth a shit or not. It's possible you might get a GREAT one. Possible you might get dogshit.

I say hire Evilore as his first subject.

Noema

Really? They charge a big chunk so I thought they'd atleast know what they're doing...?

You have much to learn about the world, young Padawan.

Or is there a big chance for them to fuck that up?

Oh, yes.

Yes there is.

zqrtk.jpg

fuck

I guess the only thing I can do is to ask around and see who people recommend as a pt

(evilore is too expensive)

LOL at the pic above...wow

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
fuck

I guess the only thing I can do is to ask around and see who people recommend as a pt

(evilore is too expensive)

LOL at the pic above...wow

The best thing for you to do is arm yourself with knowledge - enough to be able to tell when a trainer is fuckin worthless or if it's on the up and up. It's going to take some time to learn but it will pay off.

I'm with Noema, even if you're doing those rep ranges you can still increase the weight when hitting a certain rep. I wouldn't do the dropping rep stuff with squats unless it's designed for a certain program (my BB trainer had me doing something similar, but still greatly emphasized weight increase each week)

Anyway, I think you should drop the reps down and aim for a low set of reps and upping the weight each week.

Funny I say all this because I should take my own advice.

The best thing for you to do is arm yourself with knowledge - enough to be able to tell when a trainer is fuckin worthless or if it's on the up and up. It's going to take some time to learn but it will pay off.

I have problems around my body, which I got from a huge accident years ago. So I really need someone to show me how to do everything the right way without risking injury

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I have problems around my body, which I got from a huge accident years ago. So I really need someone to show me how to do everything the right way without risking injury

Yes, but you can still do a LOT of learning without having to actually DO it. Take Noema for instance - scholarly as fuck. Knowledge inside and out. And unless I'm remembering WRONG, he learned a lot of this before he turned into Carnivore Death Beast Noema that we saw a couple days ago.

Yes, but you can still do a LOT of learning without having to actually DO it. Take Noema for instance - scholarly as fuck. Knowledge inside and out. And unless I'm remembering WRONG, he learned a lot of this before he turned into Carnivore Death Beast Noema that we saw a couple days ago.

Its not only that, I have limitations. example, I can't perform a regular excercise on a few workouts. But I can be shown variations of that excercise thats made with my body in mind. If you know what I mean

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
OogieBoogie is going to bulk? What the fuck have you guys done to him? Stop posting so many pictures Cooter.

Kidding, I honestly eagerly await seeing where you get to post is aesthetics and strength. I admire and somewhat envy you crazy guys.

Maybe I should start working on the muscle-up race.

Haha! My daily pic updates aren't cool any more? Well darn.

Maybe? You most definitely should join the race! Ready, set, GO!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Its not only that, I have limitations. example, I can't perform a regular excercise on a few workouts. But I can be shown variations of that excercise thats made with my body in mind. If you know what I mean

Right. All I mean is go in there with more knowledge so you'll be able to tell if your trainer is full of shit or not. Being here is the best first step. You already know if they put your ass on a ball and have you do weird-ass ball squats with weights that they're a load of shit. Just be informed and bring it with you to the PT session.

Cudder

I'm with Noema, even if you're doing those rep ranges you can still increase the weight when hitting a certain rep. I wouldn't do the dropping rep stuff with squats unless it's designed for a certain program (my BB trainer had me doing something similar, but still greatly emphasized weight increase each week)

Anyway, I think you should drop the reps down and aim for a low set of reps and upping the weight each week.

Funny I say all this because I should take my own advice.

The problem with the 8-12 rep range is that it's not very conductive to strength, since you'll have to do <80% of your max to hit those reps. And you have to regularly hit 90% in order to get stronger, and that means staying within the 3-5 rep range.

Look at it this way:

suppose you add 5lb to your squat every time you squat, doing 3 sets of 5. Now suppose you squat twice a week. That's 10lb a week, and even if you only add 5lb a week, that's still much more progress. You'll be getting stronger AND you'll be able to do more reps with less weight as well. If you add 10lb to your squat per week, in 8 weeks you'll be squatting 305lbx3x5, and if you can move that weight, 225lb will feel so laughably light you'll be easily repping 20+ reps with that weight.

You could also try something like 5/3/1. The strength progression is slower, but it still forces you to add weight to the bar every cycle AND you also get to test your rep maxes since the last work set is an AMRAP (As Many Reps as Possible) set, so you do at least 5, 3, or 1 depending on the week, but you go all out. Best of all, since everything is programmed, you won't be operating by "feel", since your goals depend on hitting the reps prescribed by the program.

Best way to progress is always to add more weight to the bar. :) Whenever you get stronger, the reps follow, but not always the other way around.

Thanks for this guys. Definitely see what you mean. I'll put that into practice next week, and I'm honestly really bored of 12-10-8 so I look forward to changing it up and challenging myself in a new way. So no changing the weight at all in those 3 sets?

NH Apache

Banned
WTF my gym is closed until the 20th! And I'm paying for that month!?

I don't even know what I'm going to do, between nothing at all, going back to p90x for a while or doing some bodyweight exercise.

Mines closed from the 3rd through the 11th. Stupid University gym. No pro rate, nothing.

They give us an option to go to this shitty gym and that's their way of getting out of a partial refund.

Right. All I mean is go in there with more knowledge so you'll be able to tell if your trainer is full of shit or not. Being here is the best first step. You already know if they put your ass on a ball and have you do weird-ass ball squats with weights that they're a load of shit. Just be informed and bring it with you to the PT session.

Should I just ask them to tell me how to do all this properly with the body problems in mind? to be on the safe side

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH6umeeKTSc

and rob riches abs workout program. Which I found to be very good but I can't perform all of them right now as one of my leg is weak. Let the PT have me work to build muscles on the leg and then show me the right way to do them.

Haha! My daily pic updates aren't cool any more? Well darn.

Maybe? You most definitely should join the race! Ready, set, GO!
Uh no, please don't stop the pic updates. ;)

EDIT: BTW I've been confusing Cudder and Cooter for the past like 6 posts. I'm glad no one noticed. It's funny because they have distinctly different avatars.

Noema

So no changing the weight at all in those 3 sets?

Yeah, 3 sets accross. I'd start with 225lb. I know you can do more but this way you'll have more room to grow; it's better to start low than too heavy and stall soon.

So you could do:

45lbx5x2
135lbx3
185lbx2
225lbx5x3

Add 5lb to your work sets every session.

Cudder

Yeah, 3 sets accross. I'd start with 225lb. I know you can do more but this way you'll have more room to grow; it's better to start low than too heavy and stall soon.

So you could do:

45lbx5x2
135lbx3
185lbx2
225lbx5x3

Add 5lb to your work sets every session.

So it's not JUST 3 sets per workout? I'd do 4 sets of warmup with those lighter weights?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
hey IF pals - does your stomach go fucking ballistic when you finally get your feed window? I couldn't stay full, it devoured everything I threw at it, rumbling while full, really shredded all the food. Most days it doesn't do that but today, ye gods...

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member

You would be much better off going to a physio or kinesiologist than a PT to work out what you need to be doing. The odds that the staff at a regular commercial gym will be able to help you with this stuff are slim to none.

MjFrancis

That's most impressive!

Frank Yang's getting his physique down these days:

All made possible by his legendary 8,000 calories/day bulk last year:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Byfc6SBqM-w

Eating like that is so much harder than it looks. It's very enjoyable, however, and I look forward to being able to do such a thing again someday. It brings forth a surge of vitality that I imagine my barbarian ancestors used to pillage and plunder their neighbors - except I'm using it to add a few pounds to a barbell every week.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
GAF, I have recently noticed that my left arm is considerably slimmer than my right arm. I have always tried to work both arms symmetrically, but is kind of a challenge since my left arm gets tired way faster than my right arm.

Any tips to correct this?

Are woman as picky about fit guys as gays are?

Just had someone told me I'd look better at 7% BF When I normally hang around 9-12ish%. And people wonder why I'm constantly wanting to cut. -_-

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom

Just had someone told me I'd look better at 7% BF When I normally hang around 9-12ish%. And people wonder why I'm constantly wanting to cut. -_-

Dude you look Swole Turkey in your pic.

Acquire mass and crush them.

Not in my experience. That being said, I definitely know of women who have a preference towards leaner or bigger men. They don't know anything about lifting or body fat or how any of that works.

They are dumb. You are superior. You know this maaaaaaaaaaaaan.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
GAF, I have recently noticed that my left arm is considerably slimmer than my right arm. I have always tried to work both arms symmetrically, but is kind of a challenge since my left arm gets tired way faster than my right arm.

Any tips to correct this?

Use dumbbells when you can to help even out. Just replace some barbell work with DBs and it should start to even out

can u guys see if this is right according to wendler's 5/3/1
let say my max bench press is 130lbs
week 1
set 1 85lbs x5
set 2 95 x5
set 3 110 x 5

week 2
set 1 90 x3
set 2 105 x3
set 3 115 x3+

week 3
set 1 95 x3
set 2 110 x3
set 3 125 x1+

week 4 (deload)

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

No. I rarely hear women even bring up bf%

IceCold

That's most impressive!

Frank Yang's getting his physique down these days:

All made possible by his legendary 8,000 calories/day bulk last year:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Byfc6SBqM-w

Eating like that is so much harder than it looks. It's very enjoyable, however, and I look forward to being able to do such a thing again someday. It brings forth a surge of vitality that I imagine my barbarian ancestors used to pillage and plunder their neighbors - except I'm using it to add a few pounds to a barbell every week.

What an animal. Eating that much per day sounds brutal.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
The chipotle quesarito was ok. But I probably would still stick to the bowl.

Yeah I usually go with a double meat bowl and a quesadilla. More enjoyable (IMO) and also more food (3 servings of meat compared to 1 with the quesarito or 2 if you got a double meat quesadrito).

Imm0rt4l

Was going to start my workout today with ohp, both the squat rack and the cage were in use. one was being used for rows, and the squat rack was of course being used for curls.

Noema

can u guys see if this is right according to wendler's 5/3/1
let say my max bench press is 130lbs
week 1
set 1 85lbs x5
set 2 95 x5
set 3 110 x 5

week 2
set 1 90 x3
set 2 105 x3
set 3 115 x3+

week 3
set 1 95 x3
set 2 110 x3
set 3 125 x1+

week 4 (deload)

Looks about right.

Terrible gym session 325 Squat was a bust (4/3/3) as was the 195 Bench (5/4/4). I completed the 5RM 355 Deadlift on almost pure brute force, but I felt no energy, my head hurts and sleep is not cutting it.

It seems I am becoming more overtrained every day! I'll try to get my act together for Monday's session, or it seems I am going to reset and microload soon

blackflag

your apartments gym has better equipment than any apartment I've lived at. I always have no free weights and mostly useless accessory machines..

Yeah it's good. Dumbbells to 120 but they are really long and awkward for presses. Would be sick if that smith rack was free rack. I have one in my apartment though.

SeanR1221

Yeah I usually go with a double meat bowl and a quesadilla. More enjoyable (IMO) and also more food (3 servings of meat compared to 1 with the quesarito or 2 if you got a double meat quesadrito).

Yeah man bowl all the way nous I'm
Linda drunk
Now off of two many vodka red bulls but its cool its vacation you guys are great between train hard or tren hard or whatever starting Monday

Noema

Terrible gym session 325 Squat was a bust (4/3/3) as was the 195 Bench (5/4/4). I completed the 5RM 355 Deadlift on almost pure brute force, but I felt no energy, my head hurts and sleep is not cutting it.

It seems I am becoming more overtrained every day! I'll try to get my act together for Monday's session, or it seems I am going to reset and microload soon

Are you still squatting 3x a week? Maybe it's time to switch to advanced novice and squat heavy only on Monday / Friday and have a light day on Wednesday to allow more recovery.

And I wouldn't call that terrible. You are talking SS much further than most people do. I think you are doing a fantastic job that should be commended. It takes a lot of balls to keep adding weight to the squat every session.

Haxxor

Are you still adding weight to the bar on each cycle? If you are then, no. But to me, it seems you are doing one accessory too many for each lift day.
On press I would cut the Lat raises, On deadlift day I would cut the row, on Bench day I would cut the Krock Rows and on squat day I would cut the preacher curl and lying extensions and just do Barbell Curls + Reverse curls Zielman Curls

Did you do SS beginner stage? I think you could squeeze about 50/20 lb on the main lifts on that.[/B]

Abs - Squat heavier, squat heavier and squat heavier. And OHP
Arms - Do two accessory curls on Friday on Hypertrophy range (3x8-12 reps). Press and pull heavier. Dips and Chinups/pullups

Thank you, will try as advised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom